If we’ve ‘fixed’ Wright, can the same be done for Sakala?

If we’re saying Wright has been ‘fixed’ then I’m not sure by comparison how Sakala can be ‘broken’, given he has more goals and assists in broadly similar minutes this season ?

Both are squad players going forward, we need better in the starting XI but for me Sakala if he didn’t have Kent ahead of him in what is his best position would have ensured there wasn’t a debate between him and Wright - he is much better at having an end product, despite Wright’s purple patch April into May.

I hope both improve for next season and Wright can continue to be an important contributor as he has been the past month, but if I was backing one of them to be sitting here this time next year as having helped us through the season by contributing a lot it would be Fashion without hesitation.

Sakala frankly doesn't have a football brain. You watch him on the park and he's not facing the right way, or making intelligent runs off the ball to work himself space. He's so reactive and it feels a bit like raw talent I.e. his pace and a lot of luck got him goals in Belgium.

Don't think he can develop a football IQ quickly enough to be a success here. Good luck to him and a useful fringe player potentially.

11 goals from Sakala in his debut seasons a decent return. There's no doubt there's room for improvement but certainly plenty to work with for the management team

Would have said the same about Lundstrum 2 or 3 months into the season, now he's a first pick.

Wright has had 18mths and sakala a full season.

Not quite the same, is it?

I’m not saying they won’t contribute, far from it. But I wouldn’t like these two players to be the succession plan for Kent, Aribo and/or Morelos.

Wright is extremely frustrating something there but he’s been here long enough to know you have to do it week in week out.

Fashion is not good enough imo

Wright is far from fixed.

He's only sprained now but not fixed.

I love Sakala's attitude and his pace but I'm not sure he's trainable in his finishing or decision-making. I could be wrong but I've not seen any development in his game across this season.

Sakala has massive potential for us. He’s been here one season. Still so many with the attitude that if players aren’t good enough straight away they won’t develop. Look at Bassey when he first came through and what he is now. Look what happened to Barisic, it took him a calendar year to come good. It’s not the 90’s anymore we’re not getting rid of players with potential if they don’t hit the ground running. Sakala will be a very important player for us this time next season.

No but I believe they will get better and be a big partof our squad

As do I.

As per my OP…. They are squad players who will play a big part when we get injuries, suspensions or want to “use the squad” (ie rest players)

But none of them are “fixed” and neither will be mainstays the way Morelos/Kent are.

Both are decent squad players, every squad needs them and I can't ever really see either being first picks every week if options are available to the manager. As I say, no harm to either and both will play their part as we saw last season with 65 games!

50 apps this season, of course a lot of sub cameos with 12 goals, 7 assists and as a squad player, It's not so bad for his first season. He'll be more than useful next season.

Sakala’s return in goals and assists is decent though, where’s he broken?

I feel that people have an idea in their minds of Sakala and it simply won’t change, it’s very odd.
Brought in on a free transfer, playing in a new league, in and out the team! 11 goals, 7 assists (i think) more than a decent return for his debut season.

Plenty for the coaching staff to work with, convinced he'll prove to be an excellent signing for us

Wright has had 18mths and sakala a full season.

Not quite the same, is it?

I’m not saying they won’t contribute, far from it. But I wouldn’t like these two players to be the succession plan for Kent, Aribo and/or Morelos.

Wright and Lundstram came from a few hours up/down the road respectively.

Fashion Sakala has come from a foreign league, via his homeland even further afield and a world away in terms of football. He's clearly adapting, as a strong finish to the season shows. I hope this makes him want to come back for preseason bursting to remain involved.

Early days obviously, but it seems that Wright is turning a corner, and the assumption is that this is due to effective coaching. Given Sakala suffers from many of the issues Wright did (poor first touch, no final product), is there a redemption arc for Sakala? Like Wright, he clearly has the pace; can he be developed in areas relating to touch etc?
Rangers of the Lost Arc

Sakala rarely actually resolves the tactical purpose he is put on the park to serve.

He has been frankly awful as the forward used to help us break on the counter, he doesn't link and bring others into the game well when playing up front, he isn't logical in his play when playing as a winger either IMO.

I would like us to sign forward and wide options who would be used before him.

Wright has a slightly better upside in that he meets home grown criteria
That's not even close to being true.

He's nowhere near as bad as many make out. He needs to settle into the team.
He's an asset and he causes teams problems when he plays.

That cup we all jumped about and rejoiced in winning at the weekend...
Sakala helped us get to that final.

Wright for me can become a Novo style super sub. He normally makes an impact when he comes on but when he does eventually get a start or run of games we see his limitations. There’s nothing wrong with being a super sub if that’s what his role is to be. Sakala is in a similar position.

Sakala actually has a very good 1st touch most of the time, he's brought the ball down well on multiple occasions (obviously it's just easier to sling the "he's raw so his 1st touch must be bad" stereotype). It seems to be when he's got the ball he does the more rash stuff & we'll never fully eradicate it. However, if he's given a chance at LW, he will hopefully continue his excellent goals 2 game ratio, which I would take everyday of the week.

Every team needs squad players like Sakala and wright. Would be silly so suggest we can have 16/17 players who are all good enough to start and keep them all happy

That's not even close to being true.

He's nowhere near as bad as many make out. He needs to settle into the team.
He's an asset and he causes teams problems when he plays.

That cup we all jumped about and rejoiced in winning at the weekend...
Sakala helped us get to that final.

His role is unlikely to change, or become more than it currently is, he will never be a starter to settle into the team any more than he currently is.

Itten and Ramsay helped us get to a Cup Final as well, it isn't reason enough to then just give them a pass.

I can see the signs of a gem of a player in Wright.

He takes the ball with his back to goal in midfield, and often turns and runs at the opposition. He also tries little four or five yard passes through a packed defence. Against Hearts a couple of these were excellent. He was also one of the better players on show in a Euro final.

He has pace, is technically very good, he has vision and he can finish. He has a good attitude as well.

I am not saying he is a first team regular right now, He still has to get consistency into his game. If he improves at the rate he has shown recently, we could have a top player on our hands.

Wright has 7 goals in 49 appearances for Rangers. One in seven. He simply isn’t good enough to be a regular starter.

The wide player in our formation really must chip in with considerably more goals next season or we will struggle to win the league. We need wide players that can deliver something like 1 in 3 or 1 in 4.

The recent improvement in Sakala has been greater than that of Wright.

Both good options but the standards we should be setting for our starting eleven should mean both are no more than squad players.

BTW for those slaughtering Sakala's finishing...if Kent had his finishing he'd be a £20m player. Kent's finishing is infinitely worse than Sakala's.

Sakala is always going to be the type of player who is brilliant one game and then can’t trap a ball the next. Not sure how that can be fixed but there is a diamond in there I think.

Scott Wright is a very talented player.. Technically very good. His balance and ability to take the ball in was and to a degree still is an issue needing improvement.

What I've noticed with Wright these past few games is that he's playing more inside as opposed to the winger we've become accustomed to seeing. The deft touches he's shown has really helped to knit the play together in forward areas. He is also willing to get into position to try and help keep the defensive shape.

The run from our box to help support the breakaway by Kent and then the absolute belter of a finish, hints at serious improvement in his game, so hopefully he continues on this improvement path, as he will definitely have a telling part to play in next seasons squad.

Sakala is still needing to make some refinements to his game in order to become a more polished player. Hopefully, with a good preseason under Gio we will see improvements in his all round game as he clearly has the raw ability to make his mark on the sqaud next season.

BTW for those slaughtering Sakala's finishing...if Kent had his finishing he'd be a £20m player. Kent's finishing is infinitely worse than Sakala's.

really need to stop making mention of them together TBH

One of them was just named in a European team of the year, the absolute levels between them.

Not convinced Sakala is all that broken but of course he can improve. Scored some very important but also some very good goals. Has given some good players a torrid time.

Doesn't really help when he doesn't seem to have a fixed position within the team but he is a good squad player.

I don't mind Sakala at all, I think there is scope for a lot of improvement positionally and with his link up etc

However, at the moment one of his best qualities is that he has no idea where he is dribbling the ball and therefore the opposition won't know either

Sakala is a squad player and his numbers are actually really good ,we have been critical of the numbers Kent has put up , but Sakala gets unfair criticism despite his numbers . Bizarre

Wright’s a squad player for when we get fücked with injuries. So is sakala.

We need new players who’ll come straight into the first 11.
Yes m8 100%, we need a standard of player who'll do it at a higher level than Hearts, Motherwell etc, obviously we've been restricted financially in recent years but hopefully we can go beyond the Scottish player level now, bringing in players who'll regularly do it in Europe for us.

Early days obviously, but it seems that Wright is turning a corner, and the assumption is that this is due to effective coaching. Given Sakala suffers from many of the issues Wright did (poor first touch, no final product), is there a redemption arc for Sakala? Like Wright, he clearly has the pace; can he be developed in areas relating to touch etc?

Wright would’ve been nowhere near the team had Hagi, Roofe, Morelos been fully fit.

Even when he was given a chance he more often than not didn’t provide anything to suggest he has been fixed.

He’s since contributed a few goals but far too early to say he’s been fixed to any great degree.

Sakala isn’t getting any better than he already is.

Have we fixed wright? I think he’s had a couple of very decent showings, it’s probably more about confidence than anything. If there’s one thing I’d love Makaay to do though it’s teach Sakala how to lift his head, take a deep breath and pick his spot, as opposed to just lashing the ball at goal as hard as he can.
Its how he crosses as well, hit it hard and see!
Just gives me the fear.

EL final, Roofe threatened their backline more in 4 minutes than Sakala in 45.
He has pace to burn and a 38 year old defender, and he comes short - with woefully bad first touches, putting the goal under threat.

He is just a level off of what we need, along with others in the team.

Back