Illegal sports streaming – accessing the inaccessible

Ouch!

According to Crimestoppers data, approximately 3.4 million illegal streamers across all markets are infected with computer viruses per year, while 1.5 million had personal details harvested, 1.3 million were hacked and 0.9 million had money stolen online. According to research commissioned by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), nearly half of all respondents said they would be willing to share their personal email address in order to gain access to an illicit stream.

Cybersecurity firm Webroot recently found that 92% of illegal streaming sites over a single weekend were promoting a range of Bitcoin and mobile app scams, as well as containing malware threats. Some recorded examples crimes carried out by hosts of illicit streams include using a viewer’s device to mine cryptocurrency, stealing personal information leading to fraud and hijacking webcams by tricking users into downloading fake video players.
You neglected to mention the promotion of Eastern European birds strumming themselves.

You should have seen the look on the boys face when we tried to watch one our European opponents last year and that popped up.:eek::)):))

I know people who subscribe to everything but work shifts, have family commitments and rarely see a live match.

That is just mental to me.

If your finances and life balance allows it then sure, why not get all the subscriptions up and running?

I usually use Now TV to get the OF game on and make sure I'm free to watch any other games on the 24 hr pass but anything else I wouldn't bother.
I generally get now TV discounts…currently £20 a month.

Get BT free due to my sons phone being with EE…and I’ll use Premier only when our games are on...that’s generally discounted too due me changing email addresses with them.

It a pain in the hoop at times trying to remember the automatic renewal dates though.

Ouch!

According to Crimestoppers data, approximately 3.4 million illegal streamers across all markets are infected with computer viruses per year, while 1.5 million had personal details harvested, 1.3 million were hacked and 0.9 million had money stolen online. According to research commissioned by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), nearly half of all respondents said they would be willing to share their personal email address in order to gain access to an illicit stream.

Cybersecurity firm Webroot recently found that 92% of illegal streaming sites over a single weekend were promoting a range of Bitcoin and mobile app scams, as well as containing malware threats. Some recorded examples crimes carried out by hosts of illicit streams include using a viewer’s device to mine cryptocurrency, stealing personal information leading to fraud and hijacking webcams by tricking users into downloading fake video players.
S C A R E M O N G E R E R

Get BT free due to my sons phone being with EE…and I’ll use Premier only when our games are on...that’s generally discounted too due me changing email addresses with them.

It a pain in the hoop at times trying to remember the automatic renewal dates though.
Not a bad deal then as long as you can remember! Christ knows I wouldn't!

Easily educated, if they are not lazy. I picked it up and I'm 66. My best mate, who's the same age, is 'afraid' of anything 'techie' related and he wasn't long in getting to grips with it. The incentive, in monetary terms, is huge.
What happens if you watch a stream without a VPN ?

What happens if you watch a stream without a VPN ?
At the moment our Home games (provided they are not live on Sky) do not require the use of a VPN. For the Away games and for Home games screened by Sky you need a VPN or to be overseas.

If you try to access a match on RangersTV from the UK that is for overseas only (hence requires a VPN if in the UK) then you get a message saying it’s not available in your location.

At least that’s how it’s supposed to happen.

If you went to Sky the day this is the prices currently -

SkySports & BT Sports - £65
Premier Sports & Box nation - £12.99
Netflix £9.99
Amazon Prime £7.99
DAZN Sports £7.99

£104 odd a month for the above which doesn't include any PPV Boxing or UFC or even Broadband.

Anybody that pays these prices are off their head.

As well paying the wee bit extra for a season ticket.

4k viewing experience.
Interactive features.
Amazing seats.

Add them to your phone's calendar, I do that with everything, set it to remind me at 9am on the day I need to do something

I only subscribe to RTV, everything else I go to one of those sites, and am not ashamed of it one bit, not everyone can afford to pay those stupid prices

If you went to Sky the day this is the prices currently -

SkySports & BT Sports - £65
Premier Sports & Box nation - £12.99
Netflix £9.99
Amazon Prime £7.99
DAZN Sports £7.99

£104 odd a month for the above which doesn't include any PPV Boxing or UFC or even Broadband.

Anybody that pays these prices are off their head.
Absolutely this anybody who pays the full amount really deserve to be fleeced.

If there was a decent offer on the table for all games I’d pay it. It would have to be HD on the telly and a stream if I wanted it.

I think I’d pay £50 a month for all Rangers games and £50 a month for everything else, ie CL, EL, EPL.

Until that happens I’ll just go to Amsterdam for £50 a year.

Sports used to be on Sky. Now it’s on Sky, BT, Amazon, Premier Sports and god knows what else. Outcome; pirating.

The trend is obvious and has been happening for decades; make it affordable and accessible and folk will pay. Take the piss and folk will pirate.

100% agree. Affordability drives this. The only reason illegal streaming exists is because those running sports such as football have touted their product for maximum revenues to multiple broadcasters. They win. The consumer / supporter loses as multiple subscriptions are required.

No one, least of all the broadcasters and leagues, should be surprised by this.

I pay Virgin £88 a month.

I get sky sports , BT sports , and premier , my internet obviously, and a SIM card for my mobile with all the minutes and data I need, a good deal I think?

I can afford it comfortably but I work alot of hours Mon - Fri in the day , early starts, so I don't want to come home and struggle to find a good stream

Music on CD wasn’t easily accessible and usually had to buy an expensive album instead of just the songs you wanted. Outcome: Napster/Limewire pirating.

Along came Spotify/Apple music which made it easier to listen to what you want, and cheaper, and pirating of music has nearly died out.

Movies were so expensive to rent or go to the cinema. Outcome: The Pirate Bay and torrent pirating.

Along came Netflix which made it cheaper and more accessible. Movie pirating was less common. Now though there are Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+… and more. So it’s becoming more expensive and less accessible. No wonder pirating is coming back.

Sports used to be on Sky. Now it’s on Sky, BT, Amazon, Premier Sports and god knows what else. Outcome; pirating.

The trend is obvious and has been happening for decades; make it affordable and accessible and folk will pay. Take the piss and folk will pirate.
Spot on.

I downloaded terabytes of music and movies, while continuing to buy cds, DVDs, concert and movie tickets and merch because it was inaccessible.

Now I subscribe to Spotify and YouTube music (well, YouTube premium for ad-free YouTube and YTM comes with it), along with Netflix, amazon prime and Disney plus.

I seem to spend a lot of time abroad when Rangers are playing, because I pay money to the club, but for non-RTV games I absolutely will look for a stream. I gave up SKY 10 years ago, at the time I was paying £70 a month (including an extra tenner for HD). I currently pay £85 and have more content than I did paying them for their 900 channels of guff.

Incidentally in all my time torrenting and streaming, I've not lost a single penny through scams, nor have any of my devices been infected or 'hacked', so FACT can bite my banger.

Ouch!

As other have pointed out this is absolute lies and scaremongering.

I would never partake in such untoward activities. And I would especially not mention it on here by discretely changing letters around resulting in a ban :oops:

Average profit over a billion a year. Excuse me if I couldn't give a shit how many people illegally stream. There has been many a look into pirating, illegal streams etc and this isn't really lost revenue because most folk if they didn't have the ability to stream won't automatically subscribe to the official channels.

Paid for illegal streams contain none of that, and for what it would cost for a month of Sky and BT sports, amounting to about half of Rangers games. I can have 2 annual subscriptions that fail once a year between them, covering all Rangers games in HD and all the TV I could care to watch worldwide.

I'd happily pay double what I do, if a one stop shop existed to watch Rangers legally and the darts.
But at the moment it would cost me about 20 times as much.

Or I'd need to pay 5 or 6 times as much plus aditional costs to watch RTV as an illegal stream.
It's funny I can't promote the stream I use for the football on here, yet somehow illegal use of RTV seems to be fair play. (*It's counted in the illegal figures, watching content illegally in the UK is an illegal stream)
I second this.

My biggest gripe recently has been having to pay for ‘Sky’s broadband’ due to moving house and Virgin not being available - it’s pish in comparison.

I could actually get a flawless stream of anything I wanted using the hotspot on my phone - but I need the extra bandwidth for the kids Xboxes and more devices in the house.

But like everyone else has said - bring it into an affordable price range and I’m on board.

Otherwise GTF - other things in life are more important for my money to be spent on like heating the house and real life experiences with the kids.

I watch no sport except Rangers.

It would be lunacy on my part to fork out for the full package I'd need to see the Gers. And even then, I couldn't see all of our games.

'Mon the pirates.

There really should be on company that shows our domestic games at least, as we cant control Euro games.

Either that or PPV everygame on the platforms so if you dont have a sub for it you are not too far out of pocket.

Or VPN and RTV all the way!

If you live abroad and buy the annual rtv package, do you have live access to all games in every competition?

would never partake in such a thing

i'm happy to pay £160 per month to the big companies, for a near flawless service that fills all my needs
On top of that you've got 2 or 3 ppv boxing matches per year if your a fan and you've got to travel abroad to watch the 3 o clock kick offs.

I currently have Virgin TV as my main provider . I pay extra for BT . I pay more again for Via ( Premier). I have a RTV subscription so that I can jump across to Europe now and again for our home games and then I have a fail safe dodgy subscription. I always wonder how I would get on if caught watching the dodgy one given that I must be paying close to £200 a month.

I'm sure pirating didn't have as big an affect on movies as it did on others. The thoughts were that people who pirated movies were never going to go to the cinema and see it regardless.
It was more damaging to the DVD market which is a huge part of how movies generate a return for film companies.

The answer is some sort of Sport Hub where fans can pick say:

3 options for £10 - SPL, Serie A and NFL
5 options for £13 - add Formula 1 and La Liga

etc....the providers get a share and the consumer gets a one stop shop.
It should be pay per view for any games that is on TV

All the subscriptions are far too much money.

I much prefer to save my money and go abroad on holiday for games that I don’t have a ticket for and watch it in luxury on RTV.

On a separate note, did you know Nord VPN are official sponsors of the club? I sure like to know my personal data is secure whilst on holiday.

Spot on.

I downloaded terabytes of music and movies, while continuing to buy cds, DVDs, concert and movie tickets and merch because it was inaccessible.

Now I subscribe to Spotify and YouTube music (well, YouTube premium for ad-free YouTube and YTM comes with it), along with Netflix, amazon prime and Disney plus.

I seem to spend a lot of time abroad when Rangers are playing, because I pay money to the club, but for non-RTV games I absolutely will look for a stream. I gave up SKY 10 years ago, at the time I was paying £70 a month (including an extra tenner for HD). I currently pay £85 and have more content than I did paying them for their 900 channels of guff.

Incidentally in all my time torrenting and streaming, I've not lost a single penny through scams, nor have any of my devices been infected or 'hacked', so FACT can bite my banger.
Hope you’re not paying full UK price for YouTube.

VPN, hop on over to Indonesia, set it all up to be paid monthly, works out at something like £2 per month.

There’s possibly a cheaper country but I was happy at £2

Back