If we sign another LB

Why would we sign another left back just now? The Croatian number 3 has about 6 weeks to prove the job is his. If not then we have a guy who is defensively sound and finished the year on fire.

If neither of those guys nail the position down then we can look at buying someone. Andy isn’t a genuine option at left back for the season.

That’s the bad news for Andy.

Here’s the good..,.

His value isn’t as a left back or a midfielder. Positionally his value is he’ll play anywhere. He’s no better than 3rd choice anywhere but in a small squad that still has value. Also, he’s a captain in all but name. He has a role inducting new players and he sets a standard - because he can/willl play anywhere he sets a bar that the nominal players in that position need to surpass.

And although he won’t rock the boat if he doesn’t play every week he’s not he guy to mail it in. Hell still train and play hard so he’ll be available to step in if required. He’ll maintain the standards above him.

When Gerrard mentioned a squad of 23 or 24 I think Halliday has a position where he might not be in the “2 players for each position” process but still a valuable squad player as the uncounted 25th or 26th man. I don’t want to damn him with feint praise but if he’s in no mans land most of the year between the development and first team squads he’ll still be able to contribute and even if he’s only an unstripped squad player he’ll have earned the right to enjoy 55.

Apologies for any incoherent grammar- too many Glenfiddichs for a school night:)

Your defeating your own argument then.

Even more reason he stays.
No mate, I was responding to your statement regarding Halliday stepping in for the “new players who haven’t yet proved themselves”

That’s your reason he stays! I don’t believe he’s required personally.

Halliday isn’t a great football player.

However, he’s bore the brunt of the mentally challengeds jokes, so I would love him to be here when we win 55.

The boy deserves it.

Never a starter in our strongest team but to come back from everything he took from them and force his way back in shows his character.i think pretty much everyone thought he was gone last season but he came and did a job when ever called upon and when we are watching him lift the league trophy this season i dont think i will be able to hold back tears as he will know more than anyone what 55 actually means to us

Back