If all Rangers players cared as much as Allan McGregor they wouldn’t be failing, says Kris Boyd

‘Getting it’ is the biggest myth in football
Manchester United and Chelsea have squads full of players who ‘get it’
Who in the Liverpool team ‘gets it’ Alexander-Arnold? Struggle to find one in the City squad who gets it

No doubt Gerrard gets that we need to stop 10 in a row. That doesn’t mean he knows how to do it
Same with the players. They know they need to win but they don’t know how to

Ability, knowing how to get over the line, handling the pressure, standing up to be counted. None of it has anything to do with wether a player ‘gets it’ or not

Your last paragraph. Handling the pressure, standing up, focusing your desire to win at any cost, using the hate as self motivation that to me is GETTING IT.
It really isn’t to do with nationality, religion, colour.
Look at the likes of Albertz, Novo, Prso etc they don’t really fit in with that narrow definition of getting it which Boyd is implying to an extent.

However they had what I said in vast amounts.

Kris Boyd dishing out advice on commitment and ‘what it takes’?!?

Let me just grab a notepad.

Wage thief second time around.

We need that type of player to gee up the team when things go flat. Like we need a ballwinner to help out the more talented midfielders. Every team does

We had that type of player on the pitch on Wednesday. In fact that very player! He didn't gee anyone up as far as I saw?

McGregor was there too - did he gee anyone up?

The fact is we buy in players from other teams and countries and they may never 'get it'. Doesn't mean we get rid. We just need them to be on form, good players. Like under Advocaat. Gio didn't 'get it' - he didn't need to, he was just a class midfielder. I could rattle off loads of players who won titles based on ability rather than some unquantifiable concept of 'getting it'.

Beyond understanding that winning is the most important thing and that other teams hate us, which most of our squad 'get', the 'get it' stuff is BS and just used because people are frustrated.

McGregor
Foderingham
Tavernier
Flanagan
Goldson
Helander
Barisic
Halliday
Arfield
Jack
Davis
Polster
Stewart
Jones
Defoe
The idea that we’re some sort of young team is Nonsense

In lieu of a reply from Dylan I'll say that Aribo and Ojo were clearly recruited to be first team starters, two youngish guys with little experience of the pressures of playing for a big club in front of 50,000 demanding supporters. Neither have convinced.

I said at the time last summer that we needed straight out of the box quality additions to the midfield and right attacking berths, guys that would likely have cost a few million each. Instead we got these two.

That always looked hopeful to me.

I think we have a load of players who crumble when we are behind and their natural game falls apart.
If you want me to name names then I will.

Like yourself I disagree with Boyd on some of the names but I agree on the general point.
The players I think who will never have the bottle to win anything are Tavernier, Goldson, Kent and Jack.

It has nothing to do with nationality and has to do from the clubs they came from and what they had achieved and also why some weren’t able to make the step up in class to move on.
When the pressure ramps up and we don’t score or we lose a goal their game disintegrates in front of you.

We have other players who are just not good enough to play for us like Flanagan , Halliday, Barker, Stewart. We have other players who do have the class needed but at the end of their careers like Shagger, Davis, Defoe.

We have other players who I think are young and talented and would thrive with better quality players around them like Barisic, Katic, Kamara and Aribo and even Morelos.

Morelos is a very strange one a great wee player who has scored so many great and varied goals but seems to crack with the pressure and desire to win certain games which results in his temperament getting the better of him and over ruling his natural game.
I feel a lot of them might be due to the burden the rest of the team put him under when there arses collapse in certain games.

I think your opinion is always worth reading and thought out but you must realise if you think those players are our weakest links then Celtic have a free run at the title for years to come.

Three of those players SG rates as his best leaders.

I think you are mixing up personal favourites with ability to be frank and I think the real reason as you refer to is that in reality we are simply not as good as the Beggars overall.

I don't think it's too different from what you are suggesting but I think the overall conclusion is collectively they are not good enough and some of that's down to their age I don't think it's individual players as you suggest-we simply don't have the right balance of youth, ability and experience.

Don't know the answer to why we haven't performed since the winter break but if we need to tell our team what's at stake this season then we are truly fu**ed.Im sorry if people are saying this player and that player get it because their Rangers fans im afraid thats not enough.The minimum any player needs is 100% effort every game as we would all give if we had the chance.Ask your self, player for player we are every bit as good if not better than Celtic throughout the team(when they all perform as they can) so is it mindset or what is the problem.We proved before the break we could match them so what has happened since?

In lieu of a reply from Dylan I'll say that Aribo and Ojo were clearly recruited to be first team starters, two youngish guys with little experience of the pressures of playing for a big club in front of 50,000 demanding supporters. Neither have convinced.

I said at the time last summer that we needed straight out of the box quality additions to the midfield and right attacking berths, guys that would likely have cost a few million each. Instead we got these two.

That always looked hopeful to me.

I think you can add Kent to that as well-he's still developing and Morelos whilst you can hardly complain as he does carry the team has lost a bit of momentum-he's not a robot. Having your back up striker injured is also a massive blow.

Whilst the club has done everything in overall terms there's not enough quality.

Great, let's get 11 Andy Hallidays on the pitch playing shite football but all 'getting it'.

It’s the sort of prehistoric attitude that keeps Scottish football at an embarrassing level. Aribo is young and fairly inexperienced, same with Ojo. Sometimes players just aren’t at that level yet, sometimes they don’t click with the manager. It’s not always the case they don’t get it because they don’t boot players and jump into tackles.

Halliday obviously does get it, but he’s brutal to watch and if it’s a choice between an Aribo or a Halliday then yeah give me the guy who doesn’t ‘get it’ over the one who does.

Getting it isn't hard-ffs Pedro got it he repeated it early doors and the punters bought into that....he didn't have much ability though.

I think the players get it and give their all (in general terms) but if you are a bit short on experience and off form or experienced and off form no amount of effort is going to save you. These things are tied together players can adapt and develop but Barisic style massive improvements are rare players tend to go up and down....and we've seen most of our players do that this season now-simply after the break theres been a combination of injuries and a collective slump.....if SG had a Celtic quality squad he would have been able to change it by bringing in better players and again the club has tried with the young Haji to bridge the gap......

Back