Influence on your kids’ football leanings

PMB1872

Bloody disgrace. My son who’s 4 is getting into the football now. I take him to a wee football class and just got him our strip at the weekend.

He goes into nursery and comes home he other day and I’m saying who are the good guys and he goes Celtic. I nearly went fucking mental.

He watched the YCF with me and he was asking me where I was off to when I went out on Sunday. I said to see the good guys and he said Rangers!

Two days later and the wee filth supporters who work in the place are poisoning his mind. Not their place to be saying anything if that’s his team.

Bloody disgrace. My son who’s 4 is getting into the football now. I take him to a wee football class and just got him our strip at the weekend.

He goes into nursery and comes home he other day and I’m saying who are the good guys and he goes Celtic. I nearly went fucking mental.

He watched the YCF with me and he was asking me where I was off to when I went out on Sunday. I said to see the good guys and he said Rangers!

Two days later and the wee filth supporters who work in the place are poisoning his mind. Not their place to be saying anything if that’s his team.
You think it’s the nursery staff? If so that’s a serious matter. There must a code of conduct about influencing young minds on things like politics, football etc...

My boy, also aged 4, has been similar. I've been taking his big brother to matches for a couple of years, yet to take him as he's got a terrible attention span and would simply ruin it for me and his brother - anyway out of nowhere he's decided he's a Celtic fan, seemingly stems from Nursery where he's in the "green group". I elected to ignore it and told him to support who he wants, it's taken a couple of months and he's finally came round to realising Rangers are the good guys.

Took a lot of patience not to go nuts!

I'd be having a word with the coaches. I'm not sure they should be vocal about the team they support. If they are, they certainly shouldn't be looking to spin a good/bad guy narrative.

Take him to Ibrox mate if you can.

I still see Ibrox as the same as I did at that age, still get goosebumps when I go.

My earliest memory was being with my Dad at 5 years old.

Apologies I've missed a point about the coach, call him out on that. Not on mate.

Take him out mate I’m sure there are loads of others. Either that take them aside and tell them to do what you pay them for or you’ll be giving them bad publicity

My son and daughter had no choice-The Famous Glasgow Rangers and all they stand for, or the bheasts?-Quite an easy decision.

My four old is definitely a Bearette. She was dancing around on sunday singing blue sea of Ibrox. I randomly and often ask her “who’s the people”, “WE ARE” she says every time.

I caught her singing follow follow in her room to her dolls on Monday night!

But I live in England, her loyalties wont be challenged down here.

Disgusting doing that to children, no wander they lot end up effed in the head, better watch they will be holding mass on sunday shortly

I’d be placing Rangers magazines and other things casually around the house, especially in areas where he likes to play. My grandad done that with me and Rangers ended so ingrained in me that being a fan was very much not a choice.

I didn’t have a decision to make.

I was forced into supporting Rangers and hating the mentally challengeds from a young age.

My youngest is 11 and he’s been into it since 4/5. Last weeks game he went with his older brother, top was off and he was giving it big licks to the vermin (only sit a couple of rows away from them)...11 years old with no adult with him , boys gonna be a nutter when he’s older

I've found it impossible to get my 7-year-old daughter into football. Other two kids are 4 and 1, so too young for it.

Problem I have is that football is never on the TV in this house so they don't see it. Used to be you'd have four channels, f**k all on three of them and you'd put the football on no matter what it was. You'd also make a point of watching decent things on TV like the football but now with tablets and laptops the kids can be immersed in a world of their own and not go near a TV all day. Only time my kids use my TV is when the tablets need charged and then it's YouTube that goes on. They certainly don't see it in the living room either because the wife hates football and she's camped in front of MY big telly watching utter shite!

Tried taking the 7-year-old to a few games but she just doesn't seem interested and I can't afford to go more than a couple of times each season so she can't get into it as a regular day out.

I still watch loads of football. Pretty much any Scottish game not involving them (unless it's against us) and the English lower leagues. However I watch nearly all of it on my laptop, or occasionally my phone, so it's in my space and not really open to them.

Really want them to love Rangers, hate Celtic and know about the game but as I said, it seems impossible.

You could argue that they're just doing what you are doing.

They could deny knowledge and just say he asks them who their team is and they tell him.

I don't really agree with forcing kids to support your team in any circumstances. I live in the South of England and decided I was no way going to "force" my kids to support Rangers. I'll make it clear who I support and whilst they are very small I've bought them strips, but if they want to support a different team it's up to them.

I should add though, I do have some sympathy for The OP - if one of my children said they supported Celtic that would not be acceptable - don't see it happening though fortunately.

My now 6 year old boy asked for a Rangers kit for his 5th birthday when he was 4. Not long before his birthday he then declared he supported West Ham. It was actually the wife that went tonto at him (because we had already forked out for the kit as one of his birthday presents I suspect) "WE SUPPORT RANGERS IN THIS HOUSE" she bellowed at him :))

When he opened his kit that he had already asked for he was over the moon. He soon asked to see a game at Ibrox and I took him up in February and he is very much a Rangers fan now.

My point is, you don't have to force it, I was concerned I would put my kids off if I did that. I have 2 younger ones than him also, be interesting to see if they follow his and my lead!

I should add I have some sympathy for The OP though, if one of mine said they supported Celtic, that would not be acceptable, fortunately I don't think that will ever happen!

They could deny knowledge and just say he asks them who their team is and they tell him.

I don't really agree with forcing kids to support your team in any circumstances. I live in the South of England and decided I was no way going to "force" my kids to support Rangers. I'll make it clear who I support and whilst they are very small I've bought them strips, but if they want to support a different team it's up to them.

I should add though, I do have some sympathy for The OP - if one of my children said they supported Celtic that would not be acceptable - don't see it happening though fortunately.

My now 6 year old boy asked for a Rangers kit for his 5th birthday when he was 4. Not long before his birthday he then declared he supported West Ham. It was actually the wife that went tonto at him (because we had already forked out for the kit as one of his birthday presents I suspect) "WE SUPPORT RANGERS IN THIS HOUSE" she bellowed at him :))

When he opened his kit that he had already asked for he was over the moon. He soon asked to see a game at Ibrox and I took him up in February and he is very much a Rangers fan now.

My point is, you don't have to force it, I was concerned I would put my kids off if I did that. I have 2 younger ones than him also, be interesting to see if they follow his and my lead!

I should add I have some sympathy for The OP though, if one of mine said they supported Celtic, that would not be acceptable, fortunately I don't think that will ever happen!
I think you do need to force it, well maybe just encourage it, especially in my circumstances. The mrs old man is a bitter mutant, if u just left it to the kids to make their own mind up i know for a fact that he would have been corrupting them with all that nonsense, and buying them green & grey tops...I had to make sure that never happened

I think you do need to force it, well maybe just encourage it, especially in my circumstances. The mrs old man is a bitter mutant, if u just left it to the kids to make their own mind up i know for a fact that he would have been corrupting them with all that nonsense, and buying them green & grey tops...I had to make sure that never happened

Personally don't have that problem, I'd have probably swerved a Mrs who had a bitter mutant for an old man but I appreciate it's less likely where I am. I would definitely discourage my children from supporting the scum but I wouldn't force them to support Rangers, I'd like to think it would happen naturally from seeing their parents' affiliations as in my case with my oldest. But we do have the school friends to contend with (predominantly Arsenal and West Ham) so I do run the risk of them not supporting Rangers. But I'd rather they found their own way, remember the old saying; "Rangers fans are born, not manufactured".

Personally don't have that problem, I'd have probably swerved a Mrs who had a bitter mutant for an old man but I appreciate it's less likely where I am. I would definitely discourage my children from supporting the scum but I wouldn't force them to support Rangers, I'd like to think it would happen naturally from seeing their parents' affiliations as in my case with my oldest. But we do have the school friends to contend with (predominantly Arsenal and West Ham) so I do run the risk of them not supporting Rangers. But I'd rather they found their own way, remember the old saying; "Rangers fans are born, not manufactured".
Gd points mate. I just couldn’t run that risk especially with my youngest, I work away so I could picture him trying to corrupt him straight away, that’s also the reason his name is Mason, there’s no way he could possibly try it.
To be fair my oldest took to the gers like a duck to water but the youngest needed a bit more encouragement...all good now though

It definitely needs to be consistent. I sometimes sing a tune or two walking from a to b in the house. That gets my kids thinking daddy’s in a playful mood. A favourite of theirs (4 yrs and 18 months) is the bouncy. Both of them have been bounced on my knee to that tune since they could sit up.

When I sing the songs now I do it loudly and when hand movements or a dance. 1, it makes them want to join in 2, makes it feel like a happy gleeful song, which makes them want more fun.

I do wear a jersey from time to time and they love the bright colours. My daughter loves to read and tells me who the sponsors are. I can ask her days later who it was and she remembers it. Other than the jerseys, I wear very few logo’d clothing.

Its just things that stand out to the kids, seem fun, and positive. But I wont stop doing it now, I think it needs to be a constant reminder.

I think if my daughter was told about supporting Celtic at school she’d let them know. “Celtic booooo” is her fave :) but as I said earlier, it wont happen here. But the last thing I need in my house is two Reading fans!

Have a word with them mate.

Nicely, to begin with.

From a very young age my children soon learned that anything green was banned from the house and they realised why.
Even though they're adults now they still know never to wear that colour coming anywhere near my house.
I even got rid of my grass, front and backdoor, because it was green.

Very childish I know, but there was never any danger of any of them supporting that mob.

From a very young age my children soon learned that anything green was banned from the house and they realised why.
Even though they're adults now they still know never to wear that colour coming anywhere near my house.

Very childish I know, but there was never any danger of any of them supporting that mob.

Nothing childish about it mate.

I'm sure it's the way plenty of us were brought up.

Apart from the grass lol.

Far more likely to be a kid in Nursery saying things

Far more likely to be a kid in Nursery saying things
You are of course also right, but I know a few of the filth persuasion work there and haven’t been shy about mentioning that lot in the odd comment in the past. Two in particular, who coincidentally clearly don’t like my son.

I worried about my daughter wanting to support them, my sister's partner is a Tim and was putting ideas in her head when they were watching her. I went round one night like a raging bull when she came home at 4 years old and said she wanted a Celtic top. I told my sister if he didn't rap it we wouldn't be back, ever. I've always wanted my kids to follow us and thankfully it's worked out. My son is fanatical about us and he's only 7. My girl supports us and watches us on TV but not as crazy as my son.

I live in the south of England, and as soon as the wee man was born he was bombarded with Rangers baby grows, quilt set, dummies, bottles and anything else baby related you can imagine from my family.
Been taking him to Ibrox for a couple of years now and he loves it.
At his mothers request (as it is a long day trip) I’ve took him to various local grounds. I’m immensely proud to say that every time I’ve asked him afterwards if he’d rather go to those grounds or Ibrox, he always says Ibrox.
If you ask him why he supports Rangers he’ll tell you “because I was born a Rangers fan”
He just knows, and if the OP starts taking his little one, he’ll get it too

My boy went through a similar stage when he was that age. Saying that he supported Celtic and wanted a Celtic top etc.

He is now 7 and Rangers mad and has all the tops, even the goalie one.

You think it’s the nursery staff? If so that’s a serious matter. There must a code of conduct about influencing young minds on things like politics, football etc...
I work in a school/early years(nursery) and the kids are not allowed to wear Rangers gear or their rag and while in school the kids are not meant to talk about them either, It’s the same for staff when kids are about.

My daughter is 3 next month, she won't eat brocolli, green beans or peas. She tears the wrapping off green crayons because they are the colour of celtic (in her words).

Wee legend. Both my kids know the score, we are Rangers. I took the youngest to Ibrox (outwith a match) when she had just turned 1 and she was amazed, reception even allowed us in for pictures. She isn't quite ready to attend a game yet but the missus said she sat for the nesr on the whole of the 1st half on Sunday and watched the game, so she won't be too far away.

I've had people in the past try to get them to shout celtic to wind me up but I just come down on them like a tone of bricks. Just won't have it at all.

My daughter is 3 next month, she won't eat brocolli, green beans or peas. She tears the wrapping off green crayons because they are the colour of celtic (in her words).

Wee legend. Both my kids know the score, we are Rangers. I took the youngest to Ibrox (outwith a match) when she had just turned 1 and she was amazed, reception even allowed us in for pictures. She isn't quite ready to attend a game yet but the missus said she sat for the nesr on the whole of the 1st half on Sunday and watched the game, so she won't be too far away.

I've had people in the past try to get them to shout celtic to wind me up but I just come down on them like a tone of bricks. Just won't have it at all.

Perfect parenting.

Both mine were born bears.

It wasn’t even up for debate.

Re your slithering coach, you don’t have to be aggressive with it, but that slimey bastard needs told that your kid is a bear and any attempt to influence a young and impressionable and vulnerable child otherwise will have repercussions.

He's 4, FFS and it's hardly as if he came home singing a song about Anton Rogan and calling for a united Ireland.

He's in Nursery, his wee pals may unfortunately like Celtic and he's repeated that, and when with you he will say Rangers because you are telling him to. Influence him by taking him to a match/buying merchandise etc.

What the fuk are scum fans doing working at nurseries ffk, they support a rancid club who deny any knowledge of what went on and fans who think legal tax schemes are worse that child abuse. Background checks must be getting overlooked in some of these places.

Feel for you OP but I wouldn't worry too much. At the end of the day, long term, it's you thats going to have the most influence over the wee man's choices, not some mentally challenged he sees once or twice a week.

I've got my 2 year old girl singing most of the words to Every Saturday We Follow and Every Other Saturday, telling her when I'm going to the football with her grandpa and uncle, who we're going to see, telling her when Rangers are on the telly, pointing to the badge if I'm wearing the shorts or top and asking "who's this?", talking about the photo of Ibrox we've got above the stairs..... just make sure Rangers seeps into their conscience without them even knowing it. She also loves going over to NI to see her nana and papa, especially in July when she sees "the bands"!

I don't mind if she doesn't like football or doesn't want to come along with me, but I'm pretty sure she'll grow up identifying as being from a Rangers family and having the appropriate levels of contempt for the filth. My sisters are like that.

Sorry mate, but have to disagree. When it comes to football it's my way or the highway. I could never accept my kids or grandkids supporting the beasts and make my feelings known on the subject regularly. I'm fortunate that both of my daughters had season tickets before they went to school. I deliberately took that decision and would do it again. Are you really telling me you could accept your kids supporting the mentally challengeds?

Sorry mate, but have to disagree. When it comes to football it's my way or the highway. I could never accept my kids or grandkids supporting the beasts and make my feelings known on the subject regularly. I'm fortunate that both of my daughters had season tickets before they went to school. I deliberately took that decision and would do it again. Are you really telling me you could accept your kids supporting the mentally challengeds?

If everyone had the same attitude as you there would be none of these jump the dyke mentally challenged supporters mate.

Nothing worse in my eyes than a Protestant supporting that mob.

Superb. :))

Staunch as fùck - love it. :cool:

I don't have any kids yet but it would destroy me if they ended up somehow supporting that lot.

That is just not an option.

Back