In East Berlin - Jim Baxter, Eric Caldow, Max Murray and Bobby Shearer

mdingwall

Administrator

Posted by Ian Murray on Facebook

Might be of interest to older Rangers fans. Found this at my Uncle’s house today.
Photo was taken in East Berlin.
Left to right:
Jim Baxter, Eric Caldow, my Uncle Max Murray & Bobby Shearer.
Rangers played away to Vorwaerts Berlin on 15th November 1961 in European Cup. They won 2-1.

believe this club is still going to this day, playing under the name 1. FC Frankfurt in the 5th tier.

we won the game at Ibrox 4-1. The return game was played in Malmo.

The return tie was played in Malmo.

The UK government refused to give the East Germans visas. It was decided to play the return game in neutral Sweden.

A first game was abandoned because of fog. Rangers were winning 2-0 at the time of the abandonment.

Rangers won 4-1 the next day.

EDIT
The abandoned game ended 1-0 to Rangers.

Last edited:
Thanks. Doubt that place has changed much since then.

Potentially a great stadium but just seems a bit neglected.
Funnily enough, I was in Berlin 3wks ago and took a walk up to the stadium. Main building is very Eastern Bloc and run down but the rest of the ground isn’t too bad.

It is due some real investment over next few years. Viktoria Berlin currently use it for 3Liga games but BFC Dynamo (Dynamo Berlin) have moved back to their spiritual home.

I got in and got some great photos of the place.

The return tie was played in

The UK government refused to give the East Germans visas. It was decided to play the return game in neutral Sweden.

A first game was abandoned because of fog. Rangers were winning 2-0 at the time of the abandonment.

The cold war biting in right there

No ties for Mr Baxter and Caldow!
Are they going to take out the bins?
Disgracefully low standards, I hope Mr Symon docked their pay by a few shillings.

All joking aside, a great picture, is that a street name in the background?
Computer literate posters could possibly look up the same location today via some internet jiggery pokery.

Last edited:
Disgracefully low standards, I hope Mr Simon docked their pay by a few shillings.

Computer literate posters could possibly look up the same location today via some internet jiggery pokery.
The only thing maps throws up is a leafy lane type street, with that name. Who knows????? Mibbees aye.........:)

East Berlin must have been some sight back then.
It was a super-interesting place - I have vivid memories of visiting and black-market exchange rates / nothing to buy, very limited food in restaurants, people whispering to you in the street such that the conversation wasn't overheard. All a bit sad but visiting was a real adventure.

Funnily enough, I was in Berlin 3wks ago and took a walk up to the stadium. Main building is very Eastern Bloc and run down but the rest of the ground isn’t too bad.

It is due some real investment over next few years. Viktoria Berlin currently use it for 3Liga games but BFC Dynamo (Dynamo Berlin) have moved back to their spiritual home.

Been talking about demolishing for the last couple of years.

Was it Willie Henderson's debut?

Streets & houses remind me of my last visit to East Berlin circa Mid 1990's after wall was down. Picture reminds me of my early Rangers hero's....

Were winning 1-0 Willie Henderson goal.

Posted by Ian Murray on Facebook

Might be of interest to older Rangers fans. Found this at my Uncle’s house today.
Photo was taken in East Berlin.
Left to right:
Jim Baxter, Eric Caldow, my Uncle Max Murray & Bobby Shearer.
Rangers played away to Vorwaerts Berlin on 15th November 1961 in European Cup. They won 2-1.

Awesome post and superb photo.
Thanks for sharing this

Disgracefully low standards, I hope Mr Symon docked their pay by a few shillings.

gn16.png

Max was great striker his goal ratio per game one of the best at the club. Was really unlucky got injured and Jimmy Millar took over and started banging in the goals the rest is history. Max Scored the the first goal in European football for us as well.

Freidrichstraße was the main drag (along with Stalinalle) in the East.

My friends stay just beside the Mauer Park, where the stadium is, cracking part of town.

Wonderful photo.

Did you see any more stadiums? I went to a game at Tasmania, really cool.

My dad was stationed in Berlin when the wall went up, I'm sure he said he went to the game on East Berlin

The only thing maps throws up is a leafy lane type street, with that name. Who knows????? Mibbees aye.........:)

That is Johannesstraße (with an 'e' in the middle) which as you say is a suburban leafy small street.

I think the one in the picture is Johannisstraße (with an 'I' in the middle) which is a city centre side street off Friedrichstraße which is where the photo was taken.

Post #32 has nailed the exact location imo.

That is Johannesstraße (with an 'e' in the middle) which as you say is a suburban leafy small street.

I think the one in the picture is Johannisstraße (with an 'I' in the middle) which is a city centre side street off Friedrichstraße which is where the photo was taken.

Post #32 has nailed the exact location imo.
It`s not like me to fkk things up :) :)

Back