If next Season Starts in October

They reckon social distancing could last another 12-18 months if this is the case then i can't see us playing in front of a packed Ibrox for the foreseeable future.

The players can hardly play if they need to stay 2 metres apart.

There would be no games, closed door or otherwise, if social distancing was still in place.

As the days and weeks pass with more and more bad news it really is anyone's guess what the league (and teams in it) will look like, and when it will start

I would actually divide it equally amongst the 42 Clubs and let them have a vote on it

Would you be in favour of UEFA also taking part of Europa League progression bonuses from us and dividing it equally between teams that exited in earlier rounds?

Same argument really.

Splitting it equally might be a nice suggestion but would open a massive can of worms with clubs taking legal action, including possibly our own that would get done out of a 7 figure sum.

I think next season might be extended

Impossible to extend with the Euros next Summer. If the season starts late, which seems inevitable at the moment another suggestion would be just to play every other team in the League, home and away. Which currently would make the campaign over 22 matches or 26 if the Premier League was say extended to 14 teams. Not my preferred option though, as I would prefer Scumdee United to remain in the Championship

Reactions: cav
I think most sensible people would void this season just now and concentrate on trying to save next season. It would give us 34 Weekends up to second last week in May if started on the first Saturday in October
This scenario would see us scrap the League Cup for this season and any SC replays.
If we ignore the winter break. we could have an entire League campaign with Scottish Cup and European games
This would allow all games to be played and the season to finish in time for the Euros.
I think this would be realistic and allow all Clubs to start making plans for next season.
Only thing is the league Cup I would do it with b sides like Challenge Cup in free mid weeks

Impossible to extend with the Euros next Summer. If the season starts late, which seems inevitable at the moment another suggestion would be just to play every other team in the League, home and away. Which currently would make the campaign over 22 matches or 26 if the Premier League was say extended to 14 teams. Not my preferred option though, as I would prefer Scumdee United to remain in the Championship
I can see a 14 team league with 26 games happening tbh, the forecast doesn’t look good reading a lot of what scientists have had to say thus far.

And that’s without cup games or a winter break either btw.

Be lucky if there is football at all this side of Christmas in my opinion the way they are talking

Unless they lift this social distancing rule which i can't see anytime soon it is impossible to play football and im not just talking watching it but playing it as well as its contact sport

So could take to October before some normality takes place and that's probably at best. There is no way they are going to let large crowds congregate at sporting functions for quite a considerable period beyond that so I have no idea as to when we will ever get back to where we were if ever at all and with that news today there is no way many clubs are even surviving., unless they are down to about 20% of there wages never mind 50%.

Would you be in favour of UEFA also taking part of Europa League progression bonuses from us and dividing it equally between teams that exited in earlier rounds?

Same argument really.

Splitting it equally might be a nice suggestion but would open a massive can of worms with clubs taking legal action, including possibly our own that would get done out of a 7 figure sum.
Nothing like the same argument, European money is based on points gained, The league money is based on where you finish in the Table. the league is not finished

Nothing like the same argument, European money is based on points gained, The league money is based on where you finish in the Table. the league is not finished

The Europa League is not finished either.

You'll need to explain the difference, European money is based on points gained and League money is based on where you finish...but where you finish is based on points gained also.

There's no difference.

We would be stung in both scenarios of evenly distributing money among all competitors.

I think we’ll be able to start the league easy mid August. Particularly in Scotland.
With the greatest respect, I think your opinion is based on pure optimism rather than the facts of the matter.
Normal life will not resume for 6 months. That's what Harries said today. Professional football will resume some time later.

You'll need to explain the difference, European money is based on points gained and League money is based on where you finish...but where you finish is based on points gained also.

There's no difference.

We would be stung in both scenarios of evenly distributing money among all competitors.
It's really quite simple, when you play each round in europe you know how much money you get for each draw / win / qualifying for next round. If your Club gets knocked out at the group stage, although the tournament has not reached a conclusion, the money is assigned to that stage.
The league is different, the money is shared where your final place is at the end of the campaign, this campaign will not be finished, so no Champions and no relegation.
There is no rule in place to cover this scenario.

I know this affects your livelihood Robert but I honestly could not give a phuck about this season or next at the moment. We have a chancellor out of his depth making promises he cannot fulfill. We have a country going straight down the pan.

Next season's fixture are low on my list of problems at the moment.

Without reading all thread possibly play each team home and away then make the split with a further 5 matches home and away giving 32 games for one season. Could be a solution if time is tight and taking inevitable weather cancellations into account.

I know this affects your livelihood Robert but I honestly could not give a phuck about this season or next at the moment. We have a chancellor out of his depth making promises he cannot fulfill. We have a country going straight down the pan.

Don't want to appear facetious here but maybe give the bear pit a miss for a while? Otherwise you could just copy this post and paste it into most threads.

If the football returns in October, I can see them scheduling two games per week (Weds & Sun) until the backlog of games is cleared. That way they can finish the old season, start the new season and finish the Scottish Cup.

Nothing needs to be voided, no-one gets a title they haven't won unless by beating the rest until arithmetically impossible, and the clubs will still generate the lost revenue and gate receipts - which is what everyone has been concerned about.

I have stayed away from my personal problems with the pub and have repeatedly said that safety is more important than getting the season started,
The government of the UK has been outstanding the way they have handled the crisis in the economy, You say the guy is out his depth, can you tell me how you would have reacted?

G. Particularly in Scotland.
[/QUOTE]
I think if you read between the lines - we are being softened up for 6 months of lockdown with possible relaxation of the rules within that period.

That relaxation will be letting us go to parks and the beach But I seriously doubt we will have the flex on the NHS and other services that include us filling 100s of stadiums for sports regardless off the importance to it for us as a nation.

August Is a dream but I would be happily shocked if it’s not October.

This to me is a very simple thing indeed.

NO football will be played until the social distancing restrictions are lifted. That includes behind closed door games.

Social distancing will not be lifted until the death toll is almost back down at very low levels, and other countries like Italy and Spain are showing us that that is not going to happen for a long time sadly.

So football authorities and us fans can come up with ideas as much as we like, but the government and more importantly, the virus will decide when football will be played next.

I personally think football in 2020 is finished. :(

There's no difference.

There most certainly is a big difference in European matches, teams gain coefficient points and set prize money as they pass successive way points in the competition. The points and prize money are known, and locked in at the start of the competition.
Everyone still in European competition is on a equal basis(except for1st leg results:()

I think most sensible people would void this season just now and concentrate on trying to save next season. It would give us 34 Weekends up to second last week in May if started on the first Saturday in October
This scenario would see us scrap the League Cup for this season and any SC replays.
If we ignore the winter break. we could have an entire League campaign with Scottish Cup and European games
This would allow all games to be played and the season to finish in time for the Euros.
I think this would be realistic and allow all Clubs to start making plans for next season.
You haven't mentioned Internationals, can't see all the FA's liking that, most outside the top 6 nations need the cash

I think the way they were talking yesterday we’ll be in lockdown until September, even then they’ll be in no rush to open up football stadiums. I really can’t see any football this year. If there is any then I can’t see there being any non domestic games unless no away fans allowed as surely it will take longer before countries are comfortable allowing tourists in. (I’m gutted for my daughter, she was due to volunteer in Fiji for a month in July, then late august go to USA to study for 4 months. Doubt that will happen, but her safety is my main concern) so European football may need a seasons break

as for domestic prize money being spread equally.
It will help smaller clubs in these strange times. Maybe one way would be to give a higher % to top league, then second league etc then split equally within the leagues. Hopefully given lower league more than usual but a lesser impact on top league

Until we get a vaccine we could find ourselves repeating the social distancing next year. I can’t see how you can plan for a normal resumption of football with any confidence.

European games will be particularly problematic with border restrictions.

You’ve then got the economy to think of. I don’t know how long the government can continue to batter huge resources into the NHS and continue to pay everybody’s wages. They only get their dosh from two sources - massive borrowing and taxes.

Some folks are gonna struggle big time before the dust settles on this. Football will be a low priority on the affordability scale.

It's really quite simple, when you play each round in europe you know how much money you get for each draw / win / qualifying for next round. If your Club gets knocked out at the group stage, although the tournament has not reached a conclusion, the money is assigned to that stage.
The league is different, the money is shared where your final place is at the end of the campaign, this campaign will not be finished, so no Champions and no relegation.
There is no rule in place to cover this scenario.

Fair enough, I think your idea of splitting the cash equally is nice but I can't see the board going for it and saying goodbye to a 7-figure sum that would've been coming our way.

Although I don't see how they can pay out money based on places if they're voiding the league. It has to be one or the other. And who's to say that Sky/BT will pay their full amount for a voided league when they only got 2 OFs to televise?

The whole situation is a can of worms. I can't think of a single scenario that doesn't end with legal action somewhere.

Gary Lineker on talkSPORT still saying maybe finish league if it starts back in June short break new season starts.

Bring people need to stop beating in June July etc. They it basically hinted last night that we are looking at 3 months be at least in lockdown

Fair enough, I think your idea of splitting the cash equally is nice but I can't see the board going for it and saying goodbye to a 7-figure sum that would've been coming our way.

Although I don't see how they can pay out money based on places if they're voiding the league. It has to be one or the other. And who's to say that Sky/BT will pay their full amount for a voided league when they only got 2 OFs to televise?

The whole situation is a can of worms. I can't think of a single scenario that doesn't end with legal action somewhere.
Tell the Clubs if hey vote for a void league and allow us to do our own TV deals we will split the money this season. Watch Doncaster have a seizure

Last edited:
hope things start to get better soon, seems to just be worse news everyday, apart from in China the virus seems to growing worse everyday everywhere
Not here in South Korea. Theyve absolutely smashed it. Had mild symptoms and an ambulance was sent out to take me to be tested. Results the same day

if we get asked to complete this season whenever it may be, id send out our youth team

Tell the Clubs if hey vote for a void league and allow us to do our own TV deals we will split the money this season. Watch Doncaster have a seizure
Can you imagine the double talk that would occur, particularly from the sell-out Saturday clubs and their supporters? “No we don’t need Rangers. What you want a fair share of the revenues. That’s no fair.”

Impossible when we have consented to SPFL rules and the SPFL have signed a 5 year deal with Sky.

After the disaster that was Setanta there will be no risks taken with TV deals for a long while. Clubs want stability and continuity.

Promises of the land of milk and honey led to several administrations across Scottish Football.

Impossible when we have consented to SPFL rules and the SPFL have signed a 5 year deal with Sky.

After the disaster that was Setanta there will be no risks taken with TV deals for a long while. Clubs want stability and continuity.

Promises of the land of milk and honey led to several administrations across Scottish Football.
I think if the TV deals collapse, we would make more money selling our home games while giving the away team a slice

If we can't get going until October that seems sensible, as getting a complete season is imperative. Although it is likely the SFA will try and squeeze in the Scottish Cup semis and final from this season.

I think if the TV deals collapse, we would make more money selling our home games while giving the away team a slice

I think you're right tbh but after the Setanta shambles clubs will err on the side of caution and go with the tried and trusted, which is Sky and BT at the moment.

We would certainly do better selling it in-house.

Back