If the uk played as one national team

Barry would have got in that team.

Before his injury an coming back to us he was getting mom against those players.

Without his injury he would would have moved to one of the top 4 that summer as a player he was on par with them his attitude is a different story
Sorry but no chance. He was good but wouldn't have ousted them.

McGregor would have seen some caps I suspect. Alan Hutton would have challenged Glen Johnson for the RB role on his day. Going back a bit further, Colin Hendry and Richard Gough would have both walked into the England teams at the time they were playing.
Currently Robertson and Tierney would likely get capped at LB.

I think you'd be going back as far as Souness before you found a Scottish midfielder that could have pushed their way into the England squad at the time. Barry Ferguson may have seen some caps but would not have been able to get regular starts against the players he was up against. Strachan at a push.

Strikers, Super, Dalglish, Denis Law would have all seen plenty of caps as they were as good as anything England had to offer up.

You also can't forget the likes of George Best and Ryan Giggs who would have had a cemented place in any UK squad and would have kept any Scottish player out at the time they were playing as there was nobody better in their respective positions when they were playing.

There would have been a few Scotland players who would have made their 1992 Euro Squad including Goram, Gough, McAllister and McCoist.

Hard to gauge who would have played and it would probably have come down to how biased the manager was towards the English players.

In the early nineties McCoist for example would have been fighting between Lineker and then Shearer and there was only a short gap between them.

Ian Wright was also scoring goals for Arsenal but the games against Leeds showed that Rangers were more than a match for the best English teams.

I love Barry, he’s arguably my favourite ever Rangers player. I just don’t think he’s as good as Scholes, Lampard or Gerrard
Certainly good enough to be in a squad
The suggestion is quite frankly laughable along with a lot of other suggestions on this thread.

Steven Davis & Liam Cooper are mental shouts.

In the mid to late 90s England had some class forwards that couldn't even get a regular game Wright,fowler,Cole off the top of my head.

Barry between 99 and 2003 would have got in ahead of gerrard and lampard.

Someone I've not seen mentioned is Kenny miller. Would he have got into the team from 2004 to 2010? England especially seemed to struggle outside of Rooney in this period for a regular number 9. During this period I'd have had Kenny in the team ahead of the likes of crouch Heskey even Owen.

Good thread op

Johnny Evans is the most consistent quality centre back the UK has produced going back a good few years. He’d have been a mainstay in squads and probably the team.

Him and McAulay at West Brom around 2016 was one of the best central defences in the UK, certainly the best involving only UK players.

I think their would be a few Rangers players. Scots players? Definitely Gough and Goram (although neither were born in Scotland). Would Goram (or Gough) even have been counted as Scots?

The suggestion is quite frankly laughable along with a lot of other suggestions on this thread.

Steven Davis & Liam Cooper are mental shouts.

Davis a few years ago at Southampton is far from a mental shout, he was one of the best British midfielders in the EPL for 2 or 3 seasons, I’ll bet worse players than him got capped by England at the time today the likes of Ward-Prowse who is a good player nothing more has 8 caps. Joey Barton got a cap ffs.

He wouldn’t have made first 11 at a major tournament but he’d definitely have had a chance of being in and around squads.

Scotland: Goram, McGregor, Gough, Hendry, McAllister, McCoist, Duncan Ferguson, Barry Ferguson, maybe Stuart McCall would have got caps or made squads.

Wales: Bale, Ramsay, Giggs, Hughes, maybe Rush early 90s.

England have played the likes of Carlton Palmer, Keith Curle, Andy Sinton, Steve Stone, and Phil Neville at major tournaments in the past 30 years, they are not all world beaters ahead of anyone Scotland, Wales, and NI produce.

Davis a few years ago at Southampton is far from a mental shout, he was one of the best British midfielders in the EPL for 2 or 3 seasons, I’ll bet worse players than him got capped by England at the time today the likes of Ward-Prowse who is a good player nothing more has 8 caps. Joey Barton got a cap ffs.

He wouldn’t have made first 11 at a major tournament but he’d definitely have had a chance of being in and around squads.

Scotland: Goram, McGregor, Gough, Hendry, McAllister, McCoist, Duncan Ferguson, Barry Ferguson, maybe Stuart McCall would have got caps or made squads.

Wales: Bale, Ramsay, Giggs, Hughes, maybe Rush early 90s.

England have played the likes of Carlton Palmer, Keith Curle, Andy Sinton, Steve Stone, and Phil Neville at major tournaments in the past 30 years, they are not all world beaters ahead of anyone Scotland, Wales, and NI produce.
In the mid to late 90s England had some class forwards that couldn't even get a regular game Wright,fowler,Cole off the top of my head.

Barry between 99 and 2003 would have got in ahead of gerrard and lampard.

Someone I've not seen mentioned is Kenny miller. Would he have got into the team from 2004 to 2010? England especially seemed to struggle outside of Rooney in this period for a regular number 9. During this period I'd have had Kenny in the team ahead of the likes of crouch Heskey even Owen.

Good thread op

For a 22 man squad and to tick some boxes, then maybe.

For a regular place in a British select or at a major tournament then possibly McAllister around 96, Hendry and Goram 94 & 96, Andy Robertson and Tierney now.

McCoist would probably get in as a backup to the main strikers.

McTominay is not an “upgrade on Rice”. Nor, will he ever be. No one has that opinion. Not even you.
Rice is the epitome of a hyped up English footballer who will go for stupid money but in reality is bang average. Will look good at west ham but will be bit part player at a big club.

Mctominey is significantly underated at man u because he doesn't have a sexy name, plays in a stable boring roll in the side and came through their youth. He's been one of their best players this season.

Robertson obviously

In the 90s loads of Scots would have got in depending on the manager. The reality is though if the manager was English then he wouldn't have picked anyone who played in Scotland. Mark Hateley is proof of that. At Euro 92 England didnt take Gary Stevens or Mark Hatetely but did take Keith Curle, Tony Dorigo, Alan Smith and a Gary Linekar who was playing in Japan. Mental.
If it was a UK national team then there would have been a U.K. national league so it really wouldn’t have mattered who played where.

I take your point about Hateley right enough. As much as I liked Graham Taylor as a person and club manager he was hopeless as England manager.

Back