Impressive tactical changes by PSV 2nd half

TPP

They had to combat Davis and lundstrum and pushed a lot tighter against them, they also forced the ball out to sands and borna time and again with how they closed the space between Goldson and tav and cut out that danger.

I said before the season but we are physically much weaker. Sands is never a CH, he did okay tonight again I thought but hes miles away from imposing himself on an attack. Goldson is facing to much pressure without a proper CH beside him and it’s showing. We’ve regressed massively and it was a huge mistake not keeping Leon.

we have a big problem in the squad and how small it is and the huge lack of physicality And power.The new left back looks almost comical in stature, although could be a wonder star who knows we need to give him time. Davies big criticism and the stats seem to back it up is he was perceived as soft down south, lack of aerial ability.

at set plays last year Aribo made a huge difference at both ends. It’s astonishing how weak we are now, and psv tactically exploited it.

Tillman looks able to replace Aribo’s ability in the air at set pieces. In fact I’d be confident in him actually being an improvement in that respect pretty quickly.

Baffled by this. There's a big difference in having a free header at a ball and covering the defence and getting in front of defenders.

I think theres a decent degree of accuracy in your OP plus the pace we've lost out the team.

They had to combat Davis and lundstrum and pushed a lot tighter against them, they also forced the ball out to sands and borna time and again with how they closed the space between Goldson and tav and cut out that danger.

I said before the season but we are physically much weaker. Sands is never a CH, he did okay tonight again I thought but hes miles away from imposing himself on an attack. Goldson is facing to much pressure without a proper CH beside him and it’s showing. We’ve regressed massively and it was a huge mistake not keeping Leon.

we have a big problem in the squad and how small it is and the huge lack of physicality And power.The new left back looks almost comical in stature, although could be a wonder star who knows we need to give him time. Davies big criticism and the stats seem to back it up is he was perceived as soft down south, lack of aerial ability.

at set plays last year Aribo made a huge difference at both ends. It’s astonishing how weak we are now, and psv tactically exploited it.

The highlighted sentence made me laugh, all over the place :))

We'd have been alright if Goldson had remembered he's a CH and attacked the ball at both goals. You cannot really legislate for those errors.

PSV did better in the second half. BUT credit to Gio to picking the right tactics/team to dominate the first half.

IMO Sands was good, composed and solid. But i do agree he is not a natural CH which makes his performances in that position all the MORE impressive.

I dont agree with the squad being to small. I like physicality however skill, speed and agility with trump that every time.

We had great physicality during Smiths tenure which undoubtedly was highly successful domestically, however lacked the adaptability to deliver on the European stage at time and were exposed

Last edited:
he was covering for sands to many times. He had to engage every single time for The sake of the team. Sands having the majority of ball and playing to borna 400 times was exactly how psv managed the game.
I don’t know who he is supposed to pass to if the midfield aren’t showing for it. He could ping a long pointless ball forward like Goldson, but I haven’t seen that working for a while.

Why he's scored two headers very recently. Hardly a leap to say he might be a better header of the ball than Aribo

If you looked at the headers he won they were hardly set pieces...they were crosses were he was unmarked....Aribo got across defenders and also defended corners....Tillman hasn't shown that and imo won't show that. He lacks Aribo physicality and pace also.

Not to say the boy isn't talented he clearly is but he's not an Aribo style player.

The set up at corners is a farce. We went from barely losing a goal at corners to them all being a lottery.

And going against popular belief on here, its not because of the keeper. Its because nobody seems to know WTF they are meant to be doing.
Keeper should have made a decision to come for that. Help his defence. He is capable. Bad decision making.

If you looked at the headers he won they were hardly set pieces...they were crosses were he was unmarked....Aribo got across defenders and also defended corners....Tillman hasn't shown that and imo won't show that. He lacks Aribo physicality and pace also.

Not to seethe boy isn't talented he clearly is but he's not an Aribo style player.
He didn't say Tillman was better, just that he was confident he would be better at heading. It's no really baffling. Guy can leap and has a very good header

The set up at corners is a farce. We went from barely losing a goal at corners to them all being a lottery.

And going against popular belief on here, its not because of the keeper. Its because nobody seems to know WTF they are meant to be doing.
We miss the keeper, we miss his organisational skills at set pieces and screaming the %^*& at the defenders to position correctly.

What do you mean by Davies being perceived of soft?

Is it just me or is the Sands debate already boring this season... He's still developing and those who like him will pick out the positives and ignore the mistakes and those that don't like him will do the opposite.

He is our 4th/5th choice CB, he should not be in a debate with Balogun - we brought in Souttar and Davies to replace him - if anything the question should be should we have kept him instead of those 2.

I liked Balogun but some people seem to be forgetting he could be exposed against better players and had plenty of injuries himself.

PSV did better in the first half. BUT credit to Gio to picking the right tactics/team to dominate the first half.

IMO Sands was good, composed and solid. But i do agree he is not a natural CH which makes his performances in that position all the MORE impressive.

I dont agree with the squad being to small. I like physicality however skill, speed and agility with trump that every time.

We had great physicality during Smiths tenure which undoubtedly was highly successful domestically, however lacked the adaptability to deliver on the European stage at time and were exposed
Sands wasn’t solid, I don’t want to critic him, he shouldn’t be in that role in the first place. Physicality is also about power and speed Not just height. The new left back has zero And we’ve astonishingly spunked millions on him. Our team were at times massively overpowered. The difference was huge.

I agree OP. We definitely look less physical this term and unfortunately we seem to also be more focussed on playing long passes.

One the few occasions we have linked passes together we have ripped through teams.

Hopefully as the squad gels we will see more direct passing to feet and a little more risk taking into midfield and attach

Sands wasn’t solid, I don’t want to critic him, he shouldn’t be in that role in the first place. Physicality is also about power and speed Not just height. The new left back has zero And we’ve astonishingly spunked millions on him. Our team were at times massively overpowered. The difference was huge.
Sands was good tonight. I will watch the game again and see if i missed something. But i will have to agree to disagree tonight.

My opinion is Sands is

1. A good reader of the game.

2. Comfortable and composed in possession

3. Happy to attack the ball.

Good conbo IMO

Sands is absolutely doing his best and arguably punching above his weight but I agree a couple of times he just got caught out/beat in central defensive areas in straight forward balls.....that is eventually catching up with us......

Missing aribo for sure.

Sands was good tonight. I will watch the game again and see if i missed something. But i will have to agree to disagree tonight.

My opinion is Sands is

1. A good reader of the game.

2. Comfortable and composed in possession

3. Happy to attack the ball.

Good conbo IMO

I thought he was okay, and it’s not his fault he did his best. Next week they will allow him the ball again and focus on Tav and Goldson to stop us. We are incredibly reliant on Tav and Goldson to positively influence our entire game and still haven’t fixed this.

how many of they passes were to the side to goldson or barisic or tav then back to him or goldson

the full passing around the backline is tiresome and kills our attack
Tbh he was trying to play through their press a lot to Davis and lundstrum so he wasn't actually negative passes or always safe passes problem is their midfield shut the gaps down and we couldn't get over through their midfield

how many of they passes were to the side to goldson or barisic or tav then back to him or goldson

Got to agree,not just Sands but it isn't a crime to go long now and again and try and turn their defenders,too much fannying about at the back which ends up putting us under pressure.
We had a throw in about 25 yards from their goal,ended up away back in our half,why not mix it up and launch it into their box for a flick on.

Every team we play presses the ball to our right footed centre half playing on the left hand side. We need Davies or Helander in there for balance.

We are too slow in the build up from the keeper.

Just a vignette late in the second half, but McLaughlan rolls it to Sands, who squares it to Goldson, who takes a touch and promptly rolls it back to Sands. In the meantime, PSV have pressed forward and it results in a panic pass under pressure from Sands.

We are too slow and indecisive in the build up not just tonight, but even domestically, we need to be slicker and quicker.

Hopefully we address this, if it's obvious to someone like me, it is to Geo and his staff.

To be positive, I believe we can do this in Eindhoven, we have a spirit about us that will shock PSV

You can't blame Sands for that ffs, it's quite clearly being coached into the defence

We are too slow in the build up from the keeper.

Just a vignette late in the second half, but McLaughlan rolls it to Sands, who squares it to Goldson, who takes a touch and promptly rolls it back to Sands. In the meantime, PSV have pressed forward and it results in a panic pass under pressure from Sands.

We are too slow and indecisive in the build up not just tonight, but even domestically, we need to be slicker and quicker.

Hopefully we address this, if it's obvious to someone like me, it is to Geo and his staff.

To be positive, I believe we can do this in Eindhoven, we have a spirit about us that will shock PSV

We are so slow at taking throws as well, nearly always backwards too.

Back