If Butland was to go, any thoughts on a replacement?

We are obviously trying to implement a player trading model. We got him in a free

• Yes

Votes: 602 43.2%
  • No

Votes: 791 56.8%

• Total voters
Goalkeepers are the backbone of your team, especially when you have a good one. Butland is near irreplaceable for us

In my opinion the “trading model” doesn’t apply to goalkeepers. They can single handedly steal you games and win points.

If you sell Butland for £10m and spend say £3m on his replacement, what are the chances that he’ll be anywhere near as good? Very slim if you ask me.

Maybe it’s post season clarity but I feel he’s been sat on his arse or otherwise nowhere near for big goals this season against Celtic and in Europe.

We don’t lose 3-1 to Ross Country or concede almost a goal a game in the league with the superhuman keeper that some are portraying.

Last edited:
We couldn't turn a good offer for him. I appreciate how much he has done, arguably the key reason we stuck in the race but keeping him instead of investing with the money is akin to fixing your ceiling when your roof is fucked.

How things change, this could be the first time that Rangers have to sell a top keeper in my lifetime.

£10m shouldn't even be considered though, club record fee required.

we should try and get more, but realistically that would allow us to replace him with someone decent for 2-3 million and then use the rest for the outfield players we desperately need.

The reality is for the rebuild required we'll need to move on players and he has the greatest value.

But to give perspective on value, Craig Gordon left Hearts for £9m in 2007 and Forster left them for around £10m in 2014, all be it both in their mid twenties. Forster, until playing for them, was an absolute jobber of a goalkeeper being a reserve or loaned out.

I would consider Butland better, more experienced and to have a better pedigree than them both and although 31, has many years left and not a bad age for a goalkeeper.

Inflation alone would see £10m in 2014 being worth £14m now, and that's before considering the English Premiership has went crazy with Sky money in that period too.

So for me less than £15m would be underselling his worth, whether we can achieve nearer £20m, or more, as much as I'd like it, is debatable and remains to be seen.

Maybe it’s post season clarity but I feel he’s been sat on his arse or otherwise nowhere near for bog goals this season against Celtic and in Europe.

We don’t lose 3-1 to Ross Country or concede almost a goal a game in the league with the superhuman keeper that some are portraying.
Off the top of my head I can’t really remember specific goals but I also can’t remember him having any real “howlers”, maybe some you’d think he should have done better with but any goalie can fall victim to that.

Celtic’s 2 goals last week nothing he could do. The last game at Ibrox no chance with the first or second, 3rd was a “could have done better”. The Christmas fixture no complaints. Likewise with the opening OF of the season.

You can’t save everything. He’s been worth easily 10 points for us this season in my view.

Clement said during the week we have to change our trading model. I would sell reluctantly as we can't afford players running down their contracts. Alfie and Kent being prime examples.

I think probably yes, but actually I would suggest we do what he wants to do.

However, if we did accept it we should absolutely make sure that we replace him with a very good goalkeeper, it can make such a big difference.

Of course, my heart would love him to stay for years.

If we are serious about rebuild and sorting out our player trading model then we unfortunately have to accept it.

That fee should be enough to bring in 3 first team players, and goalie is also another position we should be looking to bring in a project goalie to make a profit.

Remember what happened when we held out for a bigger fee for Morelos.

A players value is only what the others clubs are willing to pay.

Butland is at peak value - we need to sell this summer if we are serious about a trading model.

Remember what happened when we held out for a bigger fee for Morelos.

A players value is only what the others clubs are willing to pay.

Butland is at peak value - we need to sell this summer if we are serious about a trading model.
Not sure the situations are remotely similar tbh although i get the point about maximizing the sell value
Butland shouldn't be going anywhere for less than 15m this summer and it's in a lot of people's interests that a move to the EPL happens

Unless SJB is adamant that he wants away, then £10M is just not enough - 15 starts negotiations.

IF SJB wants to go back down south then we may have to accept £10M but I wouldn't be happy at that price personally.

I voted no: not it because I’m ideologically opposed to selling him but in response to what the manager has said. Backing the manager is more complex than simply giving him a wad of cash to spend, it’s about supporting his decisions and implementing his strategy. If he says Butland is pivotal to his plans then he has to stay.

We must support Clement. The board must support Clement. If that means a plan B for transfer kitty, so be it.

People have actually voted for selling him for ten.

Are yous fucking nuts!?

Any good team is built from the back. Starting with the keeper. We literally would not get anybody even close to his ability within our budget.

20 mil gets you a conversation about it. Not a ha’penny less and that’s solely because that could fund an entire new squad.

Fucking sell for ten!? We got him on a free so we’ve just to give him away cheap to mega money English tourist trap clubs? Give yourselves a shake!

Player trading model isn't about having players to step up it's buy cheap then sell high

That's where they are streets ahead just now. They are still living off the Van Dijk sale and now Frimpong.

A lot of it depends on how the player do when they leave. We need Bassey to turn out to be a top player. You need it do develop a reputation. Look at Ajax
Of course you need to buy low and sell high, but you need to develop a pipeline of players over a number of years. With a player trading model you rarely just spot a player and sign him. That’s a bit hit and hope.

Some of those players will be first-team-ready, but most, like Frimpong for them and Bassey for us, they will take a year or so to nail down their place. So the player trading model does involve buying players to step up and replace the player in front of them on the conveyer belt - just like Ajax.

We have wasted years fucking about with no real transfer plan, no “model”, especially last summer when we got players who were “known” to Beale.

If it was just about buying low and selling high, anybody could do it. You need a pipeline ready to step up.

I totally agree that it helps when they do well after they leave.

Not sure the situations are remotely similar tbh although i get the point about maximizing the sell value
Butland shouldn't be going anywhere for less than 15m this summer and it's in a lot of people's interests that a move to the EPL happens
We said we should be getting north of £20m when Lille bid £16m for Morelos. Look at hiw that turned out.

You just don't know how a players' form can change. You could get £20m, or nothing.

We said we should be getting north of £20m when Lille bid £16m for Morelos. Look at hiw that turned out.

You just don't know how a players' form can change. You could get £20m, or nothing.
Butland has a status for EPL clubs that Morelos didn't. Butland is an English internationalist and on the brink of a call up to the Euros ( probably 4th choice atm). Butland doesn't have a reputation down south for being a hothead verging on liability.

None of the above ever applied to Morelos. No other club in the UK would be selling Butland for less than 15m this summer.

Butland has a status for EPL clubs that Morelos didn't. Butland is an English internationalist and on the brink of a call up to the Euros ( probably 4th choice atm). Butland doesn't have a reputation down south for being a hothead verging on liability.

None of the above ever applied to Morelos. No other club in the UK would be selling Butland for less than 15m this summer.
If we had a squad full of sellable assets, I'd say hold out for £15m.

But he's probably our one and only significant asset. He'll need to be sold.

Forest did.
I must have missed that but even so although I'm well aware of our financial situation my opinion is that we build a team from Butland outward.

There are players our there with comparatively low outlays to strengthen the team. It's all about our scouting of players in various markets. The east end hovel dwellers have done it despite the shouting from them about their millions that they have

Off the top of my head I can’t really remember specific goals but I also can’t remember him having any real “howlers”, maybe some you’d think he should have done better with but any goalie can fall victim to that.

Celtic’s 2 goals last week nothing he could do. The last game at Ibrox no chance with the first or second, 3rd was a “could have done better”. The Christmas fixture no complaints. Likewise with the opening OF of the season.

You can’t save everything. He’s been worth easily 10 points for us this season in my view.

I’m thinking Kyogo at Ibrox and all three goals against Benfica. Posted missing for all goals against Ross County most recently. Even Lundtram’s own goal, he’s flag on his arse for it and not anticipating it.

Maybe I’m just grumpy :D

He also said he didn't want to sell him or was just speculation?
I think he did a few weeks ago. If he does want to keep him and build a strong spine in the side starting with Jack then i'm happy with that. My point is we're not exactly flush, so maximising profits is the way to go. However given the money in football these days I'd be looking for more than 10m.

Last edited:
I’m thinking Kyogo at Ibrox and all three goals against Benfica. Posted missing for all goals against Ross County most recently. Even Lundtram’s own goal, he’s flag on his arse for it and not anticipating it.

Maybe I’m just grumpy :D
Kyogo at Ibrox was some finish for me, on the volley.

I can’t remember any of the Ross County goals as I watched it in Benidorm on a stag do :))

Regardless I still think we’d struggle to replace him and for me, selling him for £10m i a hard no.

I'd want more, but saying that, we also wanted more for Morelos, Kent, and other players that went on frees, so maybe just take the cash?

Latest posts

Back