If Warburton stayed ..

To be honest aside from Jack and Dorrans all of them. The sensible option was McLean, Moult, Walker and Naismith. Which I posted on the old board several times (doesn’t mean I’m right just was my view). Morales looked okay but I’d still take Moult over him. Alves and Cardozo have not impressed me Alves maybe could work but that’s it as far as I’m concerned. So in short the decision to appoint him added to the cash he had to spend and his pay off was an utterly stupid move by the board one predicted by many.

It’s sad that the highlight of this season is PSG being 7-1 up again the scum. Is that what we have become?

Afraid I don't get that at all.

You'd have taken Warburton's side and added Jack, Dorrans, McLean, Moult, Walker and Naismith? So 2 left wingers in addition to McKay, 3 number 10s (counting Naismith twice), no natural right sided midfielder, and still starting with Kiernan and Wilson?

I'd agree that this squad would be stronger - you have a defensive mid and all your number 10s are better than Holt - but it would have a massive hole at the back.

Morelos vs Moult is a tough one. I think Morelos is a better player and there was no question in the first few weeks but you can't ignore what Moult has been doing since. I'd be happy to have Moult at Ibrox but think you need to give Alfredo a bit of time to rediscover form. Definitely unreasonably harsh to call him a failure.

Alves and Cardoso are a massive step up from Wilson and Kiernan, as is the promotion of McCrorie. They may not be Butcher and Gough but they are definite progress. It's also hard to deny that Candeias is a lot better than anyone we had out right under Warburton, including Waghorn who was poor in a wide role.

We remain a work in progress and are missing some key players. Most of those you suggest would be good additions. But none are spectacular upgrades on any position other than left wing where we did try to get one of your suggestions (albeit the one I think I have least faith would be successful.)

Also ironically Dorrans is one of Caixina's signings that I think hasn't worked out that well. His star was clearly waning hence his price and I think that we see that in his play. He is competent but not as good as we would hope apart from a couple of crucial goals. Again though, the logic behind the signing was clear.

Caixina clearly tried to build a solid spine to the side and add a bit of penetration to the playmaking. His signings met that philosophy though they have underperformed. Warburton told us he played 4,3,3 withattacking wing backs but never actually bought the players to play it. Slow defender with poor positional sense again and again in a formation that left them exposed. No defensive midfielder (or old slow ones). Strikers that couldn't cross playing on wings and picking the ball deep to try to run through 2 banks of 5 opponents. A play style calling out for a powerful central striker to bulldoze onto through balls but only ever buying wee guys. Buying a striker renowned for aerial prowess but still never playing crosses or lofted corners. Warburton's recruitment for his desired style of play was very very far from logical.

Still. 7-1 is frankly hilarious.

Last edited:
Afraid I don't get that at all.

You'd have taken Warburton's side and added Jack, Dorrans, McLean, Moult, Walker and Naismith? So 2 left wingers in addition to McKay, 3 number 10s (counting Naismith twice), no natural right sided midfielder, and still starting with Kiernan and Wilson?

I'd agree that this squad would be stronger - you have a defensive mid and all your number 10s are better than Holt - but it would have a massive hole at the back.

Morales vs Moult is a tough one. I think Morales is a better player and there was no question in the first few weeks but you can't ignore what Moult has been doing since. I'd be happy to have Moult at Ibrox but think you need to give Alfredo a bit of time to rediscover form. Definitely unreasonably harsh to call him a failure.

Alves and Cardoso are a massive step up from Wilson and Kiernan, as is the promotion of McCrorie. They may not be Butcher and Gough but they are definite progress. It's also hard to deny that Candeias is a lot better than anyone we had out right under Warburton, including Waghorn who was poor in a wide role.

We remain a work in progress and are missing some key players. Most of those you suggest would be good additions. But none are spectacular upgrades on any position other than left wing where we did try to get one of your suggestions (albeit the one I think I have least faith would be successful.)

Also ironically Dorrans is one of Caixina's signings that I think hasn't worked out that well. His star was clearly waning hence his price and I think that we see that in his play. He is competent but not as good as we would hope apart from a couple of crucial goals. Again though, the logic behind the signing was clear.

Caixina clearly tried to build a solid spine to the side and add a bit of penetration to the playmaking. His signings met that philosophy though they have underperformed. Warburton told us he played 4,3,3 withattacking wing backs but never actually bought the players to play it. Slow defender with poor positional sense again and again in a formation that left them exposed. No defensive midfielder (or old slow ones). Strikers that couldn't cross playing on wings and picking the ball deep to try to run through 2 banks of 5 opponents. A play style calling out for a powerful central striker to bulldoze onto through balls but only ever buying wee guys. Buying a striker renowned for aerial prowess but still never playing crosses or lofted corners. Warburton's recruitment for his desired style of play was very very far from logical.

Still. 7-1 is frankly hilarious.

Sorry should have said off course I’d have punted most of his signings but it feels to me like we’ve replaced dross with dross.

Between Warburton and Caixinha we have had some howling signings. I am inclined to think Warburton would have made more of the money that was given to Pedro, but he still had a balls up in him.

Senderos
Rossiter
Barton
Kranjcar
Garner

Comparing the two squads, it just dawned on me that we sent O'Halloran and Dodoo out on loan and signed Dalcio and Nemane on loan! Absolute madness what was allowed to go on at our football club this summer.

That’s not cheap for a striker who doesn’t score goals. (And I mean that for both players)

Neither are very good to be honest but if I had a choice Garner would get the nod as he offers something in an aerial battle and could provide a plan B option. From what we’ve seen in rangers jersey, Herrera brings nothing to the party imo.

Personally I'd pick Herrera as, from the little I've seen, he has more about his play and I'd argue he's actually a better finisher. Though that's far from saying he's great. Hard to argue strongly for either one.

I think the view of Herrera as a tank and aerial powerhouse is clearly wrong. He looks a more technical player to me who is better with ball at feet and often makes intelligent passes. He is fairly strong and ok at hold up play but needs others to play off. I wish we got to see more of him playing with Morelos.

Hard to say to be honest. He wouldn't change things so we would still be losing stupid goals at the back.

I like a few of the signings made by Pedro etc so I'd say it would be worse.

Sorry should have said off course I’d have punted most of his signings but it feels to me like we’ve replaced dross with dross.

I'm still not following. None of 'your' signings would have improved us defensively at all. And, combined, they'd likely cost around £4mill. They'd probably have been a better spend than Pena and Herrera but that's easier to assess with the retrospectoscope. And I'd suspect that at most only 2 of your 4 would start any game, partially because they compete with each other for places. Which doesn't seem ideal.

I'm not arguing that Caixina's signings were great. But I suspect a better manager can show them to be better than they have looked up till now. And they certainly at least made sense in terms of what sort of side he was trying to build which was the point you were making. It's not crazy to buy players that fit a side, even if you don't achieve what you wanted with them. Warburton in contrast played a system that didn't suit his players and then kept on buying players that didn't suit the system or failing to buy players to address the obvious deficiencies. It's hard to see how you think that made sense.

Last edited:
Lets not ignore the fact that anyone with high hopes for the last 2 years was directly encouraged by the board and 'going for 55'

Going for 55 was a positive way to sell season tickets but I can't believe that most fans would have believed that it would actually happen considering that we still had all of the team from the season before who were underwhelming at best.

Most, if not all, fans always have high hopes otherwise why would we bother season after season

As a matter of interest how would you have marketed the season tickets?...Let's go for a solid 2nd?

I'm still not following. None of 'your' signings would have improved us defensively at all. And, combined, they'd likely cost around £4mill. They'd probably have been a better spend than Pena and Herrera but that's easier to assess with the retrospectoscope. And I'd suspect that at most only 2 of your 4 would start any game, partially because they compete with each other for places. Which doesn't seem ideal.

I'm not arguing that Caixina's signings were great. But I suspect a better manager can show them to be better than they have looked up till now. And they certainly at least made sense in terms of what sort of side he was trying to build which was the point you were making. It's not crazy to buy players that fit a side, even if you don't achieve what you wanted with them. Warburton in contrast played a system that didn't suit his players and then kept on buying players that didn't suit the system or failing to buy players to address the obvious deficiencies. It's hard to see how you think that made sense.

I listed whom I’d have signed clearly I’d have signed two centre backs. Alves maybe plus one other. The money spent on the Mexican two is wasted we will not ever get it back.

£8m buys you a decent enough player in the English Championship.

Anybody who thought we were going to build an entire team to challenge Celtic on £8m was living on cloud cuckoo land.

Pedro spent well in the Summer but we will still need to spend another £20m if we are to compete with them.

Come on, if you believe Pedro spent well in the summer and spending close to 3 million for Carlos Pena is spending well then you're living on cloud cuckoo land.

Personally I'd pick Herrera as, from the little I've seen, he has more about his play and I'd argue he's actually a better finisher. Though that's far from saying he's great. Hard to argue strongly for either one.

I think the view of Herrera as a tank and aerial powerhouse is clearly wrong. He looks a more technical player to me who is better with ball at feet and often makes intelligent passes. He is fairly strong and ok at hold up play but needs others to play off. I wish we got to see more of him playing with Morelos.

Ofcourse we’d all like to see more of Herrera but he’s offered nothing at all from the game time that he has played.

Maybe that’s why he’s not getting much game time.

Back