If there is no fan base majority for any canidates, the majority are going to be disappointed.

ontheline

No McLaren.
No McLeish
No Moyes
No Neil
No Pardew
No Allerdyce
No McCoist
McInnes is considered a second best loser and certainly doesn't have a majority.
Murty isn't considered to have enough experience and doesn't have a majority.

There is no outstanding candidate. Whoever is appointed is going to leave the majority hugely disappointed.
This is the first time in my life I have experienced the majority of Rangers supporters disappointed over an appointment or signing.

The board have tried thinking outside the box twice and it hasn't worked.
Despite the supporters getting behind Warburton and Caixhina, I detect an atmosphere of "better get it right this time, or else." The board are in an impossible position with no outstanding or favourable candidate.

Is it a case of getting behind their 3rd appointment, no matter what or whom, or supping it up and getting on with it, or revolt?

We don't have the cash to go for a big name and we all know that.
McInnes would be ok and do a decent job but unlikely to overtake them. However, only big cash will fix it and that ain't happening any time soon.
McInnes is the best of an average bunch imo.

The support will get behind whoever the board appoint.
The dissent that exists on this board is not evident in the stands.
Any manager will rightly be judged on results. I feel whoever it is better hit the ground running though.
As we've just witnessed with Pedro, the goodwill won't last long if the results aren't there.

No McLaren.
No McLeish
No Moyes
No Neil
No Pardew
No Allerdyce
No McCoist
McInnes is considered a second best loser and certainly doesn't have a majority.
Murty isn't considered to have enough experience and doesn't have a majority.

There is no outstanding candidate. Whoever is appointed is going to leave the majority hugely disappointed.
This is the first time in my life I have experienced the majority of Rangers supporters disappointed over an appointment or signing.

The board have tried thinking outside the box twice and it hasn't worked.
Despite the supporters getting behind Warburton and Caixhina, I detect an atmosphere of "better get it right this time, or else." The board are in an impossible position with no outstanding or favourable candidate.

Is it a case of getting behind their 3rd appointment, no matter what or whom, or supping it up and getting on with it, or revolt?

If you have accepted you are going to lose an asset, but you want to maximise the price you get for it. How do you go about making said asset look more attractive?
Stage 1: Skew the aesthetic contrast, by making the fans believe that unattractive alternatives are being considered.
Stage 2: Make it look like the deal is falling through for financial reasons, thereby leaving the imaginary unattractive alternatives as the only option.
Stage 3: Wait until the phone rings with the offer you actually want.

All of this done with the knowledge that the worst case scenario is you are left with your best performing manager in decades.

They employed him with the understanding that if he was successful, a move to us could be highly likely. They have simply got their ducks in a row to ensure they were duly rewarded. Low risk win/win scenario for dolly.

Decent post OTL & makes some very good points

I’m 100% sure it’s DMC & I’m happy about this - I’m actually excited about it

I can make his case but it’s been done to death, I also understand the points against

So to answer your final point, bluntly, we might not all like it but yes it is time to get behind him

Vital appointment for the board , I sincerely hope it’s right
If it were to be DM, I personally would feel deflated.
A huge pay off for Caixhina and a huge compensation package for McInnes, who in all reality isn't that much better.
Caixhina took us further in the league cup this season and was closing in on him last season.
I respect those who hold a different opinion.

If Standards post is correct and I have no reason to doubt it, Neil is high up the pecking order.
To put it bluntly, if he finishes third attendances will be down to less that 30,000 next season.
A scum fan as manager will be a hard pill to swallow, just like the turncoat Moyes.

If it is McInnes and he produces similar to Caixhina, the support will very quickly turn on him.
They have turned on legends like Greig and Waddell in his role as General Manager.
McInnes doesn't stand a chance without a majority. Especially with patience running out after two flops.
The board have backed themselves into a corner, considering those with only British experience.

If we keep winning and playing well under GM ...he will be the outstanding candidate...and whats more if we cannot see that and act upon it ...another club will do so.

I wouldn’t fall into the trap of taking the opinions seen on FF as anything close to what the fans who turn up every week will think.

McInnes will get 100% backing at Ibrox and by the travelling bears.

Any manager will get the full backing of the fans regardless of whether he is the right man for the job or not.

The appointment will garner a reaction. It'll be mixed throughout the fan base. However, it's what the reaction turns into over time that will matter. This will be down to results. It actually doesn't matter what the initial reaction is. If the appointed manager goes on to win titles and cups then they will become revered. Even if it's Steve McClaren.

Decent post OTL & makes some very good points

I’m 100% sure it’s DMC & I’m happy about this - I’m actually excited about it

I can make his case but it’s been done to death, I also understand the points against

So to answer your final point, bluntly, we might not all like it but yes it is time to get behind him

Vital appointment for the board , I sincerely hope it’s right

Glad to hear that.

I posted about three months ago that whatever happens with Pedro the next manager would be the safe option. So understandably I am not that enthused by the list of candidates - probably one of the reasons I wanted Pedro to succeed.

That said of all the options I think McInness would seem the most logical and least risky of those shortlisted so if he is the man I will be happyish.

Everyone has their favourite candidate. Everyone has their 'please God no' candidate. Given we all want the new manager, whoever he may be, to be successful though, I'm sure the vast majority will get 100% behind whoever is appointed.

The danger is, if it's not a popular appointment and things start poorly, that the 'I told you so' brigade will turn against him very quickly.

Support will grow for mcinnes when people look at the other names floated about , certainly the thought of moyes / Neil as manager will naturally have people go pro-mcinnes

I disagree that every candidate only has a minority backing.

McInnes for instance, while admittedly lacking a wow factor, would have the majority behind him, IMO.

I think that would be true of one or two others linked so far, and anyway, it really isn’t any different to most of our managerial appointments.

Pedro caused significant head scratching and alarm when he succeeded Warburton, who was far from a unanimous choice amongst the support himself.

Going back further, there was large chunks of the fanbase against the appointments of McCoist, McLeish and Walter, indeed it’s rare that we unite behind a manager right from the word go.

Decent OP.

There are no outstanding candidates and we are a cross roads as a club in terms of the amount of risk we are prepared to take on the next appointment.

I, personally, feel good about McInnes but I'm desperately not wanting his sidekick. That will be where my concerns will show up.

As a support, I don't reckon we can agree on the colour of the sky so there would be very few candidates out there capable of getting the majority on the same page.

While the options available are underwhelming, I have no doubt the majority will be with Derek McInnes from day one.

Personally, i'll get behind whoever is in charge. However, there is a bit of a "meh" feeling about the candidates mooted. I would complain about McInnes or Moyes, but McLaren or McCoist would be a massive step backwards and either appointment would lead to a shitshow.

After two poor managerial appointments I don't think the board can afford a third.

It probably was Derek McInnes from day one.

The delay was to give the impression they looked, rather than rushing in and he was the best option.

The board are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Goes without saying that the support will get behind whoever is appointed.
As someone who goes home and away I don't want McInnes but if he is appointed I will fully support him.

Football fans in general are a bunch of whinging bastards, but I think the majority of Bears on the terraces would be happy with McInnes.

It probably was Derek McInnes from day one.

The delay was to give the impression they looked, rather than rushing in and he was the best option.

The board are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It would seem bizarre to delay anything in order to give the impression that they’re thinking about it.

Whoever gets the appointment will get my full backing.
I expect that this would be the case from all of our support, no matter who gets the job.
But given what I witnessed with the last appointment, I do sometimes wonder?

There was no real buzz when Smith and McLeish got the job but both were successful.Compare that to the buzz around le Guen who was a disaster.
Sometimes the excitement isn't justified

Everyone has their favourite candidate. Everyone has their 'please God no' candidate. Given we all want the new manager, whoever he may be, to be successful though, I'm sure the vast majority will get 100% behind whoever is appointed.

The danger is, if it's not a popular appointment and things start poorly, that the 'I told you so' brigade will turn against him very quickly.

I dont have a favourite "candidate" tbh.

No matter who it is it's going to be a tough job for reasons we're all aware of. As long as he's got us playing decent football, got an eye for a player, along with the D of F, & makes us competitive. That'll do for starters.

It's simple:

1. We don't have the money for a 'huge impact manager' and we all know that
2. "Being a bit better than we are now" is hardly a rallying cry for the troops

It is what it is...we need manager and we hope it will all go well but there is no outstanding candidate and no prospect of catching filth soon and so fans are rightly not getting pessimistic or optimistic....isn't enough we had 49,500 again on Saturday? We're SO loyal considering what we've been put through.

I don't have a favourite candidate purely because I don't actually know who all the candidates are, or if the list referred to on various threads is genuine or not.
I hope I'm wrong and the appointment is an unexpected surprise, however I don't expect to be thrilled nor depressed. Regardless, the new manager will get my backing, as he will get from the vast majority of Bears, well initially anyway.

If it were to be DM, I personally would feel deflated.
A huge pay off for Caixhina and a huge compensation package for McInnes, who in all reality isn't that much better.
Caixhina took us further in the league cup this season and was closing in on him last season.
I respect those who hold a different opinion.

If Standards post is correct and I have no reason to doubt it, Neil is high up the pecking order.
To put it bluntly, if he finishes third attendances will be down to less that 30,000 next season.
A scum fan as manager will be a hard pill to swallow, just like the turncoat Moyes.

If it is McInnes and he produces similar to Caixhina, the support will very quickly turn on him.
They have turned on legends like Greig and Waddell in his role as General Manager.
McInnes doesn't stand a chance without a majority. Especially with patience running out after two flops.
The board have backed themselves into a corner, considering those with only British experience.

I think far to much gets made of this on here, tbh. Unless it was someone like Gerry Creaney, Peter Grant or the likes then the fans will back whoever is appointed whether they played for Celtic 5 times or their Grannies surname was O'Callaghan.

If FF was around when we replaced Souness with Smith then I'd imagine the majority would be underwhelmed.

We crave a big name but as history has shown, it doesn't always work.

McInnes is the best man for the job. Not the most exciting, but the right one.

It's simple:

1. We don't have the money for a 'huge impact manager' and we all know that
2. "Being a bit better than we are now" is hardly a rallying cry for the troops

It is what it is...we need manager and we hope it will all go well but there is no outstanding candidate and no prospect of catching filth soon and so fans are rightly not getting pessimistic or optimistic....isn't enough we had 49,500 again on Saturday? We're SO loyal considering what we've been put through.
Who would be 'huge impact' manager (even we did have the money) and everyone would agree on? De boer? I don't think everyone would automatically be be behind even that appointments given his time at inter and palace

Everton are not short of cash and they seem to be looking at allardyce and dyche, are all Everton fans behind one candidate?

Seems to be a more a case of limited number of managers available in football and even less who would come to Scotland and of those, they will be most likely trying to rebuild a reputation after a bad time at a previous club. The question is would the fan base forgive them / look past previous efforts (ignore the media waiting to slight them come first bad result?)

McLaren seems to be on a downward trajectory but undoubtedly has skill as a coach , its whether we want a coach or a manager now under new structure of board / director of football / football operations and how we get that message across if that is the new route

Looking back I was all for the appointment of warburton, and given choice I would've took him over mclaren at that point, and mclaren has done nothing since then so I'm not inclined to look again at mclaren

Mcinnes seems to be the most sensible / if not flashy pick, yes i don't fancy giving Aberdeen compo money , but given we paid hibs a similar sum to get mcleish 16years ago, it's not a deal breaker for me

You are correct in that, they better get it right or else.

Fans goodwill toward them is wearing thin and you can tell that's they case.
If they mess up for a third time, well.

The support will get behind whoever the board appoint.
The dissent that exists on this board is not evident in the stands.
Any manager will rightly be judged on results. I feel whoever it is better hit the ground running though.
As we've just witnessed with Pedro, the goodwill won't last long if the results aren't there.
I agree. We are all in disagreement because there’s quite a big choice and everyone has an opinion. Once the board make their choice the vast majority will get behind the new guy, and as long as results follow, he will be accepted.

Personally I'd welcome McLaren as a coach rather as manager only...he knows what he;'s doing but seems to struggle when in sole charge. My fear would be media who would be after him from word 'go' and would try and unsettle him.

Feels like almost the last chance saloon for the board in the search for the right manager - need to get this right and has to be a success.

mentally challenged domination needs to end.

Personally I'd welcome McLaren as a coach rather as manager only...he knows what he;'s doing but seems to struggle when in sole charge. My fear would be media who would be after him from word 'go' and would try and unsettle him.
If we've learned one thing from Caixinha, it's that the press will go after the new boss regardless of who it might be.

Back