If Graeme Murty guides us to a 2nd place finish?

Would you be happy for him to get the job permanently?

For me, if he finishes strongly and possibly wins the Scottish Cup then he deserves the job.

Now, I know there has been some utterly horrendous results post Caixinha but I think its fair to say we have to give him a chance with his own players and tonight was an excellent first step in the right direction.

I think we simply must beat them at Ibrox in the next game as well and he has shown that tactically, he knows how to play against them at least.

What say the denizens of FF?
I hope he gets it permanent,Ithink he's got the measure of Rodgers and seems to have the respect of the players. I think him and Jimmy will get us there. I think he deserves a crack at it.

I detected a change in style tonight and it may be that Murty’s beliefs are starting to come through especially with his new additions.

One game at a time get a winning mentality built in this squad and we will have good chance at the Scottish cup which should be a target. If we win a string of games and put pressure on the beasts be interesting to see how they handle it. Already proved they aren’t as strong as last season.

I’ve a feeling in my guts that we are going to win the SC. Thank me in May :D

If we had just won 2 more games.. Hamilton and Dundee specifically stick out along with Killie, then we would be right in the middle of a title race. However 11 points is a massive bridge to gap so I think the SC should be a real target. Puts down a marker like Big Eck done when he first came in

I think he should be judged at the end of the season.

The results and stats don’t lie.

I am now optimistic though and feel GM could gel the team to do very well.

I’m not making predictions or banging the big drum for GM to get the position permanently. It’s up to him to get the team to perform and for him to get the tactics correct.

Come on The Rangers. WATP

He's got us to second place, let's motor on for first.

Until it's unachievable let's look to go for it.

Every now and again a manager will come out of nowhere with little experience at a big club and things just seem to click for them hopefully we've somehow manage to stumble into this situation it's still very early days though.

Given the points difference right now with the bheasts, it would be a tall order for any manager to win the league from where we are right now. If we finish a comfortable second, well ahead of Aberdeen, and close the gap on the tramps, then the job is his.

We did lose stupid games before, but that was with Pedro's squad. He has signed a few of his own, if we play well from now until the end of the season and look good enough to challenge for the title next season, why would we bump Murty to bring in a "real manager" and go back to square 1?

We'll see how Sunday goes. Sunday is almost a bigger game than last night because we have been so utterly woeful against the bottom six. As bizarre as it sounds I'm more confident against the top six than the bottom and it seems to have been this way for years. We just can't break them down when they sit in. If he can over come that and make it a regular three points as it used to be I'd say he deserves the job. If he increases the (miniscule) lead over the sheep and maybe closes the gap (or doesn't make it worse) I think he's a shoe in for it, and so he should be. He's growing into the job and we're starting to play some attractive football. What's not to like?

If he significantly closes the gap on Celtic, beats them this season and if performances are good then the job is his.

Too soon for any confidence in him long term, the terrible games at Ibrox against Kilmarnock,, Hamilton, ST Johnstone and away to Kilmarnock and Dundee are still fresh in my memory, it is there for the taking though should he keep winning and we get the cup

I think bringing in jimmy nichol was a very clever move
Great man to have at your side

I also have a wee feeling Micheal O Neil could be our next manager
I am not in the know
Just a wee feeling.

Hope not- he looks some state when you see him getting interviewed on TV

Assuming we do finish second now, for me it depends on the fashion in which we finish in that spot.

We could have been in a great position barring that nightmare spell in November we had.

I like Murty and think he comes across brilliantly and I think his biggest strength is that he is a good coach and can improve players.

A comfortable 2nd for me and depending on how Scottish Cup goes taking it as a separate entity, I would be willing to give him a crack at it

I reckon if 2nd is clinched and the gap is cut, with the Scottish cup in the bag the guy deserves another season or 2.

Finishing 2nd alone isn’t good enough for him to get the job. He would have to close the gap and avoid defeat to celtic minimum if we are to even consider it.

Beat celtic or win the SC and he should get the job no question.

I didn’t want him permanently but If the gap remains the same or hopefully we close it I think he’ll get the job and I wouldn’t be disappointed. It might be a minor miracle but if he was to win the league he’d be an instant legend. Signs of trouble at the knewcamp, I’d love to see the wheels come off in spectacular fashion.

Not for me. Murty has done ok so far but we need to be more ambitious than giving the gig to a man who simply finished 2nd in a poor league. I like Murty but is he the man to get us a decent run in Europe that the board mentioned at the AGM was crucial to the clubs success? Can we afford another European disaster?

But this is a board that felt it was feasible to offer the sheep best part of £1million for McInnes so it shouldn’t be a surprise if Murty gets a longer contract. A couple of wins against the Scum and/or a SC win will guarantee it. I would love to see the club push the boat out and see if they can get someone like Marco Silva. Ambitious yes but can only be possible if we start asking questions. Hopefully the DOF is arranging something behind the scenes.

I would expect him to finish 2nd at the very least, he has FAR better tools at his exposal than the previous 2 managers and he also has good support round about him in Nicholl, JJ, Walter and Allen.

If Murty guides us to second and builds a squad for the future absolutely

His man management and capability to inject positivity in a squad is incredible. Give him a full season and let him build on what he is creating

On a side note I have 2 £100 bets that Rangers would finish higher than Aberdeen....that changed when they were ahead to doubling up (2 x £200 bets with 2 mates) . They are now trying to cash out early

Mon the Murts!

Assuming we do finish second now, for me it depends on the fashion in which we finish in that spot.

I agree. For me, finishing any lower than second is now unthinkable. Some good form between now and the end of the season - winning the games we should be winning and continuing to do well in the 'tough' matches - and the job is his. Scottish Cup would be a huge bonus but we have two 'awkward' away ties to overcome before we even get to thinking about that.

I've long said Murty showed signs of having it in him to be a good Manager but that it was too early for him in the Rangers job. I may well have called that wrongly. We will know in the next 4-6 weeks.

I think we have to draw a line under the first half of the season and see how we match up to the scum over the second. If we are within a few points of them, or even ahead, I think it gives us confidence of running them close next season under Murty. If we drift out at all, regardless of where 3rd come behind us (in terms of points) I think he will be gone.

Do you think Murty is getting help from Walter and other Rangers men with managerial experience? Given what's at stake it wouldn't surprise me.

It’s Murty’s job to lose surely?
You would think so at this stage, which is disappointing. I like Murty the man but we need a more experienced man.

You look at di Matteo and Benitez at Chelsea. Caretakers who achieved a lot but were not kept on. I think we need to go for someone experienced. Right now, I don’t know who.

It all depends how close we run them. The gap gets bigger then no. If he can get us close to them, and deliver the cup, then yes.

For what it's worth I think we'll catch them this season. Will be a tight finish.

Not for me. Murty has done ok so far but we need to be more ambitious than giving the gig to a man who simply finished 2nd in a poor league. I like Murty but is he the man to get us a decent run in Europe that the board mentioned at the AGM was crucial to the clubs success? Can we afford another European disaster?

But this is a board that felt it was feasible to offer the sheep best part of £1million for McInnes so it shouldn’t be a surprise if Murty gets a longer contract. A couple of wins against the Scum and/or a SC win will guarantee it. I would love to see the club push the boat out and see if they can get someone like Marco Silva. Ambitious yes but can only be possible if we start asking questions. Hopefully the DOF is arranging something behind the scenes.
Unlikely.

If Murty guides us to second and builds a squad for the future absolutely

His man management and capability to inject positivity in a squad is incredible. Give him a full season and let him build on what he is creating

On a side note I have 2 £100 bets that Rangers would finish higher than Aberdeen....that changed when they were ahead to doubling up (2 x £200 bets with 2 mates) . They are now trying to cash out early

Mon the Murts!
Hope you win.

I might be in the minority here but i reallt like Murty and it's evident he's soinf qhat many experienced managers fail to do, learm amd adapt. He's growing

Games like today will be the real test. He's taken 13 points out of 15 in games against the sheep, the skanks and Hivs, but we're neck and neck with the sheep because we couldn't take any points from Dundee, Hamilton, Killie or St Johnstone. If he can overcome the 'Liverpool Syndrome' and win the bread and butter games, while continuing the excellent results and performances in the big games, then yes, he's at least as good a candidate as any we've been linked with.

We've all seen it before, too many times under Murty it seems...great results followed by dire against the dross of what the SPL can offer.

I'm confident we can kick on this time...and that the kick in the baws which usually follows won't happen anymore.

Bring it on.

I think we will see a more confident Murty now that the job is his till the summer with the knowledge that it could be permanent should he impress. The addition of the new signings in this window show he knows what type of player was required to move us forward.

I know it is only two competitive games and a jaunt to the Florida sunshine but I am impressed how Murty has come across the past month, there seems to be a confindence and assurance in his media conferences.

If FF is a guage of how our support feel it is fair to say the good feel factor has returned big time and the feeling that this time it is not a false dawn, a few decent signings in the summer and there is a strong possibility that 55 might not be to far away ( I'm a glass half empty pessimist so to type that last paragraph shows how genuinely excited I am).

Murty has put his stamp on this team now with some of these signings. Players like Martin are guys he wanted to bring in so now is the time for him to grab and job and give the board no other choice but to give him he job on a permanent basis. We're still going to lose a couple games this season most likely so hopefully none of our support are expecting us to from undefeated from here

I'm not expecting us to push Celtic for the title this season and i don't even think he has to win the cup as long as the team we lose to do it by simply being better in a one off match and not our squad being gutless when the going gets tough (Albeit the semi final should be the bare minimum we get to). Solidify the club as the 2nd best club in this country for the rest of this season (Short of Aberdeen winning every single match they have left, but that's not happening) and i feel like he should be given the job

still very unconvinced with Murty. Pleased with the signings, but often find team shapes and substitutions baffling.
Krancjar starting (and then lasting for so long) at the piggery was a huge worry, as was shoehorning Miller in before his injury.

Results will obviously speak more than individual decisions, but I suspect we'll continue to see the same inconsistency that has blighted us throughout the season.
If he can't make some in-roads on that, he shouldn't be anywhere near the job at the end of the season, even if we got 2nd place. (think posts about winning are unrealistic - we should definitely keep pressure on, but the dims simply aren't going to drop as many points as would be required for us to catch them, imho)

No. He should be thanked profusely and then moved back to his actual role

If Graeme Murty is the best this board can up with as permanent Rangers manager then we've got problems

The reality is they will strengthen in the summer. I get the feeling all is not well at torbet towers and maybe Brenda will go at the end of the season. But We can’t have any room for sentiment I think we will need a new manager to win the league and perhaps set them back a bit

Close the gap on them, beat them at least once, win the Cup.

Do all those and it would be hard to give the job to anyone else.

Get the points gap down to something respectable, bring home the only piece of silver realistically available this season, and a minimum of 2 points in the the remaining old firm games, and you'd be silly to want rid of him. Success or failure will depend largely on how his new signings/loanees bed in. But we'll need to get a bit more consistency against bottom 6 clubs, starting today - these have to stop being such nervy games.

He’s been given the opportunity and he’s putting his stamp on it. I never wanted him but I’ve really warmed to him. Murty’s Rangers are playing as a team.

A quick google shows those horrible bastards have Hearts then Killie. I think they will slip up in both. Over to you GM. That tranny shaggy 19th Century Terrorist bastard can’t handle pressure and if we can continue as we are 55 is achievable. And i will party until %^*& know when

The reality is.... we have better players than Aberdeen, quite comfortably at that aswell!

My granny could guide this rangers squad to 2nd place.

I don’t agree. The rest of the league don’t play like there life’s depended on it v Aberdeen

We are in an unfair fight

I do however expect us to get second and cut the scums lead in half

If we win the sc we go into next season with momentum

Back