If we got put out of Braga and they went through

I hope we go further in Europe as get more money for club and players will be wanting to join us as they see we are a progressive team under Stevie G and we don't need disco lights to get past Braga

Posts are mostly in reply to the OPs question - which has assumed Braga knock us out, (which most people agree is in the balance) and the consequent effect on our league success

A Sunday game after the europa league is always a tricky one with points dropped. League is no1 for me to stop their run so would sacrifice europa cup this season

Aye no bother big time Charlie

I’m realistic about where we’ve been and where we are. I’ll take the league this season and be ecstatic with that thanks very much.
You want Rangers to lose in Europe and Celtic to progress. Your mindset is alien to me. Thankfully nobody inside the club thinks along your lines.

I’d prefer we beat Braga and they lost to Copenhagen. Keeps our momentum going and hopefully harms theirs. Yes it will cause a backlog of fixtures but if we have momentum and they don’t it hopefully won’t matter
This.

I won't be too disappointed if we don't get through to the next round. The league is too important.

Braga will be tough over the two legs but it is winnable. European football is a bonus this season but the main focus should be the league

Europe for me is by far the bigger picture for our club. Attracting talent to replace those likely to move on in the summer is essential and when you can offer games in Europe to new players like Legia, Porto, Feyenoord,Young Boys, Braga, etc., over the likes of Hamilton, Motherwell and Livingston it is a no brainer. If we had to prioritise then play the kids in the Scottish cup.

By that logic (not saying it’s wrong). Does us going through and them going out give us a disadvantage in the league?

Because me wanting us to win and them to lose is my default position. But league is my priority this season.

I suppose you can try and take positives and negatives from any of the connotations.

I’ll still be gutted if we lose.

I'm happy with our european run this year, Braga have certainly stepped up since they changed manager. As long as they show what they are made of, what happens happens, league is the priority so if it gives us an advantage am all for it.

But then would be still be gutted to go out. It's a bag of mixed emotions haha

As a club we should always have the mindset of wanting to win every game & progress as much as possible, we had this previously & for some reason recently it seems to have gone and that must return. We can’t expect players to be up for up for everything and expect them to win if as a fanbase we would rather not progress in Europe. Thankfully we have a management team who have the correct mindset & will use the squad accordingly to achieve as much as we can.

I would never go in to a game saying I want to get beat. However I would not be annoyed about going out the Europa league at this stage.

All really good replies and I agree that winning gives us the winnning mentality, as we are seeing this season. Always for all us bears, Rangers win, they get beat, always default. It was more the fixture scenario and adding in potentially them having a game 3 days before us, us potentially having a game and hand and them playing catch up on 22nd March and I suppose also the cancelling fixtures for the alky. The post wasn’t to breed negativity at all.
More pressing things now today.

Both got winnable ties although i reckon braga are probably better than copenhagen. How far us and them go in that competition could definitely have a big say in the league. But we're not in Europe after xmas often enough to turn our nose up at it either.

Let’s face we are not going to win the Europa, while I want the Bears to win every game they play I wouldn’t be gutted if we lose to Braga, as the OP said, might give us a wee edge in the title.
Maybe I'm not being realistic but i wouldn't discount us not winning the whole dam shooting match. There isn't many teams that will fancy playing us.

The prize money is the bonus to help us. The chance to get further will depend on what priorities are.

I don't like saying it, but I'm moving towards wanting out of Europe. I could stomach them going to the last 8 (no further!) if it helps us win the league. Any other season I want Europe, but we've already way overachieved, the league has to be priority.

I believe we’ll get past Braga.

And I want them out of every competition they ever enter, as soon as possible.

So, we’ll win the league AND watch them get pumped out of Europe :)

The gaffer will be setting the team up to win all games. He won't rest players for Europe.
If we need to play them might as well beat them.

The gaffer will be setting the team up to win all games. He won't rest players for Europe.
If we need to play them might as well beat them.
My thoughts exactly - the gaffer loves European football and that will likely mean just as much as the league.

I’d be happy to concentrate on the league, although I keep thinking about the possibility of us drawing the legions of scum in the next round - and 3 games against them in a row !!
That is a lovely proposition.
The only one in doubt would be the one with a Scottish referee.

European football and the extra money that comes with it is a fantastic bonus for us. But thats all it is. The league is the priority and that’s all I care about.

European ambition is always of huge importance to me.
We should have ambitions to stay as long as we can in this competition.
I believe that Steven Gerrard will be of the same mind.
The Scottish bubble of media attention is not worth a shilling, however, doing well in Europe brings the club to attention where it matters in the world.
Steven Gerrard did not come to Rangers to catch the attention of Michael Stewart or Tom English or feature in some local rhag like The Daily Rhecord, this man seeks real fame and success for himself and Rangers, the type of success that gets you noticed in London, Paris, and Madrid by informed journalists.

We are playing far better football in Europe than we did when we reached the final mate, anything can happen.
I said this a few weeks ago and pointed out that we've beaten equal, or better than, any teams we beat in the run to the final. I'd argue Porto is harder than any teams we beat then and I'm not sure we had much trouble there.

Some lucky draws and a bit of luck and it's not out with the realm of reality that we could be in with a chance of willing EL under Gerrard.

As long as we avoid Ajax and Red Bull Salzburg I reckon we'd be in with a chance of beating anyone.

Last edited:
I’m going to be honest and say that I really don’t care about Europe. We need to win the league. I’m not unhappy for us to go out next round and them going on is a plus for us.

for me, European football after Xmas is a luxury and not a necessity.

I mostly agree with this, wouldn't go so far as to say I don't care but league is the priority and whatever happens in Europe happens.

I think the idea of going ahead on points on the Saturday adds extra pressure on us rather than the other way about. If we do drop points then it gives them a boost for the Sunday game to go and get the win. I prefer both of us playing on the Sunday at the moment.

The lack of foresight shown by the spfl is astounding, mostly in relation to allowing the fri nightgame v hibs to go ahead.
Shoudve played 2 games in that week

Thats what’s caused This whole issue

Not sure them going further in Europe is much of a disadvantage considering they've all the domestic refs in their pockets handing out penalties galore.

Obviously the league is priority this year, however I don't see any reason why we can't progress in Europe and win the title. A winning mentality and habit is really important and doing well in Europe can cement they going into our league run in

I’m going to be honest and say that I really don’t care about Europe. We need to win the league. I’m not unhappy for us to go out next round and them going on is a plus for us.

Dave King said as much when asked about possibly selling Alfie.. He said we don’t want money in the bank we want the league title..I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re thinking is along the same lines of being in or out of Europe.

If we dont make any signings in this window, I wouldn't be upset going out of europe. We're already light in a couple of positions and a few less high intensity games wouldn't be a disaster. We have already over achieved in Europe. I want the league over anything else.

Let’s face we are not going to win the Europa, while I want the Bears to win every game they play I wouldn’t be gutted if we lose to Braga, as the OP said, might give us a wee edge in the title.
Porto were amongst the 3 favourites to win and we took care of them over the 2 games v them.
Feyenoord wouldn't have been far off either.
Nothing saying we couldn't win it.
Worse teams have.

I wouldn’t rule out anything in Europe with this team. Best European record of my lifetime.

If we win this game, we’re in the last 16 and it’s anybody’s from there on in.

The last 16 would be a great achievement. I would think that the game vs Braga and anything after would net us a few mil a tie.
League is tops but Europe is important for many reasons too.

100 % agree, we need the League title this year, another tie in Europe could work against us

If we both progress in Europe we get the same rest. We are the better team so we beat them again.

Back