If we get Kent signed is that us finished with incomings

Kent is superior to anything we currently have in the 'inside forward' positions.He can also play as a false nine should both Morelos and Defoe be injured.

Don't get me wrong the figures quoted in the 'loan to buy' option are an awful lot of money if at all true,but he could well be the difference in clinching 55.

Fwiw I think he will be should we get him.

Based on last season, I really can’t agree. He is better than anyone we have as a winger and by quite a considerable margin. All of our true wingers rely largely on pace to beat opponents which doesn’t always work as well against the mass defence we usually face as there is no space to run into. Kent has pace to burn but also has a degree of close control far above our other players (including Ojo from what we’ve seen) that lets him operate in tight areas.

He is not much better as an inside forward. Although he can play there very well as he did at the end of the year and his control and trickery are a huge weapon, his lack of end product become much more of an issue for an inside forward. Both our current first picks for the role - Arfield and Ojo - have already nearly equalled Kent’s numbers from last season. Now I do believe that Kent could push on with this with us and show considerable improvement. But we can’t just state that he has already proven it.

This is even more true of a false 9. If Morelos and Defoe are out and Kent is a false 9, where are the goals actually coming from? We do have potential for that this year from
Ojo, Arfield, Aribo and King but it would be a big gamble. I’d much rather someone with a proven record of scoring operating in the middle than Kent.

Nonetheless, the benefits he gives on wingplay and the statement it sends to our rivals both fully justify us getting him back.

Based on last season, I really can’t agree. He is better than anyone we have as a winger and by quite a considerable margin. All of our true wingers rely largely on pace to beat opponents which doesn’t always work as well against the mass defence we usually face as there is no space to run into. Kent has pace to burn but also has a degree of close control far above our other players (including Ojo from what we’ve seen) that lets him operate in tight areas.

He is not much better as an inside forward. Although he can play there very well as he did at the end of the year and his control and trickery are a huge weapon, his lack of end product become much more of an issue for an inside forward. Both our current first picks for the role - Arfield and Ojo - have already nearly equalled Kent’s numbers from last season. Now I do believe that Kent could push on with this with us and show considerable improvement. But we can’t just state that he has already proven it.

This is even more true of a false 9. If Morelos and Defoe are out and Kent is a false 9, where are the goals actually coming from? We do have potential for that this year from
Ojo, Arfield, Aribo and King but it would be a big gamble. I’d much rather someone with a proven record of scoring operating in the middle than Kent.

Nonetheless, the benefits he gives on wingplay and the statement it sends to our rivals both fully justify us getting him back.
I agree with your last part mate but I’m afraid the winger part is a bit of a moot point-

We haven’t played with wingers for a considerable amount of time whereby we’ve been the most successful. I don’t think that can be reasonably argued against.

Would love to see him back but it’s taking a bit of a risk.

We absolutely would have to win the league this season if we plan to shell out £6m next summer as that would pretty much be all of our summer budget in terms of transfer fees spent on one player without the chance of CL football.

Financially I can’t see Rangers even attempting this without getting to the Europa league group stages first.
Will be lucky to get one more season out of Alfie. If we sell him next summer I could see that covering the Kent transfer fee. If he signs. Or maybe payments will be in instalments

I agree with your last part mate but I’m afraid the winger part is a bit of a moot point-

We haven’t played with wingers for a considerable amount of time whereby we’ve been the most successful. I don’t think that can be reasonably argued against.

When Hastie, Jones or Barker have played, they’ve played as wingers. Even Ojo has played more like a winger than an inside forward at times.

I think Gerrard is looking to play with one player tasked to play like a winger and one tasked to be more direct on goal.

See the suggestions for Max Lowe, Barry Douglas etc. They are starting for their sides in a league where teams cannot replace outgoing players until January.

Forget them.

If we get a player from within England's top two tier's then it'll be because they are out the picture ie Andy King.

Would be happy with that! I think we also need another striker
This Konate guy's that's been linked?
£10m tho so doubt it.
Looking at it we should've took a punt on Shankland even to loan him out to strengthen the crap in this league against them.

I honestly feel right now like Kent would a be a luxury, a good one granted, whereas a left back is far more important.

Of course Kent would improve the squad but I also feel we’re reasonable in that position whereas left back could cost us the title.

Flanagan has his fans and we all know he does a good job in siege games but he’s also very susceptible in others. I like to think our target left back has been identified, Europa league and other departures dependent.

In a nutshell, do I believe we can win the title without Kent ? Yes. Do I believe win can with the title juggling around with Flanagan, Barisic and Halliday ? I’m on shakier ground there.

Back