Iniesta - When Football Becomes Art

Hypnotic to watch.

What a player, could take any ball at any time and not only kill it but already be on the turn looking to play the next pass, which in itself was always the right pass.

Brilliant player, thanks for posting.

A joy to watch. When Barca came to Ibrox in 2007 I was mesmerised by him, up until then I had thought it was all about Xavi.

Reactions: TQ3
Some of those passes defy logic. His vision and technique to play an inch perfect through ball between 4 or 5 defenders is almost superhuman.

What a genius he was. That Barcelona side were a joy to watch. It’s mental to think we came quite close to getting Iniesta at Rangers.

Did Ineista ever look young?

Naw

Dx-WGadd-Xg-AIm-TQz.jpg

Genuinely wouldn’t have got through in Scotland, which sums up a lot of our problems.

Unbelievable player.

The goal at about the 55 second mark is one if the best goals I've never seen.

Double one two, flick past the defender and finish.

Oozes class.

The bit from 9:09 to about 9:18 is beyond ridiculous.

Best first touch I've ever seen, and the ultimate player where as a fan you wouldn't be concerned about losing the ball, no matter what position/state he received it in, and I include Ronaldo and Messi in that.

Typical FF that someone did actually say on the old board that he wasn't known for his dribbling.

Bonus prize if anyone can guess the player who was Iniesta's hero growing up and the guy he based his whole game on? Actually kinda obvious with hindsight when you see how they both played...

Bonus prize if anyone can guess the player who was Iniesta's hero growing up and the guy he based his whole game on? Actually kinda obvious with hindsight when you see how they both played...

Without googling anything I am going to guess Micheal Laudrup?

I’m honestly gutted he’s stopped playing at the highest level. He was just so good to watch, an incredible talent and the ultimate big game player. Man of the match awards in a CL final, a World Cup Final and a European Championship final. Messi must miss him big time because he was the last player Barca had, outwith Messi, who had the balls and ability to step up and take responsibility in big games.

Also the guy is quality in Impractical Jokers too

Murr-1-James-Murray-Reprint-8X10-Autographed-Signed.jpg

Would rather have iniesta in my team in his pomp than Zidane.

There. I said it.

I doubt France win the World Cup in 98 if that happens.

Iniesta was excellent etc - Zidane was a force of nature that dragged pretty poorly coached football teams to levels they likely wouldn't have reached without him.

He had a kind of signature move of taking the ball moving it to the other foot to take it by the opposition. Simple but he was immense at doing it. About 20 Seconds into that video. He leaves it until the last minute and then the balls on the other foot and he’s away.

He had a kind of signature move of taking the ball moving it to the other foot to take it by the opposition. Simple but he was immense at doing it. About 20 Seconds into that video. He leaves it until the last minute and then the balls on the other foot and he’s away.

That’s the Michael Laudrup dribble.

And Walter Smith knocked Iniesta back when he was 18 because we had enough midfielders and he was looking for a striker! Think it was only a loan deal but even so.

I doubt France win the World Cup in 98 if that happens.

Iniesta was excellent etc - Zidane was a force of nature that dragged pretty poorly coached football teams to levels they likely wouldn't have reached without him.

Zidane was pish in that WC apart from his 2 headers in the final (granted, pretty big contribution mind you). He got sent off in the 2nd group game.

Zidane was pish in that WC apart from his 2 headers in the final (granted, pretty big contribution mind you). He got sent off in the 2nd group game.

Yeah Zidane was absolutely mediocre at France 98 bar the final, usually weans that churn out the “dragged France to that World Cup” bollocks. Even then if Ronaldo shows up fit and ready in the final Brazil win that be default.

Zidane’s career seems to be approaching Maradona levels of over-romanticism. Bar World Cup 2006 I can’t really recall him dragging any mediocre or under-performing sides forward.

Who actually said that? I need to know so I can disregard absolutely every opinion they have on football from here on in.

Can't remember but they actually meant it. The Bear Pit has always been full of zoomers with no clue about football (just check match threads!)

We once had a guy, during a "Messi v Ronaldo - who's better?" debate, use the fact that Ronaldo speaks 3 languages and Messi only speaks 1 as "evidence" of Ronaldo being a better player.

Yeah Zidane was absolutely mediocre at France 98 bar the final, usually weans that churn out the “dragged France to that World Cup” bollocks. Even then if Ronaldo shows up fit and ready in the final Brazil win that be default.

Zidane’s career seems to be approaching Maradona levels of over-romanticism. Bar World Cup 2006 I can’t really recall him dragging any mediocre or under-performing sides forward.

Aye, right up there with the "Maradona won Argentina the WC single handedly" or "Won Napoli the Serie A title/UEFA Cup single handedly" brigade.

That Barcelona side (around 2012-13) with Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and Messi in the side must be one of the best ever.

South Africa when his corner led to their first goal
He was the key component in their opening goal against Saudi Arabia...
The Final

I'm not sure that's classed as "excelling". Look, I love ZZ as much as the next football fan, and agree he was one of the best midfielders of all time, but to say he excelled in the 1998 WC is just not true.

I'm not sure that's classed as "excelling". Look, I love ZZ as much as the next football fan, and agree he was one of the best midfielders of all time, but to say he excelled in the 1998 WC is just not true.

That is a view you have yes, but again it isn't one widely shared - good for you for thinking that though.

Would rather have iniesta in my team in his pomp than Zidane.

There. I said it.

Nah, not having that.

I loved watching Iniesta, always preferred watching him over Xavi in that great Barca side because of what we could do with the ball, an absolute magician.

However, Zidane was the master of the no.10 position and this clip alone proves that - an absolute lesson to all youngsters today that should be played on repeat at every opportunity.

Hitting a corner that leads to a goal isn't "excelling".

I'm not sure you get in the team of the tournament if you've had an average or less than average tournament, do you?

The darling of French football and the player everyone pretended to be in the playground, Zidane was propelled to superstardom thanks to his displays in this tournament. After helping his country to an opening day victory against South Africa, the Juventus star was sent off in the second game for a stamp on a Saudi Arabia player. He returned to guide his side past Italy, Paraguay and Croatia. Zidane was seen as one of the key men for France and netted two vital goals in the Final. He subsequently won the Ballon dOr for that year and a huge image of his face was projected on the Arc de Triomphe with the words Merci Zizou emblazoned across it.

I'm not sure you get in the team of the tournament if you've had an average or less than average tournament, do you?

Messi and original Ronaldo both won "player of the tournament" at World Cups despite both of them quite obviously not being...

Back