If Warburton stayed ..

StaunchAndTrue

Before people get on the defensive, it’s just a hypothetical question.

If warburton and weir had stayed until now, would we be in a better or worse position than we are now? Assuming they would have had the same backing as Pedro received.

He never adapted and refused to change so there’s a good chance we’d either be in exactly the same position or worse.

If he continues to neglect the defensive coaching, we’d be much worse.

It’s a shame it didn’t work out still. There was that six month period after he came in, after all the shite we’d been through, where we played some absolutely wonderful football.

I know the opposition wasn’t great, but he’d thrown together a team and some of the football was so entertaining after everything we’d been subject to.

Would he have learned his lesson after his first season i the top flight?

Perhaps and perhaps he'd have been financially backed, but who knows!?

Before people get on the defensive, it’s just a hypothetical question.

If warburton and weir had stayed until now, would we be in a better or worse position than we are now? Assuming they would have had the same backing as Pedro received.
Warburton did nothing during his spell in the SPL to suggest he was going to do better.
Was his big signing target last winter not Hayes from the sheep?

I think history is being rewritten slightly when it comes to MW. He didn't take us as far as we wanted but he wasn't a failure, either.

In the end, he wanted out and was never well-liked behind the scenes, but ditching him for Pedro was a waste of time. Last season unraveled as soon as MW left, and Progres, losing to the Sheep, 5-1 at Ibrox was much worse than anything endured under MW (on a much smaller budget).

MW is now doing OK with a good club in a vastly superior league, whilst we scrabble around for a manager toiling in fourth.

I'm not sure who's having the last laugh right now.

It’s worth noting when he left us we were second, We now sit 4th

When he took over forest they were 20th (I think) they now sit 7th.

I think we would be in no better a position and possibly worse. He had lost the confidence of the fans and some players and his excuses were wearing thin.
H might have avoided the Progress fiasco but don't feel our league position would be any better.

It’s worth noting when he left us we were second, We now sit 4th

When he took over forest they were 20th (I think) they now sit 7th.

We were 3rd when he left. He’s claimed 2nd so often in interviews he has people believing it.

To answer the op’s question, it’s difficult to tell - he had absolutely glaring flaws in the way he set up the team but was in mitigation operating with a fairly cheap squad. Had he been backed to the extent that Pedro was in terms of finances who knows.

Either way we’d still be a distant second at best I expect.

His inflexibility and inability to adapt to other team's tactics would have meant stagnation.

Teams had him sussed out halfway through his first season. He wasn't for changing.

I don’t think so. He was going to buy Johnny Hayes ffs when we couldn’t defend for shit.

The fact that the Forest fans complaints are near enough identical to the complaints from folk on here, suggests we'd at very least be in the same position. But it's hard to say, as you don't know what he would have done with £8M.

It's frustrating, as Warburton could so easily be a top manager if he just allowed his teams to be more flexible. I suspect if it hasn't changed now though, it never will.

Have to say I think Warburton would have invested the £8m spent in the summer a lot better than Caixinha did.

Hypothetical question but if Lescott had passed his medical and signed instead of Senderos, Barton had screwed the nut and Rossitor hadn't spent the full season injured would things have panned out a lot better last year for Warburton?

In a way he was sort of unlucky Warburton but his major downfall was his stubbornness.

Not sure if we would be any worse off tbh. If he got 8M not sure we would be worse but who knows. Things were bad under MW and he also wanted out, so I really couldn't care.

For starters it would be fair to say we would still have Barrie McKay and would have signed Cummings. That right away improves our team significantly

The same MW that said we need to protect a loan player and have his parent club in mind taking our best player on the Park off at Tynecastle? The same MW who had two summers and January’s and never managed to sign a decent centre half (which was what we had been screaming for).

He was out his depth, full of himself and talked a bucket load of shit, he was crumbling to pieces and couldn’t get away quick enough.

The same MW that said we need to protect a loan player and have his parent club in mind taking our best player on the Park off at Tynecastle? The same MW who had two summers and January’s and never managed to sign a decent centre half (which was what we had been screaming for).

He was out his depth, full of himself and talked a bucket load of shit, he was crumbling to pieces and couldn’t get away quick enough.

Clint Hill.

I would still take Wilson over Cardoso. Also, one was a free transfer whereas the other cost over a million.

A goal scorer and two centre halves that could attack a ball and he wouldn’t have been far off. Most games we played we still dominated possession but couldn’t put the ball in the net and were vulnerable at every cross ball into our box.

The signings made when we came up were baffling and according to some not all Warburtons doing. Marriapa and Tarkowski were wanted but not gotten. I don’t know how hard it was tried to get them in.

He would have spent the money on variable quality of lower championship players with possibly a high profile loan from the EPL (he did have extensive contacts).

We might have beaten Progres, but still wouldn’t have beaten Celtic, would not be in a cup final and would be in a battle with Sheep and HIVs for 2nd.

All in all it’s been a wasted period since March.

We’d be doing plan A better but would still have no plan B.

Would we be worse off if he got 8m to spend, not by much I don’t think.

Have to say I think Warburton would have invested the £8m spent in the summer a lot better than Caixinha did.

Hypothetical question but if Lescott had passed his medical and signed instead of Senderos, Barton had screwed the nut and Rossitor hadn't spent the full season injured would things have panned out a lot better last year for Warburton?

In a way he was sort of unlucky Warburton but his major downfall was his stubbornness.

He failed to adapt.

This is the sentence that will ultimately sum up Warburton’s entire managerial career.

I don't believe that we would be better off because MW was not mentally strong enough for the job once things weren't going his way. He didn't learn from his mistakes, his signings were mostly awful and he couldn't handle criticism.

He was mentally weak, his team showed that as well. F*ck knows what Davie Weir brought to the table. It wasn’t a resilience nor a half decent defence.

I thought we were onto a winner in his first season. Had me hooked.

By the time he quit on us, I had had enough of his shite.

8-9 millon in the lower english leagues does not buy you alot

remember thats where mw and the best in the business was shopping

I think history is being rewritten slightly when it comes to MW. He didn't take us as far as we wanted but he wasn't a failure, either.

In the end, he wanted out and was never well-liked behind the scenes, but ditching him for Pedro was a waste of time. Last season unraveled as soon as MW left, and Progres, losing to the Sheep, 5-1 at Ibrox was much worse than anything endured under MW (on a much smaller budget).

MW is now doing OK with a good club in a vastly superior league, whilst we scrabble around for a manager toiling in fourth.

I'm not sure who's having the last laugh right now.

I agree with most of that but he definitely was a failure. He wasn’t good enough and even without the consistently horrendous defending, his antics off the park means we can have no reaction to him other than good riddance.

For me, the best XI since Warburton took over up to now is:

Wes

Tav
Alves
Cardoso
Wallace

Jack
Dorrans
Pena/Windass (lack of real quality third midfielder)

Waghorn
Morelos
McKay

The reality is we SHOULD be better, but a combination of risky signings (imagine we'd spent the £4m we spent on the Mexicans in Europe) and letting players go who could've done a job has cost us up to this point.

I still think the team above, if we hadn't let Waghorn and McKay go, would be better placed than we are right now.

Latest posts

Back