If next Season Starts in October

Blue Dunk

hope things start to get better soon, seems to just be worse news everyday, apart from in China the virus seems to growing worse everyday everywhere

L&D RSC

This to me is a very simple thing indeed.

NO football will be played until the social distancing restrictions are lifted. That includes behind closed door games.

Social distancing will not be lifted until the death toll is almost back down at very low levels, and other countries like Italy and Spain are showing us that that is not going to happen for a long time sadly.

So football authorities and us fans can come up with ideas as much as we like, but the government and more importantly, the virus will decide when football will be played next.

I personally think football in 2020 is finished. :(

Tim Hunter

Official Ticketer
The Europa League is not finished either.

You'll need to explain the difference, European money is based on points gained and League money is based on where you finish...but where you finish is based on points gained also.

There's no difference.

We would be stung in both scenarios of evenly distributing money among all competitors.
There most certainly is a big difference in European matches, teams gain coefficient points and set prize money as they pass successive way points in the competition. The points and prize money are known, and locked in at the start of the competition.
Everyone still in European competition is on a equal basis(except for1st leg results:()

Saltcoatsblu

I think most sensible people would void this season just now and concentrate on trying to save next season. It would give us 34 Weekends up to second last week in May if started on the first Saturday in October
This scenario would see us scrap the League Cup for this season and any SC replays.
If we ignore the winter break. we could have an entire League campaign with Scottish Cup and European games
This would allow all games to be played and the season to finish in time for the Euros.
I think this would be realistic and allow all Clubs to start making plans for next season.
You haven't mentioned Internationals, can't see all the FA's liking that, most outside the top 6 nations need the cash

HCMC_Loyal

Not sure about scrapping the League Cup...I was looking forward to a treble next season. Oh well, will just have to settle for a league and cup double.

alba73

I think the way they were talking yesterday we’ll be in lockdown until September, even then they’ll be in no rush to open up football stadiums. I really can’t see any football this year. If there is any then I can’t see there being any non domestic games unless no away fans allowed as surely it will take longer before countries are comfortable allowing tourists in. (I’m gutted for my daughter, she was due to volunteer in Fiji for a month in July, then late august go to USA to study for 4 months. Doubt that will happen, but her safety is my main concern) so European football may need a seasons break

as for domestic prize money being spread equally.
It will help smaller clubs in these strange times. Maybe one way would be to give a higher % to top league, then second league etc then split equally within the leagues. Hopefully given lower league more than usual but a lesser impact on top league

Jase

Until we get a vaccine we could find ourselves repeating the social distancing next year. I can’t see how you can plan for a normal resumption of football with any confidence.

European games will be particularly problematic with border restrictions.

You’ve then got the economy to think of. I don’t know how long the government can continue to batter huge resources into the NHS and continue to pay everybody’s wages. They only get their dosh from two sources - massive borrowing and taxes.

Some folks are gonna struggle big time before the dust settles on this. Football will be a low priority on the affordability scale.

DamBuster72

It's really quite simple, when you play each round in europe you know how much money you get for each draw / win / qualifying for next round. If your Club gets knocked out at the group stage, although the tournament has not reached a conclusion, the money is assigned to that stage.
The league is different, the money is shared where your final place is at the end of the campaign, this campaign will not be finished, so no Champions and no relegation.
There is no rule in place to cover this scenario.
Fair enough, I think your idea of splitting the cash equally is nice but I can't see the board going for it and saying goodbye to a 7-figure sum that would've been coming our way.

Although I don't see how they can pay out money based on places if they're voiding the league. It has to be one or the other. And who's to say that Sky/BT will pay their full amount for a voided league when they only got 2 OFs to televise?

The whole situation is a can of worms. I can't think of a single scenario that doesn't end with legal action somewhere.

alba73

Gary Lineker on talkSPORT still saying maybe finish league if it starts back in June short break new season starts.

Bring people need to stop beating in June July etc. They it basically hinted last night that we are looking at 3 months be at least in lockdown

Robert Marshall

Fair enough, I think your idea of splitting the cash equally is nice but I can't see the board going for it and saying goodbye to a 7-figure sum that would've been coming our way.

Although I don't see how they can pay out money based on places if they're voiding the league. It has to be one or the other. And who's to say that Sky/BT will pay their full amount for a voided league when they only got 2 OFs to televise?

The whole situation is a can of worms. I can't think of a single scenario that doesn't end with legal action somewhere.
Tell the Clubs if hey vote for a void league and allow us to do our own TV deals we will split the money this season. Watch Doncaster have a seizure

Last edited:

HongKongTam

hope things start to get better soon, seems to just be worse news everyday, apart from in China the virus seems to growing worse everyday everywhere
Not here in South Korea. Theyve absolutely smashed it. Had mild symptoms and an ambulance was sent out to take me to be tested. Results the same day

Ubik

if we get asked to complete this season whenever it may be, id send out our youth team

HamiltonJungleBear

Tell the Clubs if hey vote for a void league and allow us to do our own TV deals we will split the money this season. Watch Doncaster have a seizure
Can you imagine the double talk that would occur, particularly from the sell-out Saturday clubs and their supporters? “No we don’t need Rangers. What you want a fair share of the revenues. That’s no fair.”

DamBuster72

Impossible when we have consented to SPFL rules and the SPFL have signed a 5 year deal with Sky.

After the disaster that was Setanta there will be no risks taken with TV deals for a long while. Clubs want stability and continuity.

Promises of the land of milk and honey led to several administrations across Scottish Football.

Robert Marshall

Impossible when we have consented to SPFL rules and the SPFL have signed a 5 year deal with Sky.

After the disaster that was Setanta there will be no risks taken with TV deals for a long while. Clubs want stability and continuity.

Promises of the land of milk and honey led to several administrations across Scottish Football.
I think if the TV deals collapse, we would make more money selling our home games while giving the away team a slice

Monty Brewster

If we can't get going until October that seems sensible, as getting a complete season is imperative. Although it is likely the SFA will try and squeeze in the Scottish Cup semis and final from this season.

DamBuster72

I think if the TV deals collapse, we would make more money selling our home games while giving the away team a slice
I think you're right tbh but after the Setanta shambles clubs will err on the side of caution and go with the tried and trusted, which is Sky and BT at the moment.

We would certainly do better selling it in-house.

dmaude1872

I would think there would be a few adjustments at both Domestic and European Levels when we finally start next season

Would agree to bin League Cup for a season and Scottish Cup replays for good as I don't see us only playing 22 League games unless there is an agreement
Put an U21 age limit on the League Cup next season.

It still runs, we still sell out Ibrox, players get exposure.