In pictures: George Best statue unveiled at Windsor Park http://shr.gs/YkWKr5C

There was a few times he let us down due to his off field antics no question.

But quite a few times United wouldn’t release him. He was just too vital to their team and they couldn’t risk him coming back injured or going missing for a while.

This is spot on.

I would also add that when he did play for Northern Ireland I think he always gave his all. There were many times that journalists and supporters would say he beat the opposition single handedly with his mesmerising skill e.g. Scotland at Windsor Park in 1965 and 1967 and England in 1971 are three examples. I was about 8 years old in 1965 and was at both Scotland games. I was too young to really appreciate him then but do I remember the Windsor Park crowd going 'whoa!' and the buzz and anticipation everytime he was on the ball.

He would have graced the 1966 World Cup in England. Unfortunately, Northern Ireland only needed to beat Albania in Tirana in the last game to qualify. They ended up drawing 1 v 1 (to a late equaliser) and allowed Switzerland to sneak through and qualify by a point (history repeated itself in the last WC qualifiers in 2017!). Best played in all six qualifiers in 1965 which included beating the Netherlands.

By the way the statue is a poor piece of work. It does not do him justice. It looks like his septum has fallen out with his nose.

Last edited:
This is spot on.

I would also add that when he did play for Northern Ireland I think he always gave his all. There were many times that journalists and supporters would say he beat the opposition single handedly with his mesmerising skill e.g. Scotland at Windsor Park in 1965 and 1967 and England in 1971 are three examples. I was about 8 years old in 1965 and was at both Scotland games. I was too young to really appreciate him then but do I remember the Windsor Park crowd going 'whoa!' and the buzz and anticipation everytime he was on the ball.

He would have graced the 1966 World Cup in England. Unfortunately, Northern Ireland only needed to beat Albania in Tirana in the last game to qualify. They ended up drawing 1 v 1 (to a late equaliser) and allowed Switzerland to sneak through and qualify by a point (history repeated itself in the last WC qualifiers in 2017!). Best played in all six qualifiers in 1965 which included beating the Netherlands.

By the way the statue is a poor piece of work. It does not do him justice. It looks like his septum has fallen out with his nose.

I’m 2-3 years older than you and I was at 90% of the N.I. games at Windsor Park in those years.
Generally when Best played we were treated to watching a genius at work.
1967 vs Scotland I remember the rumbling in the crowd as he got on the ball and it got louder and louder the longer he was on it.
He let us down 1971 vs Scotland when he was sent off for flinging mud at the ref.
I was right the front of the terracing and seen it all unfold right in front of me.
I’m quite confident we’ll never see his like again.

Its
Nailed it.
_107077516_01aaa1.jpg
Its as well they didnt start from a photo of him with a beard !

As I big fan of the man himself,lucky enough to see him play.
The less said about that monstrosity the better

Back