Interesting stats on Ryan Jack

As I stated before back before we signed RJ he was the only non-Celtic player anywhere near the top of the midfield passing stats-no Rangers players featured.

He hasn't actually/improved changed that much but our overall quality has.

I am fully expecting Aribo to eclipse him and SD's performances the last two games are highly encouraging but he was until this season started easily our best midfielder.

If I had the choice of picking only one of these players for us, it would be definitely Ryan Jack.

Not convinced with that argument-if you are talking our team's dynamics I don't think Davis and Jack totally compliment each other-I think Jack's better further back-he plays slightly further forward as SD is now probably not totally capable of doing his old style job. As standalone players you might argue some on that list are more dynamic than Jack.

As I stated before back before we signed RJ he was the only non-Celtic player anywhere near the top of the midfield passing stats-no Rangers players featured.

He hasn't actually/improved changed that much but our overall quality has.

I am fully expecting Aribo to eclipse him and SD's performances the last two games are highly encouraging but he was until this season started easily our best midfielder.

I think that's a massive underestimation of Jack. His game has changed noticeably in the last two seasons. He came to us a 'safe' midfielder who was good at the defensive side and yes, didn't often lose the ball. He's now someone who carries the ball forward and picks quality forward passes as well as remaining that 'safe' midfielder.

And there's more to come, I'm sure.

Not convinced with that argument-if you are talking our team's dynamics I don't think Davis and Jack totally compliment each other-I think Jack's better further back-he plays slightly further forward as SD is now probably not totally capable of doing his old style job. As standalone players you might argue some on that list are more dynamic than Jack.

I think that they may be more dynamic going forward, (although Jack has vastly improved in that area) but Jack gives a far better defensive coverage.

I think that's a massive underestimation of Jack. His game has changed noticeably in the last two seasons. He came to us a 'safe' midfielder who was good at the defensive side and yes, didn't often lose the ball. He's now someone who carries the ball forward and picks quality forward passes as well as remaining that 'safe' midfielder.

Totally agree @Zapp Brannigan RJ is now more prepared to carry the ball forward, take on a man, and take shots than he was in previous seasons. Long may it continue

Jack's really came on and looks much more willing to go forward. Showing signs of getting amongst the goals, assists and key passes this season. Defensively he's been fantastic at screening & breaking up play, which is ideal when we've been suffering from sucker punch counters the last few seasons.

I was worried with us loaning out McRorie but so long as Jack stays fit I think we'll be alright.

Central midfield is quite strong and competitive for Scotland at the moment.

McGregor
Jack
McGinn
Fleck
McTominay
McLean
Armstrong

I've said before and got slaughtered for it, Scotland have a better squad than teams like Iceland etc. We have not reached anywhere near the potential of the players involved. Fully fit, Scotland can put out a right decent side.

He will be an important player for us for years to come, the longer he is disrespected by Scotland the better it will be for us.

I've said before and got slaughtered for it, Scotland have a better squad than teams like Iceland etc. We have not reached anywhere near the potential of the players involved. Fully fit, Scotland can put out a right decent side.
Agree but we lack a few forward options. Thumb is probably the only credible striker, maybe McBurnie but he's still to prove himself.

Don't understand why shinnie is anywhere near that list, he’s brutal. As good as Jack is, and as much as I love him doubt Steve Clarke will have him anywhere need the squad.

I sincerely hope if young Ryan is picked for the next Scotland squad he tells the mentally challenged jakeball to go and take a good fu.ck to himself.

Sad but true.

That list of central midfielders for Scotland is very impressive.

Add that to No Neck, Fraser etc.

It's centre half and centre forward where we're pretty much f*cked.

I also believe the smaller countries tend to have good runs when one really special player comes in and drags them up. Scotland haven't had that in a long time.

I've been one of RJ's biggest defenders on here but I do think when he and SD are in the same team we can be a bit one dimensional-it would work in some games where we might need to be tighter but I'm not sure we require both in every game that's my point.

It's centre half and centre forward where we're pretty much f*cked.

I also believe the smaller countries tend to have good runs when one really special player comes in and drags them up. Scotland haven't had that in a long time.
Hate to say it, but thumbheid is by far the best scottish centre forward that could be selected.

I'm struggling to think of a very good Scottish centre half. McKenna is decent, he's certainly not 10m or whatever laughable amount Milne and McInnes wanted. Liam Lindsay could be that player though.

I don't think Clarke is brave enough to do it, but I'd line up with an attacking 4321.

GK Liam Kelly
DR Stephen O'Donnell
DL Andy Robertson
DC Liam Lindsay
DC Scott McKenna

MC Ryan Jack
LMC John McGinn
RMC Callum McGregor

RIF James Forrest
LIF Ryan Christie

CF Ryan Fraser or Leigh 'thumbheid' Griffiths

I suspect Bain will be the Scotland number one despite being pretty poor all round, and Tierney will be shoehorned in somewhere (I expect RB), and we'll get Shinnie at CB or in midfield, but I grew up watching dull, shite Scotland teams fail. At least if they had a go and failed, it might get folk through the gates.

McGregor
Jack
McGinn
Fleck
McTominay
McLean
Armstrong

No offence to McTominay and McLean, but neither are currently good enough to oust the other 5 and both have proven not good enough in the international arena

I'm probably one of Jack's biggest fans but do those stats not just show that he passes the ball a lot and is quite accurate? If you hadn't seen Jack consistently then you could probably argue that the stats probably mean he's very good at making simple passes hence the high number of passes per game.

we obviously know that would be nonsense but that's because we watch him and not the stats.

I'm probably one of Jack's biggest fans but do those stats not just show that he passes the ball a lot and is quite accurate? If you hadn't seen Jack consistently then you could probably argue that the stats probably mean he's very good at making simple passes hence the high number of passes per game.

we obviously know that would be nonsense but that's because we watch him and not the stats.
So the other players should have similar stats, no?

No matter how it's dressed up, his stats are better.

Hate to say it, but thumbheid is by far the best scottish centre forward that could be selected.

I'm struggling to think of a very good Scottish centre half. McKenna is decent, he's certainly not 10m or whatever laughable amount Milne and McInnes wanted. Liam Lindsay could be that player though.

I don't think Clarke is brave enough to do it, but I'd line up with an attacking 4321.

GK Liam Kelly
DR Stephen O'Donnell
DL Andy Robertson
DC Liam Lindsay
DC Scott McKenna

MC Ryan Jack
LMC John McGinn
RMC Callum McGregor

RIF James Forrest
LIF Ryan Christie

CF Ryan Fraser or Leigh 'thumbheid' Griffiths

I suspect Bain will be the Scotland number one despite being pretty poor all round, and Tierney will be shoehorned in somewhere (I expect RB), and we'll get Shinnie at CB or in midfield, but I grew up watching dull, shite Scotland teams fail. At least if they had a go and failed, it might get folk through the gates.
Far too many 19th Century Terrorists, Liam Kelly doesn't get a game at QPR and surely we should be giving McBurnie a run of games up top

Far too many 19th Century Terrorists, Liam Kelly doesn't get a game at QPR and surely we should be giving McBurnie a run of games up top
Trouble is, there's very few of decent stock who should be there.

Shagger would be a no brainer, but he's retired. Kelly is a better keeper than Bain, regardless of whether he's getting a game for QPR or not.

Halkett at centre back maybe?

McBurnie isn't on the same level as the other 2.

George, get yourself up to Ibrox for a game !

George supports the Filth. At least his dress sense, his sexual proclivities, his real name, his shite songs ( I mean, I bet Do you really want to hurt me was number 1 on the St. Pats team bus) and the fact that he comments on Rangers threads certainly suggest this.

McGregor
Jack
McGinn
Fleck
McTominay
McLean
Armstrong
Scotland should be doing far better than they have.

I'd have a midfield 3 of either McTominay/Fleck (hard to say, i've not seen enough to see if McTominay is actually any good) Jack and McGregor.

I'd use McGinn wide right, like Walter used Davis in the 2008 Euro run.

And a left winger and lone striker.

Scotland need to be difficult to beat, first and foremost. We've seen the effect a strong well utilised midfield can have.

Problem with Scotland team is central defence and keeper if you ask me.

My 11 would be

Archer

O’Donnell
Robertson
Cooper
Hanley

Jack
McGinn
McGregor
Armstrong

Forrest
McBurnie

I think our midfield is good and the two for the forward positions are fine though not top class.

The problems are with defence. RB isn’t good enough, CHs prone to errors and I think the keeper is the best of a bad bunch. I would play Cooper instead of McKenna as I think he plays at a higher level and is less error prone.
The goalie is a very difficult one and I think Archer is slightly better than Bain, both aren’t good enough though.

Problem with Scotland team is central defence and keeper if you ask me.

My 11 would be

Archer

O’Donnell
Robertson
Cooper
Hanley

Jack
McGinn
McGregor
Armstrong

Forrest
McBurnie

I think our midfield is good and the two for the forward positions are fine though not top class.

The problems are with defence. RB isn’t good enough, CHs prone to errors and I think the keeper is the best of a bad bunch. I would play Cooper instead of McKenna as I think he plays at a higher level and is less error prone.
The goalie is a very difficult one and I think Archer is slightly better than Bain, both aren’t good enough though.

It is all a matter of opinions but come on, Grant Hanley, no way. I don't rate McKenna that highly but I'd pick him over the bomb scare that is Hanley.

As you mention in goal is a problem area but other than that and Hanley not a bad shout.

Most Leeds fans I know think he’s absolutely rotten.

I live in Leeds, it honestly seems quite split but more seem to favour him. He's good with the ball at his feet, decent in the air, concentration definitely what hurts him being a top CB imo.

I don't actualy mind that Scotland don't pic Jack or any of our players tbh but on ability he definitely deserves a call up and a place in the starting 11.

A midfield trio of Jack, McGinn and McGregor would actually be more than decent for Scotland.

Most in our squad have improved but Jack imo has improved the most. Don't confuse me saying that as making s case for Jack being our best player, that would be Alfie closely followed by Tav

I agree with you on Jack mate. He’s an unsung hero for us. When he doesn’t play it is noticeable that we don’t control games nearly as well.

I’m not sure who I’d say has improved the most because so many really have including the three players we have mentioned.

Are some people seriously suggesting Jack should get a game ahead of the likes of McGinn and
McTominay - both turning out regularly in the Premier League?

McGregor
Jack
McGinn
Fleck
McTominay
McLean
Armstrong

In fact I genuinely don't know who you would pick him in front of there...Armstrong and possibly McLean?

Latest posts

Back