If football was to continue this season would all players need a sort of mini pre season to ensure fitness?

The situation is entirely unprecedented, never been anything like it in professional football since the war.

You’d expect the more professional ones to stay in good shape, but that aside everyone’s in the same boat.

I don’t think they will start the next season till we complete this one.

I reckon they would. They just go out and go straight back into 1 or 2 games a week and I reckon you’d see a whole host of injuries for starters

Surely our lads are still training, no?

...not closer than six feet of each other, of course. Still, our passing could use some work

Would you be happy to go sit in your seat at Ibrox just now surrounded by 50,000 strangers, I know u wouldn't, going in to shop's or parks with others in it is terrifying, until we are clear of this pandemic it is madness to talk of a season ending or indeed next season starting.

It’s not happening but I get the scenario, probably, but I think everyone will have a bit of notice on it if it was to be restarted, enough time to get fit certainly. You will see if things start to go back to normality “they” are not just going to say, right you can start next week on a Thursday

They definitely would. Regardless of them maintaining fitness at home they'll still need actual football training and to build match fitness. Will need 3 weeks at least imo.

That's assuming the football returns anytime in the next 2-3months, which I think is extremely unlikely

Our last game was just over 2 weeks ago now, and let's be honest it's highly unlikely that our next one will be any time in the next 8 weeks.
We would need a full pre season, and that's even before you think about player contract situations etc.... Its season over and the sooner we get to that decision the better it is for everyone as we can then think about how to start up the new season once we get through this - whenever that may be....

I certainly don’t think players will be ready to just jump back into football and another reason why it would be daft to even attempt start up the season again
The lock down might last 12 weeks that would take us to the end of June. Then it would take 3 or 4 weeks pretraining no football until the end of July at the earliest if at all.

Yes is the answer to your question.
There are a whole host of other issues regarding the timing of any resumption - players contracts expiring among others.
Also worth noting that, although the Government will be reviewing the lockdown situation around Easter time, it is estimated, based on what's happening elsewhere in the World, that the current situation could last around 12 weeks. That would take us to June and, even then, it's unlikely to be everything opening up again at that time and with gatherings of 50k+ given the go ahead.
As such football is highly unlikely to resume this season and there is a real chance that the start of next season may well be delayed.
So called "experts" have been wrong before though but, in this instance, I would think they are more likely to be right than UEFA who suggest that this season can be complete by the end of June.
Suppose it depends on your understanding/definition of "complete". Complete in the sense that all games have been satisfactorily played and leagues concluded - not happening. Complete in terms of called off and declared Void - ok we can achieve that by the end of June.

We don't know enough about the effects of this virus either short or longer term so throwing players back in will require a huge amount of caution.

Would think so for sure. Our last game was in March might not play again until July at the earliest, that's a longer break than normal off season's. Players and team will need a few weeks at least.

For sure need some friendlies etc. The squad do have a strict workout and diet plan to tick them over but i’m 99% sure none of them will be following it until they know when they’re going to be back. (If they’re anything like me :)))

I certainly don’t think players will be ready to just jump back into football and another reason why it would be daft to even attempt start up the season again

More than a mini pre season mate.

This will be a far longer lay off than your normal close season.

A full, thorough pre season programme will be required.

I think there is a major doubt as to next season starting never mind trying to finish this season, as far as fitness is concerned I suppose certain exercises can be done at home and as far as running if they are following gov guidelines they are only out once for a short time a day, so unless they have a running machine available to them, it's hard to think any of them will be anywhere near the level they should be when they eventually come back.

Surely our lads are still training, no?

...not closer than six feet of each other, of course. Still, our passing could use some work
Sunderland returned to the training ground on monday morning, idea was for the players to train in groups of 3/4 in different areas of the ground. They were all sent home on Tues morning and the whole place closed down on Weds..All the players have individual programmes to work on from home, if/when we get the go ahead for football to return they will need a pre season.

Without a doubt a pre-season would be required, this lay off is going to be longer than any close season to expect players to play again without a pre-season is naive at best stupidity at worst.

Our last game was just over 2 weeks ago now, and let's be honest it's highly unlikely that our next one will be any time in the next 8 weeks.
We would need a full pre season, and that's even before you think about player contract situations etc.... Its season over and the sooner we get to that decision the better it is for everyone as we can then think about how to start up the new season once we get through this - whenever that may be....

One good thing to come out of all this is that by the time our football recommences we'll be rid of a lot of deadwood in the squad such as Ojo, Flanagan etc.

Cheers for the answers folks. To be fair I know it’s impossible for this season to continue. We just need the powers at be to make the decision to void the season.

I think even if they were keeping in shape they would need a 2-3 week period to get to match fitness, including some sort of gametime.

More than a mini pre season mate.

This will be a far longer lay off than your normal close season.

A full, thorough pre season programme will be required.

Which can only start once the threat is reduced enough to allow people in non-essential jobs (ie footballers) to return to work. That may have a 3-4 week lead in time, so if it takes until August for the worst of it to clear the season might not start until September.

They'll be hoping for June all clear to restart in July and immediately start the following season in August then cram everything in to the following season 'as normal' with the Euros tagged on the end.

You're right.

However, it could be argued that all clubs are in the same boat and it therefore doesn't matter.

The answer to the question is indisputably YES.

But do you think for a second the SPFL would give a single fcuk?

imo there's not only that problem with fitness and the possibiliies of injuries etc, but there's also the one of "pre-games" testing.

When you think of a cut-down first team squad (with subs and a couple of extras in case of injuries before the game), PLUS the management and coaching and physio side, you are talking of at least 26 people (and probably more like 30) just from one Club that will be in close proximity to each other in training and in any match.

In Scotland, there would be 12 teams at the top level involved.
That's 300 + virus tests, on footballing, etc, staff.

At a time when they could be better served being used for nurses, doctors, carers, those at risk, etc.

I'd find it obscene if we were seeing football & other staff being tested before those others.

And I suspect we'd have to see those tests repeated before every match (and maybe before training sessions!)

So ... multiple virus tests being used just so these last games can be played, when those tests could be helping those valuable members of society who REALLY need them.

Doesn't really sound right tbh.

I reckon so, they will have been told to keep fit, most will either have some sort of gym at home or be able to hire a bike/ treadmill, but will still need match sharpness and agility

Super high intensity match vs them will be our first game back. You can't go from sitting in the house and doing some fitness work in the garden to playing a top of the table clash.

There will be a couple of weeks notice I'd imagine and we'd use that to play some bounce games against reserves/unders.

The players will have their own fitness regimes that they'll be doing too. Not sure how many of our guys will have gyms in their homes? Certainly nothing like the ones the world class players have like Ramos, Ronnie etc.

Mates neighbour is a senior fitness coach with the S R U and he was telling him it would require at least a 3 to 4 week mini pre-season.

Back