IF we qualify in Rotterdam

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Then it has to be a must to rest key players for the Young boys game.

What do you think the unwashed are gonna do for the Rennes game ? They have 1 more game than us after this international break.

After Feyenoord we have Hearts , Sheep then the unwashed in the final. A tough 3 games after the european game.....IF we have qualified then players like McGregor , Tav , Goldson , Barisic , Davis , Kent , Morelos MUST be kept fresh for the upcoming 4 games after Young Boys.

Those games are Motherwell , Hibs away , Kilmarnock home then the unwashed away. Giving our core players a week rehabilitation between games and in the middle of this key month can only help us achieving our main goal... The league title.

Its not as if we haven’t got strength in depth as we could field a team similar to this vs Young boys.....

Fod
Flanagan Katic Helander Halliday
Jack Kamara Aribo
Ojo Defoe Arfield

Not 1 player Will play the 10 games we have after this break. If there’s a chance to rest some then it has to be done. Europe was the bonus this year , getting another £4m from qualifying is huge. Winning the title is bigger and we must give ourselves every chance in doing so.

Beating Young Boys in the last game might be the difference in topping the group or finishing 2nd though. The group winners will likely get a much more favourable draw in the next round.

But if we are already through you can't argue against starting Defoe instead of Morelos but I don't think we can weaken the team too much.

Morelos is one game away from suspension.

to have qualified then lose a player through injury wound hurt us more. SG admitted losing Morelos in cup last season due to card was a mistake. To lose him or another again due to a game they don’t need to play in would be insane . Small margins this season

I can see your thinking, as the league is our priority. But I've paid for my ticket and don't particularly want to watch our 'B' team get a run out. I also think it would ruin the atmosphere if we put out a weaker team. I want Ibrox to be much better, much louder than the Porto game. The Young Boys game should be a celebration... and we should qualify in style by beating them!

Strongest team plays every match for me. Plus, if we can win the group by getting a win or draw v YB then I can't see SG resting players if it would mean a much more favourable draw in the last 32
No team plays their strongest every game... that’s how burnout happens... FF would go into meltdown if we lost players through an injury in a game they weren’t needed or through playing too much when they didn’t need to

Incorrect OP.

Prize money
For the 2019–20 season, group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €2,920,000. A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000.

Also don't think there is a scenario where we are qualified and Young Boys aren't. So if we've qualified going into the last game then so have Young Boys.

We want to win the game to top the group and also extra cash and most fans would have paid £40 for a ticket and dont want to watch a 2nd string side i know i dont

Reactions: SSR
Incorrect OP.

Prize money
For the 2019–20 season, group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €2,920,000. A victory in the group pays €570,000 and a draw €190,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,000,000 and each runner-up €500,000.

That’s for the group , for qualifying you get more tv prize money and add 50k full Ibrox then you reach around £4m from the one game

Last edited:
Red Star Belgrade are the only side so far that have done that - start in EL QR1 and reached the knockout stages in 2017-18, lost to Arsenal in last 32 round
Were they not in same group stage and drew each other again in last 32?

i agree with you that resting the players would be ideal but need to remember folk have payed alot of money to watch us in europe it wouldnt be fair on them playing a 2nd team. plus topping group would mean more money so i would go for the strongest 11 possible try keep Ibrox a fortress on European nights

Regarding my point of resting as much as possible.

barisic Kamara and Arfield all had basically no rest with their form suffering until recently , Arfield still struggling

to play the same 11 won’t happen especially when you factor in the international games where Barisic Jack Davis Kamara Morelos will possibly play 2 games then you see why we need to keep a freshness

Morelos won’t start vs Hamilton , he’s playing in America on the wed and we start early Sunday so Defoe will start with Morelos fresh fir Feyenoord

So the difference between 1st and 2nd is £750k if getting a draw in final game means 2nd and winning means 1st.

Also don't think there is a scenario where we are qualified and Young Boys aren't. So if we've qualified going into the last game then so have Young Boys.

Incorrect.

We draw v Feyenoord
Young Boys draw v Porto

We qualify, Young Boys are not. As Porto still sit 3 behind them with a better head to head points v them. So if Young Boys lost to us then Porto beat Feyenoord last game, Porto would qualify at the expense of Young Boys

Far too many ifs and buts, lets just play the games as they fall with the best team we can put out and see how that goes.

to have qualified then lose a player through injury wound hurt us more. SG admitted losing Morelos in cup last season due to card was a mistake. To lose him or another again due to a game they don’t need to play in would be insane . Small margins this season

maybe a late yellow card in a positive result in Rotterdam for Morelos?

Just on this point personally I’d play the strongest team v Young Boys even if we are qualified.

£500K for winning the match, easier draw in last 32 and chance of progressing to last 16, 2 home match gate money and match money as well.

BUT what I will say is, Motherwell Away 3 days after Young Boys at home is without question much more important, especially if we are already qualified. So I wouldn’t be shocked to see Defoe v Young Boys etc.

Hopefully it’s something we have to consider as that will mean we qualified v Feyenoord! Here’s hoping!

I dont think the squad will be as rotated as much as that. Even if we qualify theres still a 1 million euro purse to play for against young boys.

If Rangers are winning against Feyenoord then Morelos should get himself booked in the dying minutes, so as he misses the YB game and then be free for the next round.

pretty sure Alfie will be told to pick up a silly booking in the last five minutes if we are winning and the result in the other game is going our way ;)

Might actually be in Alfie's (and our) interests to pick up a yellow in Rotterdam - assuming we are going through

Someone posted late last night that there is that scenario where if both the next games finish in draws, Rangers would be guaranteed through but YB's, who would still sit top, would not be, going into the last game.
Maybe somebody could explain why this won't be the case.

As a few now pointing out , crazy to play our best player if already qualified

I get the ££ part and winning the group but have confidence in the team/squad

I don’t think the 7 players I mentioned will be rested but maybe 3/4 , crazy not too

Someone posted late last night that there is that scenario where if both the next games finish in draws, Rangers would be guaranteed through but YB's, who would still sit top, would not be, going into the last game.
Maybe somebody could explain why this won't be the case.

If both games are draws and we beat YB and Porto beat Feyenoord then Porto would beat YB on head to head I think

Celtic will be going all-out against Rennes as a win secures that they win the group.

The difference between winning the group and finishing second is enormous in terms of potential next round opponents. We won’t be resting anyone, nor should we.

If both matches are draws in Round 5 and Rangers and Porto win in Round 6 then Porto will eliminate YB on head to head.

Back