Information of the Funerals of the Ibrox Disaster

Twosignals

The Wife who will not post on here, (doesn’t like too) was looking through some of her Days when she played football, both in league and International away back in the Sixties, came across, this leaflet from Ibrox, outlining times, dates and places where funerals would take place. Why she had this leaflet is due to the fact on their Supporters Bus they lost one of their own who she knew very well. As for myself through the wall in the other close I lost someone that who was absolutely brilliant at football. The leaflet is foreworded by Willie Waddell. It is a time that us older Bears will never forget, I walked by stairway 13 and was totally unaware of any disaster. Eventually my Father contacted me by land line phone and was absolutely raging, why I hadn’t phoned to say I was O.K. Because I was totally ignorant of any disaster. The leaflet itself was well put out by our CLUB.

I take it this is different to the match programme from the Dundee United match where it listed just the names where the funerals took place and which players attended the funerals?

Your correct, although I wouldn’t call it a match programme as it’s only an A4 size, side on printed to four parts. Whatever it is very poignant and brings life into reality. As for taking a screen shot, I will ask a fellow Bear to assist

SbVZnZ8.jpg

1bu4NNR.jpg

WLmG0n5.jpg

Here are the inner pages in a bit better detail ...

Q5AXMS4.jpg

3FKmlJT.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I know what you mean, Ts. FF is going a bit funny today. That was my third attempt at posting the programme. For some reason, the photos kept going into your quote.

That programme was handed out to everyone at that game. It was the first match after the disaster and was preceded by 2 minutes silence.

That's right, MC. The photos I posted are of the actual programme given to me at the game.

SbVZnZ8.jpg

1bu4NNR.jpg

WLmG0n5.jpg

Here are the inner pages in a bit better detail ...

Q5AXMS4.jpg

3FKmlJT.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely haunting.I was one of the lucky ones as my Dad was very badly injured but survived.He has only spoken about it once,and to be honest to hear it once was enough.I have a photo from the Sunday Mail of Jock Stein carrying him on a stretcher.He stayed with my Dad until he was taken to Hospital then calling my Mum to let her know he was hurt but ok.I was 2 weeks old at the time.Our family was one of the lucky ones that day.I always shed a tear of both grief and gratefulness on the 2nd Jan every year.God bless all those families affected.

Wow, Bc. I was at the game with my mates (I was 16). We all used to stand in the Derry, and Stairway 13 was the way we always used to go out.

For some reason, we decided to treat ourselves to Main Stand seats for that game. I was back home and having my tea with my folks, and didn't know anything about it until a newsflash came on TV. I remember it so clearly. The first announcement said that there had been an incident at Ibrox and three people had died.

Every few minutes, another newsflash, and every newsflash gave a higher figure of casualties.

It's hard to believe that it was over 48 years ago.

Last edited:
That brought back a lot of sad memories.
Two of the boys who perished were schoolmates of mine at Victoria Drive - Tommy Grant and John Jeffrey.
It was fitting that young Rangers player, George Struthers, former pupil at Victoria Drive, was one of the Rangers representatives at the funeral.
So much sadness at the school for a long time afterwards.

Somehow even more tragic when you see the ages there in black and white.

Mostly just kids, never got a real shot at life. The Dundee Utd sub is also poignant.

Many thanks for posting this, sad as it is, it's a real treasure.

Thanks Clubdeck and theytriedtokillus.

I seem to have accumulated a collection of items from that awful day.

I still have the match programme and match ticket, the programme I posted above, the programme from the Scotland XI v Rangers / Celtic Select fund-raising game and Orders of Service from various Remembrance Days at Ibrox in the years since 1971.

I could never part with them. If Rangers ever get round to opening a museum, I'd gladly donate them.

Every time I see scumbags mocking the people who died that day, I despair a little bit more for what Scotland has become.

Sad times indeed, I've seen George Irwin's grave when going to my Nana's and he had a Rangers scarf over his stone last time I was there.

The Wife who will not post on here, (doesn’t like too) was looking through some of her Days when she played football, both in league and International away back in the Sixties, came across, this leaflet from Ibrox, outlining times, dates and places where funerals would take place. Why she had this leaflet is due to the fact on their Supporters Bus they lost one of their own who she knew very well. As for myself through the wall in the other close I lost someone that who was absolutely brilliant at football. The leaflet is foreworded by Willie Waddell. It is a time that us older Bears will never forget, I walked by stairway 13 and was totally unaware of any disaster. Eventually my Father contacted me by land line phone and was absolutely raging, why I hadn’t phoned to say I was O.K. Because I was totally ignorant of any disaster. The leaflet itself was well put out by our CLUB.

28regy1.jpg

2qwg7th.jpg

Thanks for posting that ,terrible horrible day we did not know what happened until one of our mates came in to our bus crying with no shoes on, I did not see what happened still remember my family in total panic until I got home . No mobile phones then at least I got home 66 never and I will never forget them.

Back