Injured Morelos traveled to Colombia despite being told not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granted we don’t know the absolute facts but given his piss poor discipline in the past - whether it be the petulance or returning home late from time off - it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I’m not sure why someone like Mondragon who probably couldn’t give less of a shite about Rangers would try and stir the pot by making such a thing up but hey ho.
It’s a shame how Morelos’ Rangers career is ending but it’s stuff like this that makes it easier to see him go.

Be a bit strange for someone with no affinity to either us or celtic to make something like that completely up on a podcast, no? What are they gaining from making that up on a Colombian podcast?

Gossip. Like millions of other podcasts. The story is so provably false, it doesnt really matter why he said it.

You cant just turn up without permission and start training fs. If this was about anyone other than Morelos it wouldnt even get a mention.

Btw do you honestly think Morelos can just turn up in Colombia without permission from Country and therefore club. Get an injury which had a substantial impact on our season. And no one? Not Gio. Not Robertson. Not Douglas Park would mention it?

Gio dropped him like a hot potato for the ECL qualifier in Eindhoven for his condition, but turned a blind eye to him flying half way around the world and injuring himself training with a team he didnt even have permission to join?

"Yes, I can hear you Faryd Mondragon"
rwiKKIehLx8F6Tg8F79Er8OIca_378Pazotk3bfAV7KzX1SguFoUi5YpVSAxVrygmJusCrar7a-NnaraiOCK5GlLlyzQaDvqU1OTHeD901nKawL0dkwbVmXHR7K9XvNj80W5kuQMFpxFtTyPvpaSsnXJFwikaPxfX2dka2VTPHBvUd5nVgzbxzEj_-PI8vvfS6nv55YXwm7rkgJ_MLioDAzZa1_Pf0GaY5i8aId-Zo1-8x0JnKf7lcEvaOjGfhF1mZFkNXt6d4bT=-w400-h400-n-rj-c0xffffffff
Beezus Fuffoon

Be a bit strange for someone with no affinity to either us or celtic to make something like that completely up on a podcast, no? What are they gaining from making that up on a Colombian podcast?

How selective.

It is strange someone in the media might say something that helps drive content for them at a time when those in the media work in a content driven world.

yet, a football association and football club seemingly lying about events is just totally normal, it isn't that part that would be the strange bit?

You take the word of this person as absolute truth, and the club and Colombia FA are liars?

This is from last March, and it’s a fitness coach who told the guy who told the podcast?

Curious timing from our old pals at the sun. You’d think we have three big games against Celtic coming up.
Ding ding, we have a winner.

No matter what your opinion of Morelos, there’s a reason this story exists and some are falling right into it for the millionth time.

I'd they knew he was injured why was he in the squad?
Surely up to club to contact CFA and tell them our player is injured and unavailable?
Whats your thoughts on Souttar playing this season when he shouldnt have and ending uo missing most of the season? Day he departs cant come quick enough?
Taking The Sun as gospel is your first mistake.
Squad was named well before Dens Park.

He knowingly travelled injured and trained less than 48hours after Dens Park
- that’s not up for debate

This should be fun to see how his biggest cheerleaders on here spin this.

I stated many times last season when it happened and have repeated it since the , he could have told Colombia he was injured given the evidence on tv at Dens Park and in Belgrade just days prior.

International teams and clubs often operate on trust and I stated my view was there was no way he’d be summoned to Colombia if he stated he was injured - they’d have trusted him.

Now it’s claimed Colombia didn’t want him to travel over but he did so anyway. And by doing so, he ended up injured for months and missing our EL final.

Wow.

Simply further highlights that Rangers is bottom of Morelos priority list.

The day he departs the club can’t come quick enough.

Absolutely disgraceful
He probably just wanted to go home during the international break. Seems perfectly fair for a young lad that's barely been able to spend any time with his family since he was about 19. I wouldn't begrudge him that.

You are deliberately twisting the story here too; he didn't end up injured because he travelled, he was injured before he travelled; that's like the entire point of the article but you don't seem to have grasped that?

"Alfredo Morelos was ordered not to travel for a series of games for his country last year by then-manager Reinaldo Rueda because he was injured"

I stated many times last season when it happened and have repeated it since the , he could have told Colombia he was injured
These two sentences contradict each other and make it seem like you're just spouting anything you can think of as long as it paints him in a bad light.

Ding ding, we have a winner.

No matter what your opinion of Morelos, there’s a reason this story exists and some are falling right into it for the millionth time.

The story exists because Faryd Mondragon said all this last week on Colombian Radio.

Aye, but that's jist pyoor "spin" fae you ya Alfie-loving cheerleading radge.

You're 100% correct and the usual suspects are, of course, out in force... Imagine taking the bait from that rag of a paper and sticking the boot into one of our own.
It’s not correct. Clubs and countries operate on trust

In the same international break Rogic withdrew from Australia due to injury and wasn’t required to travel to be assessed.

There goes another Morelos defence I’m afraid

No. Lafferty called off late on a Sunday night for no reason IIRC.

That's why he was done.
Was there not supposed to be some sort of ruling that meant if a player pulled out a national squad with an injury he would be unable to play for his club in the next X number of days?

Was just reading about Rashford's situation there as he seems to have a habit of pulling out of England squads but plays every game around the break for Man Utd each time.

The story exists because Faryd Mondragon said all this last week on Colombian Radio.
Well, as people have said earlier too - if he wasn’t expected to be there did they give him the jump seat on the aircraft and a camp bed to sleep on? It’s beyond weird, so I find it a bit dubious as a story. But no prizes why the media here would pick it up and run with it.

He probably just wanted to go home during the international break. Seems perfectly fair for a young lad that's barely been able to spend any time with his family since he was about 19. I wouldn't begrudge him that.

You are deliberately twisting the story here too; he didn't end up injured because he travelled, he was injured before he travelled; that's like the entire point of the article but you don't seem to have grasped that?

"Alfredo Morelos was ordered not to travel for a series of games for his country last year by then-manager Reinaldo Rueda because he was injured"

These two sentences contradict each other and make it seem like you're just spouting anything you can think of as long as it paints him in a bad light.
Morelos travelled whilst carrying an injury at Dens

Less than 48 hours after Dens, he took part in Colombia training.

He ended up injured following that training

You sound like an absolute spoilt child with statements like this.
You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. What I think there is little doubt over, is the fact that he would rather travel halfway round the world and sit in the stand, than play for the club that made him a multimillionaire.

The sun printing "claims"
And yet some people jump on Alfie before they know the facts
It’s one thing travelling to Colombia without permission.
Surely though, if he took part in training session’s and further travelling, he must have had permission to do so.
I’m sure he didn’t sneak onto the pitch or planes or buses.

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. What I think there is little doubt over, is the fact that he would rather travel halfway round the world and sit in the stand, than play for the club that made him a multimillionaire.

He played through a quad injury for a month with us, before this. Hes played through at least 3 injuries in the last 2 years for us as well.

But aye "doesnt want to play for us".

Let’s just focus on the things he has done for the team, not many games left now for him to score a few goals before he leaves, hopefully nets the winner in the semi against them, we thank him for his service and then move on, no point in moaning about him now as he is done here, look forward, if he really wanted to stay he would be busting a gut to get himself match fit and firing to earn a better deal but he is the shadow of the player he was (although in spells you can see it) his body has aged about 10 years in 18 months but it’s his loss.

I personally don’t think he will hit his previous heights again and will be a bench warmer for most of his career, hope i’m wrong and he finds a new lease of life at his new club but he has a massive issue going forward fitness wise.

We didn't have any games on he could have played in though, it was an international break.

The complete lack of logic on display around these parts lately is a real sight to behold.

It contradicts what Colombia said at the time and what the club said in relation to his injury

Manager Reinaldo Rueda gave him another chance but rumours from the camp suggested Morelos had suffered an injury in training before he was nowhere to be seen in a 3-0 win over Bolivia.

The injury that has now been confirmed by the Colombian Football Federation and Morelos has been sent home despite a further match to come in Venezuela.

A statement read: "The technical and medical staff of the Colombia Men's Senior National Team reports that, after performing medical tests on player Alfredo Morelos, a muscle injury in the left thigh was confirmed, which prevented him from participating in the previous match against Bolivia and likewise does not allow him to participate in the next match of the qualifiers for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
Can’t be true, we’ve got a player to shoot.

Why would you name an injured player in your squads if you don't want him to travel? Sounds like made up pish to me.
Actually it’s an explanation for why he didn’t even make the bench having travelled from across the world. Squad would have been announced before they knew he was injured and told him not to come. Morelos making a decision which adversely affected Rangers.

Granted we don’t know the absolute facts but given his piss poor discipline in the past - whether it be the petulance or returning home late from time off - it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I’m not sure why someone like Mondragon who probably couldn’t give less of a shite about Rangers would try and stir the pot by making such a thing up but hey ho.
It’s a shame how Morelos’ Rangers career is ending but it’s stuff like this that makes it easier to see him go.
His career is far from ending he'll be scoring around Europe for many years to come, unfortunately just not for us.

I would be upset about this if Alfie was a vital player for us.
He used to be but now he is someone else's problem.
Unfortunately he is vital right now as colak is miles from what we need. Saw it immediately when he came on against Motherwell. Start colak in the semi and I have zero faith we win.

Actually it’s an explanation for why he didn’t even make the bench having travelled from across the world. Squad would have been announced before they knew he was injured and told him not to come. Morelos making a decision which adversely affected Rangers.
As someone else above pointed out, by pulling out of an international game with injury you can be required to then miss a club game. Maybe he put his body on the line to help us, by not pulling out with injury and being forced to miss a Rangers game? It backfired clearly but he was never injury prone before it so seems fair to expect a fast recovery.

Peak 2019 Morelos, you can just about justify putting up with the constant sideshow you get from him. He is nowhere near worth it now and it should be a simple decision to let him go in the summer

Last edited:
Morelos should have made the decision on his own not to travel. We were in the title race, Europe and the Scottish Cup.

He had already missed games back in January due to rescheduled internationals (he was one of 3 players from a squad of 28 who didn’t even make the bench).

So while the quotes in the OP may be nonsense, it doesn’t detract from the main point - he put the trip to Colombia ahead of Rangers.

Or.

Some have the sense to asses situations based on events that actually took place rather than wanting to get seething as f*ck based on events that didn't?

FOLLOWING an injury sustained whilst on international duty with Colombia, Alfredo Morelos has undergone surgery to his thigh.
He was injured before he went away. We all saw it.

May have been aggravated over there but he was certainly injured before he went.

Morelos should have made the decision on his own not to travel. We were in the title race, Europe and the Scottish Cup.

He had already missed games back in January due to rescheduled internationals (he was one of 3 players from a squad of 28 who didn’t even make the bench).

So while the quotes in the OP may be nonsense, it doesn’t detract from the main point - he put the trip to Colombia ahead of Rangers.
By doing that he could have been forced to miss Rangers games though, that's the rules for pulling out of internationals with injuries. If anything he didn't pull out because he put Rangers ahead of his own health.

As someone else above pointed out, by pulling out of an international game with injury you can be required to then miss a club game.
That doesn’t make sense. Columbia would never have required him to miss games, he’s a fringe player at best for them. He’d have had that time to rest before potentially returning for Rangers too.

I honestly think Morelos could be caught on video in the gallowgate with a celtic top on singing the fields of athenry and still there would be the same old folk on here claiming he didn't know what he was doing and to get off his back.

This guy can do no wrong in the eyes of some.
Gies peace.
You’ve never known the Sun to exaggerate or blatantly lie?
You never read the story from last year.
All that’s being suggested is there are questions to be answered before we take the word of those in a Scottish tabloid who are looking to boost circulation and hits.

The more I read on here sadly the more I wonder if the folk posting vitriolic stuff towards various Rangers employees actually experienced 2012 then the 55th title and the surge to a European Final standing alongside me at games.

Really really pathetic stuff, I’m not going to get into back and forth with specific posters, but have a look at yourselves and what you’ve experienced as Rangers fans over the last few years and how you now speak about key people involved in doing it all for us. Dreadful.

He was training with the Colombia squad he was pictured doing so

He was not selected for Bolivia, then this

He has an injury we are sending him home.

Rangers probably got a payout too. (He did not want to play at Dundee after Belgrade and spent the prematch warmup and first half gesturing that at the staff)

Yes, it would be a bit strange.
Here’s a novel idea though.
Lets ascertain the facts here, let’s find the other side to a story, if there is another side of course.
Your man might be 100% correct then you can celebrate as as you want.
Maybe you’ll be able to answer my questions posted in post 84 and 92.

By doing that he could have been forced to miss Rangers games though, that's the rules for pulling out of internationals with injuries. If anything he didn't pull out because he put Rangers ahead of his own health.

That’s nonsense. Players pull out of squads all of the time without such repercussions. Indeed at the same time, if I recall correctly, a Celtic player withdraw from a squad.

The decision was on Alfie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back