In a world where King started with us from the bottom and we had a better coach/football set up.

By stating that I don't believe our youth team was good enough to get us out of the lower leagues, that makes it a strange post? You'll need to explain that to me.

it’s strange that you want to look back at pereceived mismanagement 5 years ago in a week where we will be on a cup
Final.
What’s the point apart from dragging up old news

it’s strange that you want to look back at pereceived mismanagement 5 years ago in a week where we will be on a cup
Final.
What’s the point apart from dragging up old news
Are you for real? The thread is literally full of people commenting and you pick out my posts to call strange? I want to look back at perceived mismanagement? I didn't start the topic, I merely replied with my opinion. Singling out my post, now that's strange.

We had a set of people involved at all levels in the club who were only interested in extracting as much money out of it as possible, to the detriment of everything else. Whilst it's nice to think 'what if' I don't see any real purpose to it.

We had a set of people involved at all levels in the club who were only interested in extracting as much money out of it as possible, to the detriment of everything else. Whilst it's nice to think 'what if' I don't see any real purpose to it.

What's the point in anyone posting on a message board, tis mostly to waste a day at work, little else comes from it....

I've often thought the same thing. The idea of starting again with mostly youths and a few seasoned professionals and then emerging at the end with them battle hardened is a sound one. The problem was McCoist was too lazy to put the work in.
Not sure it was lazy rather more he lacked the skills.

Yes but you may as well say what if Qatari oil families (or whatever they are) bought us instead of City.

Have some more fun with it.

Ehmm aye maybe, kind of the joy of a forum though eh - folks get to say what they want, speak about they want etc - bosh on with that chat etc if you see fit.

There's a fair bit of hindsight going on here though. We know they've gone on to be top players but remember they signed for Hibs (in the championship) and Dundee Utd at the time and Robertson had been released from the scum. It's not like it was obvious that they'd have gone on to become the players they have.

Fair bit of hindshite you mean surely.

It’s east to say McCoist shouldvr players kids but we needed to get up through the leagues ASAP. It’s possible we could’ve done it wit kids but equally we may not have. Our players were being kicked all over the park and we could’ve ended a few young careers or just not have the physicality to push through. We’ll never know but it’s easy to say we could have should have. We’re going for the most important league title in our history and the arguments the same. Imaging we just play a few kids and drop away in the league? Nobody will say “that’s fine because we played some kids” it would be a failure no matter what.

Are you for real? The thread is literally full of people commenting and you pick out my posts to call strange? I want to look back at perceived mismanagement? I didn't start the topic, I merely replied with my opinion. Singling out my post, now that's strange.

apologies KB my comments were aimed at the OP !

I've often thought the same thing. The idea of starting again with mostly youths and a few seasoned professionals and then emerging at the end with them battle hardened is a sound one. The problem was McCoist was too lazy to put the work in.
How many times has this formula failed in competitive matches in both Scotland and elsewhere?

Edit: this was typed hours ago!

Last edited:
The sad truth is that we would never have grown in the way the OP envisions until Ally was punted.clAnd the majority of our fan base would have refused to allow that to happen until we got to the Championship and began struggling .

Ally is my hero and stands alongside the greatest of Rangers but he was a catastrophically bad manager.

You would require general intelligence, organisation and football know how to cultivate a team of yoofs through the lower leagues - we didn’t have management with these skills

All conjecture obviously, but a King led Rangers with McCoist as manager could easily have achieved great things.

we were absolutely flying in the League under McCoist till the sh*t hit the fan off the field.

no other manager in Rangers history has had to or likely ever will have to face those circumstances. Subsequent year will prove McCoist couldn’t cut it, however he was operating under a board who sold everything that wasn’t nailed down and at one point was happy to give up league titles for an easier ride.

anyway, had King taken over at the time, we’d probably have won the CL by now....

We theoretically could have had a very good core of players if a coach had been able to sell a solid vision, is that fair to say?

I appreciate it might have been difficult to attract and identify these players but it does offer a glimpse of what slipped through the net, or markets we could still be exploring at least?

The obvious being Robertson, McGinn who was achievable when leaving St Mirren he went to Hibs, Allen, McLean, Shankland and in another scenario possibly even Christie.

This isn't a way to dwell on the past, it was more just a look back at our future and a theoretical how it could and should have been even despite the kick in the balls we took.

With correct investment that period could have been a lot more enjoyable than it was.

***this isn't even just a way as to kick the shit out of McCoist either as it is easy to say things with hindsight.
Ffs get out more....

I know it’s hypothetical, but the only time King and co. could realistically have gained control of the club before they did would have been if they’d managed to head Whyte off at the pass, and even then there seems to have been bank related skullduggery to ensure that never happened.

But if they’d managed to get in there before Green - unlikely given the nefarious machinations that went on post admin - would we have put a better team on the park?

I actually think the answer is no.

King was very supportive of McCoist and I think would have given him as long as he got anyway to get it right - we did romp through the bottom two divisions remember.

Only once he failed in the Championship would that have changed, which again is what happened, at which point King and co. did gain control of the club and had a series of false starts under Warburton, Caixinha, Murty and a botched attempt to lure McInnes away from Aberdeen before hitting payday with Gerrard.

So in short, no, I think it would have panned out more or less the way it did.

Last edited:
All conjecture obviously, but a King led Rangers with McCoist as manager could easily have achieved great things.

we were absolutely flying in the League under McCoist till the sh*t hit the fan off the field.

no other manager in Rangers history has had to or likely ever will have to face those circumstances. Subsequent year will prove McCoist couldn’t cut it, however he was operating under a board who sold everything that wasn’t nailed down and at one point was happy to give up league titles for an easier ride.

anyway, had King taken over at the time, we’d probably have won the CL by now....

McCoist's side blew the league long before Whyte's arrival. Ally f#cked it up all on his own.

Latest posts

Back