If We Don’t Shoot, We Only Have Three Ways To Score

Twosignals

We have to face it, Free Kicks, Corners or Penalties, due to our insistence to play tippy tappy football, against Teams that park the bus. When teams open up we tend to shoot, so we’ll have to concentrate on various formations in training on the above. I can’t get my head round, and I have said this repeatedly before, Stevie G had one of the best techniques in football for shooting from distance. This should be getting installed into our players, for a long hard Season ahead. Yes today’s game I definitely do agree with other posters we would have dropped points before, so good on us, but please, please, shoot First Time, and try to eliminate the extra touches, giving teams extra time to defend.

Jack could of had a hat trick if he could shoot either side of the keeper.
Hopefully it’s just a warm up for the next 2 games.

Tbf u can’t really ‘teach’ that. Stevie G’s long distance shooting probably wasn’t coached into him over a season or two. It will most likely have been an childhood and early career he always had an aptitude for it and it was merely refined

Last season would have seen today and killie taking 2 points a piece off us. We come out of both games with 6 in the bag and a bit of a run developing. Whether it is a last minute header from a corner, a belter of a free kick or the most sublime of team goals makes absolutely no difference at all.

We have developed a resilience that was not previously evidenced and we have learned how to turn draws into wins. If those wins come from any source at all, I really do not care.

Every single weekend requires a Monday morning looking at 3 points. We are currently doing that. How it happens means little today and will mean even less when we look back at the history books.

We need to remember that today we were playing against a team who play every man behind the ball. At points when we were attacking, their forward most player was just outside their 18 yard line.

They had 3 players going for every attacking ball at/near the penalty area.

As much as I’d love to see us winning by a bigger goal margin, it’s unfortunately often difficult to score against teams who set up to defend for 90 minutes.

Yet again it’s the issue of playing against 10 men behind the ball who just don’t want to attack
We seem to have a league where the majority of teams are happy to get beat 1-0 or prefer a 0-0 draw.

There is a distinct lack of ambition outwith us and them to actually try and win a game of football.

How do fans of the rest justify it to themselves?

3 points is always the most important stat.

But it is true, we hardly shoot and try and score the perfect goal with over passing. Goldson and Jack only had crack today because they ran out of options and were under pressure to get rid of the ball

We seem to have a league where the majority of teams are happy to get beat 1-0 or prefer a 0-0 draw.

There is a distinct lack of ambition outwith us and them to actually try and win a game of football.

How do fans of the rest justify it to themselves?
The justification is that us and Celtic outspend these teams by a significant magnitude and this is their best way of getting a result against us.

And they’re right.

They don’t play like that every week

I don’t think anyone in our team has the ability to match the Managers shooting prowess.
This.
You either have it or you don’t. Sure, probably all professionals have a worldly or even two in them but very few can do it on a regular basis like Jorge Albertz for example

The justification is that us and Celtic outspend these teams by a significant magnitude and this is their best way of getting a result against us.

And they’re right.

They don’t play like that every week
I genuinely don't watch them play each other so wasn't sure if that's the usual.

We created plenty today - out of the season u will get 4/5 of these type of games and it’s winning them that make u champions

Our manager was the sweetest striker of a ball in his generation. I''m puzzled as to why he's not encouraging his players to at least attempt to emulate him?

It's a worry with the Legia player saying we were predictable and now if I recall correctly Jim Goodwin saying he wasnt worried about cross balls as we dont have a presence in the box and everything comes down the middle! We need a Hateley type in there excellent in the air but equally as good with the ball at his feet so we can mix it up.

It's a worry with the Legia player saying we were predictable and now if I recall correctly Jim Goodwin saying he wasnt worried about cross balls as we dont have a presence in the box and everything comes down the middle! We need a Hateley type in there excellent in the air but equally as good with the ball at his feet so we can mix it up.

like maybe a kyle lafferty kinda player that kinda presence .......

Defoe had about 3 on him every time he got the ball. when we come up against this we should play both Defoe and Morelos.
I wonder if a 3 5 2 with Morelos and Defoe up front Tav and Borna as wing backs Edmundson as the central defender who can step up into midfield and ping the ball about with Jack Aribo and Davis in midfield. Surely with that many different paths to goal this would be effective against teams parking the bus.

I wonder if a 3 5 2 with Morelos and Defoe up front Tav and Borna as wing backs Edmundson as the central defender who can step up into midfield and ping the ball about with Jack Aribo and Davis in midfield. Surely with that many different paths to goal this would be effective against teams parking the bus.

Sadly Borna appears to have lost his desire to be an attacking full-back whilst he tries to rebuild his, seemingly, fragile confidence. Tav, on the other hand, plays more as a right-winger never mind a wing-back.

I watched Spurs play Newcastle today - it was very much like our game. Spurs had 80% possession and 17 attempts on goal. They lost 1-0. At least we won.

These sort of games come around every so often, particularly in the SPFL. They always have done. Killie was bad, today was grim from St Mirren - yet we won both. I prefer to see it as a good sign.

I’ve never been a fan of 3 at the back if I’m honest.

Sadly Borna appears to have lost his desire to be an attacking full-back whilst he tries to rebuild his, seemingly, fragile confidence. Tav, on the other hand, plays more as a right-winger never mind a wing-back.

I watched Spurs play Newcastle today - it was very much like our game. Spurs had 80% possession and 17 attempts on goal. They lost 1-0. At least we won.

These sort of games come around every so often, particularly in the SPFL. They always have done. Killie was bad, today was grim from St Mirren - yet we won both. I prefer to see it as a good sign.

I’ve never been a fan of 3 at the back if I’m honest.
I'm hoping today's free kick will spark a change in Bornas confidence. There is clearly a player there and some take longer to adjust to a new culture than others. Agree with 3 5 2 however I'm not sure how else we could get Morelos and Defoe up front without sacrificing our strength in midfield.

I'm hoping today's free kick will spark a change in Bornas confidence. There is clearly a player there and some take longer to adjust to a new culture than others. Agree with 3 5 2 however I'm not sure how else we could get Morelos and Defoe up front without sacrificing our strength in midfield.
He won't be playing Thursday and Sunday. He just won't get a run in the team ( not saying he should either) but can't see him getting a confidence building run in the team.

St Boo were the biggest example of anti football I have ever seen, I understand why they set up that way but it's hard to watch nonetheless.

You pish with the cock you have

Jack seems to be taking the shots on.

Places like that are a nightmare when bus is parked

It's important to start out the blocks on games like that an early goal changes everything and forces the opposition to come out early.

We have to face it, Free Kicks, Corners or Penalties, due to our insistence to play tippy tappy football, against Teams that park the bus. When teams open up we tend to shoot, so we’ll have to concentrate on various formations in training on the above. I can’t get my head round, and I have said this repeatedly before, Stevie G had one of the best techniques in football for shooting from distance. This should be getting installed into our players, for a long hard Season ahead. Yes today’s game I definitely do agree with other posters we would have dropped points before, so good on us, but please, please, shoot First Time, and try to eliminate the extra touches, giving teams extra time to defend.
We want to score the perfect goal.
Wanting to walk the ball into the net is our biggest downfall

Good advice , just shoot. I’m sure nobody else has ever thought of that.

Totally agree.
I was shouting at the TV "FUCKIN SHOOT" every time we got near their box

Just been talking to a mate about this, Jack has improved so much recently but if he’s able to push a little more and add a goal here and there to his game in the form of big screaming fucking shots he’d immediately become our most important player.

I don’t expect goals from him given his role, but a long shot expert is something we definitely require.

We are crying out for a midfielder who can shoot from outside the box.
We’ll get absolutely nowhere playing with both Jack and Kamara against teams who are camped in.

Defoe had about 3 on him every time he got the ball. when we come up against this we should play both Defoe and Morelos.

Said that in the match thread after 20 minutes. Bring Alfie on and sacrifice a defender. They showed zero intent so two up top would be beneficial.

15 shots on goal we had. 7 on target.

Yes bear in mind any scliffed, shots/pass backs are classed as shots. Still come back to me the most entertaining League, “Germany” they shoot from all distances and it’s not uncommon 25/30 yards.

Packed defence 10 men behind the ball not as easy as you seem to suggest having shots on goal. I’m sure Stevie G will have noted your comments though!

Back