If the club asked you to come off social media for 1 week, to support their stance.Would you do it?

If the club asked you to come off social media for 1 week, to support their stance. Would you do it?

• Yes

Votes: 671 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 79 9.5%
  • Not for a week

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • What's social media?

Votes: 77 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In principle yes... but practicalities like some of the clubs my kids do only doing their comms on Facebook mean I couldn’t be true to it.

The lack of social media is an interesting exercise this week.. a few clubs doing it but it seems to be individuals, not the clubs themselves and to be honest, I’m not sure that there’s really a great point to it all.

I get the idea - footballers don’t use platforms that refuse to take action over racial abuse of footballers.
What makes it more powerful is if you get internationalists and their FAs to do this during an international week, or during a European Championships or World Cup.

Or.... and God forbid in Scotland, the players only talk to traditional media for a week or two - and take the content away from online.
You need to do something that makes the point - take your visibility & profile somewhere else makes a point.

I don’t think footballers not using Facebook or Twitter for a week or so makes a blind bit of difference.

Probably not. Not because I can’t go a week without social media but because it’d be pretty pointless
I get how it might feel pointless on first thought, but these social media giants rely on advertisement revenues and agitator parties that basically we are the unit of value: the social media user, you and I.

There was a time back in the mid-2000s that in the academic and industry world of new tech that we should actually be paid for using social media since we are the product. Look how that turned out.

a few thousand rangers fans going without social media for a week runs up to a lot of cash to these guys. It would certainly make them react.

Is it only in respect of posting new stuff on social media? Stopping 'liking' posts or creating posts would be easy enough for a week surely

Don't have any except for Facebook, even then I only really use that for messenger and contacting some family members etc so wouldn't bother me at all.

A week isn’t long enough. If enough people boycotted indefinitely they soon pay attention.

To be frank, if you can’t live without social media you need help.
At the theatre last night, the amount of people who were checking their phones every 15 minutes or so was cringeworthy. It's clearly an addiction. I actually felt sorry for them that they can't just sit and enjoy the show.

I voted yes but would have to change it to no if FF was generally considered social media. I suppose it is - but also not really.
FF dont count, in here you say the wrong thing you're out and also the offending post is gone. twatter and facebook need to start looking at their rules and start using the FF ban hammer..

real names and addresses should be kept on a data base so that when you do think you are being fly hiding behind a user name there is always someone that can point the police at your door.

What it says.
Would you do it?

Could you do it??
Not FF no, but everything else. Would drive me mad not coming on here for a week. this feels like the only social life I have these days given the covid situation. My saviour

I get how it might feel pointless on first thought, but these social media giants rely on advertisement revenues and agitator parties that basically we are the unit of value: the social media user, you and I.

There was a time back in the mid-2000s that in the academic and industry world of new tech that we should actually be paid for using social media since we are the product. Look how that turned out.

a few thousand rangers fans going without social media for a week runs up to a lot of cash to these guys. It would certainly make them react.

The social media companies wouldn’t even notice if a few thousand Rangers fans came off social media for a week mate.

Old bear, I've banned my partners daughter 26, from texting in the living room as I think its ignorant. Walks about the house 24/7 with a mobile in her hand spouting all sorts of crap. What a waste of a life.

The social media companies wouldn’t even notice if a few thousand Rangers fans came off social media for a week mate.
You would be surprised. Each user of social media is worth at least 20 G annually in advertising revenue if they use most platforms.

Twenty thousand supporters or more, plus the effect of players would make them notice.

I am in my 30s and when I say to people that I do not have any social media’s account they look at me as if I must be kidding. I genuinely don’t have any social media accounts at all and I will be keeping it that way. I don’t like the “look at me” “my dad is bigger than your dad” brigade on social media. All about keeping up with the Jones IMO. Yes it can be used for good causes etc but most of the people I know that have such accounts speak negatively of them. Ie they’ve been racially abused, homophobic comments, bullied. Not for me BAN THE LOT haha

I've said no, because while I support the club and our players, I do feel that the stance is a bit misguided.

I do not agree that social media should have to verify users through official I'd type stuff. I also don't think that doing so would stop the racism. What it will do is make it easier for people to be targeted for other opinions.

As an example, I have 2 twitter accounts - one under my actual name where I talk about everything except politics. The other is under a pseudonym because scotland is absolutely toxic when it comes to politics and there is evidence of SNP encouraged pile ons and doxxing of people who disagree.

FF dont count, in here you say the wrong thing you're out and also the offending post is gone. twatter and facebook need to start looking at their rules and start using the FF ban hammer..

real names and addresses should be kept on a data base so that when you do think you are being fly hiding behind a user name there is always someone that can point the police at your door.
I disagree entirely with your second paragraph.

Should someone have a criminal record for suggesting the head of the Catholic Church perhaps needs a sexual encounter?

I suppose we have to ask.
Why wait for Rangers to ask.?
If someone feels coming off social media for a spell would help in some small way they should just do it rather than waiting on Rangers.
I think our club has handled this situation superbly. So proud of my team on and off the park.

I dont think me not using Facebook for 10 minutes a day would make any difference to anything therefore I voted no. What would it achieve?

Absolutely, bloody well come off it and stay off it. This Forum is the onl S.M I'm on, get everything I need to know about Glasgow Rangers right here.... weaned myself away from the scourge of SM years ago when admitted to myself that hours of nonsense was just dragging me down.

Surprised that clubs don't have it in players contract(s). Reading or worse responding to some imbecile(s) abuse online is a no-no for players or anyone else for that matter, who the f**k needs that grief?

Protests? pfffft!, till SM owners enforce strict control standing, marching , kneeling T Shirt slogans will make little or no difference, SM owners making a klondyke on advertising are in no hurry to change anything very much, short of window dressing and lip service. In time there will be a serious clampdown, yes a number of people (it's NOT a minority, it's a huge problem) will ruin the concept of SM communication by poisoning the well.

All the baloney of personal blah blah not worth listening to, far wiser for players to avoid stuff that can be at the very least be deeply upsetting/distressing, there are some things in life we are better off not knowing, hearing or seeing.

Social Media has long been the Elephant in the room, when talking to friends who ask why no FB for me, they tell me the usual that they like it to keep in touch with family as if they have no telephone,email pen and paper et al, of course, some have a sound handle on it's use and pitfalls but the truth is ...it can be very dangerous and stealing valuable time, all consuming and a grim addiction for thousands, perhaps millions......but ffs...don't mention/say that.

Last edited:
Surely it's only a useful exercise if it's someone who has a meaningful following on social media I.e. Rangers players.

Wee John from from Irvine isn't going to be missed by his 280 Facebook friends, or his 140 Instagram followers.

I find the idea of not posting pish on social media for a week as a some sort of fist in the face of racism absolutely nonsense. Pointless gestures that will achieve hee haw.

Why wait for the Club just come off it anyway, faceless warriors on social media spouting poison if all right thinking people come off for a week or two might make the companies that run FB Twitter etc take some action.

I decided to do it last night (not because the Club asked me, but because l agree its a good idea - fed up seeing people laughing at the death of a Royal Family member, plus lots of other shite that is constantly posted by absolute tossers).
Set a target of 7 days, just like Rangers, but if I'm enjoying the peace and quiet will look at extending that.
Facebook and Twitter l am on far too often, dont bother much with Instagram, but a break for a few good reasons makes perfect sense right now.
Well, yes indeed, the abuse of an old man dying is just grim. Not at all a Royal family fan but his death is nothing to gloat about. The BBC didn't do them any favours by saturating their channels with hours of repetitive nonsense.

Seven days break from SM is a god start, anything I mean anything that will help anyone spend less time buggering about on SM for hours on end has to be good news, after a week yanno never know what you can do with time....it is after all killing us all, I need to use it some more.

It’s not going to stop anything just like taking the knee has stopped nothing.
Sadly that's true, the kneeling malarkey has become a parody with many participating loathing it all but fearing a backlash from The Woke Brigade if they show any defiance.

Had a 'debate' with the wife about this last night....

Does FF count as Social Media?
I said no, but she says yes.
Technically speaking she is probably right as we are interacting with other people online about various different subjects.
That just doesn't suit my narrative, so I'm saying it isn't!

I disagree entirely with your second paragraph.

Should someone have a criminal record for suggesting the head of the Catholic Church perhaps needs a sexual encounter?
that comment has and can be directed at a large number of people so doesn't count ;) more if its racist, death threats or out and out bile. you would see the keyboard commandos vanish over night

we can say so much on here but there is a line where admin will deal with it even if they deep down agree with what was said.

that comment has and can be directed at a large number of people so doesn't count ;) more if its racist, death threats or out and out bile. you would see the keyboard commandos vanish over night

we can say so much on here but there is a line where admin will deal with it even if they deep down agree with what was said.
I'm especially wary, given that an early proposal for the hate crime bill included 'hatred towards a political entity'.

Social media need to enforce their own rules, and ip ban people for racism/threats but that still doesn't mean they should have a database with people's name, address etc imo.

I'm especially wary, given that an early proposal for the hate crime bill included 'hatred towards a political entity'.

Social media need to enforce their own rules, and ip ban people for racism/threats but that still doesn't mean they should have a database with people's name, address etc imo.
two things then.

imagine ssnp pushing a law that jails their own mp/msp's and councilors let alone the cult following.

and secondly if no data base on names then with VPN Those hiding behind behind user names still hide behind vpn so that cant work.

at one point mark had my name and phone number and maybe still does, three other admin know who i am, on here you at least face a ban if being over the top

my network providers who i pay my bills to know who i am and maybe they can track my online stuff even behind VPN i dont know. something needs to change so that those thinking they can do and say what they want to anyone get a chap at the door when being nasty on line.

Had a 'debate' with the wife about this last night....

Does FF count as Social Media?
I said no, but she says yes.
Technically speaking she is probably right as we are interacting with other people online about various different subjects.
That just doesn't suit my narrative, so I'm saying it isn't!
Nooooooo.....FF is a highly informative, a provocative Bible of crucial information and speculation of what has, will and maybe happen at Ibrox. Therapeutic in it's purpose to express disapproval (disgust) at the misguided judgement of others, particularly anything in wearing horizontal green hoops or any other disguises the Irish pikey chose to camouflage with, tricolours, worry beads, splattered holy water, incense, robes ,anything purple and any such baubles.

Social Media on the other hand is for hurs, bairns and comical singers a medium that needs to be stamped out ASAP for the good of all mankind.

Your wife may very well have a valid point but being a lass ,need to cut her some slack, the importance vital of FF quite escapes our better half.

Nooooooo.....FF is a highly informative, a provocative Bible of crucial information and speculation of what has, will and maybe happen at Ibrox. Therapeutic in it's purpose to express disapproval (disgust) at the misguided judgement of others, particularly anything in wearing horizontal green hoops or any other disguises the Irish pikey chose to camouflage with, tricolours, worry beads, splattered holy water, incense, robes ,anything purple and any such baubles.

Social Media on the other hand is for hurs, bairns and comical singers a medium that needs to be stamped out ASAP for the good of all mankind.

Your wife may very well have a valid point but being a lass ,need to cut her some slack, the importance vital of FF quite escapes our better half.
Well said Sir!!! :))

I’d say No
Our fans stop using social media for a week won’t stop the racism
The UK government should use the powers they have to make the social media companies comply with anti racism and if they fail to do so they should not be allowed to operate within the UK

But again that’s only my view
The UK?
The World!!

So… you would over whelmingly support a social media blackout.If the club asked you?
Good to know.

Many including in the public eye including our own JD believe that these SM platforms have a responsibility to halt these hate messages from getting out… there!
Is he right?

As we all know social media, whether we like it or not seems to play a huge part in our lives.And it is a billion dollar business.

But like all corporations they should, and needs to be governance, and regulation, most of all accountability.

No one should think we have to resort to being like a communist state, but these platforms should be made accountable for their actions, and allowing these messages of hate to propagate.

They are wrong, and hurtful.
Just ask our captain. Or Jermain Defoe. Or Alfredo Morelos.Or...Glen Kamara.

One small step may lead to even bigger steps in the future, and in my opinion the club should be applauded for taking any stance in this issue.

Right now this issue has become very personal.And until the authorities start handling their own responsibilities better, actions like this are needed.

It may seem an insurmountable problem to even try and rectify.
But we can’t just give up either, and accept the status quo.

As that incident in the Slavia Prague game proved...there is just too much ...at stake.

Thanks to all who participated in the poll.

Back