Incredible first Day for Jose on his new role

That’ll be 9 years since Guardiola made one then will it?

Will we compare their total trophies since then or would that not fit your argument?

Mourinho’s style of football is the polar opposite to the type of players Spurs have & the style they are used to. Disaster waiting to happen. I suppose if he wins a league cup or gets them regular Europa League football like he did with Man Utd the fans would be happy ...

Will we compare their total trophies since then or would that not fit your argument?

Mourinho’s style of football is the polar opposite to the type of players Spurs have & the style they are used to. Disaster waiting to happen. I suppose if he wins a league cup or gets them regular Europa League football like he did with Man Utd the fans would be happy ...

What makes it so impossible for Harry Kane to play like Drogba/Costa, why can't Alli be a goalscoring midfielder like Lampard, or Eriksen play like Hazard did? He'll have the choice of Dier, Sissoko, Winks or Wanyama to do the Matic/Mikel role too.

Good players can adapt, Jose will sniff out the fairweather ones that couldn't go the distance under Poch and got away with it constantly. However good the squad is deemed, they never won a thing, and something had to change.

Only time will tell but I wouldn't rule him out just like that, he's had a 2nd place finish more recently than Pochettino and with a far worse squad of players.

Did you not watch Spurs agains Ajax and in some other CL games last year?
almost a Mourinho tribute act.
people rave about pochettino, he’s done nothing, literally. They’ve won nothing. They blew their biggest chance at a title by bottling it and letting Leicester win it.

people rave about pochettino, he’s done nothing, literally. They’ve won nothing. They blew their biggest chance at a title by bottling it and letting Leicester win it.

How did they bottle it? Leicester were better and they won it beating all of the big boys in the process. It wasn’t as though Spurs were in the lead and slipped at the death.

I think this is a poor move by Spurs. I think Mourinho is now done as a manager and will bore the fans who are used to a different style.
He is now a cheque book manager imo with teams who are boring to watch.
But Hey, i might be proved wrong.

I think this is a poor move by Spurs. I think Mourinho is now done as a manager and will bore the fans who are used to a different style.
He is now a cheque book manager imo with teams who are boring to watch.
But Hey, i might be proved wrong.
Pretty sure you will :)

What makes it so impossible for Harry Kane to play like Drogba/Costa, why can't Alli be a goalscoring midfielder like Lampard, or Eriksen play like Hazard did? He'll have the choice of Dier, Sissoko, Winks or Wanyama to do the Matic/Mikel role too.

Good players can adapt, Jose will sniff out the fairweather ones that couldn't go the distance under Poch and got away with it constantly. However good the squad is deemed, they never won a thing, and something had to change.

Only time will tell but I wouldn't rule him out just like that, he's had a 2nd place finish more recently than Pochettino and with a far worse squad of players.
I dont watch spurs but got ndoumble sissoko and alderweireld in my fifa team all of them are superb :)

8 league titles across Portugal, Spain, Italy and England. 13 domestic cup competitions, 2 Champions League's, a Europa League and UEFA Cup.

Not too bad for some who many are writing off.

His first CL was in 2004. An outstanding achievement no doubt, to take Porto there. However, think about how many players have retired since then? The game has moved on massively since his 2010 win never mind 2004, he hasn’t reinvented himself at all. The second time around at Chelsea he had the opportunity to make them the pre-eminent team in the country. Didn’t take it. Here’s his league record:
2013-14: Third
2014-15: Champions
2015-16: Lost 9/16 games & got fired by December

Look further back at Real Madrid (10-13). Nowhere near a CL final, interesting to look at their European record from 2013-14 onwards though without him ...

I personally feel Spurs/Levy have pushed the panic button too soon after an awful start to the league.

It’s not impossible, however:

Kane is nowhere near as physical as either Drogba or Costa

Alli hasn’t & wont show anywhere near the level of consistency Lampard did

Eriksen is a great player but he’s a 10, Hazard is an inside forward who can drift all over the place and is far more explosive than Eriksen

You’ve made my point a little by comparing Spurs current players to 2 players who have retired & 2 players who have moved on to Spain. Why? Because Mourinho hasn’t reinvented himself and won’t adapt to the players he has. I’m not writing him off completely but I am highly skeptical.

After their start to the season under Poch, they will be ecstatic with the above! A European trophy with direct entry into the CL and a domestic trophy... What's not to like about that from a Spurs perspective

From snippets I've read on the bbc, it appears that Jose has compromised more than Spurs, and has accepted he'll be working under the same constraints as his predecessor (low net spend), but with the same expectations too (top 4 finish). That being the case, if he's come into the job sincerely, I'll be curious to see how he gets on. As above, a regular top 4 finish with the odd trophy would be good for Spurs...not sure they had to spend 13.5m a year on a manager to achieve that but hey ho.

Another armchair football tactical genius. You know more about managing a club than JM. FFS Spurs should just come on here and get a plan to succeed.

Another armchair football tactical genius. You know more about managing a club than JM. FFS Spurs should just come on here and get a plan to succeed.

I didn’t actually mention anything about tactics nor did I suggest I know more than him. I made a comment about his style of play. This is a football forum, right?

Spurs were a good bit behind the top 2 before and this appointment won’t get them any closer, I’d suggest it’ll take them further away. Spurs didn’t spend 100’s of millions of pounds on that stadium to play in the europa league & win a domestic cup, they did it to increase their revenues to regularly go far in the CL & try to challenge for the league.

His first CL was in 2004. An outstanding achievement no doubt, to take Porto there. However, think about how many players have retired since then? The game has moved on massively since his 2010 win never mind 2004, he hasn’t reinvented himself at all. The second time around at Chelsea he had the opportunity to make them the pre-eminent team in the country. Didn’t take it. Here’s his league record:
2013-14: Third
2014-15: Champions
2015-16: Lost 9/16 games & got fired by December

Look further back at Real Madrid (10-13). Nowhere near a CL final, interesting to look at their European record from 2013-14 onwards though without him ...

I personally feel Spurs/Levy have pushed the panic button too soon after an awful start to the league.

You are stretching it a bit to say Real Madrid got nowhere near a CL final under him?

They reached the semis 3 times, losing on pens in a semi is hardly nowhere near a final.

You are stretching it a bit to say Real Madrid got nowhere near a CL final under him?

They reached the semis 3 times, losing on pens in a semi is hardly nowhere near a final.
Yes but the facts wouldn’t suit some people’s arguments who simply don’t like the guy!

It’s a bit daft to write him off before a ball has been kicked.

Poch has taken them to the top 14 in a 20 team league. My money is on Jose to improve on that.

Besides he’s great entertainment value.

I think Poch did quite well considering the money he spent compared to his rivals.

How did they bottle it? Leicester were better and they won it beating all of the big boys in the process. It wasn’t as though Spurs were in the lead and slipped at the death.

Spurs for me had better players, and given the shit at the other big clubs they should’ve sailed to the title. They’ll never have that chance again imo

Mourinho’s last full season in EPL he finished 2nd with an average Utd team. Same as Where Klopp finished last season and where Guardiola will this year.

Point taken, but getting to the SF means little to RM & their fans, the same way us getting to league & Scottish cup SF means little. We want finals & we want trophies. He also only won 1 meaningful trophy in 3 years in Madrid, 1 league title.

Point taken, but getting to the SF means little to RM & their fans, the same way us getting to league & Scottish cup SF means little. We want finals & we want trophies. He also only won 1 meaningful trophy in 3 years in Madrid, 1 league title.

Which he won, competing against one of the greatest sides in the history of the game.

8 league titles across Portugal, Spain, Italy and England. 13 domestic cup competitions, 2 Champions League's, a Europa League and UEFA Cup.

Not too bad for some who many are writing off.

He’s a top class manager and the break will have done him good.

He will improve Spurs but the style of football will not be great!!

I can’t not like him though! He was asked something in the presser along the lines of - “do you think losing in the CL final has been the problem for Poch”

“I don’t know - I have never lost in a CL final”

Class

Mourinho just always delivers trophies. He even delivered a Europa League win with a truly shite Man U squad, by any historic measurement.

It’s going to be funny reading back these threads when Spurs are lifting trophies shortly, with Mourinho’s yesterday’s man brand of football :)

Spurs for me had better players, and given the shit at the other big clubs they should’ve sailed to the title. They’ll never have that chance again imo

That still doesn’t fit the description of a bottle job though. The team with the best players doesn’t always win (would be a right boring sport otherwise), it was a one off title win the likes of which may never be seen again and that’s because Leicester just kept winning. For spurs to have bottled it they’d have had to have been in the lead and slipped up or had various chances to sneak in front and fumbled, but Leicester showed remarkable consistency and just kept winning.

Jose looked happier than he did at man u. Seems to be a different spirit about him. Having a break from football has re-charged his batteries and he appears motivated. It does help that he has inherited a good team with some excellent players.

Back