If we could pull ourself together, what should we do?

Papasmurf

Official Ticketer
As above. To start turning the tide, what could or should we do?

I’m thinking purely as a fan base

We need people with a platform,also my guess would be club1872 and UB take the lead. This is not the answer to what we should do but any options discussed both need to be involved and onboard

The mhedia don't fear Rangers fans, mate. They know they can write any nonsense they like about us or our club. When the mhedia can believe a liar like Clarke pretending he never heard the bigots belting out sectarian abuse to his captain at Rugby Park, the game is up. As for " boxing clever" or any other platitudes, we had these threads about 10 years ago on here. The mhedia just make stuff up anyway. Remember the horseshit that we were singing a song about hanging Neil Lemmon ? That mhob are filming kids singing that the Rangers kitman is an Orange bassa, and the great and the good say nothing.

Last edited:
Employ a PR person to run a focus group who monitors anti-Protestant behaviour in Scotland . A serious outfit not some fly by night . The disparity seen this week beggars belief .

We also need a proper PR/comms group within the club . We are so bad it beggars belief at engaging and protecting our brand name . Another hammering this week .

We also , and I don’t care what anybody says , get rid once and for all of any chants/songs about 19th Century Terrorists , bobby sands , the IRA and the pope . I’m talkin blanket ban / season ticket removal . I don’t care if I’m not popular by saying it but that’s what we need to do .

I’m not ahand wringer or appeaser but let’s be honest these songs are cringe anyway they add nothing and make us look fcking ridiculous . There are many other great songs chants we have and also ways of getting to the Yahoos just as much .

A supporter led group with a mandate to stop sectarianism. Completely unaffiliated to the club itself, self policing and with a credible voice/spokesperson/ambassador.

Work towards genuine change within the support will only happen when the playing field is levelled and someone prepared to say it, as often as it takes, and from a morally secure position is probably the only way we will see that happen. We need to work on our own behaviours, absolutely, and while I have no issue at all with the sentiments behind the songs (who can have an issue with hating the enemies of our nation?), they damage the club and would be better left away from it on matchdays but we are far from being the bad guys in it all and we need to start pushing that fact. Prove to the world we want to make change but back it up forcefully by saying we cannot do it in the face of bigotry and hatred, and that we need help to achieve it, from all parties involved, but more than it all, from the media.

There's a pretty simple solution. Stop singing songs that contain the words 19th Century Terrorist and pope - it's that simple. We know that even if we did this, we'd still be attacked, but then we could at least be on the front foot in retaliation. As it stands, while they have this over us we will never win the PR war. %^*& what they do, let's concentrate on us.

I'm no handwringer either, and I'm not going to get offended by any words someone uses at a football match, or anywhere else for that matter. Box clever. Fight smarter.

"Decapitation" technique for the top tier executives at the SFA, SPFL and subsidiary offices. One by one, single them out and make their heads roll.

Search for conflicts of interest; payments, job offers, executive roles at companies controlled by other SPL clubs. Move to disqualify any "independent" board member with financial ties to any SPL club and/or the majority or minority owners of SPFL clubs.

Introduction of technological aspects to remove human element from review boards and eliminate the defunct role of the compliance officer after the rollout of VAR.

The Scum have their Jaun Ghuy, we need a Fall Guy, some guy that can take the blame for every shit that happens.

If you are talking from a PR perspective,firstly we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and secondly we need a credible spokesperson to speak out when the media and the other usual suspects come out with their crap.
I don't know the chap personally but I always thought Chris Graham spoke well and is capable of handling the media.

If you are talking from a PR perspective,firstly we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot and secondly we need a credible spokesperson to speak out when the media and the other usual suspects come out with their crap.
I don't know the chap personally but I always thought Chris Graham spoke well and is capable of handling the media.

Chris Graham for me ticks the box

Last edited:
The Rangers Supporters Against Sectarianism Pressure Group.

With potentially 200,000 members the Rangers SAS would have a more powerful voice than the club and C1872.

We can do it. We have the ability, if we could just shake off this mortally wounding malaise of inertia we are mired in.

Our Greatest Weapon feared most by Our Enemies is Our Loyalty.

I don't think the situation will change in my lifetime.

That is how bad this is and where we are at.

The mentally challengeds have cornered the mhedia, the football authorities and much of the political set up. That's not changing any time soon.

They have us exactly where they want us and they know that we are coming from a position of weakness.

We do the work. We all spend less time on here taking to each other and letting off steam and instead put together reasoned, individual complaints calling out the lies and double standards in reporting.

At the moment, we only do it sporadically and in dribs and drabs. We’re hated so much up here the press won’t just revert to fairness. We’ll only get where we want by mass complaints taken all the way.

I don’t think it’s sectarian. Ok for some maybe but those hardcore minority they hate all tims, have no Tim mates, no relatives that are papes and would rather be seen with a dildo up their arse than wear anything remotely green. For them I’m sure the Stevie Clarke/ Neil Lennon/ Tommy Burns sleepy gene song is a permanent soundtrack but for most inside Ibrox it’s not really anti catholic it’s anti Glasgow Celtic.

It’s a get it right fucking up you to our rivals. Heck how many of those 38k in Ibrox last Wednesday have tim relatives, are married to tims and have pals that kick with the other foot?

It all really doesn’t stand up to close scrutiny. It’s more playground rivalry and a rallying call against the opposition.

It’s hard for some people not brought up in the acerbic white heat of Glasgow to truly get this nuanced position. Least of all an emotional alky that’s not lived here for years.

I would like us to stop with this shite now and stop fuelling the BBC’s faux outrage. We are fighting city hall these days the world views this childish banter as hatred. Make no mistake they still want us dead.

Let’s knock this old old songbook on the head or at least save it for games against the forces of darkness.

Clarke and Killie are really not worth the hassle. They are irrelevant.

Demand our club grow a set. Why in God’s name it’s our fight is beyond me. I’ve no appetite for anything when our shithouse PR allows king to be an apology on the main news. THE MAIN NEWS. OP deserves a lifetime service award for the extraction of them on derby day. But my god the board has this nonsense at its door. They have been beyond awful.

All start pushing in the same direction for starters , we have enough fan power to change things but need to be as one, if we all boycotted anything that sponsors our opponents then it would make people listen. Money is the one thing that changes minds so starve others from our cash.

Although it's difficult to believe right now, the tide is turning.

46,000 season ticket holders,Rangers hold virtually every attendance record in Scotland.

Never once have i been feart of the SFA or the Scottish football hierarchy in general,the most frustrating thing is sitting in this country and watching it hate itsself to death,i can't remember the last time i went to watch a Scottish international for example.

So back to your question OP - What can we do ?

Nothing,we don't have to.

Employ a PR person to run a focus group who monitors anti-Protestant behaviour in Scotland . A serious outfit not some fly by night . The disparity seen this week beggars belief .

We also need a proper PR/comms group within the club . We are so bad it beggars belief at engaging and protecting our brand name . Another hammering this week .

We also , and I don’t care what anybody says , get rid once and for all of any chants/songs about 19th Century Terrorists , bobby sands , the IRA and the pope . I’m talkin blanket ban / season ticket removal . I don’t care if I’m not popular by saying it but that’s what we need to do .

I’m not ahand wringer or appeaser but let’s be honest these songs are cringe anyway they add nothing and make us look fcking ridiculous . There are many other great songs chants we have and also ways of getting to the Yahoos just as much .

Excellent post. A good starting point would be to employ someone to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. We need to prove they are treating us differently.

We do the work. We all spend less time on here taking to each other and letting off steam and instead put together reasoned, individual complaints calling out the lies and double standards in reporting.

At the moment, we only do it sporadically and in dribs and drabs. We’re hated so much up here the press won’t just revert to fairness. We’ll only get where we want by mass complaints taken all the way.

Nice idea but totally impractical. Not enough fans will do it and those that do will soon realise that their efforts are futile.

One thing is for sure - the policy of appeasement does not work.

Whatever we do (in terms of trying to please our haters) will never be enough, so we need to stop apologising, and take them head on, exposing their bigotry and double standards at every opportunity.

Only once a level playing field has been established - and we are a million miles away from that right now - can we start, with any real authority, to get the more militant elements of our own support to behave better.

Right now, we are being attacked from all angles, and this will only increase as we continue to roll over.

Chris spoke well but I doubt he’d put his head above the parapet to be ripped apart by supposed Rangers fans and I doubt the right type of people will be queueing to do it.

Nice idea but totally impractical. Not enough fans will do it and those that do will soon realise that their efforts are futile.
You keep shooting down this idea that we need to complain.
How do you think the mentally challengeds got the situation to what we have today?
That's right. They got organised en masse and complained about every-fùcking-thing.

Complaining in numbers will work, but it needs perseverance.
The biggest barrier right now is our own apathy.

One thing is for sure - the policy of appeasement does not work.

Whatever we do (in terms of trying to please our haters) will never be enough, so we need to stop apologising, and take them head on, exposing their bigotry and double standards at every opportunity.

Only once a level playing field has been established - and we are a million miles away from that right now - can we start, with any real authority, to get the more militant elements of our own support to behave better.

Right now, we are being attacked from all angles, and this will only increase as we continue to roll over.
Piggery next month.
We need our manager complaining about the gauntlet of hate, the terrorist support and bigotry from the stands and no doubt the missiles that will be aimed at our players when we have a corner.

We keep banging on about the world football star we have who'll make people sit up and take notice when he talks.

Don't give the media a chance to set the narrative, give it both barrels as soon as the game finishes and do it regardless of the result.

You keep shooting down this idea that we need to complain.
How do you think the mentally challengeds got the situation to what we have today?
That's right. They got organised en masse and complained about every-fùcking-thing.

Complaining in numbers will work, but it needs perseverance.
The biggest barrier right now is our own apathy.

You live in a fantasy world if you think we could change things by simply writing letters and e mails.

Celtic didnt do this. They got powerful people on board and infiltrated organisations and institutions. People like Prof Tom Devine for example. They showed leadership.

We need leadership from inside Ibrox and the way to motivate people is to demonstrate that we are being lied about.

Ive written letters and complained on numerous occasions. I even have a letter from NBM confirming that Joe O'Rourke made a sectarian comment about Protestant shipbuilders dying on the Titanic. What difference did that make?

I also wrote to Rangers years ago and was invited to meet with Sandy Jardine inside Ibrox. I knew after this meeting that nothing was going to change.

Rangers need to start taking action now although I fear they've left it too late.

The same Chris Graham that was sacked as a director after less than a week in the job?

Get real FFS

fans/fan groups/clubs/sfa/nbm/media all need to have representatives to sit down and discuss how to best bring this nonsense to an end, every fan-base at every club is guilty of sectarianism in one form or another, shit like this is killing football also i feel focusing on individual incidents will not help move this issue forward, so that it may become a non-issue in the future. I also think self-policing is going to be a massive part of it, supporters of their respective clubs will need to be vigilant going forward, because you can be sure as shit there will elements that will still shout "free speech ill sing what the %^*& i want" - to an extent id agree but some will find it difficult to differentiate between the religious and violence references (that are massive part of the problem) and signing perfectly normal tunes which there is an abundance. Personally i don't care what people call/sing about me for being a rangers fan, but this issue is much much bigger than the individual now and if it helps people enjoy our game more then im all for it.

Another thing. No banners , no songs about Clarke. Nada.
He is officially a victim.
Anything aimed at him will be looked upon like how we view Celtic fans' ongoing treatment of Shay Logan except there will be a lot more comment on it from the media.

Imagine if you could get 200,000 plus Bears marching on BBC head office in London demanding parity on their reporting in the backwater of Scotland.
It would bring attention to the whole country the level of mess and misreporting that is going on.

ban the scottish media from Ibrox untill they can print the truth about all sectarian abuse that comes from the away corner and grounds towards our manager/team and support and use the word Celtc and not football fan when reporting scum in court.

Ban them till they can report on bigoted SNP members who attend parkhead yet have nothing to say about the bigotry in the stands.

Excellent post. A good starting point would be to employ someone to gather evidence of the bias, double standards and lies. We need to prove they are treating us differently.
no one will take us seriously whilst ,,the ftp, the 19th Century Terrorist bastard ,the songs about paramilitaries and the other crass stuff that at times makes an appearance, we would only have a chance if this was to stop completely and be stopped for a long time,, otherwise its all too easy for those who hate to go on pointing the finger at us, even after that we would need someone out there pushing our case that we have indeed cleaned up our song book otherwise it would just be ignored,, as has been mentioned we also need to highlight any slight put upon us and other teams blatant sectarianism when it regularly occurs,,keep our songs for the pubs or clubs, i personally am not averse to a great deal of loyalist/uvf songs being sung,but at Ibrox it only gives an opportunity to beat us with ,(and i know some of the uvf stuff is about the original uvf from 1912) but others will not differentiate between the original and the modern day ,,we really need to be much cuter with our actions,, its a disgrace that this is where we are at this present time,,but sadly that is where we find ourselves due to our own apathy and laziness,and basically we as a community not giving a f@ck whilst the real bigots got themselves organised

Imagine if you could get 200,000 plus Bears marching on BBC head office in London demanding parity on their reporting in the backwater of Scotland.
It would bring attention to the whole country the level of mess and misreporting that is going on.
Imagine marching on George square demanding the Elephant in the room that is state funded roman catholic schools that demands a sectarian employment policy that stops Non Rc being employed and where there is few that are they are stopped from being promoted in a place of work that they pay taxes for must stop.

If we had state funded protestant schools stopping Roman Catholics we all know the same bigots that are offended at Ibrox and Rangers FC would be demanding change and running a full media hate campaign

Stop buying their rhag newspapers for a start.... it baffles me the amount of Rangers fans that still buy a copy of the Rhetard or Scum.

I don't see how being in favour of the elimination of songs known to attract the attention of the media and demanding that the club grows a backbone are mutually exclusive. They go hand in hand.

The club has to work with supporters to stop chants like 'cheer up ... '. Whatever anyone on this forum says, '19th Century Terrorist' is used by the Rangers-hating Scottish politics/media/legal establishment to 'prove' that the support is bigoted. The club hasn't taken sufficient action over this.

On the other hand, we also have to recognise that no football club in the world faces such hostility within its own country. Rangers ticks all the wrong boxes in post-devolution Scotland - it has become a very convenient bogeyman.

The print press is on its last legs - thankfully. However, mainstream TV is still very powerful. Nevertheless, we have seen how alternative media can radically shift opinion in the face of fierce establishment propaganda - see, for example, the rise of the right (and left) in Europe, Brexit and Trump. In my view, Rangers should be building a siege mentality by radically improving all forms of digital communication.

It should not be afraid to become overtly political. The fanzone issue could and should have been used to highlight the anti-Rangers agenda of the SNP but it was allowed to fizzle out. The 'cheer up ...' chants directed at Steven Gerrard and other figures connected to Rangers should have been mentioned at the time - this would have put us in a much stronger position now.

Currently, the club is completely out to lunch when it comes to politics and media coverage. Dave King's unnecessary statement is a case in point. We need a powerful chief executive figure in charge and a section dedicated to countering the propaganda onslaught.

There is no quick fix. We are up against a movement that has been at work for over 20 years now. Murray and his cohorts in the early days should have done more to prevent it but were ignorant and probably didn't care enough. It leaves our current custodians with a very difficult situation.

Of course we must stop the type of situation as occurred with Clarke this week. It's now unacceptable and will only serve to harm the image of the club. However, this is one incident in a bigger picture. Our fans could sit in silence at Hamilton on Sunday, but I guarantee if Rangers win (let's hope we find out) it will be met with some form of controversy. Whether this be a referee's decision, the actions of a player or the colour of someone's boots.

Our reaction to these constant attacks does not help us. As a club we appear vulnerable, apologetic and uncoordinated in response to these situations. This can only leave us open to further abuse. To be honest, Steven Gerrard has probably demonstrated the ability to defend us more than most in the last 10 years.

7 years ago our enemies tried to kill us off with a daily barrage of threats, lies and punishments. Since the turn of this year, and we all know our last result at this point, it is beginning to feel like round 2.

The fight should start from the top of our Club
Dave King and Steven Gerrard should do a press conference on Sky TV to the whole of Great Britain to see and let them all know we will not put up with these double standards any longer and bring it to everyone’s attention forget STV the record and the sun

The only way to beat it is to educate our children and to push them into careers where they can influence such as politics/media etc.

Anything else we do is a waste of time as the media is ran by them and we will never get fair reporting.

Ironically one of our biggest issues is we have free will and do as we please, whilst to a being that lot all tow the party line.

We need people with a platform,also my guess would be club1872 and UB take the lead. This is not the answer to what we should do but any options discussed both need to be involved and onboard
I think the UBs let us down badly at the Kilmarnock game their brief chant has been a massive own goal and deflected all the focus from the scum to us This is where we as a support really shoot ourselves in the foot we really need to be smarter and use our behaviour as a support as an example and highlight the scums shortcomings sectarian and otherwise !

The club are far too removed from the reality of the situation regarding football in Glasgow imo.
We need to push back on every allegation with a counter. We need to publicly highlight these at every opportunity.

Everyone's else's fault........

Club should employee a specific security team with cameras on the crowd, starting with the UB and anyone caught singing add ons are frog matched out and season ticket blocked for 3 games and continue to do that until the message is clear.

Embarrassing, moronic songs are not welcome at our club.

That's a start.

Back