If you thought the old slope at Easter Road was bad

Used to play on some weird parks like that as a wee boy. You don’t see them so much now. Obviously re senior grounds there was Easter Rd but as I recall did not Raith Rovers and possibly Stirling Albion (?) have quite a slope. Many in the sixties hade SOME slight slope in them.

If anyone has ever played at Saughton In Edinburgh there’s a pitch there that must be about 6 foot downhill from left to right.

There was a football park in Clydebank at Goldenhill that was built on a hill, if you shot a grounder from the halfway line it would end up in the top corner.

Glenmanor park in Moodiesburn was the exact shape as that although not as steep.

That’s exactly what that pitch reminded me of. I played on that a few times. I’m sure it’s still there but don’t know if it still being used by teams.

As a youngster I played a few games on a pitch at Green Road Paisley. As I remember you could not see all of the other goal from the opposite end, there was a hill in the middle. Even worse was the smell from "The Bone Works" Talk about home advantage! :)

Looks like my old Subbuteo pitch when i decided to paste it to a plywood board as a ten year old, sort of curled up at each side.
My old man said son, you'll never make it as a Jiner.
Probably a vagina but never a Jiner. :D

As a youngster I played a few games on a pitch at Green Road Paisley. As I remember you could not see all of the other goal from the opposite end, there was a hill in the middle. Even worse was the smell from "The Bone Works" Talk about home advantage! :)
I remember green road now.

Crazy pitch

Was a park in Cumbernauld I played on as a kid that was like this , if you took a corner at the top of the hill the ball would go out of the park and onto the main road

When I was in the BB we used to play on pitches in Thornliebank (behind the chapel) that you couldn't see on goal from the other (ok we were wee!!) and if you were winning with five minutes to go you could just blooter the ball out of the park.

it had slopes on the slopes

If anyone has ever played at Saughton In Edinburgh there’s a pitch there that must be about 6 foot downhill from left to right.
They used to change it every couple of years by turning the parks round until they built the Astro parks , but you are spot on about the slope, the parks on Milton road where the new school is was the very same.

Played on some bad pitches in Aberdeen 15-20 years ago and the slopes were shocking. If you were taking a corner from the high side of the pitch the ball was under you. Almost impossible to put the ball in the box.

The pitch at Dundonald Castle in Ayrshire had the worst slope I ever played on.
It didn’t slope from goal to goal, it sloped across the pitch giving no team an advantage at any point, and made one half impossible for skillfull ball playing wingers like myself!

The slope at Tannadice- from side to side rather than lengthwise - was quite pronounced but never got mentioned as much as Easter Road.

I played a lot of football at South Pollok, now the site of Silverburn, and there were dips in some of the pitches that saw some players half disappear.

Played on that pitch at moodiesburn , we also had one like that in Coatbridge at Carnbroe
Behind the miners row.

THAT reminds me of the pitches at South Pollok, the ones behind the old Bellarmine school ( roughly where the M77 runs by the Pollok Shopping Centre ) :D
I used to play here with Hollywood Boys Club. Rolled ma eyes when told we were on the far away pitch

Back