In terms of statistics - “we will play against one of the best teams in Europe”

TibbsyBear

Some good acknowledgment there from the Standard Liège Manager.

Manager labels Rangers ’one of best teams in Europe’ – Steven Gerrard’s side earning plaudits​

Sean Lunt21st October 2020
Standard Liège coach Philippe Montanier has labelled Glasgow Rangers ’one of the best teams in Europe’ ahead of their meeting in the Europa League on Thursday.

Rangers kick off their European campaign on Thursday with a trip to take on the Belgian side in Group D.

Steven Gerrard’s side are heading into the game in good form, having started their league campaign with nine wins from 11 games, conceding just three goals thus far.

Their excellent start continued over the weekend with an 2-0 win over Rivals Celtic in the Old Firm Derby, thanks to a brace from Connor Goldson, a result that put them four points clear at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

It means Rangers will head into their clash with Liège full of confidence, and Gerrard’s opposite number Montanier was full of praise ahead of the match.

“We have a strong group, we have to win at home,” Walfoot report him saying.

“But in terms of statistics, we will play against one of the best teams in Europe.

“They have planted 37 goals, conceded four goals and made 11 clean sheets in all competitions up to now.

“They are not developing a traditional Scottish game, and Steven Gerrard does a very good job.

“A two-way team, they defend and attack together. Our opponent is fast, technical and moving forward. We will have to be wary of that.”

Like Rangers, Liège have had a good start to the season themselves, with five wins from their first nine games.

Their weekend was not as joyous as the Gers’, although a 1-1 draw with league leaders Club Brugge was widely considered a good result given they are in the Champions League.

And Montanier is hoping they will once again be able to raise their performance when Rangers come to town.

“Brugge had a big performance in the Champions League,” he added.

“And we stood up to them on Saturday night. We are able to raise our level against big opponents.

“This will be the case against Rangers; we are wary but confident about our last performance.”

I’m struggling to see why we are such strong favourites for this one. I fancy us but they are no mugs and seem to have had a decent start to the season too.

I saw we were 7/5 Favourites last night and came in today.

I’m struggling to see why we are such strong favourites for this one. I fancy us but they are no mugs and seem to have had a decent start to the season too.

Probably down to our excellent European record and the fact we aren’t losing many goals at the moment.

Admittedly it is quite strange though considering Standard’s home record.

It will be tough, a draw would be a good result.
They will be technical so we will have to be on our game, unlike the game at the weekend where we never stepped out of first gear.

Bookies just react to the bets that are being placed. If they are getting a lot of bets on us then our odds will shorten and Liege's will go out, this will result in less bets on us and more on Liege. If our odds keep getting shorter it's not because the bookies think that we're a certainty to win, it's because they are at risk of losing money as they haven't got a balanced book.

Nice to see the team get credit from the opposition, the guy has clearly done his homework.

In terms of the game itself, obviously it would be great to get the win but for me we must win our home games and pick up what we can away from home so I wouldn't be overly upset with a draw tomorrow.

Last edited:
And we are not favorites in my view and I’ll be very pleased if we come away with a point from Liege.
I hope we get all three but I think this will be our toughest test since Leverkusen.

Would be very happy with a scoring draw, if not a decent single goal away win.

As their manager says, we are one of the best teams in Europe statistically. We’ve gotta be happy with that assertion, and maybe we can use that as a stick to beat them with. In any case, I don’t believe we will lose which can only be a good thing.

“They are not developing a traditional Scottish game, and Steven Gerrard does a very good job."

Don't you just love a compliment that doubles as an insult?

that isn’t an insult to us in any way. Scottish football in general = pish. Rangers football = good. That’s what he’s saying.

If he wants to slag off the general quality of football in Scotland then he’s absolutely welcome to as far as I’m concerned, because it is pish.

gn28.png

Compare and contrast to, the super computer with its "complex algorithms", Wibble and McNamara. I feel those 3 have something in common but just can't put my finger on it

that isn’t an insult to us in any way. Scottish football in general = pish. Rangers football = good. That’s what he’s saying.

If he wants to slag off the general quality of football in Scotland then he’s absolutely welcome to as far as I’m concerned, because it is pish.
We're the unseeded/low pot team that every club must look at and go 'Please not them.'

We havent lost a qualifying game in 3 years despite playing 278 qualifying games in that time and 2 of the 3 group games weve lost were down to poor officiating and all of them we lost by a single goal. We also have a habit of being able to go through the gears when really needed and taking our chances when they come.

We're the unseeded/low pot team that every club must look at and go 'Please not them.'

We havent lost a qualifying game in 3 years despite playing 278 qualifying games in that time and 2 of the 3 group games weve lost were down to poor officiating and all of them we lost by a single goal. We also have a habit of being able to go through the gears when really needed and taking our chances when they come.
278?
am I misreading/ misunderstanding something. Or a typo?

I think that’s exactly the point HB was making.

We are favourites because we are a very good side, particularly in Europe. I think many on here underestimate how good we are. We should come away with at least a point and have a real chance of all 3.

Probably down to our excellent European record and the fact we aren’t losing many goals at the moment.

Admittedly it is quite strange though considering Standard’s home record.
Probably down to the amount of money being bet on Rangers!

We are favourites because we are a very good side, particularly in Europe. I think many on here underestimate how good we are. We should come away with at least a point and have a real chance of all 3.
There is nothing wrong with being confident but this isn’t going to be easy.
A draw would be a great result.

Nice to see the team get credit from the opposition, the guy has clearly done his homework.

In terms of the game itself, obviously it would be great to get the win but for me we must win our home games and pick up what we can away from home so I wouldn't be overly upset with a draw tomorrow.
Delighted with a draw, delirious with a win.

Some good acknowledgment there from the Standard Liège Manager.

Manager labels Rangers ’one of best teams in Europe’ – Steven Gerrard’s side earning plaudits​

Sean Lunt21st October 2020
Standard Liège coach Philippe Montanier has labelled Glasgow Rangers ’one of the best teams in Europe’ ahead of their meeting in the Europa League on Thursday.

Rangers kick off their European campaign on Thursday with a trip to take on the Belgian side in Group D.

Steven Gerrard’s side are heading into the game in good form, having started their league campaign with nine wins from 11 games, conceding just three goals thus far.

Their excellent start continued over the weekend with an 2-0 win over Rivals Celtic in the Old Firm Derby, thanks to a brace from Connor Goldson, a result that put them four points clear at the top of the Scottish Premiership.

It means Rangers will head into their clash with Liège full of confidence, and Gerrard’s opposite number Montanier was full of praise ahead of the match.

“We have a strong group, we have to win at home,” Walfoot report him saying.

“But in terms of statistics, we will play against one of the best teams in Europe.

“They have planted 37 goals, conceded four goals and made 11 clean sheets in all competitions up to now.

“They are not developing a traditional Scottish game, and Steven Gerrard does a very good job.

“A two-way team, they defend and attack together. Our opponent is fast, technical and moving forward. We will have to be wary of that.”

Like Rangers, Liège have had a good start to the season themselves, with five wins from their first nine games.

Their weekend was not as joyous as the Gers’, although a 1-1 draw with league leaders Club Brugge was widely considered a good result given they are in the Champions League.

And Montanier is hoping they will once again be able to raise their performance when Rangers come to town.

“Brugge had a big performance in the Champions League,” he added.

“And we stood up to them on Saturday night. We are able to raise our level against big opponents.

“This will be the case against Rangers; we are wary but confident about our last performance.”
Wait, I'm confused. I could have sworn I read we were NOT a good side.

Black is white, White is black.

I was bursting with pride reading that article. It shows how we are viewed in Europe, not exactly feared as such but certainly no one wants to play us. We have come such a long way in such a short period of time.

I fancy us to be too strong for them, but they are a decent side.

I know it appears to being wise after the event but I had few worries about Saturday. Today is a stronger opponent and a bit more worrying. I still think we'll get a result but my nails will be bitten

Back