If we only made one more signing

Toss up between a striker and a midfield dynamo for me.

I’ll go the midfielder, and pray Morelos smartens the %^*& up and stops damaging him self and the team at crucial times.

A genuine quality midfield dynamo / playmaker.

I don’t think we can rely on Davis for an entire season - he looked knackered after Xmas - so we need a Souness / Barry Ferguson type player who can boss games from the middle of the park.

It’s what I felt we needed last summer. Instead we added a 23 year old from the English third tier.

We need to have quality backups everywhere except CB where I think we need to have a look at. The times where we've had bad spells have been when our main players haven't been there. For me that's Borna, Tav and Morelos. Other positions have some sort of rotation that can still work, but if our 1st choice full backs and striker isn't there, we need someone just as good to come in and we currently don't have that for those positions.

If we only make one more signing it would need to be Ronaldo or Messi. We have nowhere near enough to kick off the new season and expect to win the league.

I'm torn between another forward player or a top class centre mid. We lack someone who can dictate the game from the middle of the park. Davis was outstanding up until the break last year, but then he fell off a cliff after the break. Probably his age catching up with him, we can't expect a guy of his age to play 60 games a season and maintain his standards.

I'd also like another forward. One that could play through the middle or wide preferably. Even if Alfredo stays, it would be good to see another top quality forward come in because Alfredo needs to know his spot isn't guaranteed every single week. This would hopefully push him to maintain his fitness and standards. Someone who could also play with Defoe in a front 2 in certain games, as we hopefully mix things up a bit next season from time to time.

They are the two clear priorities for me (assuming we don't lose any first team players).

Just my two cents mate and tbh when I tell my mates I want us to sell both Alfie and Tav this window half of them think I’ve lost the plot.
But when I explain why and one of my oldest pals chips in with a bit of background about Tavs attitude being questionable,they can at least grasp why I have that opinion,even if they don’t agree with it.

We are very over reliant on both players,and to move forward and win things we need to adapt and overcome that.
Add three high quality players to Hagi already signed with the money we could make from those two and we will be stronger as a collective.

That’s what I want because that’s what will get us over the line when it really matters imo.
This actually makes a lot of sense despite me being a big fan of both. Nobody bigger than the club and all that...

Reactions: cav
A big issue was the drop in our standard when Tav or Borna were unfit, and that harmed
our creative ability as well as our defensive security.

Buy Guillermo Varela for 2m or so. Can cover both, in fact is maybe better than Tav from
what I've seen of him.

He can also cover in CDM. Very smart Uruguayan. Winning record at the Chamber of
Secrets too.
good point we are very reliant on our two full backs and need better cover the player you suggest is ideal howeverI think he might cost a bit more than 2m but a good shout

It has to be a striker. I hope we go for Maric or Ross Wilson has some gem up his sleeve. Even if Buff stays imagine the difference in having a prime aged proved scorer there to rotate or pair with the Buff.

Those wingers we bought might suddenly be useful with a 6'3 centre forward too. Formation changes become possible. Variation in style.

I know you said one signing but more are needed. I'd like to see something like

McGregor

Goldson/VanDerHoorn Helander/Katic

Tav/Paterson. Borna/Meling
Fer/Jack Aribo/Kamara

Kent/Aribo Hagi/Kennedy Mak/Linssen

Morelos/Maric

All bosmans with exception of Maric
a lot of homework there mate - I'll check the 6 proposed ones out

Edit:
Some impressive ones there
Mak - knows where the goal is
Linssen - Kent's posn?
Fer & Meling - ;)
VanDerHoorn - couldn't see much

Last edited:
Ball winning centre-mid. We need a bit of fight at times and someone in the middle giving some direction would be the last piece in the jigsaw. It might not be the prettiest jigsaw in the world, but it would be a complete one. I agree a 3rd striker is needed, but I’d be more comfortable going with Morelos/Defoe up front than I would going with the exact same personnel in midfield.

My opinion if we only sign one more player think we can forget the league we need a RB CH tough midfielder a d a striker.

Without a doubt another top striker that fits in to our system. Alfie needs genuine competition for a starting spot. He should be fighting for his place every week, he knows that's not the case. Whenever he goes off the boil, or gets suspended, we are gubbed. Defoe should be a 60 min sub to add a 2nd striker if we need one, not s fill in for Alfie.

2nd priority is a midfield enforcer. We don't need one in Europe, but there are games in our league where our midfield is too soft to deal with the physical teams. We need to be able to stand up to that. Personally I think there are games young McCrorie wold be ideal for. His passing may not be as good as it should be, but I've never seen an opposition player be able to match him physically. I would like to see him and Jack be the sitting 2 in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Kent on the left, Hagi in the middle and an new right sided attacker.

Morelos needs pushed, there also has to be a player of similar calibre there to partner him as two up top has to be an option at times through out the season.

Dykes or Kamberi aren't of that level and Defoe doesn't have the legs in him any more.

We'll be playing on four fronts. We need Morelos or a replacement should he leave, a player like Vydra and Defoe.

Morelos - Vydra - Defoe or players similar to the first two give us real strength and options up top.

Striker - a definite requirement. Defoe 3rd choice, with Alfie battling it out with a new guy of equal or better ability. If Alfie goes then we need two new strikers.

Right sided attacker (or false 10 as is the new term these days). Backup would be either one of Aribo/Arfield, also need to consider Murphy/Hastie as potential backup dependant on who stays.

Centre mid of real ability and character - would have Jack/Davis fighting for one spot, with Hagi as our attacking creative goal scoring midfielder, and Kamara as back up to a new midfielder. Aribo/Arfield could also come in when required, as well as backup to Kent.

Back up goalie (would take Hladky from St Mirren)

Back up left back (ideally able to play right back as well, dependant on how ready Nathan Patterson is). A better Jon Flanagan, essentially.

Generally happy with the defence, think we have 4 good centre halves who just need to cut out the occasional errors.

5 or 6 players required, dependant on outgoings - another 3 first choice players, and a couple of backups.

All depends. No question Tav is the best RB in the league but he'll be 29 this year and this is the final chance we've got IMO to cash in on him and replace with a younger player

If we don't then we are saddled for the next three years with a massive contract and possibly diminishing fitness and skill set.

It's a big call for Gerrard.

Athletically Tav is an absolute freak. His physically resiliency is off the chart. Your point to a degree is still valid but he’ll be playing at a high level for many many years.

good point we are very reliant on our two full backs and need better cover the player you suggest is ideal howeverI think he might cost a bit more than 2m but a good shout

Do you think so Gee ?

They bought him for 1.6m, and transfermarket.com has him at 1m.

He's 27 now, so plenty of legs still id guess.

A genuine quality midfield dynamo / playmaker.

I don’t think we can rely on Davis for an entire season - he looked knackered after Xmas - so we need a Souness / Barry Ferguson type player who can boss games from the middle of the park.

It’s what I felt we needed last summer. Instead we added a 23 year old from the English third tier.
Lets not forget that that 23 year old from the English third tier rejected Bundesliga teams and EPL teams to join us.

Reactions: cav
We don't need squad options. This was our downfall in the signing strategy last summer. Run of the mill SPL plodders who look decent in shite teams won't win us this league.
Yes but we do need 2/3 players who are horrible b*stards and will do all the dirty work for the flair players to perform.

There’s far too many who still want their right back to be like Flanno. Can defend. That’s it.

Modern football is an ever changing sport. Most of the top full backs now can barely tackle
Long gone are the days of Gary Neville
It’s very similar to this constant need for a hard man in midfield, it’s not the 80’s anymore.

The midfield is won with technical players not guys from a bygone era.

Lets not forget that that 23 year old from the English third tier rejected Bundesliga teams and EPL teams to join us.

I’m not disputing Aribo’s potential, but we needed straight of the box proven quality last summer in the middle of the park, and as talented as he’s shown us in flashes that he is, he never provided that for us and it was probably always unfair to expect him to do so.

1 signing and we might as well hand them the title.

We need to strengthen in a number of positions to have a proper go.

We need a commander in the middle of the park who will take control of games, far too many games away from home when its tight we don't look to be in control of the game, compared to those bastards across the city who do.

We need another striker capable of hitting 20 a season and put Alfie under real pressure, as when he's off the boil so are we.

We need back-up to Barisic as he's our only recognised left-back.

We need a right sided forward capable of adding goals to the side as well, as we really need to be scoring more from other positions than our striker.

To add to the above point, we also need a goal scoring midfielder.

Argee with all of the above. And although not as urgent as other areas, we need a big upgrade at right back. I would also like to think we are signing a new 'captain'.

It’s very similar to this constant need for a hard man in midfield, it’s not the 80’s anymore.

The midfield is won with technical players not guys from a bygone era.
We dominated them in midfield by keeping the ball off them not by kicking them.
That is why IMO McCrorie won’t make it, he can’t pass as well as the majority, regardless of his ability to head, tackle etc

A goalscoring midfielder.

Jack, Kamara & Davis are too similar and offer nothing going forward.

Thankfully we aren't limited to 1 as we need more.

I’m not disputing Aribo’s potential, but we needed straight of the box proven quality last summer in the middle of the park, and as talented as he’s shown us in flashes that he is, he never provided that for us and it was probably always unfair to expect him to do so.
In the current market we can’t exactly buy proven quality. Sure, we’ll get the odd player like Barisic who even then took a year to properly settle and flourish. Our model is/should be signing players who, whilst not being proven quality, are quality nonetheless and have huge potential.

In the current market we can’t exactly buy proven quality. Sure, we’ll get the odd player like Barisic who even then took a year to properly settle and flourish. Our model is/should be signing players who, whilst not being proven quality, are quality nonetheless and have huge potential.

We spent £7m on Kent last summer. I said at the time I felt that was too much to spend on a player who’d really only actually had a handful of good games to merit that sort of money.

For that kind of figure, I think we could have bought better quality for the middle of the park.

He's the best in our league by an absolute mile mate.

Nobody else is even close to him.

Even if you want him upgraded, it can't possibly be our number 1 priority.

He's really lost a yard since Candeias left.
I think we have two weak defending WB's to be honest, they are good going forward, but weak in defence.
Scotland being a scrappy, aggressive league makes them vulnerable.
Just my opinion.

I'd like a RW, or go 4-1-3-2 and buy a left sided striker beside Alfredo.

A Fergie type, be it Ian or Barry or a magnificent bastard but someone to take control totally. Too many utility midfielders at the moment.

Back