If we sign another LB

Jonnyleblue

Should Halliday be told to find football elsewhere?

LB is the only position he currently has any chance of playing based on the current squad.

No room for sentiment, or good to have around as he is one of us and helps the others understand the honour of player for the club

Halliday a big part of the dressing room imo. Rangers boy who gets it, will know how to fire up the squad for OF games and can come on and do a job in midfield or defence if required.

For all it costs I think it's well worth hanging onto him.

He also deserves 55 after all the shit he took.

Would, presumably, be on low wages. Can provide emergency cover in a few different positions. Positive influence in the dressing room supposedly. Wouldn't make any money from selling him. Not going to kick up a stink if he's not playing.

Don't see any compelling reason for him to go tbh.

In my opinion we cannot justify signing another left back unless we move Barisic on. The same applies to wingers and I include Ryan Kent in that.

Expect him to stay this season but I’ll be shocked if he gets a new contract for next year

Would defo keep AH, what I do hope is we move on some of the squad players who wont feature at all, seems very quiet on outgoings from the club which is a little disappointing. Thought we may have at least moved on a couple by now.

We have 3 players who can play LB.

Barasic, Flanagan & Halliday.

After Barasic playing well in pre-season, he is 100% our first choice and will improve with more games. If he gets injured then we have players to step in who will do a good job aswell.

No need for a LB anymore since SG is sticking with Barasic & he knows what Halliday brings to the team, he brings a lot to the dressing room.

His value is more than just the on field stuff.

Gerrard will want a dressing room full of different characters.

Watched an interview where he was going round the new lads and telling them what to expect.

Believe Gerrard really values having an element of home grown ‘fans’ in the team as well.

You always need good reliable backup players, who won't cause trouble in the dressing room,,Halliday is a great example of this, we know he won't let us down, certainly it would not be down to lack of effort,,

Not a chance, think halliday is quite happy being a squad player at the moment, anything to be involved

Halliday hardly put a foot wrong when he was called on last season. More than capable as a backup. If Barisic steps up like we all hope, then we dont need another LB.

Very much doubt we will sign a left back, assuming barisic shows up well enough over the next few weeks.

Gerrard clearly likes having Halliday around as well.

we wont sign a LB IMO. We have 5 full backs now (inc polster &JF). So we have the cover.

AH may not start games in midfield, but its a long season, he will most likely be in the 18 every week and can cover in emergencies. You need players like that.

Halliday hardly put a foot wrong when he was called on last season. More than capable as a backup. If Barisic steps up like we all hope, then we dont need another LB.
Exactly. I wasnt aware LB was a position that a new signing was being considered.

LB is the only position he currently has any chance of playing based on the current squad.

No room for sentiment, or good to have around as he is one of us and helps the others understand the honour of player for the club

We will only sign another left back if Gerrard decides Barisic isn't up to it.

The gaffer knows exactly what he'll get from Flanagan and Halliday and Halliday has looked sharp in both the Oxford and Marseille games.

Barisic also impressed on Sunday.

I'm not convinced we'll be signing another left back, as things stand.

He’s worth keeping around the squad. Knows what the club is about and can fill a few positions. Never know who’s going to get injured over the course of a season.

Last summer I'd have had Halliday close to the top of the list of players to be moved on but he clearly endeared himself to Stevie G and has embraced his good fortune at still living the dream like few before him.

In terms of footballing ability, he ain't going to be pressuring the first 11 too often, however he's proved himself a very positive influence in the dressing room and there's no hurry to change that.

He can fill in left back centre mid, a typical squad player that you need to win titles.

If we sign another left back that would be first pick then it should be Barisic who is sold. We can't afford to have saleable assets sitting there not playing.

Doesn't matter anyway as I believe we will go with what we have.

We won't sign a left-back this summer unless Barisic is sold.

Next summer Halliday and Flanagan are both out of contract so I could see us signing a left-back then.

Andy is actually a far better player than many give him credit for on here.

He has a terrific left foot and a fantastic attitude and work ethic.

He's not making my first 11, but he's not in the 1st team squad on sentiment alone.

Gerrard doesn't work that way, as we've seen with Doc, McCrorie and Rossiter.

The way we set up now, with the full backs providing the width, suits Halliday perfectly, as he has got outstanding delivery.

He'll still play a part this season and I'd certainly rather have him as a back up left back than Johnny f***in Hayes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Halliday gets special treatment on here because he's a Rangers fan. Fact!

He's a limited squad player at best, but no one can deny that he has a rapport with the support and is loved in the dressing room. Gerrard has also told us that he's the go to guy for all things Rangers when someone new joins. I'm sure he called him 'Mr Rangers'.

Fact!

He's a limited squad player at best, but no one can deny that he has a rapport with the support and is loved in the dressing room. Gerrard has also told us that he's the go to guy for all things Rangers when someone new joins. I'm sure he called him 'Mr Rangers'.

Fact!

Fact is you've basically just backed up exactly what I said.....thanks!

No chance.

He can play a number of postions and we have a lot of new players that have to prove themselves first.

Halliday can step in at anytime.

I actually think Andy was our best LB last season though that is not saying much. However I feel like he is solid enough and can also provide midfield cover so it is a no brainer to keep him, especially when you consider he is a big personality in the dressing room.

If Barisic doesnt improve I expect him to be punted and Andy to become our main LB until we sign another. For me the jury is still out on Flannagan as well, he had a few decent performances at the end of the season though.

He’s entirely unspectacular but I can’t recall him doing much wrong since he came back.

I genuinely don't understand some people's need to get rid of him.

It's clear the manager likes him as a utility player and dressing room character and while we all know he's never going to be a first ream regular, surely it's good for us to have as many positive characters in the dressing room as possible?

NO. Just my opinion of course

We're not on the look out for a LB unless of course Barasic goes. However, that is nothing more than paper talk.

However, Halliday has been very good since coming in last season. He's slotted in well at left back and performed well in midfield (which is where he plays). So, I am not sure why us getting another left back would focus on Halliday being shown the door.

Halliday also being one of the better players last season it would be entirely unfair to just offload him. He's not costing too much in wage and does a decent job when required.

He’s a very useful member of the squad and though not spectacular will always provide a reliable performance when called on.

Back