In praise of Katic today

Katic is our best defender, Helander so far has not impressed me but still early days for him as he doesn't seem to be as fit yet as the other players.

I agree Katic is probably our best CB but how in the hell are people writing off Helander based on the 2 games he's played?

He had strikers that had no intent to play football in both games, just harass and pull at him all game and he handled it with relative ease.

Helander looked like a player who hasn't played a lot of football at the moment, so unfair to judge him, but based solely on his performance against St Mirren, I thought he got caught under the ball far too often. Whilst Katic and Goldson attack the ball, Helander rarely jumped, instead allowing the forward to back-into him.
Pleased for Borna, I want him to do well, but there's just something awkward about his positioning/body shape when he's on the back foot. Like the chance at the end - he shows the guy outside him, correctly, but then tries to block the cross with his right leg and ends up almost injuring himself. Surely it would have been easier to stick out his left peg?

Helander did ok today but misjudged quite a few high balls. Still needs to adjust to the league i think. Its certainly not Serie A.

Misjudging high balls is something Goldson does a lot too. He's too easily brushed aside when a ball has bounced and him and the striker are going for a challenge.

He had a good game today, actually, but I'm still not 100% convinced by him.

Fantastic to be in the position that we are with our centre back situation,as against what we have had available over the past few seasons!
For me our best “attacking “the ball centre back is Katic

Eh whit o_O what mistakes did goldson make exactly ? The big man has been brilliant so far this season and today I can’t remember any mistakes.

I can't remember specifics - only that I started screaming at the tv a couple of times :D

Fair point though, he's been good so far. I wouldn't say brilliant, but good. Hoping he'll get that touch sharper as the season goes on.

Katic looks faster tougher and looks more dangerous when he goes up for set pieces.
I think Helmander looks more cumbersome.
I also think Edmondson looks a better player than Helmander.Just my opinion.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, so far Helmander reminds me a bit of Konterman, who was not one of my favourite players to say the least.
I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, so far Helmander reminds me a bit of Konterman, who was not one of my favourite players to say the least.
I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

How can anyone honestly make a judgement on the guy after the two games we have seen?

Also why do we heap pressure on Katic? He still has things to learn. Low driven crosses from the left cause him a problem. His concentration isn’t to the standard needed. His positioning is still needing development. His distribution of the ball is poor, a significant issue against a packed defence like yesterday.

All that said a good player wjth time to develop and a coach that will provide development.

But don’t build him up to knock him down.

Goldson is our best central defender and that's why the manager always selects him.

The strongest physically and doesn't dive in the way Niko does at times.

Katic is definitely the most dangerous in the opposition box however.

All 4 of our central defenders are of a very high quality, but Katic and Goldson deserve to be 1st choice at the moment.

I’d agree with this.

There’s a growing trend on FF of people starting to doubt Goldson and I have no idea why! He hasn’t put a foot wrong this season.

Katic is our most dominant defender in the air but he does get caught on a the ground a fair bit. In fact I think most of our goals and huge chances conceded have been on the left side, albeit this is not helped by left back being our weakest position so far.

Back