Iker Casillas Retires.

One if the greats.

Lost his confidence and did he not have heart issues recently?

Buffon
Casillas
Schmichael

Best that I have witnessed.

Don’t know if it’s just me but the early 00s seem a golden age for keepers.

Buffon
Casillas
Van Der Saar
Kahn
Cech

Was an unbelievable keeper in his early years. Lost a bit of confidence later in his career but was still a top keeper.

Wow, how time flys.

Does not seem all that time ago he came on at Hampden and has the sleeves cut with scissors if I remember correctly.

What a career.

All the best with you and your wifes health.

Probably my favourite GK from growing up. Wasn’t the tallest as seems to be the goalkeeping trend now but unbelievable shot-stopper & won the lot.

Convinced I remember him making his debut as a substitute for a GK I'm sure was called Cesar. If it wasn't his debut, it was him taking his chance because he was never out after it.
Only Buffon was better in that era.

Edit: Seeing now it was the 2002 CL final.

Further Edit: Turns out he played in the final against Valencia two years earlier! Lost his place to Cesar through poor form, Cesar gets injured in 2002 final, Casillas back in and the rest is history.

Last edited:
An iconic goalie, there aren’t that many as above has shown. His medal collection would take you an afternoon to get round. Had a strange dip In confidence despite being a top player all his career.
Best of luck to him and his wife.

This makes me feel very old - I remember him making his debut as a very young man.

A real great of the game.

Back