IFA punish Linfield with stand closure

The Goalie

Statement on Linfields website.....

Club officials attended a meeting of the IFA’s Disciplinary Committee on November 23 to respond to a Notice of Complaint for an alleged breach of the Association’s Article 33.1, relating to incidents of spectator misconduct during the club’s Premiership fixture against Glentoran at Windsor Park on October 14.

Whilst the club put forward a range of mitigations in relation to actions taken to combat spectator misconduct within the stadium, including online educational messages and increased security measures, the Committee determined that Linfield must close the Kop Stand for a period of two months with immediate effect.

The Club’s Board of Directors will do all within their power to defend the Club from disciplinary sanctions where possible but cannot and will not defend the indefensible. As such, we have accepted the punishment on this occasion.

The Committee further advised the club, in the event of further spectator misconduct, of their power to issue a range of further sanctions including a full stadium ban and a potential deduction of points.

The Committee also commended the club on their engagement with relevant parties and positive measures that have already been actioned to date. We will continue to engage with the Disciplinary Committee going forward.

The club’s Board of Directors is deeply concerned at this development and urges all of our supporters to get fully behind the club in its efforts to eradicate sectarian singing and all other forms of spectator misconduct. This behaviour is wrong on every level and is extremely damaging to the club that we all support. We again call for this to desist immediately.

The club will continue its engagement with the supporters’ group which identifies itself as ‘Blue Unity’ as an ongoing attempt to rectify these issues but would warn that more punitive measures will be introduced to ensure that this unacceptable behaviour does not continue.

Stay Blue or Stay Away

Really tame, stands already emptying and authorities driving away a new generation coming through which are showing some interest. Blue Unity are harmless (wannabe Union Bears) , no wonder the IL continues to die a death. Punishment is pathetic too, actually seems the club have choose the punishment as it saves them a cost to steward another stand,

I went to the Linfield v Cliftonville match a few weeks ago. Their fans were singing republican shite for most of the match. Do they get called out for it, or is it the same as Scotland?

I went to the Linfield v Cliftonville match a few weeks ago. Their fans were singing republican shite for most of the match. Do they get called out for it, or is it the same as Scotland?
They don’t get called out for nothing in Scotland,
But, if we call them the F word that they call themselves,
It’s us that will end up being arrested and charged,
Welcome to Scotland in 2022 !

Really tame, stands already emptying and authorities driving away a new generation coming through which are showing some interest. Blue Unity are harmless (wannabe Union Bears) , no wonder the IL continues to die a death. Punishment is pathetic too, actually seems the club have choose the punishment as it saves them a cost to steward another stand,
Whats the average home attendance figure.

I heard they were singing that crap against Queens Park about six weeks ago.

Points deduction will be the only way of eradicating these Neanderthals. Blue men been getting away with murder for years
It's only a matter of time before Rangers are made an example of up here. Let's not kid ourselves.

Successive boards have allowed the media to control the narrative. We said and done nothing when Humza Yousaf appeared on National television and effectively labelled the support anti-Irish racist and anti-Catholic bigots. He should have been taken to task over his selective hearing and outrage.

We also have a minority of fans playing right into our enemies hands by continuing to chant the Billy boys despite it being proscribed.

If you don’t think affects us you’re wrong, I’m not sure what the Blues fans have done and will get some honest assessments today but the SFA will be best and will go for one club and we know who that will be.

The IFA has been totally infiltrated by the other sort from bottom up coaches back room staff you name it their in there symptomatic of the way our country is going I for one have no love for Linfield but this is an absolute disgrace and seems to me their putting down a marker and it’s all one way.

Going to go against the grain here, but the behaviour of fans at IL fans over recent games has been deteriorating, particularly that of the big two and Coleraine (Coleraine mostly outside the ground).

I remember Glentoran fans letting off fireworks at the National Stadium, but I am not sure they have been as badly behaved as BU since then. I think the punishment has came from an accumulation of offences by BU in all honesty.

You talk about it potentially driving away younger fans, but surely abuse between two sets of supports turns families away?

FYI, I do not support any of the big two, Coleraine, or their rivals.

A GAA ground not yet built, known to be costing considerably more than budget, against wishes of local residents, yet has been chosen for NI host stadium if UK /ROI successful with Euro bid. Don’t tell me there are not forces at foot here laying foundations for justifying this.

Back