In Alfie and big Colak, we have to exceptional goal scoring threats. How does Gio utilise both in the same team.

blueismycolour

Official Ticketer
Personally, I'd like to see both start against Hibs tomorrow. Not the ideal opponents granted and it might still be a bit too early of Alfie. So a bit of a hypothetical question, but we need to get this partnership up and running. The two of them terrorising the oppositions defence is something I very much look forward to, but how do we go about.

A 4, 4, 2 formation and some like the following.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

I doubt it, a 4,4,2 formation is not going to happen any time soon.

So the question is.

How does Gio utilise both players in the same team?

Only way I could see it is Alfie playing narrow off the right hand side. He likes to drift into that space anyway. The advantage of that is that it also frees up the wing for Tav to drive into.

Someone asked him in a press conference about playing the two of them and he looked a bit perplexed by the question… just saying that he doesn’t think he has ever played with 2 strikers.

It’s just not the done thing now with the advent of wide-playing forwards who also come inside to score goals.

Like others, I doubt we'll see them start together too often. And I don't think we should upset the balance of the team to try and do so either.

Personally, I'd like to see both start against Hibs tomorrow. Not the ideal opponents granted and it might still be a bit too early of Alfie. So a bit of a hypothetical question, but we need to get this partnership up and running. The two of them terrorising the oppositions defence is something I very much look forward to, but how do we go about.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

So the question is.

I’d like to see it just for the fun of it. Could do against a much weaker team than Hibs though just to see. It’ll probably work as a 4-1-3-2 set up.

He won't, I honestly do not think we will see them ever play together.
Cetainly not at the start of games. Maybe if we are struggling late on.

Would imagine Gio will go strongest team tomorrow, and hope to be able to make changes later in game to prepare for Wednesday.

I’d like to see it just for the fun of it. Could do against a much weaker team than Hibs though just to see. It’ll probably work as a 4-1-3-2 set up.
If it were to happen it would be like this and not 442. Would be interested to see it but I still don’t think people understand how well drilled we are tactically in the way we currently play. Would take months to get to that level with a new setup involving two strikers.

If both are fit and on form the prospect of Morelos linking with Tillman is an exciting one.
I think Morelos’s strength and goalscoring sometimes masks the fact he is a quick thinker and is good at interlinking and making neat, telling passes.
I definitely believe he and Colak could be successful together.

Someone asked him in a press conference about playing the two of them and he looked a bit perplexed by the question… just saying that he doesn’t think he has ever played with 2 strikers.

It’s just not the done thing now with the advent of wide-playing forwards who also come inside to score goals.

In that case we really do have to hope that the wide players step up with some goals. At this stage I see more goals coming from whoever plays centre in the "three" behind the single striker, be that Tillman or Lawrence unless the latter is played wide right.

If it were to happen it would be like this and not 442. Would be interested to see it but I still don’t think people understand how well drilled we are tactically in the way we currently play. Would take months to get to that level with a new setup involving two strikers.
I agree. That’s why I said do against a weak team when possible and for fun. A standard 4-4-2 wouldn’t really work well, glad you agree 4-1-3-2 would be ideal as that can also change 4-2-3-1 or a 3-5-2. Would be fun to see, not getting my hopes up though as Gio doesn’t like 2 strikers, but Buff I reckon could play as a wide player coming in and also as goal scorer.

I don’t really know loads though. So could be all shite :)

Least he's willing to consider it.

Won't play with two strikers but will continue with zonal marking which us an absolute disaster waiting to happen.
Zonal defending only works if your players know what they are doing, and are brave/smart enough to carry out their jobs.

Clearly we have players who don't do their jobs, and that's not always the players who get the blame from supporters.

I'm sure he'd put 2 strikers on in the last 15 minutes if we are losing, but otherwise it would upset the systems they have trained.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

So the question is.

He wont

He will only play them both bringing one off the bench if we’re chasing a game. Won’t play them both together.

No one on here has ever really explained why you cant play with 2 centres or even 4-4-2, its just aye well ur stuck in the 90s i watch epl and know the game and its outdated.... not saying it has to happen all the time but i do believe 2 strikers makes getting on the end of crosses and scoring goals a bit easier and gives our opponents more to think/ worry about.

They do seem as though they could form a very good partnership and grab somewhere near 20 goals each.

More and more of these clubs are just going to crowd the box as its such a tough tactic to play against and with our defence they know one break or even a set play can result in an undeserved opener. The isolated forward in a crowded penalty box with our defenders passing round at the back is an awful tactic for Rangers in our league and it makes little difference to me what managers that have never been In Scotland say on the subject.

If Gio has decided he does not fancy it then its his call but i think hes wrong.

I actually think a lot of opposition teams wouldn't be able to cope with a 4-4-2 these days.

The CB's would absolutely panic against 2 strikers.
It would depend on the quality and athleticism of your 2 Central midfielders, but I think it would be worth trying later in some games to put the cat amongst the pigeons for the last 20-25 minutes.

Don’t think he will and don’t think we have to either

We play enough games a season to keep both getting enough minutes

And for the first time since signing here Alfie has someone who looks robust/available and ready to push him on

People crying out for the 442 seem to forget our team is quite fluid anyway I think the emergence of Tillman has solved a problem and Lawrence who seems to be able to score quite freely as well.
I do not think we expected Tillman to offer so much so early on.

He wont and he has already said as much.

Regardless, I'd be really interested in seeing Colak as the focal point 9 and Morelos playing off the right. I think it ticks a lot of boxes - Alfie does some of his best work out there plus coming inside gives more space for Tav to exploit. Colak has shown that he can link well with the wide players in the front 3 so I think it could work. Arguably though, the ideal man to play that role would be Roofe...

Sound like Mike bassett a bit but can we not just play 442 like the good old days you never get striking partnerships these days.

No one on here has ever really explained why you cant play with 2 centres or even 4-4-2, its just aye well ur stuck in the 90s i watch epl and know the game and its outdated.... not saying it has to happen all the time but i do believe 2 strikers makes getting on the end of crosses and scoring goals a bit easier and gives our opponents more to think/ worry about.

They do seem as though they could form a very good partnership and grab somewhere near 20 goals each.

More and more of these clubs are just going to crowd the box as its such a tough tactic to play against and with our defence they know one break or even a set play can result in an undeserved opener. The isolated forward in a crowded penalty box with our defenders passing round at the back is an awful tactic for Rangers in our league and it makes little difference to me what managers that have never been In Scotland say on the subject.

If Gio has decided he does not fancy it then its his call but i think hes wrong.

It is difficult because the majority of teams we play against will play with a tight midfield 3 (or 5). If we go 442 with wingers you are massively outnumbered in the middle of the park. Even piss poor teams in our league will exploit a 3v2. It worked when EVERY team played 442 but that's not going to happen.

4-3-3 gets the best out of our best players. Tavernier, Kent, and, before injury, Morelos.

Least he's willing to consider it.

Won't play with two strikers but will continue with zonal marking which us an absolute disaster waiting to happen.

I'm sure he has considered it before reaching the conclusion that it's better to play with 1 striker. We might not like it that one of two great striking options will be on the bench but don't think it's helpful to make out that it's a decision based on ignorance.

Sound like Mike bassett a bit but can we not just play 442 like the good old days you never get striking partnerships these days.

A flat 442 is dead while the majority of teams are playing 3 central midfielders. You can maybe get away with a diamond in midfield but you're leaving yourself exposed in wider areas.

If a team wants to play with 2 strikers they really need to sacrifice a defender to ensure they're not overrun in midfield. A back 3 is the only viable way to play with a front 2 nowadays.

Fully fit Morelos is still the main man for me, Colak is more than capable though and offers something a bit different that we’ve needed for a while. Good problem to have.

Regardless of how many goals Colak scores from now until Morelos is fully fit, Morelos is our first choice striker and will rightly start ahead of Colak

Play Colak as the penalty box striker and let alfie play behind him allowing to roam to either side and annoying defenders which is what does. Would be a great attacking option. Gio is a defending type of manager and likes a midfield to sit back but Alfie behind Colak for me would create chances for both.

This is the first time since Walter’s second spell where we now appear to have genuine options up top

In recent years it’s been Morelos but Colak has now got up and running with goals and ultimately goals win games.

I was certain once Morelos is fit he’d be the nailed on starter but I think Gio really rates Colak, especially his work rate and clinical finishing. Now I’m not so sure Morelos will be the guaranteed starter.

On the OP question, I don’t think Morelos likes playing with a striker. Gerrard tried it a couple of times and it just didn’t work IMO

It is difficult because the majority of teams we play against will play with a tight midfield 3 (or 5). If we go 442 with wingers you are massively outnumbered in the middle of the park. Even piss poor teams in our league will exploit a 3v2. It worked when EVERY team played 442 but that's not going to happen.

4-3-3 gets the best out of our best players. Tavernier, Kent, and, before injury, Morelos.
But you dont need to go 4-4-2 with 2 wingers, you can pick midfielders or 1 wide player, you also have 2 defenders that play further forward as well, we often end up trying to win or control a huge area of the pitch the opposition have surrendered anyway. All they care about is making sure we dont have the ball in their box and with 1 up front completely isolated v 4 or 5 defenders the strikers job can become impossible. He needs support.

It just depends on the fixture or circumatances, obviously Hibs or Aberdeen away is more difficult than Killie or Ross at home.

They are totally different players. Morelos will be first choice. Colak second I imagine, ahead of Roofe, but will get plenty of time. Rarely will they play together and virtually never start together.

Back