I'm Warming To The Jordan Jones Signing

Colinstein69

A player that is a full internationalist, good experience of the league we play in, one of our oppositions best players, free transfer, modest wages, young and hungry, one of us. Why anyone wouldn't see the positives in such a signing is beyond me.

Portrushbear

Put it this way, if we had signed Jones from some European league and had paid a few bob for him, and watched him in the last couple of international games we’d all be excited by it.

That he didn’t always shine in a pretty dour defensive Kilmarnock team is no surprise, but last night against a Belarus side that sat in most of the time and allowed Northern Ireland to come at them he looked very effective, which go’s against the theory that he won’t be able to do it against a ‘low block’.
Exactly, if he were called jonesinovic and coming from the Killie equivalent from a baltic league this place would be creaming itself

brain

Very low risk signing, i camn't see how anyone can complain about it really
We have a number of decent squad filler type players but need a small number of higher quality players to take us to the next level imo. Personally I'd have preferred to go down that route with Middleton/Hastie getting a chance on the bench.

Portrushbear

We have a number of decent squad filler type players but need a small number of higher quality players to take us to the next level imo. Personally I'd have preferred to go down that route with Middleton/Hastie getting a chance on the bench.
Do you ever think we are building the squad with these low cost low risk signings because our budget could be used to bring in 1 or 2 high quality signings later in the window?

brain

Do you ever think we are building the squad with these low cost low risk signings because our budget could be used to bring in 1 or 2 high quality signings later in the window?
I think Ojo and Stewart will be the final additions in the attacking midfield position.

Drumchapel-Bear

Exactly, if he were called jonesinovic and coming from the Killie equivalent from a baltic league this place would be creaming itself
Just look at the reaction on here to the highlight reels of Grezda when we signed him. You'd have thought we had signed Messi and no doubt you could compile a Youtube vid of JJ that would make him look even better.

brain

Just look at the reaction on here to the highlight reels of Grezda when we signed him. You'd have thought we had signed Messi and no doubt you could compile a Youtube vid of JJ that would make him look even better.
Grezda‘s highlights reel is more impressive because his problem isn’t ability. Some people seem to think he’s a rubbish player but that is, well, rubbish. Jones won’t have any problem settling in though.

Big Buff

Grezda‘s highlights reel is more impressive because his problem isn’t ability. Some people seem to think he’s a rubbish player but that is, well, rubbish. Jones won’t have any problem settling in though.
I'm not really sure how Grezda wins his one-on-one matchups.

Mostly because I haven't seen enough of him.

cornholio

Need to wait until I see him for Rangers. He has been excellent for a Killie team that can play on the counter. He has been excellent for a Northern Ireland team that can play on the counter.

How effective will he be at home to St Johnstone when they have 10 men behind the ball and happy to settle for a 0-0? Time will tell and that's the difference between players that can make it at Rangers and players that cant. Some of the signings that have failed at Ibrox just couldn't grasp that, whereas others who have maybe not had as much talent have grasped it and flourished.

Would love JJ to work out, just don't want to put too much pressure on him as you know what FF is like for baying hordes.
He sounds perfect for difficult games in Europe

ICA_86

What’s he like for Rangers though, that’s what’s important - and so far, rubbish is kind.

Crispy Bacon

After watching him closely in the last few N.Ireland games, I'm beginning to see what Gerrard sees in him.

I've watched him struggle consistently against Tav, who hasn't right enough, but I've got to say he's looked a very talented winger in his past few internationals.

He's been going past full backs, inside or outside, with ease and has got excellent delivery with either foot.

He's certainly not going to start for us every week, particularly if we continue with the Xmas tree formation we finished the season with.

However, there will be games when his ability to beat a man in tight situations will be a huge asset against deep lying defensive teams at Ibrox.

Definitely gives us another good option in certain games.
Shhhhh!

The Football Manager Loyal have already deemed him pish, you’re not allowed to be excited about SPL prospects!

El Buble

Not sure if he is technically one of us mate.

Born in england and a Boro fan as a lad.

Watching him recently though I dont think attitude or application will be an issue with him.

Watched him last night and was dangerous going forward but there was a point in the game around 80+ minutes where belarus were attacking down their right wing and their winger/fullback was favourite to get the ball and was just about to whip a cross in from a dangerous position and jones flew in with a slide tackle a fullback would have been proud of to take the ball.

Quietly impressed with him.

He is also a Rangers fan from his father who is from very good stock trust me.

Mjolnir

The only reaction I had to the signing was likely a small shrug.

He ticks some on the boxes, but not enough to get the heart racing.
However, fair play to him is he has impressed the gaffer enough to give him a chance.

Its a different ball game at Rangers where good players can learn to be great, but great players can also crumble to s**t.

Best of luck to him. If he's a success, we must be winning and we'll all be happy.

baystatebear

I suspect that Jones will turn out to be a big positive for Rangers. Unfortunately, I also suspect that when he does play and makes a mistake - as even the best players do - that a chorus of negativity will pour down on him from the '...I told you he wasn't Rangers class...'mob.

gmacdon76

Lets wait until we see him in a Rangers jersey. Not too many of us were following through into our boxers over signing Kamara but what a player he's turned out to be...

He is doing well internationally and has done well at Killie also but playing for Rangers where expectations are somewhat higher will be a test for him. We can’t afford many signings who we know will handle playing for us therefore we will just need to wait and see. We require the management team to get a lot more of these signings correct than not if we are to continue improving. Cautiously optimistic loyal.

Laudo.

After watching him closely in the last few N.Ireland games, I'm beginning to see what Gerrard sees in him.

I've watched him struggle consistently against Tav, who hasn't right enough, but I've got to say he's looked a very talented winger in his past few internationals.

He's been going past full backs, inside or outside, with ease and has got excellent delivery with either foot.

He's certainly not going to start for us every week, particularly if we continue with the Xmas tree formation we finished the season with.

However, there will be games when his ability to beat a man in tight situations will be a huge asset against deep lying defensive teams at Ibrox.

Seriously, who do you think you are, coming on here with your positivity and common sense ?

Get a grip.

dynamo_rosco

I've seen it said that he might not be as effective when teams sit in against us at home. I actually think that would be playing right into his hands judging by the way he plays. Very interested to see how he progresses with us.

TQ3

Totally agree OP, he looks very lively and goes either way, which is a great asset. Im actually looking forward to see him play now, where as I wasn’t that impressed when it was announced that he signed.
Good point about his experience on a placky pitch, that could be crucial.

mr_snrub

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can bring, I think he may surprise a few. To be honest the "expectations of playing for Rangers" argument is a busted flush. It's true that many players can't handle it, and Jones may even prove to be one of them, but what's the alternative? Players who are use to the pressure of winning every game and playing at home to 50k are either 1) out of our price range or 2) over the hill. We need to give guys like jones a chance.

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Middleton needs a season or 2 on loan for me.

Rudolph Hucker

I know almost literally nothing about him, but this signing is an absolute no-brainer:

He’s still reasonably young so is still developing and we’ve already seen what Rangers’ coaching team has done for Kent & Morelos

No xfer fee and relatively low wages I’d imagine. But if he’s hungry enough and performs then we’ve shown with Morelos that we are prepared to reward players if they step up.

Knows the SPFL and style of play. As a result, he’ll also know something of the demands of being a Rangers player so it shouldn’t come as a complete shock to him.

I really hope he does well because this is exactly the kind of signing we need to be making a habit and success of. Buy cheap, develop and benefit from a few seasons then sell for a fat profit. Repeat. And if it doesn’t work out then no real harm done. Low risk and potentially high reward. Best of luck to him, hope he’s a Kamara and not a Lafferty!

WATP3006

Signings like Jones, Stewart & Hastie are sensible and good value for money.

Last season we constantly struggled to break down packed defences. These 3 can offer something different.

It’s also a long season and it’s important to have a big squad.

Let’s just be positive and get behind them.
Spot on.

Hastie and Jones on either wing would cause most defences in Scotland problems, if we went with wingers.

We are going to have plenty of options and it will be up to the players to take their opportunities. For the first time in a while our squad is going to have strength and depth.

Polar bear

Way too early to say he certainly won't start every game for us MU.
He may just be a revelation for us.Im pretty sure he will be way more productive than Kent also.:)

Polar bear

His stats suggest he's more than ready to be on the bench imo, 1 goal and assist less than Kent from less than a 3rd of the game time. But that's a discussion for another thread I suppose.
I was really hoping that we would let Kent go back to Liverpool,and let Middleton/Jones/Murphy
Do the job for us.We would certainly get more goals/assists out of thoes three.

Portrushbear

I was really hoping that we would let Kent go back to Liverpool,and let Middleton/Jones/Murphy
Do the job for us.We would certainly get more goals/assists out of thoes three.
While Kent doesn't necessarily light the world up with stats

It's his movement and willingness to run and move defenders about that creates space for the likes of Arfield to get in behind teams that makes me rate him higher than the likes of Middleton etc

Polar bear

While Kent doesn't necessarily light the world up with stats

It's his movement and willingness to run and move defenders about that creates space for the likes of Arfield to get in behind teams that makes me rate him higher than the likes of Middleton etc
"Movement and Willingness" is all very pretty,but the end product is what I am looking for,and
Kent certainly doesn't do it often enough.Middleton always is a threat to score or make something happen.:)

brain

If he can adapt to our new formation and play narrower, then who knows?
Movement and Willingness" is all very pretty,but the end product is what I am looking for
I tend to view players the same way @Polar bear. I don't see Jones suiting the more central position in the 4-3-2-1. He is similar in style to Kent from what I have seen, mostly about pace and being direct but not so much creative passing or goalscoring.

Portrushbear

"Movement and Willingness" is all very pretty,but the end product is what I am looking for,and
Kent certainly doesn't do it often enough.Middleton always is a threat to score or make something happen.:)
Yeah, he doesn't directly create chances but he causes many more problems for defenders than Middleton does and I believe we capitalise more on that than his stats would show

Football is not the NFL and you simply can't judge players on stats alone

bearmind

It is a real pity that the left back Jamal Lewis of Norwich and Northern Ireland is well out of our financial range. The link up play and understanding that he has with Jordan Jones is superb for the limited time they have played together. On Northern Ireland form Jones is looking impressive and a good asset.

Polar bear

I tend to view players the same way @Polar bear. I don't see Jones suiting the more central position in the 4-3-2-1. He is similar in style to Kent from what I have seen, mostly about pace and being direct but not so much creative passing or goalscoring.
How many goals /assists did Kent get for a full
season starting ? :rolleyes: