If all Rangers players cared as much as Allan McGregor they wouldn’t be failing, says Kris Boyd

I agree with KB. When we had a team of Proddies and Masons ,they fought for the jersey and they were proud to wear it because they knew what it meant to the guys who paid their money to stand on the terracings in the rain and sleet to cheer on the team. Most were from Scotland with the occasional foreigner thrown into the mix so they all knew the score. Nowadays, we have a team of overpaid mercenaries who will down tools as we have seen the last few weeks, if things don't go their way or they get tackled.

Maybe we need to go back to the "bad old days" and play the Scottish teams the way they play us with crunching tackles, time wasting, wee fly kicks when the ref's not looking etc. Then when the mhedia go to town on us,tell them to take a flying f*** to themselves as we are past caring about what they say.
What a joke of a post.

I agree with KB. When we had a team of Proddies and Masons ,they fought for the jersey and they were proud to wear it because they knew what it meant to the guys who paid their money to stand on the terracings in the rain and sleet to cheer on the team. Most were from Scotland with the occasional foreigner thrown into the mix so they all knew the score. Nowadays, we have a team of overpaid mercenaries who will down tools as we have seen the last few weeks, if things don't go their way or they get tackled.

Maybe we need to go back to the "bad old days" and play the Scottish teams the way they play us with crunching tackles, time wasting, wee fly kicks when the ref's not looking etc. Then when the mhedia go to town on us,tell them to take a flying f*** to themselves as we are past caring about what they say.
Our team has plenty issues right now, the lack of Proddys and Masons being the least of them. These kind of comments were becoming unfashionable in the mid-90s.

Not sure that KB is the best guy to be delivering that message, considering the nick he was in during his second term with us. We had guys sitting eating pies in the Copland in better physical condition than Kris was. Some fair points otherwise!

Boyd won us titles, albeit divided the support but credit where it's due, he was the difference between silverware and silver medals. Our current crop have it all to prove. Boyd and Ferguson delivered. All credit to them, we partied on their efforts, the current team look like they need rebuilt but I'd love a Big Marv type effort to drag them over the line and shut the doubters up. I just don't know if we have Marv's belief in us.

I'm sure the players care they're just not consistent enough when it matters but we're improving, just not as quickly as some would like.

‘It’, what is it?!

Getting it or not getting it is such lazy analysis, you expect it from fans but Boyd gets paid for that. Funny how they all got it on the 29th of Dec but now they don’t.

The truth is there’s no silver bullet in terms of what’s gone wrong, we’ve been disrupted by injuries and suspensions, we’ve struggled to play at a high tempo (it’s not just a case of running faster), teams have sat deeper and because of the above we’ve struggled with that.

The players may not get it but they definitely want it.

Big Alex McLeish also tried to take me to Birmingham for a lot more than I was on at Ibrox.

But I didn’t want to go. Why? Because I hadn’t won anything.

See this is what pisses me off about Boyd. Have a go but at least be factual if you're going to do it.

McLeish tried to sign him in January 2009. By which time he had scored 4 goals in 2 cup finals and won both.

And Ryan Jack 'gets it' more than James Tavernier, Scott Arfield or Connor Goldson ? Based on what ?
Its that old chestnut of 'knows what it's all about'.

Basically Boyd wants a team full of fans/his pals.

Strange though, cause neither Lafferty or McAuley, both of whom would fall into both categories, were worth having. In fact McAuley seems to get off Scot free when last January's fateful kilmarnock game is discussed. His backing off from Jones was every bit as bad as Worrall's shite pass, and it wasn't his only error in our shirt either. Villarreal apart, the less said about Lafferty the better. Every bit as much of a waste of money as Grezda, and I reckon probably on a higher weekly wage too.

Kris might not be the brightest and gets dates wrong but his sentiment is spot on.
I am glad he called out Kent, it needed to be done and I hope the manager has done it.

Goldson does not get it. If he did he wouldnt be star gazing while Brophy got in behind him. Switching off isn't getting it.

Tavernier doesn't get it, he gets it when we are winning, but when the chips are down, he is up shanking crosses for goal kicks or marauding up the park when he should be digging in at the back.

Arfield might get it, but it means not a jot if you are getting out played by guys like Power and Dicker.

Kent got it while on loan, but does he get it now hes got nothing to fight for in terms of getting a move?

Barisic gets it. Raised his game and not afraid to give some stick when he gets niggled.

Jack gets it, but as above with Arfield.

Gerrard gets it. If you put boots on him aye. But he stood and watched midweek and did nothing.

Morelos doesnt get it. Hes a terrific player, but the it that Boyd refers to isn't just about ability. Diving isn't it. Carrying thre team every week doesn't always mean you have it. I love the guy, but hes let us down on a number of occasions.

That's the high profile ones, that is our stars. But that is the reality. Turning up against the mentally challengeds but not against your Stranrers is not getting it.

Apart from McGregor, are the rest really getting it? When it is crunch time in games, who has never failed us?

Get it seems to be the new codeword for being Scottish or Northern Irish
Usual knee jerk reaction to a set back get rid of the foreigners and the management team
Wednesday was grim but it doesn't merit ripping up and starting again
Some players clearly not up to the pressure at the moment. Managers job to assess those who will develop and those who won't.
One thing is clear though at least one of those named as getting it should never start a game for us again.
Getting it is not a substitute for a lack of ability or smart decision making

IT’S like they don’t have the first idea of what’s at stake for Rangers this season.

Either that or they couldn’t care less.

Kris Boyd believes every Rangers player should care as much as McGregor
Steven Gerrard, Allan McGregor, Steven Davis and Ryan Jack all get it. I reckon you can say the same for Andy Halliday and Gary McAllister.

In my book, they are hurting because they are doing everything to stop Celtic winning nine in a row.

But the rest? I look at that Rangers team and don’t see nearly enough determination to win this league title.

I see players who are failing their manager and supporters.

Andy Halliday was devastated at full time
Gerrard pointed fingers at them after last Wednesday’s defeat to Kilmarnock at Rugby Park — and he was 100 per cent spot-on.

If anyone in that changing room wasn’t happy with what their gaffer had to say in front of the TV cameras then they need to wake up and realise what’s going on.

Celtic are on the verge of history here.

This isn’t just any title that’s up for grabs, it’s one which means the world to Gers fans.

Yet I look at that team at the moment and genuinely wonder if enough of them even know what it’s all about.

Gerrard is bursting with passion. You can see the emotion in his eyes whenever he speaks and I love that about him.

This is a guy, remember, who went his entire playing career being grilled on Liverpool’s failure to win the title.

I reckon he’d give anything to be part of Jurgen Klopp’s team this season.

Gers boss Steven Gerrard took full responsibility
For everything else he achieved in the game, Gerrard must be sick of the suggestion he wasn’t good enough to lift a championship.

So this is his chance to address that as a manager and write his name into the history books as the man who stopped Celtic’s domination.

You just need to look at the way Gerrard spoke after that defeat to Killie to see how much it means to him.

I saw it, too, looking at Greegsy’s face on his way off the pitch. He was seething.

Davo didn’t get off the bench but I can just picture his anger afterwards. Jack has always struck me as a boy who understands what Rangers is all about.

Halliday has been a supporter, but I’ll take him out of this because he’s hardly played this season. It’s the guys who are there every week, picking up big money for doing nowhere near enough.

Ryan Kent cost £7million. That’s huge money for Gers to be shelling out on someone who has delivered next to nothing in return.

Celtic spent the same amount of cash on Christopher Jullien and he’s scored seven goals to Kent’s six. He’s a centre-back!

Kent failed to impress again
James Forrest has also been slaughtered by his own fans when the stats show he’s scored 16 goals in all competitions and had 19 assists.

Kent has set up just FOUR goals. I’m sorry, but how can that be good enough? How is that justifying your wages?

For me it’s indicative of the Rangers team which is full of players who wander around the club like lottery winners.

Think of it this way. Alfredo Morelos probably has a move in him. He’s got a chance of progressing in his career and stepping up.

But who else could you say that about right now? I can’t think of anyone in that team.

It’s like they have hit the ceiling of their careers and they know it.

There’s no real hunger to be winners and actually do something which will be talked about for years. I hate harking back to my time as a Rangers player, but not long after I joined the club I could have gone to Russia for what would have been monumental money for me personally.

Big Alex McLeish also tried to take me to Birmingham for a lot more than I was on at Ibrox.

But I didn’t want to go. Why? Because I hadn’t won anything.

I’d scored goals and lived out my dream of pulling on the No 9 shirt.

That wasn’t enough. I wanted to lift trophies and titles and be part of a group that could say we achieved something.

I wasn’t the only one who felt that way either. Our team was bursting with boys who were driven to win. It was an obsession. Every single minute of every single day.

I just don’t see that in this current lot. I thought they had it, as everyone did, including Celtic supporters, after that Old Firm win at the end of December.

But that was a false dawn. Rangers, in the three games against Celts so far this season, have been the better team. But that’s not what wins titles.

It’s about a mentality to grind out wins when you are not playing well.

It’s about fighting harder than the guy you are up against and it’s about having pride in the jersey you are wearing and the supporters you are representing.

Gerrard has it, but there aren’t enough people around him who can look themselves in the mirror and say the same.

Would imagine a lot of players at HTC will not like reading this piece from Boyd, it's called the truth, hitting the nail squarely on the head.

In each and every game since returning from the break our side has lack determination, drive, passion and desire. Surely there is not one fan who has witnessed these games can be anywhere satisfied with the effort put in by a lot of our players.

I know for myself, I feel as if I been am watching a side playing as though there is nothing at stake, almost as though we are sitting comfortably mid-table, neither involved in a title race or relegation scrap.

Unfortunately if we do get a positive reaction from the players and they suddenly find some inner belief, desire and determination, it will be 6 league games to late, 6 games where we tossed away a genuine title challenge and stop 9IAR into the bargain. Ultimately that is how this current squad will be remembered.

Halliday gets it, but he's brutal at football and his performance in midweek was not the standard of a Rangers player.

Kent gets it, he gives his all but he's clearly struggling right now. He's got ability in abundance but is going through a tough spell. That doesn't mean he doesn't get it.

Goldson gets it. Katić gets it, Barišić gets it. I'd imagine Hagi gets it given his father's career and influence in world football.

We all know the player and person Steven Gerrard was. Again, he gets it but that doesn't stop him continually making errors and failing to learn from his mistakes.

It's not just about getting it.

Goldson does not get it. If he did he wouldnt be star gazing while Brophy got in behind him. Switching off isn't getting it.

Tavernier doesn't get it, he gets it when we are winning, but when the chips are down, he is up shanking crosses for goal kicks or marauding up the park when he should be digging in at the back.

Arfield might get it, but it means not a jot if you are getting out played by guys like Power and Dicker.

Kent got it while on loan, but does he get it now hes got nothing to fight for in terms of getting a move?

Barisic gets it. Raised his game and not afraid to give some stick when he gets niggled.

Jack gets it, but as above with Arfield.

Gerrard gets it. If you put boots on him aye. But he stood and watched midweek and did nothing.

Morelos doesnt get it. Hes a terrific player, but the it that Boyd refers to isn't just about ability. Diving isn't it. Carrying thre team every week doesn't always mean you have it. I love the guy, but hes let us down on a number of occasions.

That's the high profile ones, that is our stars. But that is the reality. Turning up against the mentally challengeds but not against your Stranrers is not getting it.

Apart from McGregor, are the rest really getting it? When it is crunch time in games, who has never failed us?

Changing my name to Prod Derbybear so I can be staunch as ……..

That is some stat ref Forrest over Kent ,have they played same amount of games?Our ratio of goals outside of Alfie is why we are where we are

I think they all need to step up their game. Some of the team have been nothing but dreadful some game yet phenomenal in others. They need to be more consistent

Glad someone is having a go at Kent etc. Hopefully at some point the likes of aribo grow a set

it's nothing to do with "getting it" whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.In every sport there are those that are driven to win and there are losers.losers are the ones who ,train well,Talk well,act the part well,play to the gallery. Then when the pressure is on ,When the guy in the other team is running harder,faster,and flying into tackles they wilt,they hide,they look around for someone else to set the example.We have far too many who don't want to go that extra yard when things get tough .Too many losers.

Halliday has been a supporter, but I’ll take him out of this because he’s hardly played this season. It’s the guys who are there every week, picking up big money for doing nowhere near enough.

Why you leaving him out Kris ? Just a couple of paragraphs earlier you said he 'got it'. He might get it but clearly that means eff all when he can't close down the right back to stop him equalising on Wednesday.

See this is the problem, being the biggest bluenose in the dressing room isn't some sort of 'get out of jail' card you can wave about. Halliday might 'get it' but the likes of Goldson and Kent have done way more to even get us within a sniff of the title in the first place.
FFS.
You make a mistake and you dont get it, honestly?

Maybe twenty years ago I would have agreed with him although there is an element of truth in what he’s saying. The game is far more professional these days so thongs like tactics and adapting formations are quite important too.

FFS.
You make a mistake and you dont get it, honestly?

Andy Halliday gets it but what good is that if he's several levels down compared to the rest of his team mates ?

The idea that him and Ryan Jack are exempt in Boyd's eyes but Connor Goldson and James Tavernier aren't is absolutely ludicrous and does nothing except perpetuate an "us and them" divide in the dressing room.

Look at Goldson. You can tell from his comments and his actions that he absolutely despises Celtic. Same goes for Kent.

Borna for me at the moment, tav gets it also he must be desperate to win
There all desperate to win WS, however mistakes are constantly being punished.

The Boyd article is a piece of nonsense, He really has a short memory considering his half hearted attempt during his second spell, that waistline alone told you he wasnt getting it.

FFS during his first spell he was taking off in a cup final due to the 23 degree heat.

He really has a short memory, i only wish in 2014 his waistline was as short.

Kent punched Broon but doesn't get it? Pish.

Boyd is playing to the gallery and playing favourites. Pathetic article actually.

Did Advocaat's superstars get it or were they just better than the opposition? Did our teams in the 80s not get it because they were shite, even though most had probably grown up as fans?

Morelos fkcing apologised for missing a penalty against the scum - does he not get it? He's off form. The team is off form. That is the beginning and end of it.

'Getting it' is becoming embarrassing patter.

Andy Halliday gets it but what good is that if he's several levels down compared to the rest of his team mates ?

The idea that him and Ryan Jack are exempt in Boyd's eyes but Connor Goldson and James Tavernier aren't is absolutely ludicrous and does nothing except perpetuate an "us and them" divide in the dressing room.

Look at Goldson. You can tell from his comments and his actions that he absolutely despises Celtic. Same goes for Kent.
Who's fault is that?
Gerrard knew in the summer that we required to up our game and improve the squad in most positions.

Bizarely he thought that Barker,Hastie,Jones,King, Stewart and Ojo would make up the deficit between us and the filth.
Where was the Number 10 capable of filling a massive hole behind Alfredo , where was the left back we so badly needed bearing in mind Borna's future was unsure?

Ive stated in a post above that Boyd has a short memory, he is indeed being extremely selective in his article and Agree with you in regards Goldson.

Kent however has to do better, 4 assists in the middle of February isnt a good return, that said, again i agree he gets it.

Boyd is playing to the gallery and playing favourites. Pathetic article actually.

Did Advocaat's superstars get it or were they just better than the opposition? Did our teams in the 80s not get it because they were shite, even though most had probably grown up as fans?

Morelos fkcing apologised for missing a penalty against the scum - does he not get it? He's off form. The team is off form. That is the beginning and end of it.

Get it doesn’t mean just being aggressive on the park.
It means channeling this energy to ensure you win at any cost. It means you have the determination and confidence to know you will make it happen.

Our team is full of players with a fragile mentality who have barely won a thing in football.

Did you say that end of December?

This team deserve our full backing for the progress made in last few years.

Some fans have zero fight in them and just expect instant success.
Absolutely ridiculous if they can’t see a bigger picture which will cost us more leagues than a couple of defeats in a season.
Surely it’s a two way street , perhaps the fans are disheartened by repeated capitulation , false dawns and the clubs continued inability to fight its corner.

It means channeling this energy to ensure you win at any cost. It means you have the determination and confidence to know you will make it happen.

Our team is full of players with a fragile mentality who have barely won a thing in football.

So in the early 80s, given we won no leagues (oh and why not chuck in the 9iar years of the scum) the problem was the players didn't get it? Because they didn't win at all costs, so they couldn't have got it. Right?

I agree with a lot of that I think the next 2 games will show if they are hurting , starting today I fully expect a 4/5 goal humping fur livi , but will I get it??

The problem is, as someone said above, Boyd has decided to pick favourites to define who gets it and who doesn't.

Boyd says Ryan Jack gets it. That'll be the same Ryan Jack who has never won a thing at Ibrox and was part of a team who lost to the 4th best side in Luxembourg.

But Connor Goldson, James Tavernier and Ryan Kent don't because..what ? They're English ?

So in the early 80s, given we won no leagues (oh and why not chuck in the 9iar years of the scum) the problem was the players didn't get it? Because they didn't win at all costs, so they couldn't have got it. Right?

It isn’t that black and white.
The players have to be good enough players to start with. They then have to be good enough and have the mentality to play with a club like us and cope with the pressures and the demands that come their way.
We have signed good players who have just not done it at our club as the demands were too much for them.
I believe as does Boyd it seems there are quite a few players who when they going gets tough on the pitch mentally crumble.
They start to avoid taking risks to achieve anything, they avoid if they can doing anything in case the crowd gets on their back, their game crumbles and they start making errors.
However where he is wrong is probably on Gerrard. He has made a lot of pointless awful signings who have done nothing like Grezda, Ejaria, Barker, Ojo etc. We then have the 2nd largest fee the club has spent on Kent.
The investment on him and the return we have had is not acceptable, the scums CH has a better number of goals scored and on assists also probably. You can count the good games he has had for the club on Ann Boleyn’s hand.

It isn’t that black and white.

That part of your post is spot on and is exactly why Boyd's article is a load of shite.

The rest is a bit of a ramble. You don't like Kent, I get it. You used to have a bee in your bonnet about Ryan Jack until you could no longer make any coherent argument that he wasn't good. Now you've moved to Kent. And just ignoring his injury this season, his age, the fact ALL young players have form dips, and the fact the 7million price tag said nothing but he was bought from England.

Enjoy Boyd's article. It's written for you.

The problem is, as someone said above, Boyd has decided to pick favourites to define who gets it and who doesn't.

Boyd says Ryan Jack gets it. That'll be the same Ryan Jack who has never won a thing at Ibrox and was part of a team who lost to the 4th best side in Luxembourg.

But Connor Goldson, James Tavernier and Ryan Kent don't because..what ? They're English ?

I think we have a load of players who crumble when we are behind and their natural game falls apart.
If you want me to name names then I will.

Like yourself I disagree with Boyd on some of the names but I agree on the general point.
The players I think who will never have the bottle to win anything are Tavernier, Goldson, Kent and Jack.

It has nothing to do with nationality and has to do from the clubs they came from and what they had achieved and also why some weren’t able to make the step up in class to move on.
When the pressure ramps up and we don’t score or we lose a goal their game disintegrates in front of you.

We have other players who are just not good enough to play for us like Flanagan , Halliday, Barker, Stewart. We have other players who do have the class needed but at the end of their careers like Shagger, Davis, Defoe.

We have other players who I think are young and talented and would thrive with better quality players around them like Barisic, Katic, Kamara and Aribo and even Morelos.

Morelos is a very strange one a great wee player who has scored so many great and varied goals but seems to crack with the pressure and desire to win certain games which results in his temperament getting the better of him and over ruling his natural game.
I feel a lot of them might be due to the burden the rest of the team put him under when there arses collapse in certain games.

The ones who don’t get it then, who signed them?

Gerrard paid £7m for Kent but continues to start him every game despite how ineffectual he’s been.

He signed Goldson who despite being very good for most of this season was at fault for at least one Kilmarnock goal the other night yet will likely still be in the starting line up today.

If Davis gets it, why wasn’t he on the pitch?

And Tav, a guy Gerrard inherited as skipper but fails to convince as one. Change it. Give it to someone else.

These are the big decisions that big managers will make in pursuit of success.

There can be no room for sentiment.

Relying on younger players to make the difference this season was always a big ask.
McGregor
Foderingham
Tavernier
Flanagan
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Arfield
Jack
Davis
Polster
Stewart
Jones
Defoe
The idea that we’re some sort of young team is Nonsense

The stats for Kent are pretty poor tbh. Very talented footballer just needs that bit more week in week out to fulfill his potential.

Does Boyd even get it? He was a disgrace in his second stint, and had the same attitude problem the first time round

I don't get why Ryan Jack has suddenly being considered some kind of winner. He's spent his career losing semis and finals to Celtic, let's be honest.

‘Getting it’ is the biggest myth in football
Manchester United and Chelsea have squads full of players who ‘get it’
Who in the Liverpool team ‘gets it’ Alexander-Arnold? Struggle to find one in the City squad who gets it

No doubt Gerrard gets that we need to stop 10 in a row. That doesn’t mean he knows how to do it
Same with the players. They know they need to win but they don’t know how to

Ability, knowing how to get over the line, handling the pressure, standing up to be counted. None of it has anything to do with wether a player ‘gets it’ or not

It's true, though.

Playing for Rangers isn't like playing for any other club, especially under the current circumstances.

Fancy boys like Aribo, Kamara and Ojo, to name but three, just don't get it.

We need guys prepared to go in where it hurts, to fight and die for the jersey. The three above ( there are others ) just won't do.

They don't "get it "

If we had 11 who shared McGregors in the refs face about every wrong decision we'd certainly be doing better.

It's true, though.

Playing for Rangers isn't like playing for any other club, especially under the current circumstances.

Fancy boys like Aribo, Kamara and Ojo, to name but three, just don't get it.

We need guys prepared to go in where it hurts, to fight and die for the jersey. The three above ( there are others ) just won't do.

They don't "get it "

Great, let's get 11 Andy Hallidays on the pitch playing shite football but all 'getting it'.

Does Boyd even get it? He was a disgrace in his second stint, and had the same attitude problem the first time round

Took Boyd until his third season before he won anything at Ibrox. Before that he was part of a team that lost 0-3 to Hibs at home in the Scottish Cup, 0-2 at home to Championship St Johnstone in the League Cup, 2-3 to Dunfermline in the Scottish Cup, lost home and away to Inverness, lost to Falkirk and finished third in the league.

Did he question whether himself or the players (his pals like Ferguson, McGregor, Hutton etc) got it during that time ?

Back