If you haven't seen this video of Calvin Bassey then watch it now.

I see an extremely positive ball playing central defender in him aswell as a promising fullback.

The days of Edmundson and Katic playing on the left should be over with this signing, I doubt they will be though

There are on YouTube some full length Leicester under 23 games I am an neither a scout or coach but IMO he’s looked pretty ordinary in some of them hope Ii am proved wrong

There are on YouTube some full length Leicester under 23 games I am an neither a scout or coach but IMO he’s looked pretty ordinary in some of them hope Ii am proved wrong
You sat through a few 90min Leicester U23 games just to watch this guy? That’s commitment.

Seems like a decent backup LB to me, a step up from haliday in that regard hopefully.

Think I will apply the tried and tested method of watching him play a considerable amount of first team matches in his favoured position before passing judgement on a player I’d never heard of until we signed him. Unbelievable for FF, I know.

He can play left back and either side of centre back.
predominantly left footed.

I've thought about Edmundson as a right sided DM, Calvin has the technique, vision, pace and passing ability to cement the left side of DM.

I know people will say "but he is a defender" Calvin isn't a defender, he is a player, I mean the guy has a lot more to his game than just defending.

What a talent he is.

Disappointed in all the racist comments on here about his physique.

On a related note, I like how they circle him at the start of each clip, incase we're struggling to pick him out :))

Think I will apply the tried and tested method of watching him play a considerable amount of first team matches in his favoured position before passing judgement on a player I’d never heard of until we signed him. Unbelievable for FF, I know.

How dare you.

Me: no longer will I allow myself to get excited by short YouTube clips

Also me: he looks BRILLIANT. Guy is an absolute unit but with a bit of pace and a good bit of skill too.

Videos are of no intrest to me, i remember sebo videos when he signed.. the proof will be in the pudding

Looks like he is keen to take players on and actually go by them, which is refreshing. Some of the positions he was in, many left backs would have passed inside, or cut back on themselves and try to beat the player again, whereas he looked quite confident and direct.

Taking everything into account, including cost and potential, there is absolutely nothing negative about his signing, only positives.

Big, powerful lad with a bit of skill and likes going forward. He still looks a bit raw / awkward but has all the attributes for a good coach to work with. He looks like he could be developed into the natural successor to Borna.

Gerrard seemed very enthusiastic about him in an interview he gave weeks back. Hopefully he lives up to that.

Looks promising but remember every footballer can look like a superstar on a 5 min youtube compilation. I remember thinking joe dodoo would be a superb coming from a league winning leicester side too so lets just wait and see.

We don’t know if the boy is shit hot or just shit .

Just let us see if he gets into the first team and then we can judge him.

Some of the opposition don't want to come near him in parts of that. Big strong and fast with a decent looking delivery. Lots of scope there so we'll see what happens.

Hes a monster, tall physical, pace, power, guys like this are badly needed in every team. What i don't want to see is him shoehorned into the team in a position that's not his, he either earns the left back/left centre half spot or he comes in when Barasic/Helander are injured or need rested.

does he not also play as a left CH?

Looks decent good pace and should be able to deal with the physicality of what passes for football up here.

Amazing that so many can judge a players touch and overall ability by looking at an edited YouTube clip.

All the right signs are there imo
That doesn't mean the potential gets converted into reality- but at least it's a good start point

If he can deal with all the expectations & doesn't get put off by constantly being fouled & refs ignoring it - or waiting on the bench for chances that might only come with injuries or suspensions- & of course develops a winning mentality under pressure- then he could easily turn out to be a key signing

I know all that's a tall order - but put it this way - I feel more confident having him than before he arrived & if he doesn't quite cut it right away - he's got time on his side at his age

Looks like a big unit but with some pace. Hopefully he develops well and provides competition for Borna in coming seasons.

If he can work on his crossing with Borna and learn from him then he could really add a lot more to his game.

Looks like a talented player.

From the little clips of him in that video the commentators were still calling him Calvin Ughelumba (I think his full name is Calvin Bassey Ughelumba). I assume he's decided to drop the Ughbelumba to save bears a few quid when it comes to getting his name on their replica kit.;):)

Good thing is he will have time too settle in with borna being first choice but going by that video the boys got attributes hopefully he can play a part this season and brings a better balance too the squad on the left that we were lacking with flannigan and haliday.

Just got round to watching the video. Looks like he has talent though a bit heavy in his touches and crossing at present. Plenty of time to work on that. The boy is an absolute unit though. Not seen a full back with that physique in a long time, especially given that he looks damn rapid too.

you don’t see him at all in the air on the showreel but he looks nearly a full head taller than many of the players around him which is again a bit unusual in a full back. Hopefully he’s got a decent spring in him as well.

We have two very good LB's at our club now. This boy is fucking rapid and very calm and cool on the ball. Just what we need to keep Borna on his toes.

have you forgot about the Liverpool players we had past 2 seasons
Let the young fella settle before you put him up there to be shot

Did I hear the commentator in one of the clips calling him something else, Clavin Ughelumba? Has he changed his name?

Yes. I wondered why when I watched the Leicester reserve games.

I'm assuming a divorce / step parent / marriage has been the driving force for it.

For those moaning re youtube clips. Rodgers didn't want to lose him. Steven Gerrard also rates him.
I’ve not seen Rodgers comment on him anywhere but i wouldn’t use Rodgers judgement of players as something to hang your hat on

Back