Injured Morelos traveled to Colombia despite being told not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Johnson

COLOMBIAN legend Faryd Mondragon has claimed Alfredo Morelos was ordered not to travel for a series of games for his country last year by then-manager Reinaldo Rueda because he was injured... but turned up anyway.

Morelos was at the centre of a bizarre episode last season when firstly, he travelled a total of 14,832 miles for two World Cup qualifiers against Argentina and Peru and didn't even make the bench for either of them.

Then he turned up for Colombia's crucial double-header against Venezuela and Bolivia in March only for the Colombian FA to announce halfway through that he was injured and he missed the rest of the season with Rangers, after having thigh surgery.

Former Ibrox hero Ally McCoist actually made the point at the time that players leave for international duty anyway.

He said: "Call me old-fashioned, but if he is injured, I'd have him on the first flight back to see and evaluate it.
"But I don't know how it works these days with international players, sometimes they can leave without permission, you know."

Morelos has never played for his country since and is stuck on 11 caps.
He last played for his country for just nine minutes in Colombia's Copa America campaign of seven games almost two years ago.

But goalkeeping legend Mondragon - who played in three World Cups and held the record for the oldest player ever to feature at the tournament at one time - came out with a curious theory about Morelos' absence in a South American sports show, Planeta Futebol.

He said: "I know for a fact that a player travelled for international duty with us last year when he was expressly told not to come because he was injured.
"That player was Alfredo Morelos.
"The former fitness coach of the national team, Carlos Velasco, told me he joined up without permission.
"I asked him why Morelos got on the plane without permission and he said he didn't know."

Colombia sacked Rueda after failing to qualify for the World Cup and are now managed by Nestor Lorenzo, who hasn't handed Morelos an international recall.

The striker is back in his homeland during the current break and courted confusion again at the weekend.
He pulled on an EVERTON strip for a kickabout on his South American trip and was pictured by his charity's social media manager.
The Toffees were one of the many clubs linked to the forward through his Ibrox career - but that may be approaching an end-point with his contract expiring at the end of this season.
The Scottish Sun has approached Rangers regarding the goalkeeper's claims.

COLOMBIAN legend Faryd Mondragon has claimed Alfredo Morelos was ordered not to travel for a series of games for his country last year by then-manager Reinaldo Rueda because he was injured... but turned up anyway.

Morelos was at the centre of a bizarre episode last season when firstly, he travelled a total of 14,832 miles for two World Cup qualifiers against Argentina and Peru and didn't even make the bench for either of them.

Then he turned up for Colombia's crucial double-header against Venezuela and Bolivia in March only for the Colombian FA to announce halfway through that he was injured and he missed the rest of the season with Rangers, after having thigh surgery.

Former Ibrox hero Ally McCoist actually made the point at the time that players leave for international duty anyway.

He said: "Call me old-fashioned, but if he is injured, I'd have him on the first flight back to see and evaluate it.
"But I don't know how it works these days with international players, sometimes they can leave without permission, you know."

He last played for his country for just nine minutes in Colombia's Copa America campaign of seven games almost two years ago.

But goalkeeping legend Mondragon - who played in three World Cups and held the record for the oldest player ever to feature at the tournament at one time - came out with a curious theory about Morelos' absence in a South American sports show, Planeta Futebol.

He said: "I know for a fact that a player travelled for international duty with us last year when he was expressly told not to come because he was injured.
"The former fitness coach of the national team, Carlos Velasco, told me he joined up without permission.
"I asked him why Morelos got on the plane without permission and he said he didn't know."

Colombia sacked Rueda after failing to qualify for the World Cup and are now managed by Nestor Lorenzo, who hasn't handed Morelos an international recall.

The striker is back in his homeland during the current break and courted confusion again at the weekend.
He pulled on an EVERTON strip for a kickabout on his South American trip and was pictured by his charity's social media manager.
The Toffees were one of the many clubs linked to the forward through his Ibrox career - but that may be approaching an end-point with his contract expiring at the end of this season.
"claims"

I have read many times of players being injured but still being part of the set up of teams to give a sense of unity with the team

This should be fun to see how his biggest cheerleaders on here spin this.

I stated many times last season when it happened and have repeated it since the , he could have told Colombia he was injured given the evidence on tv at Dens Park and in Belgrade just days prior.

International teams and clubs often operate on trust and I stated my view was there was no way he’d be summoned to Colombia if he stated he was injured - they’d have trusted him.

Now it’s claimed Colombia didn’t want him to travel over but he did so anyway. And by doing so, he ended up injured for months and missing our EL final.

Wow.

Simply further highlights that Rangers is bottom of Morelos priority list.

The day he departs the club can’t come quick enough.

Absolutely disgraceful

It contradicts what Colombia said at the time and what the club said in relation to his injury

Manager Reinaldo Rueda gave him another chance but rumours from the camp suggested Morelos had suffered an injury in training before he was nowhere to be seen in a 3-0 win over Bolivia.

The injury that has now been confirmed by the Colombian Football Federation and Morelos has been sent home despite a further match to come in Venezuela.

A statement read: "The technical and medical staff of the Colombia Men's Senior National Team reports that, after performing medical tests on player Alfredo Morelos, a muscle injury in the left thigh was confirmed, which prevented him from participating in the previous match against Bolivia and likewise does not allow him to participate in the next match of the qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.

I stated many times last season when it happened and have repeated it since the , he could have told Colombia he was injured given the evidence on tv at Dens Park and in Belgrade just days prior.

International teams and clubs often operate on trust and I stated my view was there was no way he’d be summoned to Colombia if he stated he was injured - they’d have trusted him.

Now it’s claimed Colombia didn’t want him to travel over but he did so anyway. And by doing so, he ended up injured for months and missing our EL final.

Wow.

Absolutely disgraceful
Mondragon is obviously a hater and knows nothing, because a fit Alfredo bullies defenders, ehm.

That's how it usually goes.

Last edited:
What’s the script with the whole Everton top thing? Is there more to it or is it as simple as man wears football top?

The noise continues.

I’ve never known a player with so much drama around him. Some justified, some not.

Either way… is he worth the hassle….? Only Michael Beale and Ross Wilson will be able to confirm. Although Douglas Park was quite damning at the AGM regarding “demands” of players going out of contract. Ofcourse this could be related to Kent, Jack, Arfield, McGregor, Davis, Helander rather than Morelos but I think it may be unlikely.

Personally I think Morelos will be on his way and the club won’t lose sleep over it. (Apart from the club seeing what was once an significant asset walk away for nothing)

He was good for us and we were good for him. Time to part ways though.

"Yes, I can hear you Faryd Mondragon"
rwiKKIehLx8F6Tg8F79Er8OIca_378Pazotk3bfAV7KzX1SguFoUi5YpVSAxVrygmJusCrar7a-NnaraiOCK5GlLlyzQaDvqU1OTHeD901nKawL0dkwbVmXHR7K9XvNj80W5kuQMFpxFtTyPvpaSsnXJFwikaPxfX2dka2VTPHBvUd5nVgzbxzEj_-PI8vvfS6nv55YXwm7rkgJ_MLioDAzZa1_Pf0GaY5i8aId-Zo1-8x0JnKf7lcEvaOjGfhF1mZFkNXt6d4bT=-w400-h400-n-rj-c0xffffffff

Wow.

Absolutely disgraceful
I'd they knew he was injured why was he in the squad?
Surely up to club to contact CFA and tell them our player is injured and unavailable?
Whats your thoughts on Souttar playing this season when he shouldnt have and ending uo missing most of the season? Day he departs cant come quick enough?
Taking The Sun as gospel is your first mistake.

I'd they knew he was injured why was he in the squad?
Surely up to club to contact CFA and tell them our player is injured and unavailable?
Whats your thoughts on Souttar playing this season when he shouldnt have and ending uo missing most of the season? Day he departs cant come quick enough?
Taking The Sun as gospel is your first mistake.
Suits the narrative on here.

I honestly think Morelos could be caught on video in the gallowgate with a celtic top on singing the fields of athenry and still there would be the same old folk on here claiming he didn't know what he was doing and to get off his back.

This guy can do no wrong in the eyes of some.

NINTCHDBPICT000381736110.jpg

Don't you still need to travel and be assessed by the national team?

Lafferty got done for something similar if I remember right.

Aye, but that's jist pyoor "spin" fae you ya Alfie-loving cheerleading radge.

You're 100% correct and the usual suspects are, of course, out in force... Imagine taking the bait from that rag of a paper and sticking the boot into one of our own.

Wow.

Absolutely disgraceful

LOL

Fuckd any lingering chance we had of winning the league.

He also missed out on playing a European Champions league Qualifier v Malmo as he decided to say on in Columbia an extra couple of days.

Ironically, two scum players pulled out of international duty. They both played at Ibrox the following week. One scored. The other got motm.

This is from last March, and it’s a fitness coach who told the guy who told the podcast?

Curious timing. You’d think we have three big games against Celtic coming up.

Radio show was from last Thursday

At the beginning of the same edition of 'Planeta Fútbol', Faryd Mondragón pointed out that in 2022 Alfredo Morelos was injured in Qatar World Cup Qualifying matches. In 2022, the team played four Qualifying games: at the end of January against Peru, at the beginning of February against Argentina, both on the same FIFA date, and in March against Bolivia and Venezuela.

This means that Alfredo Morelos, being injured, would have gone "without permission" from the coaching staff to some of those four games. It will be difficult to know exactly which ones, since Morelos, who entered the squad for the two FIFA dates, did not play and, in fact, was not on the bench in any of the four games.

I honestly think Morelos could be caught on video in the gallowgate with a celtic top on singing the fields of athenry and still there would be the same old folk on here claiming he didn't know what he was doing and to get off his back.

This guy can do no wrong in the eyes of some.

Or.

Some have the sense to asses situations based on events that actually took place rather than wanting to get seething as f*ck based on events that didn't?

FOLLOWING an injury sustained whilst on international duty with Colombia, Alfredo Morelos has undergone surgery to his thigh.

What’s the script with the whole Everton top thing? Is there more to it or is it as simple as man wears football top?
I think Everton had some involvement in Morlesos charity or it seems donated hence the reason for his wearing of the Everton strip,I may be wrong but I think it was as simple as that in any case why is our media scouring Columbia for quotes on one of our players it's ludicrous,have they not got more important things on their mind.

Or.

Some have the sense to asses situations based on events that actually took place rather than wanting to get seething as f*ck based on events that didn't?

FOLLOWING an injury sustained whilst on international duty with Colombia, Alfredo Morelos has undergone surgery to his thigh.

Be a bit strange for someone with no affinity to either us or celtic to make something like that completely up on a podcast, no? What are they gaining from making that up on a Colombian podcast?

I've seen it before where national teams want players to turn up so they can be assessed by their own medical team.

Wouldn't surprise me if Rangers have tried to claim off Colombian FA and they don't want to pay. Sounds strange that he would turn up and then just let him train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back