Income for qualifing?

No, so we will facing 3rd placed Champions League teams while they will face 2nd playing Conference League sides.

Realistically, it is very likely we will go out to someone like Dortmund while they will progress against the likes of Qarabag or Randers. So they will likely end up with more coefficient points and money than us from Europe as a result of dropping down.

Their worst possible draw would Spurs or Roma though and our best draw would be Sheriff. So there is a tiny chance we could get an easier draw.

Let's just wait for the draws before all heading down to mass.

Slavia, Partizan and PAOK are all possible opponents for them and none of them will be a walk over.

Likwise I'd fancy us against Zenit coming out of cold storage, and we've an amazing record in Portugal so perhaps Benfica, too. The 'big' teams often don't take the EL seriously till the quarters or semis, so might not be a bad time to draw anyone.

This is all in Euros but:

3.6m for qualifying for the group stages
1.5m for our two wins and one draw in the group stages (with one match to play)
0.5m for finishing second in the group

Not far off 6m Euros banked so far in prize money alone, and then you need to factor in gate receipts and other matchday incomes.
Don't forget the 8.6 million Euros we'll get for winning the whole thing.

Always optimistic loyal.

Where’s rangeral disappeared to? he’d have our opponent list, every combination of possibilities, dates and cost of away ground pies all listed by now

Anyone know how much we'll get for progressing last night? Will it be more since cel'ic got thrown out on their arse? (not that you'd know by the reaction).

Around a million for winning the game and finishing 2nd in the group?

Added to Gerrard's compensation it's been a positive couple of weeks financially, and there are definite signs that we might end up better off on the playing side of things under Gio.
Steady lad. Ra sellick just qualified for a world famous prestigious competition!!

It’s the same with the coefficient points. We would get more coefficient points and money in the conference league, it just doesn’t have the prestige. The difference should be bigger really.
The prize money is similar but the TV pool is MUCH bigger, they'll probably need to get to the quarter finals to match what we get if we are knocked out in the next round.

The prize money is similar but the TV pool is MUCH bigger, they'll probably need to get to the quarter finals to match what we get if we are knocked out in the next round.
Similar, kind of.

The relevant rounds to us and them:

Europa league
  • 2nd in group stage: €550,000
  • Knockout round play-offs: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,200,000
Conference League

Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
Round of 16: €600,000
Quarter-final: €1,000,000

Neither are probably making a semi of their respective competitions.

They get 300k for being in the play off round. We get 500k. Assuming both are eliminated there (plus we get the 550k for being 2nd).

If we each won that one we’d get 1.1mil the next round, they’d get 600k.

Round for round, as long as each side is likely to be in it, we are getting approximately double the money. Of course depends on how many rounds each side progresses. But definitely better to be in the Europa I would say.

Apologises, this is just a copy and paste but should answer your questions.

Europa league

• Qualified to group stage: €3,630,000
  • Match won in group stage: €630,000
  • Match drawn in group stage: €210,000
  • 1st in group stage: €1,100,000
  • 2nd in group stage: €550,000
  • Knockout round play-offs: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,200,000
  • Quarter-final: €1,800,000
  • Semi-final: €2,800,000
  • Runner-up: €4,600,000
  • Champion: €8,600,000
Conference League

First qualifying round elimination: €150,000
Second qualifying round elimination: €350,000
Third qualifying round elimination: €550,000
Play-off round elimination: €750,000
Qualified to Group Stage: €2,940,000
Match won in Group Stage: €500,000
Match drawn in Group Stage: €166,000
1st in Group Stage: €650,000
2nd in Group Stage: €325,000
Knockout round play-offs: €300,000
Round of 16: €600,000
Quarter-final: €1,000,000
Semi-final: €2,000,000
Runner-up: €3,000,000
Champion: €5,000,000
I might be wrong, but they could end up with about as much as us by dropping down as the lower standard could mean further progress.

Don't know about the tv money, not 100% sure of how the hospitality works in terms of tickets sold and average price but you'd imagine with a 6th European game coming up, and with the chances of it being a 'big tie', that we'd pocket around £10-11 million from ticket sales and concession stand alone by March.

It'll be more after hospitality and TV deals are included. Some turnout.

I know I read a while back on here that the board budget for the Europa but does that include the knockout stages or are they an added bonus?

Don't know about the tv money, not 100% sure of how the hospitality works in terms of tickets sold and average price but you'd imagine with a 6th European game coming up, and with the chances of it being a 'big tie', that we'd pocket around £10-11 million from ticket sales and concession stand alone by March.

It'll be more after hospitality and TV deals are included. Some turnout.

I know I read a while back on here that the board budget for the Europa but does that include the knockout stages or are they an added bonus?

I have no insider info but I’d be amazed if our board budgeted for us making it out of the groups. It’s got to be a bonus and not expected.

My point is that these figures do not include the TV pool where there is a much bigger difference between the two competitions.
This is the point a lot of people seem to be overlooking. EL TV pool is over 5 times that of the Conference pool, something like 140m against 24m.

When you take into account the prize money and, another home game of ticket sales plus TV money for the next round, that win last night was worth in the region for £4.5-€5m for us.

Huge result.

This alone show you just how valuable Alfredo Morelos has been to us in terms of finance, couple that with his late winner v Legia to send us into the group stage he has earned us well over over 15 million in prize money and ticket package sales, all for a 1m transfer fee

its a shame he has to be so f*cking annoying at times :))

I would think the anticipated shortfall would include this already.

However Gerrard compo + share issue money is £9M that won't have been accounted for.

The accounts included European money up until they were issued, so would have included the qualification for the group and gate receipts amount, but won’t include the winning on Thursday and finishing 2nd qualification money. That plus the Gerrard compo will go a fair bit to bridging the funding gap.

Beating Lyon would also bring in another £525k, I hope they decide to dial it in!

There won’t be much, but I hope this gives GVB a bit to play with in January, even better if we could get decent money for a player.

I’d be surprised if Gio gets anything to spend in January as we need £7.5M just to cover costs until the end of the season. Might get a couple of loan players in i reckon.
I will be surprised if he doesn't get some money to spend.

This alone show you just how valuable Alfredo Morelos has been to us in terms of finance, couple that with his late winner v Legia to send us into the group stage he has earned us well over over 15 million in prize money and ticket package sales, all for a 1m transfer fee

its a shame he has to be so f*cking annoying at times :))

One of our best value for money signings ever.

Hes been incredible for us.

I would guess that a fair amount of whatever won so far has already been budgeted for in the accounts, given group stage European football was guaranteed this year - so it won’t all be additional money to spend.

Would be happy to be proven wrong of course.

Was having a look at breakdown of Money, The Thing we are losing money on is the 10 year coefficient because we didn’t compete for years. We Made 924K from that this year whereas them for example made 3.4 million. This will be big money for us in years to come especially when we get in Champions league with the improved 10 year coefficient.

Another example I just looked at
Sheriff made 1.1 million for 10 year coefficient in champions league.
Zenit in same competition made 18.1 million. No excuse for us not to have a really high 10 year coefficient ranking in a few years.

Last edited:
My point is that these figures do not include the TV pool where there is a much bigger difference between the two competitions.
Good point. I didnt really read your post properly.

Seen a few on here mention prize money is similar (it's around double from here on out unless the unexpected happens). But I think essentially we agree, especially when you consider tv money, that the Europa is far more lucrative.

I actually think the prize money and coefficient system for the format is shit. There’s a bigger gap between the Europa and Conference in terms of quality than there is between the Champions League and Europa.

We finish 2nd, and we could get AC Milan, Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund, Benfica, Atalanta or Seville.

Had we finished 3rd we could have got HJK Helsinki, Flora Talinn, Zorya, Jablonec or Omonia Nicosia.

So in terms of coefficient and finance, you’re arguably better off finishing 3rd.

The increase in quality this year in the Europa is crazy.

It was mostly match day income I was thinking of. An additional couple of home games is a lot of money.

It was mostly match day income I was thinking of. An additional couple of home games is a lot of money.

We will make nearly as much from ticket sales for one game in europa play off than they will from 2 in the conference league. They won't sell they next round for more than £25 and won't sell out

We will be £45 and a full house given the level of team we will play

Interesting numbers.

Most seem to have a good grasp of the prize money, but Rangers’ share of the TV money isn’t so clear.

And to those mentioning gate receipts, you need to remember that’s income, not profit. All the prize money and TV money goes straight to the bottom line, but matchday income has to have matchday expenses deducted from it.

It’s certainly an upward trajectory.

We also received UEFA money for match v Malmo taking it to around €10m . We have had 5 home matches worth around £5m (people don't take into account we have to pay VAT on match ticket).
Adding TV money etc, we should be near £17m.

The accounts included European money up until they were issued, so would have included the qualification for the group and gate receipts amount, but won’t include the winning on Thursday and finishing 2nd qualification money. That plus the Gerrard compo will go a fair bit to bridging the funding gap.

Beating Lyon would also bring in another £525k, I hope they decide to dial it in!

There won’t be much, but I hope this gives GVB a bit to play with in January, even better if we could get decent money for a player.
Player trading absolutely has to start.

We also received UEFA money for match v Malmo taking it to around €10m . We have had 5 home matches worth around £5m (people don't take into account we have to pay VAT on match ticket).
Adding TV money etc, we should be near £17m.
We need to pay vat on all takings on match day surely?

I actually think the prize money and coefficient system for the format is shit. There’s a bigger gap between the Europa and Conference in terms of quality than there is between the Champions League and Europa.

We finish 2nd, and we could get AC Milan, Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund, Benfica, Atalanta or Seville.

Had we finished 3rd we could have got HJK Helsinki, Flora Talinn, Zorya, Jablonec or Omonia Nicosia.

So in terms of coefficient and finance, you’re arguably better off finishing 3rd.

The increase in quality this year in the Europa is crazy.
The entire reason the conference league was created was to distill the quality of the EL and its clearly worked.

Most seem to have a good grasp of the prize money, but Rangers’ share of the TV money isn’t so clear.
The TV pool money only gets revealed in the financial documents nearly a year later.

For the Braga season it was 1.6 million total.

Celtic also got the same. Celtic were entitled to 60% (1.6 million) we got 40% then made it up to same total by beating Braga playing an extra round.

I’m pretty sure as a concept whatever the England TV pot is, Scotland gets allocated an equivalent 10% as its all the one BT contract.

Realistically, ‘decent money’ for a player probably means losing someone we’d rather keep (Alfie, Kent, Aribo, Kamara, Patterson, etc).

Do we then try and hold on to what we have in pursuit of automatic CL entry, or is Gio willing to gamble, lose one of the above then reinvest the cash on one or two players he has in mind?

No, so we will facing 3rd placed Champions League teams while they will face 2nd playing Conference League sides.

Realistically, it is very likely we will go out to someone like Dortmund while they will progress against the likes of Qarabag or Randers. So they will likely end up with more coefficient points and money than us from Europe as a result of dropping down.

Their worst possible draw would Spurs or Roma though and our best draw would be Sheriff. So there is a tiny chance we could get an easier draw.
I noticed this as soon as they announced this format and the finances. I thought I must have got it completely wrong, but there seems to be a real advantage to dropping out 3rd from the europa and entering a competition of real diddy teams whilst not earning much less money or coefficient points. It’s a bit of a shambles to be honest.

I noticed this as soon as they announced this format and the finances. I thought I must have got it completely wrong, but there seems to be a real advantage to dropping out 3rd from the europa and entering a competition of real diddy teams whilst not earning much less money or coefficient points. It’s a bit of a shambles to be honest.
Teams that actually qualify properly receive bonus points to try offset that problem.

However I’d expect Rangers or Celtic to make 3-4 points no problem dropping into Conference.

You would expect us to get 1 further point if we draw an elite team in Europa.

This is all in Euros but:

3.6m for qualifying for the group stages
1.5m for our two wins and one draw in the group stages (with one match to play)
0.5m for finishing second in the group

Not far off 6m Euros banked so far in prize money alone, and then you need to factor in gate receipts and other matchday incomes.
Thats pretty good and id estimate that we take in about 1.5-1.75 million per home game from ticket sales. Im not overly bothered about europa league this season as its all about going for the champions league next season but that kind of money certainly helps us financially.

There’s other aspects to consider. Alfie scores the winner against Barca or Benfica he’s the 20m dollar man again. Scores against flora tallin and it doesn’t mean as much.The value of all our players increases as they are proven EL level.

Do we get all the Scottish TV money for this season with Celtic now dropping out?
They will get a share of the Europa League money for Scotland for the Group Stage

But they now get very little in the Conference League as the whole TV money pot is estimated as just €23.5m for that competition

The TV pool money only gets revealed in the financial documents nearly a year later.

For the Braga season it was 1.6 million total.

Celtic also got the same. Celtic were entitled to 60% (1.6 million) we got 40% then made it up to same total by beating Braga playing an extra round.

I’m pretty sure as a concept whatever the England TV pot is, Scotland gets allocated an equivalent 10% as its all the one BT contract.
Yes around 10% of the UK pot (basically England)

The accounts didn’t include income up until they were issued. The accounts covered the financial year to 30 June 2021 and not a penny of income - or expenses - after that.

Back