Ideas for generating money

Lieutenant Murty

Following on from the thread about the accounts, I think its clear that we need to find ways of generating more money so that we can propel ourselves back to the top. We have seen a few charlatans come & go and all the while we have hoped & waited for them to put in the money we need to make things better. The current board are great, but the reality is that they are not going to pump all of their money in so it.

The onus is on us, the fans to find ways to raise the money to get us to 55. We need to apply the spirit we had when we saved the club from going bust. There were some great fundraising ideas at the time, but not many of them have come to fruition.

I don't know what the answer is. I know that three things we like are football, beer and music. It would be great if we could get an alcohol licence for the fan zone. Selling 10,000 pints every week at £4 per pint would bring in enough to pay the wages of one or two decent pages. Also, with the biggest fan base in the world, there must be ways of getting people who can't make it to the games to contribute.

Any thoughts on how we can bring money in?

I've noticed that some charities that work with schools let them do fund-raisers and split the cash with them. We could do something like that with Poppy Scotland. Do a real promotional drive, selling in the street etc, and then split the cash between the club and Poppy Scotland. And that would just be November taken care of!

For me this is a must. The support needs to bear the responsibility of giving the board another financial string to their bow. Yes tickets, yes merchandise but something more much more. Scheme could be called The Twelth Man, shortened to The Twelth....

The Rangers pools used to be a great money spinner. I don't feel everyone buys into the money going into development.
Perhaps some new scheme could be initiated to immediately inject funds into the club. Scratch cards, lottery, premium bonds ............

Some of 'product' we already offer are hugely under utilised and poorly marketed. Most of it is staring us right in the face.

Just look at the tour situation. We should be making a better effort to promote these. Another poster pointed out Bayern fans couldn't get a tour when they were hear because it only runs on certain days. How many other visitors to the City have missed out?

Argyle House restaurant. High quality food the times I've been there, although I must admit havan't been in a while. It's basically part time with inconsistent opening times. Is there a restaurant in Glasgow with a better view? That place should be promoted better and should be difficult to get seated due to the demand. Unfortunately its not used to its full potential.

The stadium itself. One of the best in the UK and the world. Granted we let it go over the last few years but it's being brought back up to standard. How often is it a non-club event is hosted there? We should be pushing it as a venue for different sporting events at the very least.

As of next season a better retail operation.

How about this....we could set up a premium rate phone number and have a tape of gossip, news and team updates on a loop, updated as news came in. It would be read by club legends, like Bomber, Richard Gough and John Grieg. Bears would be phoning in from all over the world to get the honest truth from inside Ibrox and helping the club raise funds at the same time.

We could use the fanzone to have people rent Sumo suits and batter into each other for a fiver a pop.

Sell "permanent" seats. A seat for life. At a premium.

Was hoping this would be another thread suggesting bake sales and bouncy castles as the previous messageboard had

The fact we need a thread like this shows that those running the club are failing in their duties.

The appointment of a top level CEO and/or Commercial Director is urgently needed. Yes, the board inherited a shambles etc etc however we've seen very little progress to drive revenues since then.

A few ideas....

1 - Allow former Club Deck debenture holders (who lost their rights post liquidation) to re-purchase their rights for a reduced fee. 7000 Bond Holders x £300 = at least a mill if you assume 40% or so take the club up on the offer. Relatively straight forward way to bring money in.

2 - We've got a chunk of land in the Fan Zone, Edmiston House etc. Let's find a way to monetise it more on matchdays.

3 - The previous board brought in a membership scheme to allow fans to become a member without necessarily becoming a season ticket holder. Although it was a cynical cash grab, it was a good idea and helps to generate revenue from the international support who WANT to spend money and show support to the club. Let's find a way to bring this back. If we can get 10,000 international fans paying £100 a year, there's another million.

4 - The pitch ownership has been mentioned elsewhere. Due to events in our recent history, selling ownership to this gives reassurance that the club will never be asset stripped again. It also helps to raise more money, if done right this could be another million or two.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. For the first time in my life, it would be nice to see the club leading with ideas like this.

Always felt we should have a pitch owner type thing like at Chelsea, its a small powerful voice when some of the things that has been happening with the redevelopment of the bridge, and previous issues when Bates was the owner.
The CPO is non profit and was created to protect the club and stadium.

If Roman had decided to move them down to Battersea without the CPO voting for the action they could no longer use the name Chelsea Football Club. A big part in why the support are keeping their preferred choice of the traditional home at Stamford Bridge, rather than building a brand new stadium in the surrounding area.

For me this is a must. The support needs to bear the responsibility of giving the board another financial string to their bow. Yes tickets, yes merchandise but something more much more. Scheme could be called The Twelth Man, shortened to The Twelth....

I seen what you did there :eek::D

Away games that are televised should be shown at Ibrox - booze licence may be obtained as it is an entertainment venue and not a football match/ entertainment?

£10 entry, minimal security, nice profit

Add an extra 50 to the season ticket (optional) which gives you a 'free' home or away top plus 10% discount for 12 months off things like merchandise, programs, food and drinks, and RTV.

Not only does it boost sales in will also encourage take up of more products.

This could be packaged up as a membership??? Also non ST holders could buy one for say 60?

Before anyone starts picking at the detail....the amount extra and things like the rate of % off and what we can buy are all just suggestions but it is the concept itself that should be considered.

Add an extra 50 to the season ticket (optional) which gives you a 'free' home or away top plus 10% discount for 12 months off things like merchandise, programs, food and drinks, and RTV.

This could be packaged up as a membership??? Also non ST holders could buy one for say 60?

Before anyone starts picking at the detail....the amount extra and things like the rate of % off and what we can buy are all just suggestions but it is the concept itself that should be considered.

Quite like that idea!

That's a really good idea , I definitely think that some form of membership scheme is something we should be looking at

Every true fan sets up a DD for £10 a month over a certain amount of years. The more years you dedicate the more privileges you get. You’ll get a hospitality game. A young family member will get to be a mascot. More importantly you’ll get the sense of pride that you’re actively helping the greatest and most successful club in the world.

The fact we need a thread like this shows that those running the club are failing in their duties.

The appointment of a top level CEO and/or Commercial Director is urgently needed. Yes, the board inherited a shambles etc etc however we've seen very little progress to drive revenues since then.

A few ideas....

1 - Allow former Club Deck debenture holders (who lost their rights post liquidation) to re-purchase their rights for a reduced fee. 7000 Bond Holders x £300 = at least a mill if you assume 40% or so take the club up on the offer. Relatively straight forward way to bring money in.

2 - We've got a chunk of land in the Fan Zone, Edmiston House etc. Let's find a way to monetise it more on matchdays.

3 - The previous board brought in a membership scheme to allow fans to become a member without necessarily becoming a season ticket holder. Although it was a cynical cash grab, it was a good idea and helps to generate revenue from the international support who WANT to spend money and show support to the club. Let's find a way to bring this back. If we can get 10,000 international fans paying £100 a year, there's another million.

4 - The pitch ownership has been mentioned elsewhere. Due to events in our recent history, selling ownership to this gives reassurance that the club will never be asset stripped again. It also helps to raise more money, if done right this could be another million or two.

Just a few ideas off the top of my head. For the first time in my life, it would be nice to see the club leading with ideas like this.
How big is pitch

Feet wise

We could sell 12 inch of grass with a Cert of ownership

£100 a pop ?

How big is pitch

Feet wise

We could sell 12 inch of grass with a Cert of ownership

£100 a pop ?
I like that idea

116,000 square feet at £100 = £11.6 million

Selling the centre circle and penalty boxes for £200 could make that about £18 million

Selling the lot at £300 would generate £35 million - enough to see us through to #55

As suggested before, Rangers Lotto, which if supported correctly could become almost as big as the old Rangers Pools. The more folk put into the Rangers Lottery, the bigger the prize money becomes and rises exponentially, which in turn brings in even more money. Its win-win all round if utilised properly.

Going back to the old Rangers Pools for a second, the younger Bears might not be aware just how big a money-spinner it really was for our club. So much so that reps from Man United were up from Old Trafford to learn from us on how to maximise potential club income. That's how massive the Rangers Pools was. We can do it again, Bears, if we really want to.

Hire a player or legend for a lunch. £200 gets you a player or legend that you can meet up with and have a lunch with and talk about all things Rangers. Players make them self available after training which you’ll attend or a legend can accompany you to a match.

Hire a player or legend for a lunch. £200 gets you a player or legend that you can meet up with and have a lunch with and talk about all things Rangers. Players make them self available after training which you’ll attend or a legend can accompany you to a match.
Can't wait to hear this explained to new signings. '... and of course as a player at our great club, you are contractually obliged to allow a red-faced Glaswegian with more money than sense to call you "fuckin' shite" over lunch if they pay the club £200 for your company'

Investing in a Colorado cannabis factory Or even buying up land in favourable growing areas in England - Summer is coming

As suggested before, Rangers Lotto, which if supported correctly could become almost as big as the old Rangers Pools. The more folk put into the Rangers Lottery, the bigger the prize money becomes and rises exponentially, which in turn brings in even more money. Its win-win all round if utilised properly.

Going back to the old Rangers Pools for a second, the younger Bears might not be aware just how big a money-spinner it really was for our club. So much so that reps from Man United were up from Old Trafford to learn from us on how to maximise potential club income. That's how massive the Rangers Pools was. We can do it again, Bears, if we really want to.
Really really is the simplest way to do it... Get signed up now!!!

Install fish eye cameras around the mid section of the stands and sell virtual season tickets - no commentary, just an open mic and a camera with a decent view

I’d even pay a pound or two for Rangers radio - just steam the audio for everything on Rangers TV

Last edited:
Every fan should have a Rangers TV subscription, irrespective of where you're based. Brings in a lot of money, all of which goes to the club, and annual subscriptions are more than affordable. Easy to get it to work with a free VPN too, just install google chrome as your web browser and add the 'hola' extension to it. I'm sure some tech-minded person could stick up a 2 minute youtube video of how to sort it out.

We could generate money from all the folk not buying kits or merchandise for the last 4 years. That's about 160 quid they could invest into the club rather than moan about not getting the current top for 19.99 anymore.

There's a difference between activism and clicking retweet and sharing on Facebook of course, however couch activism could be good. If fan membership fees were a thing, and it was a month to month sub for a couple quid, it would help take care of some of the wages and help fund 1 or 2 more players.

Buy a 3D printer, print more 3D printers, sell spare 3D printers
That made me laugh, I was in the Dam in Jan, and we stumbled into a 3D printer shop,( it sells stuff made by the 3D printer rather than selling 3D printers!) and I spotted a tiny 3D printer, and complemented the owner on his dry wit.

How many match day programme's do we sell on an average home game ?
Why not increase every season ticket by £50 - £60 per year and every time that you swipe your smart card at the turnstile someone on the inside hands you a programme. All non season ticket fans could still purchase one at the full price.

Following the Tims' route of buying players in the Far East to expand the brand and to open ourselves up to a larger market in terms of commercial partners.

We should also consider having a 'training wear' sponsor, and a match day kit sponsor. Man Utd made more from their training sponsorship deal with DHS than most other clubs made from their match day kit sponsors.

It's imperative that the club finds ways to expand our commercial revenue post-Sports Direct.

Back