International Breaks are Disruptive and Unnecessary

grascots

Official Ticketer
Once again we have to endure a few weeks of disruption to domestic football. Any momentum from a a good run is lost, fans feel deprived, it puts pressure on an already congested fixture list and I am sick of them.
They seem to be getting more frequent, last longer and for the life of me I don't know why we can't go back to the days Internationals being played mid-week with no disruption to the fixture list.

We could really do without this international break, as we seem to be getting some momentum going - at long last !!

Once again we have to endure a few weeks of disruption to domestic football. Any momentum from a a good run is lost, fans feel deprived, it puts pressure on an already congested fixture list and I am sick of them.
They seem to be getting more frequent, last longer and for the life of me I don't know why we can't go back to the days Internationals being played mid-week with no disruption to the fixture list.

They are a load of rubbish for the reasons you outline.

W.A.T.P.

Aw goodness I detest them. I know in Britain there’s a real dislike of international football, isit the same across Europe? Can we expect change anytime soon to rid us of the disease that is international week?

Thing before the current set-up with the Internationals there would be no game today since there would Internationals this coming midweek

Add to the fact that club domestic is now crowded as well they decide to streamline the international periods throughout the world - March, June, September October and November than allow nations countries to play to suit them

Totally agree with the general sentiment here.

They are a pain in the feckin arse....should go back to mid week or at least get your games played if you dont have players involved.

The current format has been there at least 10-12 years if not longer

September 2007

League game September 1
International September 8 & 12
League game September 15

Only difference is the 2 games are now spread over a 6 day period

The current format has been there at least 10-12 years if not longer

September 2007

League game September 1
International September 8 & 12
League game September 15

Only difference is the 2 games are now spread over a 6 day period

It seems to have intensified but maybe I am just getting even more fed up with it as my interest in International football further diminishes.
I hate it with a vengeance now.

Aw goodness I detest them. I know in Britain there’s a real dislike of international football, isit the same across Europe? Can we expect change anytime soon to rid us of the disease that is international week?
There's talk of fewer international breaks, but any international break would be for a longer period

It seems to have intensified but maybe I am just getting even more fed up with it as my interest in International football further diminishes.

Tend to agree a bit as International football isn't for everyone, maybe in this country it more to with the SFA, the media's part in it as well and the corporate greed to increasing income makes it unattractive now

Yep especially when you are on a good run...Only advantage is when you need time for key players to recover...Otherwise a total pain...Also coz Scotland never get anywhere anyway

Yep especially when you are on a good run...Only advantage is when you need time for key players to recover...Otherwise a total pain...Also coz Scotland never get anywhere anyway
it's the same for every club so not much to be gained.

We could really do without this international break, as we seem to be getting some momentum going - at long last !!

We’ve had momentum like this (two wins on the bounce) a number of times.....

It’s the next one that troubles us.

Personally, all things considered.... I think this international break has come at a good time for us.

Wallace can’t be too far away, get Dorrans and Cardoso back fit. New manager in this week with a couple of weeks to sus out his new squad.

This is where I am.
The weekly routine of league football used to be almost a working man's right, now it has been stolen from them by people who ruthlessly squeeze the sport for money, and as for ordinary fans, they really no longer matter a damn.

A pointless diversion from proper football.

And from our point of view I’d rather be keeping the momentum going off the back of the last two games.

Couldn't give a toss about international football and I wouldnt cross the road to my local park to watch Scotland, happen that they might be playing there.

What's the point of these meaningless friendlies,when the rest of the world heads for the World cup we're left behind twiddling thumbs. Can't stand them the reason being it kills momentum of the team the only plus is players carrying injuries time to recover,totally ruins the Saturday for me and absolutely no interest,why would I support an association that hate Rangers. No.

Absolutely detest the international break. It feels like we can't get any momentum at all this season.

We’ve had momentum like this (two wins on the bounce) a number of times.....

It’s the next one that troubles us.

Personally, all things considered.... I think this international break has come at a good time for us.

Wallace can’t be too far away, get Dorrans and Cardoso back fit. New manager in this week with a couple of weeks to sus out his new squad.
Do you think that these 3 player's will walk straight back into the team ?

Do you think that these 3 player's will walk straight back into the team ?

If I’m being honest..... when fully fit - I think they’ll stroll back into the team.

Not saying that’s correct or they deserve to but there’s no way wallace and Dorrans (atleast) will be on the sidelines any longer than they need to be.

Do you think these guys won’t come straight back into the team when their fit?

I am sick to the back teeth of these international breaks, they're absolute garbage. Only positive I can take from this one is if we get a new gaffer in and it gives him some time to work with the players before a game.

If I’m being honest..... when fully fit - I think they’ll stroll back into the team.

Not saying that’s correct or they deserve to but there’s no way wallace and Dorrans (atleast) will be on the sidelines any longer than they need to be.

Do you think these guys won’t come straight back into the team when their fit?
Alves, yes. The other two, i'm not too sure that they'll walk straight back into the starting XI.
Murty comes across as someone who will stick by player's who are performing, as seems to be the case with Danny Wilson

Alves, yes. The other two, i'm not too sure that they'll walk straight back into the starting XI.
Murty comes across as someone who will stick by player's who are performing, as seems to be the case with Danny Wilson

They need to get Wallace back ASAP .John's loan deal is due to run out and Leeds are apparently wanting to take him

Can’t stand international weekend, however it’s a local derby for my Junior team Kilwinning Rangers playing Irvine Meadow at home on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

International football used to be a chance to see different players and names you had only ever read about.
Now they all play in England or Spain and are on telly every week so the excitement of seeing them has totally gone.
When you add in the fact it means i don't get to see Rangers then they can shove it as far as im concerned.

International football used to be a chance to see different players and names you had only ever read about.
Now they all play in England or Spain and are on telly every week so the excitement of seeing them has totally gone.
When you add in the fact it means i don't get to see Rangers then they can shove it as far as im concerned.

Spot on. The wall to wall coverage we have now has curtailed the mystery there used to be around football.

Fully agree with this but it's all about TV revenue. Spread the Internationals over five consecutive nights and ensure every one is covered live on TV. Fatcats in UEFA and FIFA love it, not too mention the backsliders at the SFA !!!

Hate international breaks, wish they would just go back to having the games on a wednesday night and have the proper football the saturday before and after. This break in the domestic callender is aload of nonsense.

On the plus side, the sellic team is beginning to creak at the seems and the more of them that get called up for meaningless friendlies, the better as far as I am concerned. They will drop a lot of points when their players run out of steam.

I was going with the impression that it would be someone other than Murty in charge.

Even still, I’m fairly confident that - rightly or wrongly - wallace, Dorrans and Alves (maybe even Cardoso) will stroll back into the team when they are fully fit.

As I said on another thread have ALL international football in the summers. One summer is qualifying and the next summer is the tournament.

Players can opt to play for their country or not. None of this, they must show up if chosen pish. That way players who are happy to have only a short summer holiday can play if picked.

Fans get football 12 months of the year and those with an interest in international games can tune in if they want to and/or plan summer holidays around matches/tournaments.

And for those of us who hate it we can enjoy an uninterrupted season of proper football.

Back