If EPL clubs go bust, a possible British League to replace them ?

bearspakora

If the worst comes to the worst for many clubs down in England, perhaps SKY and others would look for other options ? An unlikely scenario, but we live in extraordinary times.

This is my third posting on this subject, and I don't see football in the UK remaining in it's present state, I think we will see by invite only come into play when all this is over.

Absolute pie in the sky, English clubs for a start don't want anything to do with Scottish clubs and neither do their fans. If any EPL clubs goes bust then the next placed club beneath promotional place from the Championship will take their place.

For me personally id like to see sky n bt get absolutely fckn pumped,,pull out of football, 80% of the utter dross up here go under, about 30% of the English clubs go under and a British league formed.
I know its not everyones cup of tea but im still a bitter and twisted cnt.
Let those wee shitty teams like hearts n hivs go to the wall. FCK THEM ALL

It’s really difficult to say until we see the eventual damage but that could be a silver lining of this very dark cloud. Getting away from being dictated to solely by the SFA and SPFL and the underlying issues of that would be a godsend.

Absolute pie in the sky, English clubs for a start don't want anything to do with Scottish clubs and neither do their fans. If any EPL clubs goes bust then the next placed club beneath promotional place from the Championship will take their place.
Apart from the money I don’t see the fascination with joining an English league.
The events of the past few days regarding salary cuts and delaying the cancellation of the leagues due to loss of tv revenues reinforces my view that no matter how much it is hyped up I would rather not be part of a soulless set up such as the EPL.
To the thousands making a quick buck on the back of it enjoy it while it lasts but it will thankfully not be funded by me.

I'm not saying it will happen, in all likely hood it won't but to rule anything out in these uncertain times. Well only a fool would do that.....

Apart from the money I don’t see the fascination with joining an English league.
The events of the past few days regarding salary cuts and delaying the cancellation of the leagues due to loss of tv revenues reinforces my view that no matter how much it is hyped up I would rather not be part of a soulless set up such as the EPL.
To the thousands making a quick buck on the back of it enjoy it while it lasts but it will thankfully not be funded by me.

Totally agree. I've got a foot in both camps as I follow both Rangers and Newcastle United. The SPL has it's flaws for sure but give me that any day compared to the EPL. £50m+ transfers for average players, £250,000+ a week wages for average players, image rights, grounds becoming more of a tourist attraction than a football stadium etc etc. It's awful and I hate it. It's just not the real world.

Bang on the money PROD

I'm not saying it will happen, in all likely hood it won't but to rule anything out in these uncertain times. Well only a fool would do that.....

Ok without being a fool, give me one reason why any club in England would want a non starter like a British League ? Would Linfield or Colraine be asked to play in it too ? After all they are British....
I don't buy into this TV dictates argument either, the EPL is a product, its manufactured purely for Television by the TV companies and sponsors, they want to keep it like that, and it will, as tough as times might be their League structure won't change, English clubs and English fans don't want Rangers or Celtic joining their set up, or any other Club fwiw, they need all the money they can get. Call me all the fools in the world but It will never happen.

Not a chance of any Scottish team joining the EPL , I live in Barrow in Furness & Barrow Afc are top of the league & just about to win promotion to the football league before the health epidemic started , there is talk here that they will miss out now as the lower leagues will be nil & void , these teams like barrow & the supporters don't want any outside teams to join the lower leagues never mind going straight into the top 2 leagues , am afraid the Scottish clubs are stuck in Scotland no matter the out come of this epidemic, there's hundreds of lower league teams to fill the void in top English clubs fold

Aye....and if those Cocker-knees ignore the stay at home ban this weekend or next, getting us all banned, then I can see a "Division" between us and them forming!

If the EU was to put restrictions in like non essential travel for a period that may open the door to cross border games across the UK. Money talks and Rangers would generate a big revenue if that was to become the case

For me personally id like to see sky n bt get absolutely fckn pumped,,pull out of football, 80% of the utter dross up here go under, about 30% of the English clubs go under and a British league formed.
I've never forgotten and till the day I die, I never fckn will. These Cnts all tried to kill us, kill our culture in one fell swoop. Where are all the Bears vowing they'd never forgive or forget?
They told us our grandsons would be supporting the Scum? Their day is coming as well.

The amount of people on here who seem to think England would ever want anything to do with us is frightening.

We’re utterly irrelevant to them. The idea that somehow they’ll ever want us down there is fantasy.

Ok without being a fool, give me one reason why any club in England would want a non starter like a British League ? Would Linfield or Colraine be asked to play in it too ? After all they are British....
I don't buy into this TV dictates argument either, the EPL is a product, its manufactured purely for Television by the TV companies and sponsors, they want to keep it like that, and it will, as tough as times might be their League structure won't change, English clubs and English fans don't want Rangers or Celtic joining their set up, or any other Club fwiw, they need all the money they can get. Call me all the fools in the world but It will never happen.

As I said anyone ruling anything out at this stage is foolish. Who would have though 6 months ago the world would look like it does today.

No, but if this goes on for a long time - then the first to go will be those with wild budgets which were solely fuelled by the now-gone TV money...

OP's question is a pertinent one.

The implication was that they might come looking to us to replace bankrupt clubs down South. My response was simply to highlight that we, and others, might well not be there to invite.:eek: We are not immune to this. In fact, everything in our accounts over the last few years suggests we may be relying on some deep pockets once again. If there’s anything left in there.

Last edited:
TV will ultimately decide the future of football, so given the extraordinary circumstances almost anything could happen.

They want to keep it like that you said, i agree, BUT it has already changed and will change even more. No one knows what the landscape is gonna look like when this is over. My thinking is there will be a recession with mass unemployment and these million pound salaries for players will to some extent get knocked on the head.
Maybe the tv companies will insist on us getting in ? I know its a lot of "ifs",, but the product they have now has changed and the demand has changed also....

Shut down altogether would be my preference GG.

Despite beating them being just the best feeling ever, if we never crossed paths again We'd survive and thrive. With the size of support and the allure of the English leagues we'd be as big as any club south of the border.

The biggest problems will be among the EFL at league one and two levels down south and a lot of the smaller clubs in Scotland.

A good chance that the EFL and SPFL might see this and think that some kind of merger might be on the cards if say 30 or so clubs suffer insolvency events.

The EPL themselves probably don’t wouldn’t want to spread TV and prize money among more clubs than they have now.

if the EPL becomes insolvent due to the collapse of member teams and sponsorship/broadcast deals failing, an invite to join might come with serious financial penalties.

If the worst comes to the worst for many clubs down in England, perhaps SKY and others would look for other options ? An unlikely scenario, but we live in extraordinary times.

I don't see it. If an EPL went bust through this, they would simply be replaced by another English team when it's time to start again.

A very simplistic way to describe it of course but that's the way it is I feel.

English football wants nothing remotely to do with us and them. They wouldn't even consider us if any reconstruction was to happen.

By British, do you just mean Rangers and Celtic?

There is no appetite in England for allowing in Scottish amateur teams with low attendances, poor facilities and transport and crumbling stadium.

The idea is nice in theory but no one wants to travel to Brora Rangers on a Wednesday night from, let's say, Plymouth.

If the current Corona virus crisis did cause a number of the financially weaker EPL teams to fold, they would soon be replaced not doubt, by larger, better financed, better supported teams such as Leeds, or Forrest, even the elevation of teams such as Birmingham or Sheffield Wed. to the EPL, would actually make the league stronger.

Only in the event of a complete economic meltdown in English football in which even teams from the top ten in the EPL were at risk, would the possibility of the OF being admitted be viable prospect.

If the current Corona virus crisis did cause a number of the financially weaker EPL teams to fold, they would quickly be replaced no doubt, by larger, better financed, better supprted clubs such as Leeds, or Forrest - with perhaps the likes of Birmingham, or Sheffield Wed. also emerging as EPL candidates. Such a scenario would, if anything, make the EPL stronger still.

Only in the event of complete melt-down of England's top-tier, with even some of the .big ten' being impacted, would the OF stand a chance of gaining entry to England, being seen by Sky as a kind of financial lifeline.

In reality though, the financial rewards for English teams are just too huge, and the footprint of the OF too threatening a prospect, that we are unlikely to ever see Glasgow's 'big tw' playing south of the border.,

Totally agree. I've got a foot in both camps as I follow both Rangers and Newcastle United. The SPL has it's flaws for sure but give me that any day compared to the EPL. £50m+ transfers for average players, £250,000+ a week wages for average players, image rights, grounds becoming more of a tourist attraction than a football stadium etc etc. It's awful and I hate it. It's just not the real world.

Stick us in the bundesliga :-D

Maybe it’ll work, maybe it’s a non starter, but we’ll never know until we give it a shot. We need to be far more proactive on issues like this. Perhaps it need not wait for clubs to go under but is an idea we can float to regenerate interest in the game again. I seriously doubt the lay-off will drive people away, but if we go through a period of uncertainty, with even a marginal drop in viewing figures we need to be ready to approach the clubs in question. Perhaps even floating the idea of a British Cup should next season be compromised.

I think football across the world is on a shoogly peg until the economy is back on track. The multiple K a WEEK salaries will be severely questioned, especially since most of the players are forcing the clubs to honour these lucrative contracts, while minimum wage staff are out on furlough. People won't have the cash to pay for all the sports channels there currently are, so tv deals will be less. Going to be interesting times.

By British, do you just mean Rangers and Celtic?

There is no appetite in England for allowing in Scottish amateur teams with low attendances, poor facilities and transport and crumbling stadium.

The idea is nice in theory but no one wants to travel to Brora Rangers on a Wednesday night from, let's say, Plymouth.
millwall v albion rovers lol

Never forgive, never forget.

Back