" I'm not proud of my behaviour" Colin Stein

Did we havevany chance in the league at the point of his suspension?
I just read we went twenty games unbeaten but I don’t recall any discussion amongst the uncles that it cost us the league
Despite beating the rattlers twice in the league that year I don't think we were consistant enough with too many draws. Our big chance for silverware was defo in the Scottish Cup and we were playing very well at the time. Kelly knew this could well backfire on the rattlers in a one off game and subsequently thats why they banned Stein.

Despite beating the rattlers twice in the league that year I don't think we were consistant enough with too many draws. Our big chance for silverware was defo in the Scottish Cup and we were playing very well at the time. Kelly knew this could well backfire on the rattlers in a one off game and subsequently thats why they banned Stein.
A forty-two days ban was unprecedented at the time. And there was also the conflict of interest angle, which still exists to this day.

The companion has his hat-trick v Arbroath as scored in the 62nd, 63rd and 66th minutes.

Against Hibs as 21st, 55th and 60th minutes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that. I knew someone on here would have the correct info.
I just remember watch the highlights of the Hibs game and a hat-trick
in 4 mins was mentioned. Obviously talking about the previous game.

A forty-two days ban was unprecedented at the time. And there was also the conflict of interest angle, which still exists to this day.
Absolutely and this largely went unchallenged even by Lawrence and the other buffoons that sat on the Rangers board at the time. They (Rattlers) were running scared big time at the thought of what Stein was capable of doing in a cup final.

It was scandalous that the rhat Kelly did not recuse himself from the disciplinary hearing. The conflict of interest was horrendous. Without looking it up I’m sure Rangers were mounting a strong challenge for the title and the lengthy ban meant his season was over. We couldn't recover from the loss of Stein and our title challenge fizzled out. Not forgetting the debacle that was the Cup Final.
Eight points dropped in the last eight games, by contrast we had dropped one point in the previous eight and ended up trailing by five points.

Absolutely and this largely went unchallenged even by Lawrence and the other buffoons that sat on the Rangers board at the time. They (Rattlers) were running scared big time at the thought of what Stein was capable of doing in a cup final.
We had won the previous three games that season. The two league games and the GC semi final.

One maddening thing is that after both leauge wins we dropped a point to Kilmarnock in the very next game. Both 3-3 each draws.

It was scandalous that the rhat Kelly did not recuse himself from the disciplinary hearing. The conflict of interest was horrendous. Without looking it up I’m sure Rangers were mounting a strong challenge for the title and the lengthy ban meant his season was over. We couldn't recover from the loss of Stein and our title challenge fizzled out. Not forgetting the debacle that was the Cup Final.
Celtic absolutely controlled the "masonic" SFA even in these days.

When the Scottish Cup semi-final draw was made, the games naturally had to be played on neutral grounds, and in terms of capacity then, Hampden was the biggest, followed by Ibrox, and Parkhead was third. It's stand only held 4,000, well under half the capacity of the Ibrox main stand.

The draw came out as follows:-

Celtic v Morton
Rangers v Aberdeen

(Aberdeen were a decent side in these days, and actually went on to win the Scottish Cup the following season.)

The obvious venues should have been Rangers v Aberdeen at Hampden, and Celtic v Morton at Ibrox. But no, the SFA insisted on Celtic v Morton at Hampden (crowd of 41,000) and Rangers v Aberdeen at Parkhead (crowd of 66,000). Rangers won 6-1, with Wullie Johnston scoring a hat-trick.

We had won the previous three games that season. The two league games and the GC semi final.

One maddening thing is that after both league wins we dropped a point to Kilmarnock in the very next game. Both 3-3 each draws.
Once again, you are correct.

I would just add that the GC semi-final was at Parkhead, and that in the draw at Rugby Park, Colin Stein was also ordered off along with Billy Dickson of Kilmarnock.

I remember going thru to Easter road (piggery No2) to see the game!
The park was chock a block and it was difficult too see the game so a lot of us climbed up on top of the auld concrete toilet to see the game hanging on too the barbed wire!

Then, the scums supporters came into the toilet singing High B,s, High B,s High B,s
Trying their best to intimidate us poor wee frightened souls???

So, all the Rangers supporters (quite a few) that were clinging on, on top of the toilet pulled out their Willie Johnston,s and let rip with High Pee's, High Pee's, High Pees.
It was like we're all were thinking the same idea?

Best piss I've ever had.......Ah, great memories. We gave them some piss that day!

Last edited:
Celtic absolutely controlled the "masonic" SFA even in these days.

When the Scottish Cup semi-final draw was made, the games naturally had to be played on neutral grounds, and in terms of capacity then, Hampden was the biggest, followed by Ibrox, and Parkhead was third. It's stand only held 4,000, well under half the capacity of the Ibrox main stand.

The draw came out as follows:-

Celtic v Morton
Rangers v Aberdeen

(Aberdeen were a decent side in these days, and actually went on to win the Scottish Cup the following season.)

The obvious venues should have been Rangers v Aberdeen at Hampden, and Celtic v Morton at Ibrox. But no, the SFA insisted on Celtic v Morton at Hampden (crowd of 41,000) and Rangers v Aberdeen at Parkhead (crowd of 66,000). Rangers won 6-1, with Wullie Johnston scoring a hat-trick.
Kelly did recuse himself from the Hearing but his fellow panellists were left in no doubt about his views on what punishment should be applied and they implemented this to the letter. In those days suspensions were calendar based rather than in actual games. Following his ordering off at Kilmarnock in early January Stein was suspended for 21 days. At the same Hearing Willie Johnston got a 14 day suspension. But the weather turned in mid January and pitches froze so many games were postponed. The result was that Stein and Johnston missed no games as all were postponed during the suspension period. Kelly was very angry and let it be known to all and sundry that the next time Stein and Johnston were called before the SFA their suspensions would be doubled to make up for the games they did not miss in January.

Back