If our interest in Wilshere is genuine

Always liked him and he certainly comes under the Glasgow word “ Gallus “.

Is he worth the risk right now??

I would say no for two reasons, 1, He’s never fully fit. 2, He could unintentionally disrupt the dressing room.

We don’t need to add to the squad IMO to win the league, we just need to be consistent.

Injury free, he’s a fantastic player.

Only if he's a good egg (which I have no idea) , we don't need any disruption.

I agree. But I don’t see Gerrard as someone putting up with any shite. And they already know each other. My only concern is that it has to be a deal that suits the club and is contingent on fitness.

I'd take him for the shits and giggles.
Tbh we don't need him. I know on his day he's a class player.
But a wee bit of me worrries he might upset the equilibrium of the midfield.
Jesus its good, but I can't actually believe I'm saying that about JW.
How times have changed.

Seems a grounded sort and not a billy big baws so I don't think there would be any problems from a dressing room point of view. Lots of English lads he would fit in no problem.

We don't need him though so it would be an expensive risk on a severely injury prone player.

Wouldn't have got in our midfield 3 yesterday, Thursday, next Sunday he just wouldn't play either through injury or selection

It's went awful quiet. I thought he'd have signed for someone by now. You'd think he'd want to get in amongst it asap.

Either has a lot of options to choose from or very little genuine interest. I'd personally take a punt but understand people's reservations.

I don't think he's needed, Aribo back and Zungu still to come in our midfield is prepped up Aribo/Arfield/Hagi. Should see us through till January.

I’m not sure I can see it happening I would love to happen but only if it was on a pay as u play and we get him fit but I doubt it plus after doing that lot yesterday do we need to be spending that kind of money ?

For those saying "we don't need him".

- We have won nothing yet.

- Complacency is not in SG's mindset, thankfully.

- We are far from the finished article.

- You can never have too many good players

- This team - as we know - still has a Livi or a Hivs performance in it. And recently Ross County was hardly convincing.

- Davis and Arfield are not getting any younger.

Whether it's Jack Wilshere or not we must always be looking to strengthen.

Never rest on your laurels. Always strive to be better.

For those saying "we don't need him".

- We have won nothing yet.

- Complacency is not in SG's mindset, thankfully.

- We are far from the finished article.

- You can never have too many good players

- This team - as we know - still has a Livi or a Hivs performance in it. And recently Ross County was hardly convincing.

- Davis and Arfield are not getting any younger.

Whether it's Jack Wilshere or not we must always be looking to strengthen.

Never rest on your laurels. Always strive to be better.
Also value for money is required, as good a player as JW is the inevitable breakdown through injury will happen, he wont go anywhere for buttons knowing nothing else in his career but the cash rich EPL, even if it is just wages it would still be in the 2m a year region at least and in these trying strange times that is a gamble not worth persuing i would give him a swerve.

We don't need him to beat Celtic but a very incisive attacker to unlock packed SPFL defenses?

We could still be short in that area.

If the price and deal could be structured correctly we would bite your hand off for a deal.

Unfortunately any deal is likely to remain miles off as sure he ll have good options. If he really really wants it, it is possible tho.

Last edited:
A fit Jack Wilshere would instantly be the best midfielder at the club.
Perhaps but an unfit Wilshere would be the worst and his fitness record is appalling. To have a nickname of Wheelchair is extremely telling.

I don’t think he would stay fit for long in Scotland with the physicality, plastic pitches and social scene in Glasgow (normally).

Hard graft from now on in, we need everyone to buy into what's needed , would he accept being used sparingly ?

I think most would agree Wilshere is a great player and it would be great to have his quality onboard.

The problem for him (28yo) and us is that he now likely needs to be a 1st pick somewhere but we are a top-of-the-league well bonded unit. He'd also be an expensive risk, just as our financials are looking healthy.

As others have said, if it was going to happen it would have by now (and likely Zungu wouldn't be a Rangers player).

We play 3 Central midfielders per game.

We have;

Davis
Jack
Kamara
Arfield
Aribo
Zungu

All be it, a fully fit Wilshere would be first name on our team sheet. However, he is not a fully fit Wilshere, hence him even being linked with a move to us. Where does an experimental Wilshere fit within that list of midfielders for game time?

Do these contracts exist in reality?
In theory I don’t see why not. In practice there maybe issues about minimum wage but I imagine if you’re on £25k (or whatever amount you prefer) appearance money, then minimum wage wouldn’t apply. The whole point of such a contract is to secure a quality player with injury issues. Therefore if he is fit is more likely than not to feature in most games. Say he is on £25k per appearance and £10k per goal or MotM. If he scores 3 and gets 2 MotM in 10 appearances he is on £300k. A fit JW would start for us. He’d also be on way more than £25k per appearance. I doubt less than £70k pw.
I suspect it would be a “low” guaranteed wage and silly bonuses for playing. I also suspect there will be a minimum number of appearances (if fit) in there. No doubt a decent signing bonus too.

It's not going to happen, pay as you play or otherwise.

We've done phenomenal business this season, to expect the club to undertake that kind of outlay on top of it is a bit much.

Take it from source he is only interested in a "club" or "clubs" who will pay over 50k a week, this will be the biggest stumbling block to a deal with us.

Wouldn’t get in my starting 11 and wouldn’t even be my first choice off the bench. Can see him going to a soft league like France or Italy.

Any club in for him knows that he has just had £4m handed to him by West Ham. I think that will mean, in the short term at least, clubs aren't going to be paying him megabucks. And as i have said before, wages will not actually be JW's top priority.

We have enough depth and quality in the squad now, especially in that position.

It would be an unnecessary gamble which could upset the squad. We are clearly not interested anyway

Any club in for him knows that he has just had £4m handed to him by West Ham. I think that will mean, in the short term at least, clubs aren't going to be paying him megabucks. And as i have said before, wages will not actually be JW's top priority.

It will be his agent’s top priority to get as much as possible.

We play 3 Central midfielders per game.

We have;

Davis
Jack
Kamara
Arfield
Aribo
Zungu

All be it, a fully fit Wilshere would be first name on our team sheet. However, he is not a fully fit Wilshere, hence him even being linked with a move to us. Where does an experimental Wilshere fit within that list of midfielders for game time?

Spot on, we would not be getting a fully fit Wilshere, we'd be getting "let's all keep our fingers crossed that he kerps fit" Wilshere.

As David Edgar said last week a fully fit Wilshere would never contemplate coming to Scotland.

We have good midfield options and with Zungu still to come in we look well covered in that area.

We have enough depth and quality in the squad now, especially in that position.

It would be an unnecessary gamble which could upset the squad. We are clearly not interested anyway
That same midfield has capitulated post-Christmas for the last two seasons.

Yes, we've just beaten the mentally challengeds, but we are far from the finished article and we have not won anything yet.

Complacency is never good.......

I suspect we'll not see Wilshere signing for us but I would have expected him to have signed for somebody by now. I know he says that he has been fit for 8 months but surely the longer he is without a club the more difficult his situation becomes? I'd imagine a player with Wilshere's injury record would not be helped by an extended period away from full training.

They do of sorts but also involve a basic salary. The idea someone of that age would sign up to only be paid on appearances is fantasy stuff.
Nearest I remember was Frank De Boer taking i think it was £6k a week, never heard of any pay as you play deals.

Back