Individual mistakes

lawman

Something which has just occurred to me is the amount of reduction in individual mistakes which let us down badly last year

Maybe it’s the lack of crowd pressure, more belief in the squad, learning or player growth, but it’s noticeable.

Easily costs us double figure points last season. We seem no nonsense in terms of indecision this year. Long may it continue.

I agree with your points but it's also to do with coaching. Everyone trusts the system so they don't panic, everything is under control.

We also haven't really played any good teams who can put us under pressure ... :cool:

I thought of that earlier. Goldson had a couple of howlers, as did Shagger and Katic. Balogun coming in has steadied us compared to Katic and Edmundson.

Defensively 100% and I mean defending as a whole team and not just the defence when not in posession. Even when in posession we're not giving the ball away so cheaply (2nd half against Livi aside). Sometimes when attacking and in the final 3rd I still feel that we're taking the wrong option or making the wrong decision at times but even there it's been an improvement

We are a lot tighter at the back this year, thankfully. Individual mistakes may yet creep back in but I’m confident we have enough going forward now for them not to cost us so dearly. If we can get Fredo firing on all cylinders we will take some stopping.

I see it slightly differently - We have not, in fact, eliminated those individual errors we are simply benefitting from teams not taking advantage.

Look at the first OF game last season where Goldson makes one error and we lose a goal from it which ultimately cost us the game with them only getting a second (from another error) as we pushed to salvage the game.

This season he makes an even bigger error in the same game and in a more dangerous area to leave their striker one on one with our keeper. Their striker doesn't take advantage of the opportunity and Goldson goes on to be the hero.

Every game we see mistakes that present the opposition with decent chances which, fortunately, they have generally failed to take. Think how often we have dominated games in the past only for one mistake to lead to some no mark crashing home a once in a lifetime strike to cost us points.

You will never eliminate mistakes, we all make them, its the consequence of them that makes the difference.

I see it slightly differently - We have not, in fact, eliminated those individual errors we are simply benefitting from teams not taking advantage.

Look at the first OF game last season where Goldson makes one error and we lose a goal from it which ultimately cost us the game with them only getting a second (from another error) as we pushed to salvage the game.

This season he makes an even bigger error in the same game and in a more dangerous area to leave their striker one on one with our keeper. Their striker doesn't take advantage of the opportunity and Goldson goes on to be the hero.

Every game we see mistakes that present the opposition with decent chances which, fortunately, they have generally failed to take. Think how often we have dominated games in the past only for one mistake to lead to some no mark crashing home a once in a lifetime strike to cost us points.

You will never eliminate mistakes, we all make them, its the consequence of them that makes the difference.
Yeah, I guess it’s the amount I am getting at, the frequency of them has shortened massively For sure.

Said after the last game about mistakes in dangerous areas but the diff is this season its the midfield and up front that are doing it ,Morelos being one of the main culprits of loose passing but the back line has cut most of it out and results show that.

Something which has just occurred to me is the amount of reduction in individual mistakes which let us down badly last year

Maybe it’s the lack of crowd pressure, more belief in the squad, learning or player growth, but it’s noticeable.

Easily costs us double figure points last season. We seem no nonsense in terms of indecision this year. Long may it continue.
See, now you’ve gone and jinxed it. If we fail to get 55 this season it’ll be your fault.

Yeah. See last season v Young Boys. 2 defensive errors and we throw away a lead and lose the game.

This season v Liege. Can't really call it a mistake given the pitch conditions, but we lose the ball and their guy is unmarked at the back post - and it rolls under his foot and we win the game.

Fine margins.

Yes there has definitely been a reduction in 'Fuckk sake Tav' moments. Squad are flying at the moment and Tav really is leading by example this season, absolute athlete and his contribution so far has been something else.

Need to ride the crest of the wave for as long as possible and hopefully further pull away from that other mob. I feel if this team can get a decent points gap going, coupled with the fact there is no fans, we really could run away with it.

If we beat Killie away with no major fuss I will allow myself to believe we might just win this league!

Yeah. See last season v Young Boys. 2 defensive errors and we throw away a lead and lose the game.

This season v Liege. Can't really call it a mistake given the pitch conditions, but we lose the ball and their guy is unmarked at the back post - and it rolls under his foot and we win the game.

Fine margins.
Fine margins indeed. That simple mistake by the Liege player in atrocious conditions is the difference between us dropping two points right at the death and going on to secure the 3 points we deserved.

I'm not going to lie, I still sometimes get a wee pang of fear when Goldson takes more than a couple of touches. Easter Road aside the big man's been phenomenal though.
Connor has actually made a few mistakes, but he's recovered really well and sorted them himself. Just the odd drop in concentration. He's been a colossus for us so far though.

Yes there has definitely been a reduction in 'Fuckk sake Tav' moments. Squad are flying at the moment and Tav really is leading by example this season, absolute athlete and his contribution so far has been something else.

Need to ride the crest of the wave for as long as possible and hopefully further pull away from that other mob. I feel if this team can get a decent points gap going, coupled with the fact there is no fans, we really could run away with it.

If we beat Killie away with no major fuss I will allow myself to believe we might just win this league!
I said to @Woodsy that Killie will be the real barometer of where we are IMO. Taking care of them at ease (the way we should) will firm up my belief that over the lockdown something has really changed with this squad. We need to stop treating Rugby Park like some sort of massive test and treat it with a business as usual attitude.

I'm not going to lie, I still sometimes get a wee pang of fear when Goldson takes more than a couple of touches. Easter Road aside the big man's been phenomenal though.
He did that very thing twice on Sunday but was able to retrieve the situation, he has been different class since he signed but he is a mistake waiting to happen as he loses concentration now and again and gets caught on the ball of he plays a wtf pass into central midfield areas, where before he used to get punished but he has a confident team around him to clean it up when he doesn’t

Exactly how I see it too, with a slight twist. Your comment is absolutely valid, Goldson being the perfect example, but i think it's that lack of being punished (luck) combined with our defensive improvements as a team that has helped. These aren't gilt edged gifts under little pressure as we were left badly exposed that teams are getting this year. Even his one on one was under pressure with McGregor coming out and Helander moving across to him. Long may it continue.

Exactly how I see it too, with a slight twist. Your comment is absolutely valid, Goldson being the perfect example, but i think it's that lack of being punished (luck) combined with our defensive improvements as a team that has helped. These aren't gilt edged gifts under little pressure as we were left badly exposed that teams are getting this year. Even his one on one was under pressure with McGregor coming out and Helander moving across to him. Long may it continue.
Sometimes you go through a period where every little mistake seems to get punished and at other times you get lucky.

They do say that you make your own luck and the better understanding and unity among the defensive unit helps as there is a greater chance of others bailing you out when you do slip up.

There has clearly been a lot of work done on the training ground in terms of shape and cover which all helps.

As you say "long may it continue".

Reading through this it shows how important the fans are going to be when, not if we return. It's going to be imperative that we get behind the team from START TO FINISH, no exceptions. The team have been playing some great football and producing great results, we will need to show our appreciation, get behind them fully & not berate them for mistakes when we are back.

I said to @Woodsy that Killie will be the real barometer of where we are IMO. Taking care of them at ease (the way we should) will firm up my belief that over the lockdown something has really changed with this squad. We need to stop treating Rugby Park like some sort of massive test and treat it with a business as usual attitude.
Yes the lack of impatient, nerve inducing fans that put players on edge is the massive difference post lockdown!

Reading through this it shows how important the fans are going to be when, not if we return. It's going to be imperative that we get behind the team from START TO FINISH, no exceptions. The team have been playing some great football and producing great results, we will need to show our appreciation, get behind them fully & not berate them for mistakes when we are back.
I love the sentiment, although the first Tav corner to hit the 1st man, or the first time Goldson misses a headed clearance its all over lol

Ronnietheranger said:
I love the sentiment, although the first Tav corner to hit the 1st man, or the first time Goldson misses a headed clearance its all over lol

Aye - yer right but a man's allowed to dream right? :))

We are not conceding anything like the number of stupid free kicks as before, leading to less chances for the opposition.

Back