Interesting (if smehow iffy) Scottish Premiership fan map

How can a club with such a tiny fanbase (LOL) have so much clout in the SPL?

Let the trumpets play!

Just found this by chance. It's based on Google searches, which is a bit dodgy, but interesting all the same. Also it lacks detailed data for many councils, including Glasgow, and Dundee is distorted by the fact that Dundee United were out of the Premiership that season.

I dont know about being the majority out of all the various club supporters in any particular region, I doubt any club can claim that but, across the Highlands and Islands, I'd say we are the largest individual support.

Worldwide as well. More popular everywhere except Australia, Republic of Ireland, Thailand and DRC.

So basically Celtic don't have a majority anywhere?

Celtics fan base over here in Northern Ireland and Ireland is probably their largest catchment areas. I hate to say it but in Northern Ireland they would outnumber us!

A lot within the unionist community here would have an English team as their first choice and Rangers as their second, whereas in staunch Republican areas it’s Celtic first! The case years ago though when I was growing up with the likes of the gazzas, laudrups etc Rangers would have been first preference but that kinda swindled away a bit especially through our years down the divisions with the younger generations.

It is however changing as last few years again as more and more youngsters seem to be now putting Rangers first, I think that’s down to the Stevie G era and now our run to the Europa league final.

Hopefully it continues to grow. There is defo a lot more fans travelling over as last few years

Worldwide as well. More popular everywhere except Australia, Republic of Ireland, Thailand and DRC.

Was it Congo where the Scottish Media were telling us young African lads would get round the camp fire with a knackered old radio to tune into Super Scoreboard to hear news of how their favourite team got on at the weekend?

I worked for a number of years in Edinburgh and would say Hearts are the best supported team followed by Rangers, Hibernian and Septic.
This is based solely on the amount of supporters I came across.

East Ayrshire is 100% majority Rangers, lived here the last two years and I’ve never met a Celtic or Killie fan. Know of two Motherwell fans and everyone else Rangers

I worked for a number of years in Edinburgh and would say Hearts are the best supported team followed by Rangers, Hibernian and Septic.
This is based solely on the amount of supporters I came across.
Hearts have a decent support over here surprisingly.

I know a good few who attend games on a regular basis and have at times seen a few of them on the boats heading across when I’ve been on them.

East Ayrshire is 100% majority Rangers, lived here the last two years and I’ve never met a Celtic or Killie fan. Know of two Motherwell fans and everyone else Rangers

So youve lived in East Ayrshire for 2 years and know the whole area? Hahahha.

I would argue that East Ayrshire is a majority Rangers fans, but it's not 100%

Hearts have a decent support over here surprisingly.

I know a good few who attend games on a regular basis and have at times seen a few of them on the boats heading across when I’ve been on them.
There’s a decent cluster of Hearts fans in the highlands. Apparently they came up for a pre-season tour in their late 1950s/early 1960s pomp and converted a whole generation of boys.

There’s a decent cluster of Hearts fans in the highlands. Apparently they came up for a pre-season tour in their late 1950s/early 1960s pomp and converted a whole generation of boys.
My mate who stays in and is from Oban is a Hearts supporter. His old man moved up from Edinburgh to work in the Cruachan power station.

Celtics fan base over here in Northern Ireland and Ireland is probably their largest catchment areas. I hate to say it but in Northern Ireland they would outnumber us!

A lot within the unionist community here would have an English team as their first choice and Rangers as their second, whereas in staunch Republican areas it’s Celtic first!
Probably that bit yes. But overall I don’t think they’re any different nor significantly larger in number here in NI than we are.

Which is that both clubs have a significant number of first choice fans plus a larger contingent of fans of the EPL that identify along obvious lines for their second team.

In terms of actual match attending, fully committed supporters we outnumber every club in every jurisdiction in Scotland. I used to stay on South Lanarkshire area and I can confirm that is heavily Rangers. Had to pass through Law Village one time and there were UVF flags up on 3 houses on the Main Street! Republicans BEWARE!

So youve lived in East Ayrshire for 2 years and know the whole area? Hahahha.

I would argue that East Ayrshire is a majority Rangers fans, but it's not 100%
I was born & brought up in East Ayrshire and where I grew up met 1 bloke who was a Killie supporter. Outwith Killie they are not supported.
95% Rangers, all Catholics and a few non-catholics Celtic, and two brothers that were Hibs fans as their dad was originally from Edinburgh.

Not sure about the Presbyterian-majority Hebridean islands being Rangers minority areas. I'm sure I read that the largest Rangers supporters club in the world is in Stornoway. The founders of RFC had an obvious link with Northern Ireland as Moses and Peter McNeil's mother (Jean Bain) was from County Down and their brother, Harry, went over to her home county in the 1890s to run the Royal Hotel in Bangor.

Rangers were founded by pro British protestants with links to Northern Ireland!

what utter guff in that article

Spot on, the 4 Lads founded a team for football reasons only.

It was the formation of Celtic and their courting of Glasgow's Irish Catholic population that slowly changed everything. If Glasgow was going to have a mainly Catholic football club the protestant majority were going to have one to. Led by the great number of Ulster protestants, who worked in the Govan and surrounding areas shipyards, Rangers were the obvious choice, the club was right on their doorstep once their Saturday morning shift was over - the rest as they say is history..

Back