If the window slammed shut?

not happy. but we know this team can perform they just need consistency nothing to say that wouldnt come this year with no other additions but id much rather have another midfielder in the door

Would prefer another midfielder. I dont think we will see any more forward players, or defenders tbh,though we may need a back up right back depending on how Gerrard sees Pattersons role.

Like many have said before me here, a quality midfielder and maybe one more quality wide player.

A midfielder is a must though.

Reactions: cav
Celtic's squad is significantly weaker than ours in key areas currently so yes.

They need a back 4's worth of players

I actually think if it shut now then yes I would, Celtic have absolutely no squad depth, something which has affected us badly.

Would prefer we get a midfielder in at least, but that obviously gives them time to strengthen too.

Would you be confident of winning the league? I don't think we're far away

If it's slamming shut for both teams then 100%.

Look at their bench on Sunday and look at our's last night.
They were at full strength and we still have McGregor and Defoe to add to our's.

We have by far the stronger depth and quality of squad now.

No chance, midfield is a problem area.

Yeah. The squad, while better, isn't there yet. Midfield was an issue last year and it's the one area we've not improved on, yet.

We need at least one player in there just now to give a couple of different options for playing style and then we will probably need another one in January to help things along.

Jesus mate, stop flogging a dead horse.

Just admit you got it wrong.

We've got far better options than them in the middle of the park.
They're threadbare.

McGregor, Christie, Brown, Ntcham, Johnston, Rogic and Schved (plus Soro who I've got no idea about in terms of ability)

Now Rogic and Schved might be bit part players but they contribute to Celtic.

We've got Jack, Kamara and Davis who don't score goals or create assists and they are / were last season pretty much our first choice players for a number of games.

Aribo if he's in that three will have stats like McGregor but he's really playing the equivalent role to Forrest with them as an attacker for us.

After that we've got Arfield and pretty much no one else.

We desperately need additional midfield players. Docherty, McCrorie are gone and Barjonas is still at jury out stage

McGregor, Christie, Brown, Ntcham, Johnston, Rogic and Schved (plus Soro who I've got no idea about in terms of ability)

Now Rogic and Schved might be bit part players but they contribute to Celtic.

We've got Jack, Kamara and Davis who don't score goals or create assists and they are / were last season pretty much our first choice players for a number of games.

Aribo if he's in that three will have stats like McGregor.

After that we've got Arfield and pretty much no one else.

We desperately need additional midfield players

Mate, no disrespect, but that is a pretty ill informed post (assuming you're not fishing).

Of the players you've mentioned, only Brown, McGregor and Ntcham are central midfielders.

Christie plays more advanced, or wide on occasion, while Johnson is a wide forward who's also been injured for 6 months.

To class Rogic and Schved as bit players is certainly overstating their worth.

Schved has never played a competitive 1st team game for Celtic and Rogic has been out of the picture for 2 seasons.

Neither made their squad last Sunday and they're actively trying to currently punt both of them, without much luck.

The OP was, "If the window slammed shut."

Based on current squads, it's Brown, McGregor and an unsettled Ntcham v Kamara, Jack, Aribo, Davis and Arfield.

Who would you honestly rather have?

I'm not counting McCrorie, Doc or Barjonas, as they're nearly as far away from our 1st team squad as Rogic is from their's.

I think we are now better positioned to deal with the dross in the SPL. I think we are 1 middle of the park marquee signing away from staying ahead of the poets head to head

I am very confident, because we started the season so early the past 2 seasons that post January our players were drained, we now have a bench which is very strong last night we had Davis, Arfield, Helander, Roofe and Itten on the bench, we also have experienced guys like Defoe and Murphy, so I would like another powerful midfielder but having the ability to chop and change without material weakening of the starting 11 will make a world of difference

Mate, no disrespect, but that is a pretty ill informed post (assuming you're not fishing).

Of the players you've mentioned, only Brown, McGregor and Ntcham are central midfielders.

Christie plays more advanced, or wide on occasion, while Johnson is a wide forward who's also been injured for 6 months.

Schved has never played a competitive 1st team game for Celtic and Rogic has been out of the picture for 2 seasons.

Neither made their squad last Sunday and they're actively trying to currently punt both of them, without much luck.

Based on current squads, it's Brown, McGregor and an unsettled Ntcham v Kamara, Jack, Aribo, Davis and Arfield.

I'm not counting McCrorie, Doc or Barjonas, as they're nearly as far away from our 1st team squad as Rogic is from their's.

It is a bit early to start saying we have the best midfield, the last 2 years it hasn’t been good enough and it hasn’t been improved for this season yet.
It is too early though to say they are worse, we will see later on in the season and I hope you are correct.

It is a bit early to start saying we have the best midfield, the last 2 years it hasn’t been good enough and it hasn’t been improved for this season yet.
It is too early though to say they are worse, we will see later on in the season and I hope you are correct.

I'm basing it purely on current form and their lack of squad depth mate.

I know there's a lot of twists and turns ahead, including the fact that the window is open until October and I feel they will strengthen.

I worry we have a terrific run building game on game until Lockdown 2 comes in. Season eventually being declared null and void. No way will we be gifted a title.

I am very confident, because we started the season so early the past 2 seasons that post January our players were drained, we now have a bench which is very strong last night we had Davis, Arfield, Helander, Roofe and Itten on the bench, we also have experienced guys like Defoe and Murphy, so I would like another powerful midfielder but having the ability to chop and change without material weakening of the starting 11 will make a world of difference
Assuming the season is allowed to continue, I think the lack of a winter break will help us (together with a large squad). Thats been our momentum-busting downfall last couple of years I think.

Celtic's squad is significantly weaker than ours in key areas currently so yes.

They need a back 4's worth of players

We have more talented players in almost every position. I know what happened last season but we have improved. We also have two very promising signings that will start to contribute heavily soon once they’ve had time to settle and get fit.

I don’t think they are any stronger than last year and comparing the likes of Kent and Aribo to Forest and McGregor, you’d have to be confident.

Get an 11 point lead and I don’t think we’ll look back this year.

That’s your opinion and my opinion is we will not win the league playing jack and Kamara in the same team every week.

Ah well, all about opinions mate.

I still want us to sign another central midfielder, but based on current squads, which was the OP, they are very light in this position.

I think our strength and depth of quality is far better than their's currently and you don't.

That's fair enough.

I honestly think we are 2 away.

CM and RM/RW. The CM has to be McCrorie/Davis/Kamara + 10 goals rolled into one though :) Over to you Ross :)

MATE!

I only really know about Celtic from what any workmates who talk about them tell me but a quick google suggests that Schved has not only played a competitive game but scored for them too. I'm not sure how "ill informed" your thoughts on it are but this suggests you're wrong.

Shved scored on his Celtic debut in a 2–0 away win (Agg 7–0) over Nõmme Kalju FC in the second qualifying round of the 2019–20 UEFA Champions League coming on as a substitute and scoring in injury time with a powerful strike from the edge of the penalty area.[15]

You can't be counting Aribo in our midfielders and telling me at the same time that Christie doesn't form part of the players we're talking about for them. Their attackers are Edouard, Forrest and Elyounoussi the same way as ours are Alfie, Kent and Hagi.

Either Christie and Aribo are attackers or midfielders but one can't be one and the other not.

Purely from our point of view, we need "numbers" in our midfield as the manager keeps referencing. Davis, Kamara and Jack do not provide goals and assists like McGregor does for them.

Their big point is that they've been over the course. You might think they're light in there but they had the advantage that Jack and Kamara don't have of having won a league before.

MATE!

I only really know about Celtic from what any workmates who talk about them tell me but a quick google suggests that Schved has not only played a competitive game but scored for them too. I'm not sure how "ill informed" your thoughts on it are but this suggests you're wrong.

You can't be counting Aribo in our midfielders and telling me at the same time that Christie doesn't form part of the players we're talking about for them. Their attackers are Edouard, Forrest and Elyounoussi the same way as ours are Alfie, Kent and Hagi.

Either Christie and Aribo are attackers or midfielders but one can't be one and the other not.

Purely from our point of view, we need "numbers" in our midfield as the manager keeps referencing. Davis, Kamara and Jack do not provide goals and assists like McGregor does for them.

Their big point is that they've been over the course. You might think they're light in there but they had the advantage that Jack and Kamara don't have of having won a league before.

You've got me on Shved.
I should've emphasised league games, but the fact remains he isn't close to their 1st team squad.

I included Aribo in our central midfielders, as he has played the role on occasion, although he is more comfortable further forward.

For what it's worth, I believe both teams will strengthen in that area, but that wasn't the question.

Currently, if McGregor or Brown get injured, they're in deep shit.

If Kamara or Jack get injured, we've got 2 international captains in reserve.

Would you be confident of winning the league? I don't think we're far away
No there is not near enough speed in that midfield for me everything the build ups are very poor, hagi, aribo, jack davis, arfield and especially kamara all very slow we need fast and incisive passing up the top to cut teams open.

You've got me on Shved.
I should've emphasised league games, but the fact remains he isn't close to their 1st team squad.

I included Aribo in our central midfielders, as he has played the role on occasion, although he is more comfortable further forward.

For what it's worth, I believe both teams will strengthen in that area, but that wasn't the question.

Currently, if McGregor or Brown get injured, they're in deep shit.

If Kamara or Jack get injured, we've got 2 international captains in reserve.

The question also wasn't "if one of their players get injured..." so that bears no relation to the issue.

They're fit and playing (when their games aren't postponed) and their first choice three of Brown, McGregor and Christie are a match for the SPL games where they've gone on long winning runs we've yet to match. Two of those three players score lots for them whereas you can only suggest tha Aribo is going to get into double figures from our three.

On any given day with the first choice XIs, we've shown we can compete with them and beat them.

I'm not 100% sure who they might have lost from their previous season or two (Kouassi went to Genk but didn't play a league game for them) from the midfield but I don't think they're light in there based on what's gone on before. It seems to have served them pretty well so far (not that I enjoy bumming them up)

Very simply:
Can we win it as things stand? Yes
Would I feel more comfortable if another midfielder came in? Yes
Is our sqaud strong enough to beat any team in our league? Yes
Have we shown with this current sqaud we can beat them in any one off game? Yes
Does that mean it's a guarantee? Of course not. Between off days, refereeing, finding consistency, the pandemic and the last few seasons I take nothing for granted.

But I 100% believe we are more than capable.

I kind of feel like we really lack a bully in the middle of the park. Seems a crass thing to look for, but I wish we had someone that could just get tore in, dictate things physically and intimidate opponents a bit more than I feel our current players do.

When Jack signed I sort of hoped he'd be that kind of player, not really knowing enough about him admittedly, but it hasn't really transpired that way.

I think we have bags of technical quality in there, but there's definitely something missing for me.

No there is not near enough speed in that midfield for me everything the build ups are very poor, hagi, aribo, jack davis, arfield and especially kamara all very slow we need fast and incisive passing up the top to cut teams open.

Agree DB, I’d like an attacker & midfielder with energy & pace.

The question also wasn't "if one of their players get injured..." so that bears no relation to the issue.

They're fit and playing (when their games aren't postponed) and their first choice three of Brown, McGregor and Christie are a match for the SPL games where they've gone on long winning runs we've yet to match. Two of those three players score lots for them whereas you can only suggest tha Aribo is going to get into double figures from our three.

On any given day with the first choice XIs, we've shown we can compete with them and beat them.

I'm not 100% sure who they might have lost from their previous season or two (Kouassi went to Genk but didn't play a league game for them) from the midfield but I don't think they're light in there based on what's gone on before. It seems to have served them pretty well so far (not that I enjoy bumming them up)

They've only lost Forster, Simumovic and Bauer, if my memory serves me correct.

They've replaced Forster, probably don't think they need to replace Bauer (and I'd agree with them) , but they haven't replaced Simumovic.

They only currently have the 2 central defenders and neither impressed last Sunday, so they are light in there too.

This season will be very condensed and it'll be a tough ask for Brown and McGregor to play every weekend and midweek throughout.

Their squad is definitely light in a few areas and they have a fair bit of work to do in the transfer market.

Even if Messi ronalaldo and neymar rocked up to Ibrox I'd still be unsure because our governing body, media, compliance officer and match officials are a shower of corrupt biased cheating kunts.
But surely they're doing all they can to ensure Celtic don't get 10 in a row??? I mean the harsh punishment of postponing 2 fixtures is surely proof that everyone is against Celtic...

I was genuinely baffled when I saw some of them complaining along these lines, must have completely forgotten January to July

Back